Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I 100% believe that she was told some version of ‘if you don’t embarrass us too much at the Trump town hall you get this job’.

She’s a reactionary who used to tweet homophobic slurs and worked for the Daily Caller. She’s perfect for CNN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Beyond that, some sort of unclear throttling is occurring, even with images attached to an account.

I'm kinda ambivalent to forever data or the supposed lost of some dank image macros/fads, but its kinda dumb the internet in general cant remember/learn the lesson that image hosting sites are/will always self vaporize themselves because they need to be a profit making biz somehow

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It sounds like the lack of faith in Biden’s negotiating tactics is coming from inside the beltway, and inside the party; hard to describe this as probable GOP talking points:

quote:

A group of Senate Democrats is circulating a letter urging President Biden to prepare to invoke the 14th Amendment to unilaterally resolve the debt ceiling standoff without involving Congress, according to a copy obtained by The Washington Post ahead of its release.

The letter, signed by five senators so far, reflects building unease among White House allies over the direction of negotiations between the president and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on an agreement expected to cut the deficit and raise the debt limit. Liberal lawmakers have balked as Biden entertains spending cuts and new work requirements on federal aid programs — fueling interest in a solution to the standoff that does not require a deal with McCarthy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/17/debt-ceiling-democrats-discharge-petition/

Smith, Warren, Markey, Sanders, and Merkley all signed so far, with more to come. Feels like an end-run around potentially disastrous concessions. If I were a White House negotiator right now I’d be supremely pissed.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CNNPR/status/1658842457474310150

Nice to see that women can fail upward these days

How did she "fail" at what I'm assuming was the town hall with Trump? She did everything possible to challenge his version of events & hold him accountable.

What would you suggest she might have done differently?

eta the transcript for the town hall.

etaa Please let me know if you were talking about something other than the town hall. :)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 17, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

selec posted:

It sounds like the lack of faith in Biden’s negotiating tactics is coming from inside the beltway, and inside the party; hard to describe this as probable GOP talking points:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/17/debt-ceiling-democrats-discharge-petition/

Smith, Warren, Markey, Sanders, and Merkley all signed so far, with more to come. Feels like an end-run around potentially disastrous concessions. If I were a White House negotiator right now I’d be supremely pissed.
I mean you want to make sure he doesn’t cave and these Senators would have to explain why their benefits got cut so I get it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

zoux posted:

Well, a reasonable person would assume that "nothing of consequence" means nothing of consequence. It's a well understood turn of phrase, he's not speaking in code.

Weasel words are sometimes used to obfuscate the truth of a statement, or avoid giving any specifics that could later be shown false. Kind of like "White House sources say..." which others ITT (correctly) pointed out is a weaselly way of saying "I pulled this out of my rear end". Likewise, if Biden wanted to say that there would be no work requirements, he could just say that without appending "at least nothing of consequence". But making an objective, verifiable statement like that could come back to bite him if he did eventually cave, so he has to append a nebulous, subjective qualifier to it. It's not code, but it is weaselly.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 17, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Willa Rogers posted:

How did she "fail" at what I'm assuming was the town hall with Trump? She did everything possible to challenge his version of events & hold him accountable.

etaa Please let me know if you were talking about something other than the town hall. :)

did you miss the part where he utterly destroyed her?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pencilhands posted:

did you miss the part where he utterly destroyed her?

He bulldozed her, correct. But, given the transcript, what do you think she could have done differently? Or what do you think a non-"fail" moderator could have done differently?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fox is reportedly making major changes to its primetime lineup, moving Hannity into Tucker's old slot. There is no mention of Laura Ingraham anywhere so there's a lot of unverified speculation that she's gone. Seems like this is mostly sourced from Drudge so factor that in.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Willa Rogers posted:

He bulldozed her, correct. But, given the transcript, what do you think she could have done differently? Or what do you think a non-"fail" moderator could have done differently?

not been stumped by the trump

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Willa Rogers posted:

If the goal was to provide a facsimile of challenge which Trump could berate and ride roughshod over to prove what a big strong boy he was, she did great.

If the goal was anything else, the entire event was a mistake from its inception and there was no way for her to "succeed" regardless of what she did.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I think the event was a failure from inception but I can't blame her for it because she was essentially the lone voice of reason in the room, including her own management. Maybe it was staged but honestly I won't watch her show either way because cable is dying.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Morrow posted:

I think the event was a failure from inception but I can't blame her for it because she was essentially the lone voice of reason in the room, including her own management. Maybe it was staged but honestly I won't watch her show either way because cable is dying.

I mean all CNN was chasing ratings and clicks and probably got what they needed out of it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If the goal was to provide a facsimile of challenge which Trump could berate and ride roughshod over to prove what a big strong boy he was, she did great.

If the goal was anything else, the entire event was a mistake from its inception and there was no way for her to "succeed" regardless of what she did.

My question was: What could she have done differently?

Zoux called her promotion as "failing upward" but I questioned how she, personally, failed her mission. (And again: Please correct me, Zoux, if you meant something else when you referred to her "fail.")

I understand that he bullied her, as I said, but I watched it as it aired, and I also scanned the transcript after Zoux posted, and couldn't really find anything that was her fault.

The "entire event being a mistake" can't be laid on her lap, and I simply don't understand what the "fail" was on her part.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

She definitely failed. It's not like she could have succeeded - what is she gonna do, cut his mic? Trump would never have attended if so. But that's irrelevant; noone forced her to take the job, and she had to have known how it would go down.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Willa Rogers posted:

My question was: What could she have done differently?

Zoux called her promotion as "failing upward" but I questioned how she, personally, failed her mission. (And again: Please correct me, Zoux, if you meant something else when you referred to her "fail.")

I understand that he bullied her, as I said, but I watched it as it aired, and I also scanned the transcript after Zoux posted, and couldn't really find anything that was her fault.

The "entire event being a mistake" can't be laid on her lap, and I simply don't understand what the "fail" was on her part.

I agree that she did not "Fail upward." She took a fall, but you don't criticize a wrestling heel for losing to the face. She did her job as assigned and didn't break kayfabe.

If you view her as a journalist then she arguably had a responsibility to not participate in such an event, given that it was doomed to be exactly what it was. But one could say the same about CNN as a network. What they both could have done differently was refuse to participate in any television production that gave Trump airtime, period. If she'd done that though she wouldn't have gotten this promotion. Morality and capitalism don't mix.

I don't know. My perspective is that there's no moral conversation to be had with Trump at this point that doesn't take place after Miranda warnings.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean all CNN was chasing ratings and clicks and probably got what they needed out of it.

They got very low ratings for what it was, it has been widely criticized, and now you have CNN primetime in 4th place behind Newsmax.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I agree that she did not "Fail upward." She took a fall, but you don't criticize a wrestling heel for losing to the face. She did her job as assigned and didn't break kayfabe.

If you view her as a journalist then she arguably had a responsibility to not participate in such an event, given that it was doomed to be exactly what it was. But one could say the same about CNN as a network. What they both could have done differently was refuse to participate in any television production that gave Trump airtime, period. If she'd done that though she wouldn't have gotten this promotion. Morality and capitalism don't mix.

Working for the Daily Caller indicates that she does not have journalistic ethics that are compatible with a free press in a democratic society.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

They got very low ratings for what it was, it has been widely criticized, and now you have CNN primetime in 4th place behind Newsmax.

Working for the Daily Caller indicates that she does not have journalistic ethics that are compatible with a free press in a democratic society.

I'm not sure America still has a journalism industry compatible with a free press and a democratic society. All the local papers have gotten bought up by vulture capitalists and all the national media are going the same route; look what Elon's doing to twitter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that characterization is overbroad but I take your point.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

I think that characterization is overbroad but I take your point.

yeah, I mean, I don't want to be doomposting here but we shouldn't be expecting the magical free market in journalism to save us by Finding the Truth and then somehow We Got Him and Trump is over and everyone goes and votes for Bernie. It doesn't work like that.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 17, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ultra-conservative Colorado Springs just elected an independent liberal and West African immigrant for mayor

quote:

Political newcomer Yemi Mobolade captured the Colorado Springs mayor's seat on Tuesday, May 16, by a stunning margin of 14 percent (57.47 to 42.53), handing long-time politician Wayne Williams the second defeat of his more than two decade career.

In a nonpartisan race in which Williams, a Republican, tried to paint Mobolade, who's an independent, as a "far left Democrat liberal" in a city that's considered a GOP stronghold, voters clearly sent a message that they're ready for new ideas.

After Williams conceded in a phone call to Mobolade at 7:30 p.m., Mobolade took the stage before roughly 500 to 600 supporters who chanted, "Yemi, Yemi, Yemi."
Yemi mayor

"I'm speechless," he said. "This is incredible. Wow. Wow."

"This is our win," he said. "We are Colorado Springs. It's a new day in our beloved city.... We stand on the mountain of a new era. Colorado Springs will become inclusive, culturally rich..." The cheers from the crowd were so deafening at that point, they drowned the rest of his sentence.

"You have spoken, and you have just chosen your next mayor," he said. "Our city is ready for leadership that serves all of our city. I'm ready to serve as your 42nd mayor of this beautiful, passionate, resilient city."

He pointed out that his candidacy, supported by thousands of people, disrupted and transformed politics and set aside doubts that Democrats, Republicans and unaffiliated voters can all work together and find common ground.

He said his campaign drew in people ready to be united around a common purpose. "I see you all," he said. "I am, because we are Colorado Springs."

After Mobolade takes office on June 6, he vowed to start working immediately to fully staff the police department and end the city's homelessness, prioritize infrastructure needs, add more affordable and attainable housing, and cut red tape for new businesses.

"Let's get to work," he said. "I promise to be a mayor of all people."

Supporters on hand included former Sheriff Bill Elder; former County Commissioner Sallie Clark, who ran third in the April 4 mayor vote; former Colorado Springs Mayor Mary Lou Makepeace; former City Councilor Tom Strand; current Councilor Nancy Henjum; and hundreds more.

Several observers commented that Mobolade's victory in a Republican stronghold by someone with no political experience and who gained citizenship five years ago would become a national news story.

Mobolade ran a mostly positive campaign, promising to put regular citizens and families first, ahead of business people and developers whom he labeled as "special interests" and that largely funded Williams' $1 million campaign through a dark money group called Colorado Springs Forward.

Mobolade drew large sums from local business interests as well, but none of his money came from dark money groups. Moreover, the West Nigerian native attracted some 1,400 contributions compared to Williams' roughly 300 to 400.

Williams, a lawyer, began his career in elected office by winning an El Paso County commission seat in 2002. He was reelected for a second term and then was voted in as county clerk and recorder in 2010. In 2014, he captured the Colorado Secretary of State seat but lost his reelection bid in 2018 to Democrat Jena Griswold. He then turned to Colorado Springs City Council in 2019 and was elected to a 4-year at-large term, which he completed a month ago amid his mayoral campaign.

Mobolade immigrated at age 17 to attend college and earned bachelor's degrees in computer information systems and business administration, and master's degrees in management and leadership and intellectual leadership. He attended seminary and came to Colorado Springs as part of an outreach Christian mission.

He moved here in 2010 and opened the Wild Goose Meeting House Downtown and the Good Neighbors Meeting House in the Patty Jewett neighborhood. He worked for the Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC as vice president of business retention and expansion from 2017 to 2019, and for the city in small business development from 2019 to 2022. He also served as a pastor at First Presbyterian Church and helped found COSILoveYou nonprofit.

Mobolade drew support from confirmed conservatives, such as Clark and Elder.

Mobolade was out-spent by Williams, who raised $1,066,612, as of the latest filing on May 12 for the period from April 26 to May 8. (The last filing is due June 15.) He had spent $988,347 as of the latest report. Colorado Springs Forward political action committee, a dark money group that doesn't have to report the source of its money, gave Williams' campaign $470,000.

Mobolade brought in $782,522 and spent $644,480, his May 12 report shows.

Mobolade's campaign has relied on smaller donations from hundreds of people. He's received donations from roughly 1,430 donors, compared to Williams' roughly 300.

The next and last filing in the mayoral runoff is due June 15.

Pretty good news considering the first round of the election had some absolute psychos running, including literal nazi militia nuts. He's still a liberal though, his promise to fully fund the police department is obviously bad and he has apparently engaged in union busting at one of his previous businesses. But still the best outcome for this election, and a genuine surprise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How do you even get a victory over Donald Trump without the story ending, "And then he dropped dead."?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Star Man posted:

How do you even get a victory over Donald Trump without the story ending, "And then he dropped dead."?

It's hard to tell because we're in the middle of it and everyone is scared that uttering it will make it untrue or that the people that confuse cynicism for wisdom will dogpile them over it but when Lindsay Graham said that nominating Trump in '16 would destroy the Republican party, he was correct. For one example: see the post above yours.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Star Man posted:

It's crucial to remember he still lost his re-election after a few decades of Presidents consistently running 2 terms. There's a lot to be concerned about, he MUST lose again, but no one is invincible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People seem to think that Donald Trump winning a black swan election by 10,000 votes across a few key states against a terrible candidate the right had spent 20 years making into the Antichrist makes him an unstoppable juggernaut. Because everyone was "there's no way he can win" in '16 and then he won an election he loses 99 times out of 100, that everything we know is wrong, but the man lost the popular vote by 5+ million twice and got utterly rinsed by Joe Biden in his reelection campaign. Since Dobbs (really since Trump came into office) Republicans have lost or underperformed expectations from the Jacksonville mayoral race to the Michigan governor's race. Dobbs is going to be an absolute millstone around Republicans' neck as long as there are no federally guaranteed reproductive rights, and the big boy political genius is, instead of shrewdly ducking the question, taking every chance to scream at the top of his lungs "I DID THE UNPOPULAR THING! I OWN IT". He was an unknown quantity in '16, people thought he was a moderate, they voted for him because it was funny and hell, there's no way he's going to win right? Now he is a known as gently caress quantity and we just saw a midterm in which not only did every Trumplord candidate lose, but they ran behind other "regular" republicans. The GOP party is in the thrall of Trump because he has an iron grip on a large bloc of Republican primary voters. Besides them, he's the most hated man in America.

e: oh and he's going to be under multiple indictments by the time '24 rolls around

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 17, 2023

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

selec posted:

Is this a lack of faith in Biden's negotiating tactics, or is it part of his negotiating tactics? There doesn't seem to be any word about the motives from those five senators yet, but the article managed to get two unidentified sources to describe the corresponding House effort (a discharge petition aimed at getting a bill onto the House floor without McCarthy's cooperation) as a move by "Democratic leaders" to "keep the pressure on moderate Republicans".

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

She definitely failed. It's not like she could have succeeded - what is she gonna do, cut his mic?

This is important.

Obviously she's a bigoted piece of poo poo and not a good person, but nobody wins an interview with Trump.

He has no shame and never admits he's wrong. You can barely get him to stutter, he's absolutely ready with bullshit no matter what you say and doesn't hesitate. If you have him cornered he will literally call you names like a child would. He spews an unending word salad of idiocy.

Many much better interviewers have tried, and come prepared with receipts. The literal best performance anyone ever gave having him walk off 60 minutes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

zoux posted:

His instinct is "kill anyone who says bad things about me" and since that's DeSantis, he's going after poo poo in DeSantis' lane. He's not a calculating operator, he has a sort of low cunning, but mostly he just yells about what he's mad about.

He's also real big on receiving credit for every and any god damned thing under the sun. IN all of human history, in record time and like no one has ever seen where many people are saying. Anything that happens to anyone ever is due to Trump. Unless it's a fuckup and then it was a coffee boy who at one point was one of the best and brightest greatest individuals. Right now, people are cheering for Dobbs at his town hall and poo poo so...

Also, Trump can definitely win again. I have no doubt. Not saying he will, of course, but he can.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Good. Keep drilling.

Biden inked the circles and underlines, not me

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Orthanc6 posted:

It's crucial to remember he still lost his re-election after a few decades of Presidents consistently running 2 terms. There's a lot to be concerned about, he MUST lose again, but no one is invincible.

The standard argument against that is "Trump still only lost because of covid" but he lost by pretty much what 2019 head-to-heads against Biden said he would. The argument also also leaves out that in most of the world 2020 was very good for right-wing authoritarians seeking reelection, even ones that botched covid response.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

nm, don't want to get probated again for asking a question.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 17, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

zoux posted:

People seem to think that Donald Trump winning a black swan election by 10,000 votes across a few key states against a terrible candidate the right had spent 20 years making into the Antichrist makes him an unstoppable juggernaut.

He won 2016 by about 80000 votes across 3 states. He lost 2020 by about 50000 across 3 states. And 2020 had a lot more voters. If anything, 2020 looks like more of a black swan event considering the parties have been switching after a 2 term president each for several cycles.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

koolkal posted:

He won 2016 by about 80000 votes across 3 states. He lost 2020 by about 50000 across 3 states. And 2020 had a lot more voters. If anything, 2020 looks like more of a black swan event considering the parties have been switching after a 2 term president each for several cycles.

Biden won more states than Clinton and even if you take it as PA, Georgia, and AZ it's over 100,000 votes. And Biden had more voters than Trump.

edit: Also, Biden won 51% of the vote. Trump lost the popular vote both times.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Mooseontheloose posted:

Biden won more states than Clinton and even if you take it as PA, Georgia, and AZ it's over 100,000 votes. And Biden had more voters than Trump.

edit: Also, Biden won 51% of the vote. Trump lost the popular vote both times.

Yes, I would assume the winner of an election would win more states than the loser of one?

WI was +20000 Biden, AZ was +11000 Biden, GA was +22000 Biden. If all 3 of those had swung to Trump, Trump would have won the election. 2020 was a closer election and more of an outlier by pretty much every metric besides lovely pre-election polling.

Calling Trump's 2016 win an outlier and "black swan" is bizarre and doesn't match up with any reality beyond "vibes."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

For a lot of people, what makes Trump so scandalous is that he doesn't use the dogwhistle, and that's why anti-Trumpers keep coping and convincing themselves that he's some unique threat when in all reality, he hasn't done anything that any other Republican president wouldn't do if they were president. They'd just be quiet about it and not interrupt brunch by being a boor about it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

koolkal posted:

Yes, I would assume the winner of an election would win more states than the loser of one?

You'd think this, but it is entirely possible in our system that one party wins only 11 states and takes the election:

California
Texas
Florida
New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Georgia,
North Carolina
Michigan
New Jersey (or, really, any state with 4+ EVs)

This will give you over 270 EVs.

Note that this is possible, not at all likely. It just shows how hosed up and stupid the electoral college is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

You'd think this, but it is entirely possible in our system that one party wins only 11 states and takes the election:

California
Texas
Florida
New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Georgia,
North Carolina
Michigan

Note that this is possible, not at all likely. It just shows how hosed up and stupid the electoral college is.

Hello, I'm the politician who won California, Illinois, Texas, and Florida, ushered in the one-party federal government, and won a culture victory on turn 200. AMA

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Name Change posted:

Hello, I'm the politician who won California, Illinois, Texas, and Florida, ushered in the one-party federal government, and won a culture victory on turn 200. AMA

What’s your opening move?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zamujasa posted:

California
Texas
Florida
New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Georgia,
North Carolina
Michigan

these 11 states do amount to more than half the population of the united states

imo the number of states won should be irrelevant anyways. win more than half of people, win election

gently caress I think I'd rather have the president, senators and reps all be chosen by the lottery system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Name Change posted:

I even specifically pointed out that possible does not mean likely, but ok.