Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Happy Landfill posted:

Seems like he was a really young, inexperienced guy who got taken in by the promise of making money and jumpstarting his career. Can't say I wouldn't have accepted the same offer. And yaeh, Illuminaughtii is just posting though it. Doesn't seem to be tweeting, though.

Honestly, I'm still stuck on the fact that she replies to herself using sockpuppets to poo poo talk her former collaborators.

Can we just obliterate the conspiracy/grifter takedown channels except Munecat's and let her have the whole space to convert into an EDM disco hall?

Oh also

:siren:James Townsend is talking about ships biscuits again!:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tdBrpp1V0

And Kaz Rowe is gazing into the TikTok abyss to talk about historical misinformation that spreads there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NflBAcsJ4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

it doesn't locate anything, it uses associations to string words together.

I meant as a comparison to a search engine. A functional search engine isn’t going to generate a list of sites that never existed but resemble a training dataset.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Can we just obliterate the conspiracy/grifter takedown channels except Munecat's and let her have the whole space to convert into an EDM disco hall?

Oh also

:siren:James Townsend is talking about ships biscuits again!:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tdBrpp1V0

And Kaz Rowe is gazing into the TikTok abyss to talk about historical misinformation that spreads there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4NflBAcsJ4

Can Tara Mooknee stay?
I guess her takedowns are usually aimed at the negative aspects of culture, more than conspiracies/grifters

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 17, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Sardonik posted:

One of the more bizarre buried ledes here is that she wanted to have this kid as a tenant, so she could become a landlord. She wanted to be his landlord, employer, and holder of the title of the vehicle he was driving.

It's also the only way her bizarre purchase of the BMW for him made sense, the payments would have been another element of keeping control of him. Which is likely why she went with a goddamn new BMW rather than a sane, older used car.

She even tried to stick him for the depreciation of the car as he prepared to turn it in. I bet she felt so proud of herself for such a cold gently caress you move. Then she repossessed it and threw away all his possessions in it for his crime of visiting his family in Austin with it.

On a lighter note, thank you for watching the video I posted earlier. :)

The fact that she texted him about coming to take the car at 3am and when she didn't get a response....hmm, where have I heard that before?

She wanted to be a bunch of people's landlords, if I remember correctly. She was trying to get a neighborhood built so that her employees could buy the homes from her or something? Given how she treated Wonder I feel like that neighborhood would be like an HOA on crack where if you go an extra week without mowing your lawn she make a snarky aside about you in one of her videos to her millions of followers

You're welcome! Totally dig your videos and you got a subscribe out of me. Keep up the good work! :shobon:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zedd posted:

I tend to forget Notch was married.
Did his whole meltdown/starting to be actively terrible start after the divorce? Cause he certainly isn't the most terminally divorced billionaire on the net any more.

True. Elon has outstripped him by a country mile, but I do think of Notch whenever I hear 'money doesn't buy happiness' because all it got Notch was puttering around the lonely halls of his McMansion with rotting candy in the walls because nobody would visit and his neighbors certainly don't want him to visit.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Dawgstar posted:

True. Elon has outstripped him by a country mile, but I do think of Notch whenever I hear 'money doesn't buy happiness' because all it got Notch was puttering around the lonely halls of his McMansion with rotting candy in the walls because nobody would visit and his neighbors certainly don't want him to visit.

Notch left all his family and friends to start a new life in beverly hills for some reason, I understand the issue with people having a hard time relating to you if you're a nuevo-rich tech-billionare from both your new neighbors and your old friends but I'm certain he would've been happier if he just didn't leave his old life behind, sure, he might not have had many friends before but he did have someone I gather.

He could've started a new company with that money or be an indie-game investor, he could've been so much more but instead he chose to move away from everything and sulk in his mansion.

I don't know what he does nowadays, if he still lives in the US or if he has new friends or whatever but if I where him I'd start rehabilitating my image, get some help from a shrink and start doing something useful with all that money.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Kamrat posted:

Notch left all his family and friends to start a new life in beverly hills for some reason, I understand the issue with people having a hard time relating to you if you're a nuevo-rich tech-billionare from both your new neighbors and your old friends but I'm certain he would've been happier if he just didn't leave his old life behind, sure, he might not have had many friends before but he did have someone I gather.

He could've started a new company with that money or be an indie-game investor, he could've been so much more but instead he chose to move away from everything and sulk in his mansion.

I don't know what he does nowadays, if he still lives in the US or if he has new friends or whatever but if I where him I'd start rehabilitating my image, get some help from a shrink and start doing something useful with all that money.

Because he is a misanthropic Nazi driven by resentment, Notch will not do any of those things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

What makes ChatGPT different from a search engine?

It's more like autocomplete that goes on much longer than normal autocomplete by making poo poo up

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Happened across this two-part series of a guy wandering around long dead multiplayer/metaverse games and it rules. It's a fun topic and he's very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNDfvNqPILg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzoJe72_0nA

E:FB that's what I get for leaving the new post tab open overnight. Either way, enjoy buying music

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 17, 2023

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

DoctorWhat posted:

Because he is a misanthropic Nazi driven by resentment, Notch will not do any of those things.

Well yeah ofc. I'm just saying in an ideal situation, it's the only way for him to be truly happy, he can also just sit in his mansion while yelling at the world which is far more likely

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Pigbuster posted:

E:FB that's what I get for leaving the new post tab open overnight. Either way, enjoy buying music

:colbert:

I really like this kind of stuff, documenting all the games/art that in some cases will just vanish into nothingness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Google does start deleting inactive accounts then a whole lot more than just dead game servers are going to vanish. God knows how many videos will disappear from YouTube.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't they say that YouTube videos wouldn't be affected?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Everything on the internet will disappear one day, google is just helping it along

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

If Google does start deleting inactive accounts then a whole lot more than just dead game servers are going to vanish. God knows how many videos will disappear from YouTube.

They've said accounts with uploaded videos won't be deleted. And I'd say an ominous "for now..." but I don't see how deleting unused accounts won't buy them enough storage space to not have to increase the deletion reach. Still sucks, though.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Kamrat posted:

Everything on the internet will disappear one day, google is just helping it along

All information will eventually degrade or be lost, or at least it will if you don't invest $59.95 in my magic entropy-reducing machine today!

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Hm, I guess it's time to download some anchient but still beloved videos from youtube I guess. =/

Also the entirety of Due South that got digitally cleaned by AI ( as in attempting to fix film deteritation ) that's legal because the film rights are owned by Canada.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pigbuster posted:

They've said accounts with uploaded videos won't be deleted. And I'd say an ominous "for now..." but I don't see how deleting unused accounts won't buy them enough storage space to not have to increase the deletion reach. Still sucks, though.
They're not deleting the accounts for storage, they're deleting them because gmail is a major source of compromised accounts generating spam. Which is good, all you have to do is break in before two years is up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Twincityhacker posted:

Also the entirety of Due South that got digitally cleaned by AI ( as in attempting to fix film deteritation ) that's legal because the film rights are owned by Canada.

Gordon Pinsent should be preserved for future generations so I'm game with this. Paul Gross take it or leave it though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

All information will eventually degrade or be lost, or at least it will if you don't invest $59.95 in my magic entropy-reducing machine today!

my poo poo will be fine, i have it aging in my digital locker

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

KingKalamari posted:

Yeah aren’t most VHS tapes past a certain age almost guaranteed to be degraded already? I think CDs are supposedly good for a century but we’ll see

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

my poo poo will be fine, i have it aging in my digital locker

all my favorite videos will be safely stored forever in my powerful brain

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't they say that YouTube videos wouldn't be affected?

Twincityhacker posted:

Hm, I guess it's time to download some anchient but still beloved videos from youtube I guess. =/

https://twitter.com/YouTubeLiaison/status/1658829489466384387

YouTube accounts are spared from the purge for now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Gordon Pinsent should be preserved for future generations so I'm game with this. Paul Gross take it or leave it though.

Paul Gross #1 crush now and forever must never be forgotten.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Paul Gross has apparently gone all these years without some colossal oopsie so he is to be admired.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Pigbuster posted:

lol

fun hater
May 24, 2009

that myhouse.wad is insane on a technical level. ty for sharing. more stuff like that please. i love deep dives into weird game or online spaces.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fun hater posted:

that myhouse.wad is insane on a technical level. ty for sharing. more stuff like that please. i love deep dives into weird game or online spaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NREzIye0cE this is very worth the watch along those lines if you've never seen it

e: oh, one note. there's a part in the video where it talks about a guro hentai image of a girl with her body parts chopped apart in a box. this is explicitly not shown in the video, but it's mentioned because it's an important part of the map it's in. (it's a landmark) it's not explicitly described just i made the mistake of looking up what it was out of curiosity and yep that sure is a lady with dismembered body parts image.

not engaging with that image does not ruin your enjoyment of the actual video and what it's covering. it's the only thing like that in the entire map series.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 18, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

Paul Gross has apparently gone all these years without some colossal oopsie so he is to be admired.

I'd call Passchendaele an oopsie because as decent as the scenes in Belgium are the stuff in Alberta SUCKS.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMNFj02IB24
Don't think I saw anyone link the new Grimbeard in here yet; This time he's reviewing Vagrant Story!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NREzIye0cE this is very worth the watch along those lines if you've never seen it

e: oh, one note. there's a part in the video where it talks about a guro hentai image of a girl with her body parts chopped apart in a box. this is explicitly not shown in the video, but it's mentioned because it's an important part of the map it's in. (it's a landmark) it's not explicitly described just i made the mistake of looking up what it was out of curiosity and yep that sure is a lady with dismembered body parts image.

not engaging with that image does not ruin your enjoyment of the actual video and what it's covering. it's the only thing like that in the entire map series.

im familiar with the image bc it used to be a shock image in rotation back in the ancient times but ive always wondered where the gently caress it came from. the only full version of its ive seen has a rotten.com watermark, which shows how ancient it is. it like erupted from the ether out of nowhere fully formed and gross. anyway youre right that no one needs to see it. i forgot abt this map ty.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only anime shock image I remember from the era of rotten.com was the legendary making GBS threads dicknipples. the name is all you need to know, truly a repulsive thing

it was that, goatse, lemonparty and tubgirl that got me back in the day, I managed to dodge pretty much anything else like the pain series

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

the only anime shock image I remember from the era of rotten.com was the legendary making GBS threads dicknipples. the name is all you need to know, truly a repulsive thing

it was that, goatse, lemonparty and tubgirl that got me back in the day, I managed to dodge pretty much anything else like the pain series

The one that still haunts me is motorcycle.jpg, a guy with his jaw torn off and his nose down just a bloody mess after presumably a motorcycle accident. His eyes looked so dead I wonder if it was a dummy but gently caress tempting fate by looking that up.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Leekspin was shock-adjacent

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Leekspin was shock-adjacent

You're thinking of meatspin.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Hel posted:

You're thinking of meatspin.

Meatspin wasn’t anime, leekspin is anime while being a parody of meatspin. It was frequently used as a bait-n-switch link in the same way as meatspin in IRC to be a surprise for those expecting the latter. Thus calling it adjacent

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The only thing that I remember from reading rotten.com was the people seen eating aborted fetuses.

EDIT: There are very few downsides to having a terrible memory, but "forgetting the horrors you've seen" is one of them.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

realizing how old bleach is now counts as a shock

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

realizing how old bleach is now counts as a shock

Bleach was the first anime I ever pirated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Happy Landfill posted:

Bleach was the first anime I ever pirated

That's a fun topic:

Rose of Versailles was my first tape anime piracy.

You're Under Arrest! was my first online anime piracy.

Either Sexy Commando Gaiden or Jungle Wa Istumo Hare Nochi Guu! FINAL was my last anime piracy of either kind.

Assuming fansubs count as piracy, if not it was an 8MB realvideo file of the second episode of NGE after buying a $30 tape that contained a single loving episode.