Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

ToxicFrog posted:

Well gently caress. RIP Nightdive, it was great while it lasted.

The current CEO of Atari is someone who has already been investing in Nightdive for years. We aren't going anywhere or changing anything, aside from using the extra financial backing to actually improve on deals and licensing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

turok 3 port i beg

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Quantum of Phallus posted:

turok 3 port i beg

PLEASE :cry:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Can't wait for Turok Rage Wars PC!!

Stockwell posted:

SOF2's campaign was kinda crap and forgettable, with bad forced stealth sections, but I can't even remember at what point you use the OICW during the campaign, not to mention that it was entirely omitted from multiplayer which was good, like a slightly more grounded Quake 3.

The gore system was neat though, can't think of the last game that had that kind of detail, maybe Last of Us 2?

Dead Island 2's gore system is pretty detailed. Meat comes off, bones break, and you can see their floppy organs, it's actually pretty disgusting

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Nightdive please buy the rights to bring Bloodborne to PC please I beg you

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

It's one game license, how much could it cost

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I know we're all talking about the fact that HROT was just released but don't forget that the very weird Elder Scrolls Daggerfall style dungeon crawler meets CDROM era low quality FMV game Hand of Doom (full version of the Dread X Collection minigame) also just came out, this is exactly the sort of weird mid-90s fps you would expect to see on the 3DO right next to Immercenary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqk8iFkoQE

Barudak posted:

Looking forward to buying HROT cause laffo if you think Im dumb enough to get burned by Zelda again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hand of Doom looks sick

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Hand of Doom looks sick

I want that game to ripppppp, anyone play it?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

turok 3 port i beg

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rocket Pan posted:

The current CEO of Atari is someone who has already been investing in Nightdive for years. We aren't going anywhere or changing anything, aside from using the extra financial backing to actually improve on deals and licensing.

Ok, that's reassuring -- last time I looked at Atari they had pivoted from a new console that sank without a trace to going heavily into cryptocurrency, which doesn't really make me optimistic about their ability to make good decisions.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Hrot's final boss is certainly. . . something. What a cool and weird end to a cool and weird game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m liking Hrot Episode 3 a lot more than the other ones. The level design is way more interesting and the dev put in some work to make the enemy encounters less bland.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyone playing HROT on Deck, disabling the framerate cap entirely in the battery options seems to have fixed most frame drops, getting nearly locked 60 whereas before it was in the 40s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Wow John Carmack is going to be at the next some fancy sounding convention, I wonder if it's like Quakecon?

Oh no it's nothing like Quakecon, it's a racism convention for racists and extremely divorced men who want to control women's bodies. Of course.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkBlu/status/1658828154402660352
On their site they even define themselves as sad puppies, gamergaters, and gina carano fans, which is like the triple crown of failure

https://twitter.com/ForestLassman/status/1658880085867282432

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 17, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.basedcon.com/?page_id=85

wtf

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
EDIT: Duplicate info

Here have some info about HROT instead: You CAN pet the dogs and they WILL kill rats for you

https://twitter.com/zlimbratski/status/1658886494826659843

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 17, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
thats a fail

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

HROT first episode done: Weird game. Not weird, weird, actually, it's a fairly straightforward old school shooter. I mean, in the sense it could be a FPS released at the end of the 90s in Eastern Europe. Very Quake like, and you know, not only in the browns. Some of the sounds, some of the enemies, the movement, etc. Not even an attempt for story, either. On the other hand, it actually plays well enough to not be and old forgotten eurojank FPS! Some of them were rough.
While being similar to Quake, the setting not being overly scifi or fantasy, together the use of creepy elements (darkness, music, sounds, some of the enemies) gives it a very different vibe.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Jesus loving christ Carmack wtf.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sure is fun finding out that most of your favorite game devs of yesteryear are, in fact, a bunch of fragile chuds.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Carmack has been flying the warning flags about adjacency to that whole crowd for quite a while, but I was kind of hoping he was odd enough to just carve his own path that didn't quite intersect.

I would never have guessed that Romero would be more-or-less the last one standing out of that collection, when it comes to not revealing or adopting some disappointing nastiness. (Cue Romero milkshake-ducking now I guess.)

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Romero groomed an underage girl

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Jesus loving christ Carmack wtf.

Yep. He always has been a tech libertarian with some dumb ideas, but I can understand it given how biased has been his life (asocial tech genius self made millionaire, etc). I have been following for years, from twitter to all his keynotes at id and later Meta, and never had shown these.. inclinations. The context, for other people:
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1658683239513436167

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 17, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RIP John Carmack, sadly died of ligma

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

JLaw posted:

I would never have guessed that Romero would be more-or-less the last one standing out of that collection, when it comes to not revealing or adopting some disappointing nastiness.
What's wrong with Tom?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's wrong with Tom?

True, not anything that I know of. :-) I guess I am thinking more of the Doom-and-Quake-era team, which Tom was mostly not there for.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

szary posted:

Romero groomed an underage girl

Oh christ, do you have a source for that?

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Assepoester posted:

Wow John Carmack is going to be at the next some fancy sounding convention, I wonder if it's like Quakecon?

Oh no it's nothing like Quakecon, it's a racism convention for racists and extremely divorced men who want to control women's bodies. Of course.

https://twitter.com/TheDarkBlu/status/1658828154402660352
On their site they even define themselves as sad puppies, gamergaters, and gina carano fans, which is like the triple crown of failure

Jesus I'm actually gutted.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Deakul posted:

i found an article about it written by some guy named richard kyanka. don’t know a lot about him but he seems much more normal about women

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve never heard anything about grooming but Romero did marry an 18(?) year old Romanian girl when he was in his late 30s. Pretty creepy even if everything might have been legal.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Deakul posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051001055723/http://rome.ro/rhaluka/our_story.htm

It was his second wife, I guess "technically" she was 18 or close to 18, I forgot they got married after like 4 months of being in a relationship.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

david_a posted:

I’ve never heard anything about grooming but Romero did marry an 18(?) year old Romanian girl when he was in his late 30s. Pretty creepy even if everything might have been legal.
The forums were not kind to Romero back then. Also his hair.

Weedle posted:

i found an article about it written by some guy named richard kyanka. don’t know a lot about him but he seems much more normal about women
The forums are much kinder to Romero these days.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

IIRC Carmack's wife is really into Ayn Rand which explains the rest of the shittiness

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

manero posted:

IIRC Carmack's wife is really into Ayn Rand which explains the rest of the shittiness

I believe they actually bonded over a mutual appreciation of Ayn Rand

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

david_a posted:

I believe they actually bonded over a mutual appreciation of Ayn Rand

LOL.

In any case, he is divorced now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

LOL.

In any case, he is divorced now.

Oh that is definitely gonna help.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
carmack's reverse ferret

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

He’s always come across as being on the deeply weird and uncomfortable side of the nerd/tech stuff, but this probably puts an exclamation mark on anyone needing to give a poo poo about him from this point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

carmack's reverse ferret

Carmack’s fast inverse milkshake duck