Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah, the backlash was so incredible to the new New Warriors from all sides. The chuds hated it because of course but the people whom it was aimed at hated it even more they just buried it shallow and moved on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The whole thing felt so tone deaf that each side could project whatever they wanted on it. It was like a Rorschach test where everyone just saw a strawman. in fact it is quite surprising that there wasn't a character called Strawman.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Was that New Warriors the one that had a character who had been exposed to "Internet gas"?

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

It was tone deaf for that time especially, and it was really odd coming from Kibblesmith who is usually a pretty funny guy.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
But we still got the Social Justice Warriors in that issue of Cap Falcon! :rolleye:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I’m still convinced those characters were going to be a bait and switch and would have been replaced with the ‘real’ team by the end of the issue. Nobody could have genuinely thought they were good concepts, right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Marvel was still being run by that chud Perlmutter at the time, wasn't it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

Marvel was still being run by that chud Perlmutter at the time, wasn't it?

yup.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn’t they give Firestar big pointy cat-eye glasses like the target in all those “triggered blue-hair feminist” memes from that time? It almost seems like they were trolling people.

This quote from the creator seems like it could be read as an incredibly sarcastic dig at how dated and out-of-touch the concepts in the original series were:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Didn’t they give Firestar big pointy cat-eye glasses like the target in all those “triggered blue-hair feminist” memes from that time? It almost seems like they were trolling people.

This quote from the creator seems like it could be read as an incredibly sarcastic dig at how dated and out-of-touch the concepts in the original series were:

Oh, now it makes sense, they were trying to be as now as The New Warriors were in 1990, so they pretty much hit the mark.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Air Skwirl posted:

Oh, now it makes sense, they were trying to be as now as The New Warriors were in 1990, so they pretty much hit the mark.

I feel like even in 1989, "negro" should probably not appear in official company memos. Especially when you seem fine to use "black guy" and even "African American" elsewhere in the same document.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CzarChasm posted:

I feel like even in 1989, "negro" should probably not appear in official company memos. Especially when you seem fine to use "black guy" and even "African American" elsewhere in the same document.
:ssh:a black guy wrote that to make fun of out-of-touch white writers:ssh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

You should look up who Dwayne McDuffie was before you post in the comic book forum ever again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

I feel like even in 1989, "negro" should probably not appear in official company memos.

Is this too long for a thread title?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

Is this too long for a thread title?

If it is, just make it end at "appear" and see how long it takes the other subforums to ask what the hell is going on in here.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CapnAndy posted:

:ssh:a black guy wrote that to make fun of out-of-touch white writers:ssh:

Air Skwirl posted:

You should look up who Dwayne McDuffie was before you post in the comic book forum ever again.

Well, that's absolutely on me as yeah, I must have missed who it was that sent that out. In my defense, it is so on point for something I would have expected white writers at either of the big two to pitch.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
It was written back before real life and parody merged. We all thought nuclear war was right around the corner, and the phones were horrible, but looking back it was just a much simpler time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I mean, it's not too far from the truth, since DeFalco created Night Thrasher after seeing that skateboard magazines were big sellers at newsstands.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There is like, an ancient DC one-shot/what-if story, like a single issue. It has Bruce and Diana pairing up and shows them throughout their life with each other. They end up ruling Themyschira together and in the art for it, Diana is loving JACKED.

Does anyone know what comic I'm talking about? I swore I read it one ages ago and I'm looking for it again for a friend.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vandar posted:

There is like, an ancient DC one-shot/what-if story, like a single issue. It has Bruce and Diana pairing up and shows them throughout their life with each other. They end up ruling Themyschira together and in the art for it, Diana is loving JACKED.

Does anyone know what comic I'm talking about? I swore I read it one ages ago and I'm looking for it again for a friend.

There was an issue in Joe Kelly's run where Diana has some unresolved feelings for Bruce that resulted from a kiss or something and Martian Manhunter creates a machine to let her see how their life would play out together. Not sure the issue number but that might be what you're thinking of.

EDIT: Google search led me to this. This is the issue I was talking about. It might be the one you're thinking of as well.

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/jla-90/15a83f84-99c6-4f02-8dd3-fd1f2b028599

X-O fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 9, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I think there was an issue in Tom King's Batman where the two of them fill in for this guy that fights demons or something for all time so he can take a day off in the real world and rest. Bruce and Selina were together so I don't think there was an actual relationship, but the two of them were together and under stress and time was perceived differently. I'm remembering this really half assed I'm sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I too require pictures of jacked Diana, for a friend

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

site posted:

I too require pictures of jacked Diana, for a friend
I mean, if you don't need them to be official canon... https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...iw=1200&bih=746

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Tomb Raider/WW shipping in some of those makes me sad they've never really done more with Rucka's revamp of the Cheetah.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

X-O posted:

There was an issue in Joe Kelly's run where Diana has some unresolved feelings for Bruce that resulted from a kiss or something and Martian Manhunter creates a machine to let her see how their life would play out together. Not sure the issue number but that might be what you're thinking of.

EDIT: Google search led me to this. This is the issue I was talking about. It might be the one you're thinking of as well.

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/book/jla-90/15a83f84-99c6-4f02-8dd3-fd1f2b028599

JLA #90, that's the one. Cheers.

Gaz-L posted:

The Tomb Raider/WW shipping in some of those makes me sad they've never really done more with Rucka's revamp of the Cheetah.

I will forever be sad that Tomb Raider/Wonder Woman is never going to be an actual comic and I can only hope that Sejic does more art of the two in the future. :negative:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They also teased Bruce & Diana as a couple in the DCAU, with Bruce actually having a pretty good explanation as to why it wouldn't work

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also teased Bruce & Diana as a couple in the DCAU, with Bruce actually having a pretty good explanation as to why it wouldn't work

And Diana having a pretty good counter-argument...

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The episode where the league is turned into children has the best interactions between Bruce and Diana. An all time favourite episode.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

The episode where the league is turned into children has the best interactions between Bruce and Diana. An all time favourite episode.

And then Bruce ruins EVERYONE 's day with the last line of the episode

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TwoPair posted:

And Diana having a pretty good counter-argument...
What were they? I ain't got time to watch TV, I have comics to read!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nessus posted:

Bruce does the whole "grrrr. My enemies would target my loved ones"

And Diana reminds him she's virtually invincible.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

To be specific, she picks up a gargoyle and crushes it in her bare hands.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

He also mentions being a rich kid with issues, major ones, or is that a separate conversation? I don't remember which eps have it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah your problem with dating Batman is: You're dating a man who had almost every opportunity in life available to him, and chose to dress up like a bat and beat the poo poo out of clowns. Justified? Yes. Improving society? At least a push.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nessus posted:

Yeah your problem with dating Batman is: You're dating a man who had almost every opportunity in life available to him, and chose to dress up like a bat and beat the poo poo out of clowns. Justified? Yes. Improving society? At least a push.

Wonder Woman’s a demigod princess who fights giant Chinese eggs and furries

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

He also mentions being a rich kid with issues, major ones, or is that a separate conversation? I don't remember which eps have it

Same episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZz2BfOn4tc

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

Also you should make time. Justice League is some awesome TV and way better than the justice League comics you would read.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
All right, let me see if I can make sense of the DC Comics fiction world since the inmates started running the asylum in the early 2000's.

1) Crisis on Infinite Earth happens. All worlds either destroyed or collapsed into singular world.

2) Zero Hour happens to try and paper over various cracks. At some point, 'Hypertime' is introduced; instead of infinite universes, there are infinite timelines. Is that not the same thing?

3) A decade later, they decide to do an official sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis. Multiverse is recreated, but with only 52 Earths, main earth becomes 'New Earth'.

-Final Crisis doesn't have any multiverse alterings

4) Flashpoint reworks main universe considerably, merges it with Vertigo and Wildstorm. Heroes are younger, origins and whatnot are retold (Scott Snyder's Batman: Year Zero), Superman is dating Wonder Woman, it's a new 52.

Fans in the end don't bite and new fans do not materialize.

5) Convergence happens, this...restores the multiverse? Because two characters went back to the first Crisis and altered what happened? I think it somehow causes DC Rebirth?

6) DC Rebirth happens, they start building up doing a sequel to Watchmen as the reason the DC Universe changed, because Dr. Manhattan mucked with it for an experiment for...some reason, I think Convergence allows them to start bringing stuff back like classic Wally West?

7) Doomsday Clock, the sequel, begins. I THINK it's supposed to be the next big universe altering story...but the comic gets so ridiculously delayed that DC ends up shoving it aside and in the end it contributes little to changes, hence making the whole myth arc that started from Flashpoint end in a wet fart. Since he can get his books out on time, DC instead starts doing the big changes with Scott Snyder, who does...

8) Dark Nights: Metal. Decides to make it so all the multiverse worlds are the 'light' side of a map and than there's a 'dark side' of corrupted, evil worlds. Supposed big bad of that dark multiverse, Barbados, makes a play to take over the light one, fails, this shatters the Source Wall.

-I think around here Dan Didio tries something called 5G to tie into, of all things, an upgraded wireless band and it fails and this finally gets him fired or something. But it also somehow involves alternate DC worlds.

9) This releases Perpetua, and oh yeah she's actually the highest godly being that ever existed and she influenced events behind all these previous Crises, it turns out the main overseers of the first Crisis are her kids, she's part of some super omnipotent race called The Hands, and she wants everything to be changed up because otherwise she'll die, or something. So there's another Dark Nights event, Death Metal, and Perpetua dies and Snyder's pet Batman Who Laughs takes over but gets defeated by Wonder Woman and this creates an omniverse where everything exists.

-And somewhere in between the last few, Grant Morrison writes The Multiversity which is another take on the multiverse but it's basically one long meta commentary of him having grown bitter over the realization that he wants to tell stories that have a beginning and end and DC will just keep perpetuating a loop because the hardcores can't let go and also there's some villain called the Gentry and the Empty Hand who are supposed to represent ultra hardcore terrible fans and well at least we got some good stories and...

10) Wait no, there's some new big writer called Joshua Williamson who I never heard of and he's doing something called DARK CRISIS and he's mining Alan Moore for stuff like so many others with an aside from when Moore was writing Swamp Thing there was this GREAT DARKNESS and no IT'S what was actually behind EVERY crisis EVERYTHING HAS TO BE TIED TOGETHER never mind we just had Perpetua be the one behind everything and wait never mind it's got no mind of its own it was because some guy from the first crisis went insane and corrupted it somehow and also the omniverse that was formed in Death Metal was false but at the end of Dark Crisis which gets revealed to actually be Dark Crisis On Infinite Earths the actual infinite Multiverse is back wait wasn't it back in Convergence ARRRRGGHHHH

And I could have sworn I may have asked THIS EXACT SAME QUESTION BEFORE, with just some new stuff tacked on at the end. Le sigh.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cornwind Evil posted:

2) Zero Hour happens to try and paper over various cracks. At some point, 'Hypertime' is introduced; instead of infinite universes, there are infinite timelines. Is that not the same thing?

-Final Crisis doesn't have any multiverse alterings
2) They described Hypertime as, basically, a river with tributaries that branch off in interesting ways but ultimately rejoin downstream. There's definitely a "right" Universe, everything else is an offshoot.

Basically NoPrize poo poo like "Wait why did Lex not remember that (bullshit)" oh, Hypertime! It was a momentary shift that we saw!

Morrisson(?) Had an idea for a HYPERCRISIS and lots of that got folded into Final Crisis.

- FC actually gave us a map of the Multiverse and standardized the numbers of some of the 52. That whole map that DC reuses was created in FC (with, like New Genesis and Apokalypse on opposite sides, the source wall enveloping everything, etc. There were still a few blanks, but you got stuff like E2 is definitely the Crime Syndicate world, E44 is the JSA, etc.

Prior to that it was just "there are 52 earths!!!" But what they were was just kind of up in the air.