Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Are FAT32 and exFAT the only filesystems that iPad can read/write from that can also be read/write on a Windows system?

Some google searching suggests this is the case but I figured a doublecheck would be easy in here, mostly because the search engines think I'm actually interested in osx and windows which is close but not quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

xzzy posted:

Are FAT32 and exFAT the only filesystems that iPad can read/write from that can also be read/write on a Windows system?

Some google searching suggests this is the case but I figured a doublecheck would be easy in here, mostly because the search engines think I'm actually interested in osx and windows which is close but not quite.

As far as I know yes. Depending on what you're trying to do you might be ahead to setup an SMB file share on your windows box and move stuff around that way.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

As far as I know yes. Depending on what you're trying to do you might be ahead to setup an SMB file share on your windows box and move stuff around that way.

No networking in this case, I'm trying to come up with a somewhat convenient way to copy the contents of a cfexpress card to an ssd while on a road trip and have the ssd readable by windows when I get home. I figured using Files.app would be serviceable because I'll already have the ipad with me, and if it works it's less gadgets to pack.

But I'm discovering ipad os' copying features are pretty primitive. When dragging a folder to an existing folder, there's two options: duplicate or replace. There's no way to have it skip already copied files. And the replace option generates errors.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

xzzy posted:

But I'm discovering ipad os' copying features are pretty primitive. When dragging a folder to an existing folder, there's two options: duplicate or replace. There's no way to have it skip already copied files. And the replace option generates errors.

Yeah, you want macos for that :-/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

xzzy posted:

iPads only support filesystems supported by SD cards(FAT for SD/SDHC and exFAT for SDXC) for their sd readers addons. Stuff like NTFS or EXT is no good.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
e: N/m

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 8, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, I got a $270 iPad gen 9 yesterday to replace my Air 2 that has been absolute dogshit for the past 4 years or so of iOS updates. It took an eternity to open literally anything on it. It’s nice actually being able to type on a keyboard without crazy lag.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Looks like Logic Pro and Final Cut are finally coming to the iPad, for all the people who have been complaining that the iPad got the “Pro” moniker without any ”Pro” apps to go with it.

M1 and up only for Final Cut, but Logic seems to need only an A12 or better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SaturdayKnight posted:

Looks like Logic Pro and Final Cut are finally coming to the iPad, for all the people who have been complaining that the iPad got the “Pro” moniker without any ”Pro” apps to go with it.

M1 and up only for Final Cut, but Logic seems to need only an A12 or better.

Just adding that these are not one-time only buys like on Mac OS, but subscriptions. It's annoying to see Apple go the Adobe route but eh, people will pay for it so it'll work. Hopefully it doesn't happen to the Mac OS versions...probably a good idea for students to take advantage of the $200 Pro bundle.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wonder if final cut will run better on the M1 than Davinci does. Subscription is rear end though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I could see them rolling that into the top tier (or a new tier) of Apple One. They absolutely want everyone subscribing to that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Well, I got a $270 iPad gen 9 yesterday to replace my Air 2 that has been absolute dogshit for the past 4 years or so of iOS updates. It took an eternity to open literally anything on it. It’s nice actually being able to type on a keyboard without crazy lag.

I am extremely impressed you used it for this long.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I could see them rolling that into the top tier (or a new tier) of Apple One. They absolutely want everyone subscribing to that.

I think I could see Apple go the same route they do with MLS: MLS you get a discount if you have Apple TV, Final Cut whatever you get a discount if you have apple one.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Considering how Apple Arcade has ultimately failed to make much of an impact (and the app store’s relationship with games in 2023 in general a huge disappointing mess compared with productivity/lifestyle apps), it’d make sense for them to expand Apple Arcade into an umbrella covering subscription-based apps too

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

I am extremely impressed you used it for this long.

I haven’t used it for much in years beyond casting NFL games to my TV. And even that was choppy as hell. I feel like it should have been cut off from iOS updates 4-5 years before it actually was.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What are some decent micro-sd card reader/adapters for iPad pro? Preferably usb 3.0 or better.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mister Facetious posted:

What are some decent micro-sd card reader/adapters for iPad pro? Preferably usb 3.0 or better.

I suggest getting a mechanical microsd to sd card adapter and then whatever fullsize se reader the photographer boards/reddit are currently suggesting. Every usb-c microsd reader i've used has been flaky.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Oh my God, the Stage Manager feature is what I've wanted for years. Three windows AND picture-in-picture video, it's like using four iPhones at once. :aaa:

:justpost:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I say this without like, sarcasm or ill intent or anything but I want to know what your impression of stage manager is gonna be after a month of usage. I feel like Apple kinda knows what they’re going for with it, but then there’s these seemingly arbitrary self limiting choices that they made that kinda spoil it all for me. It becomes a bit of a fiasco when you use an external monitor because the limit on window sizing options seems like some sort of compromise that pleases nobody, especially the end user who is trying to snap windows into certain areas.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't use it for work, this is a shitposting and media consumption device that I can carry around everywhere.

I'd prefer it if each window was edge-to-edge, but they're already larger than the screen on my iPhone 11.

In fact, each window is as large as my phone is, bezels and all (iPad pro 11").

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 15, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I use my iPad Pro 12.9 every day and I’ve never even used it. I also don’t even know how to activate it lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, the two window mode works well enough for anytime when I need two apps up at the same time I've also never used it and don't know how to activate it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I use my iPad Pro 12.9 every day and I’ve never even used it. I also don’t even know how to activate it lol.

Swipe down from the top right corner of your pro/m1 Air, and select the icon with three small squares to the left of a bigger square.

I wouldn't bother using it unless you have a pressing need to be tracking updates from multiple windows at once but somehow DON'T need them to be in real time.
Which is to say, reading and making forums/discord/etc posts.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

I say this without like, sarcasm or ill intent or anything but I want to know what your impression of stage manager is gonna be after a month of usage. I feel like Apple kinda knows what they’re going for with it, but then there’s these seemingly arbitrary self limiting choices that they made that kinda spoil it all for me. It becomes a bit of a fiasco when you use an external monitor because the limit on window sizing options seems like some sort of compromise that pleases nobody, especially the end user who is trying to snap windows into certain areas.

I use it for work, most days, via an external monitor, and have done for a couple of months now. I like having the iPad second screen below it, where I can have my emails or music app up and can navigate via touch, and then a word processor and browser window or two on the external monitor. It’s way better than it was when it first launched, although it’s definitely not as malleable as a normal desktop-class OS.

You get the sense that they’ve taken it as a chance to completely rethink how an OS might work, for better or for worse. I get the sense that a lot of apps need to catch up to it - what I would normally go to most apps for, I just do via safari instead (like Netflix, YouTube, stuff like that), because you can’t do obvious things like go full-screen on a lot of apps. Even Apple Fitness doesn’t run its videos full-screen on your external monitor. It does take a while to get used to the flow and logic of how to navigate - there is a logic to it, but if you’ve grown up around a desktop environment it’ll feel counter intuitive at first. It feels at times like the OS equivalent of one of those alternative keyboard layouts, where devotees tell you how great it is, but there’s the huge buy-in of you having to re-wire your brain to get used to it. Or, I dunno, like a recumbent bicycle.

But I still really like it, because even though it’s fairly limited, if your use case falls within those guardrails it is nice to use and look at. You can zip around the interface pretty snappily using a trackpad/magic keyboard type setup. You’ll have a bad time with a mouse. It’s nice to be able to just take it to work, plug it into a monitor, and have all my apps and stuff there. It runs well and there’s no slowdown. Personally, I have a much easier time focusing on things with iPadOS.

I use it for most of my work now, and really just use my windows pc for games.

The caveat is that I mostly just write (and a bit of light research) for a living, and I can get away with using my own choice of office software and generally don’t have to worry about compatibility with co-workers’ machines beyond using Zoom + Outlook.

If I had a macbook I would almost definitely use that instead. But I don’t, and honestly this is just a nice environment to get work done and do some light computing type stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh man, scrolling text on this iPad 9 makes my eyes go crossed after being on a iPhone 13 Pro for 18 months. drat it's jittery.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 16, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Oh man, scrolling text on this iPad 9 makes my eyes go crossed after being on a iPhone 13 Pro for 18 months. drat it's jittery.

It doesn't bother me on my 60hz LCD Windows laptop, but for some reason it does look really bad on the iPad when switching from the 13 Pro.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ive had a 120hz ipad pro since 2017 and have never really been bothered by the switch between 60 and 120 hz. bless these broken eyes

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mister Facetious posted:

Oh my God, the Stage Manager feature is what I've wanted for years. Three windows AND picture-in-picture video, it's like using four iPhones at once. :aaa:

But when are were going to be able to run 4 copies of PoGo simultaneously!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m still using the 2017 pro. No need to upgrade.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

My ipad 9 is perfectly fine since I also keep my iPhone at poverty spec levels(just gone from XR to 14, cannot perceive the higher luminosity or increased resolution lol).

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

What are some good iPad-centric wallpaper resources? I need some new color in my life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

What are some good iPad-centric wallpaper resources? I need some new color in my life.

https://interfacelift.com

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a website or something I can use to learn about all the useful poo poo that has been added since iOS 12? I got this iPad Pro to replace an OG air and I'm kinda overwhelmed at what it can do and missed out in all the multitasking stuff that exists now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Laserface posted:

Is there a website or something I can use to learn about all the useful poo poo that has been added since iOS 12? I got this iPad Pro to replace an OG air and I'm kinda overwhelmed at what it can do and missed out in all the multitasking stuff that exists now.

Use the Tips app, it should be loaded on your iPad already.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I cloned my iPhone to the iPad from a backup so I'll probably need to reinstall but I'll give it a go. Thanks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Laserface posted:

I cloned my iPhone to the iPad from a backup so I'll probably need to reinstall but I'll give it a go. Thanks

In that case you can download it from the App Store I'm pretty sure.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thanks!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Im kind of surprised how decent the onscreen keyboard experience is for the iPad 11 inch in landscape orientation. I probably wouldn’t use it to make an entirely new thread OPs worth of content, but it’s actually really good for smaller posts such as this one.

Portrait mode keyboard is yikes, though.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I always use the split keyboard, especially in portrait. Having half a keyboard at hand usually works well enough.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
wait, that’s what people meant by split keyboard? I thought that was a hardware thing??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I got back to my iPad excited to try it, but my Pro 2022 isn’t supported. Huh.