Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
C'mon, it's not like they can afford to due basic research. Due diligence, in this economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
who would have thought that all those shady (crypto) trading platforms that no normal person has ever heard of are scams

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

look sometimes anonymous gambling companies just aren’t spicy enough

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nawilo_420 posted:

who would have thought that all those shady (crypto) trading platforms that no normal person has ever heard of are scams

It’s really funny when crypto companies buy stadium naming rights here and immediately go belly-up.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

has to be one of the best “this is a scam” indicators going right now

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The flowchart for "is this crypto thing a scam" is one box, no lines

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Ivan Toney's been banned for eight months after admitting to 232 breaches of the FA's betting rules.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ooooff

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Why wait until now when he has impacted results against Spurs rivals, with Spurs benefitting from him being banned from their match.

Either do it when he admits the charges or at the start of next season.

:tinfoil:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't think Spurs are suddenly going to play well against Brentford without Toney in the team

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Gambling: worse than biting and racism

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Exponentially.

It's the exact same suspension Rio Ferdinand got for skipping a drugs test so I guess we know where the FA really gives a poo poo.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

But equivalent to kicking a oval office from Crystal Palace

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We can't have gambling sully the good reputation of the Premier League, now anyway lets see what those kits look like

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

This being an FA charge, Toney could theoretically go play abroad, right? And, if so, could he do it as a loan or would that not be allowed since he'd technically still be a Brentford player?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

This being an FA charge, Toney could theoretically go play abroad, right? And, if so, could he do it as a loan or would that not be allowed since he'd technically still be a Brentford player?

Can he be picked up by an English Champions league side and play in all the pointless group games? I could see him at Arsenal tbh.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Joey Barton's ban got transferred to France when he did back in 2012, I don't think Toney would be able to do that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The good news — for Toney — is that if he does move to a league governed by a different association, the ban transfer can only apply to league and domestic cup games. Barton moved to Marseille and was totally free to play for them in Europe.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Not if the FA have anything to say about it

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1659154891221131265

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Apparently Toney bet on himself to score a lot, before it was common knowledge he would be in the matchday squad (I assume that means you get better odds?) and also bet on his own team to lose when he wasn't playing lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Apparently Toney bet on himself to score a lot, before it was common knowledge he would be in the matchday squad (I assume that means you get better odds?) and also bet on his own team to lose when he wasn't playing lmao

lol, pretty stupid considering that any agent worth their salt would ensure a goal bonus in their contract anyway

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vyelkin posted:

Considering the sheer amount of times he bet over how long I think the only sensible solution is to ban sports gambling

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

vyelkin posted:

So don't put your money where your mouth is. Got it.

I do like that he believed in himself :3:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
At least he wasn't doing the Le Tissier scam of betting on the time of the first throw in and just hoofing the ball into touch from the kick off.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

lol, pretty stupid considering that any agent worth their salt would ensure a goal bonus in their contract anyway
he legit has a problem, logic doesn’t really come into it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don’t want to be controversial but imo it’s super lovely that football is 100% in bed with the gambling industry while taking such a high handed approach with players who bet

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jesus WEP posted:

don’t want to be controversial but imo it’s super lovely that football is 100% in bed with the gambling industry while taking such a high handed approach with players who bet

It's this

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's pretty stupid to ban him from playing football, now he has more time to bet, this might worsen his addiction.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

jesus WEP posted:

My wholesome premier league club will no longer have a gambling company sponsor on its shirt next season ahead of the actual ban

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

yeah it's really stupid, every match is surrounded by advertising saying BET BET BET but then if you bet and you're the wrong person it's worse than racism and biting your opponents

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

yeah it's really stupid, every match is surrounded by advertising saying BET BET BET but then if you bet and you're the wrong person it's worse than racism and biting your opponents

Luis Suarez had a long and fruitful career with a few minor suspensions despite doing a racism and biting three (3) players on the pitch.

E: 4 months for the Chiellini bite, 10 games for biting Ivanovic, 2 for the bite while playing for Ajax, and 8 for the racism

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 26, 2023

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I do like that he believed in himself :3:

https://youtu.be/16Qv_p0ILWc

jesus WEP posted:

Lampard voice: but yeah seriously this

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

vyelkin posted:

My hot take is whilst I agree the pervasive advertising in football (and all sports tbh) sucks it's absolutely right for there to be huge punishments for gambling, particularly on your own team/performances. It's up there with doping for sporting integrity.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they’re doing that too, sometimes helped along by the backroom staff with pressure from above

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
They should just lean into the gambling and let players bet on whatever, but make it so all player bets are public so it’s just absolute chaos from minute to minute.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

My hot take is whilst I agree the pervasive advertising in football (and all sports tbh) sucks it's absolutely right for there to be huge punishments for gambling, particularly on your own team/performances. It's up there with doping for sporting integrity.

I do agree with this I just think it's quite hypocritical for them to take so much money from gambling companies with one hand and then turn around and tell everybody that gambling is wrong and addictive and harmful and poisonous to the integrity of the game with the other. The gambling companies are doing their best to raise a generation of fans who think gambling and sports are inseparable and hey look at somebody like Toney, they did it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I thought we had a lot of gambling adverts on but then I watched a Spanish La Liga broadcast round by brother in laws house and wow. They're still shilling NFTs and the commentators do the full sales pitch as well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

I thought we had a lot of gambling adverts on but then I watched a Spanish La Liga broadcast round by brother in laws house and wow. They're still shilling NFTs and the commentators do the full sales pitch as well.

Oh ya a lot of other leagues took the crypto sponsorship money while it was not as much in Premier league where they had big sponsors non crypto related. Like Inter Milan and Roma have been playing last 2 months without a sponsor because they signed with a fraud Crypto company called Digitalbits.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

anyone who still invests in nfts in 2023 deserves what they get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

anyone who still invests in nfts in deserves what they get