Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lately I've been rolling fleets of Corvettes, Frigates, and Cruisers, specifically. Corvettes with 2x autocannons & 1 missile, Frigates with a Missile & Torpedo, Cruisers all in on Missiles & Torpedos. Corvettes to soak return fire while the other ships mop up. It's gimmicky but pulling an Itano Circus is just so drat satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Boy, I sure do love having a Criminal Syndicate as neighbors. Nothing quite like having to send my fleets in every 15 years or so because they refuse to learn their goddamn lesson and think that this time I'll let them get away with opening crime buildings on my planets and tanking my economy. Especially since I'm now approaching the mid-game, so I've got less influence income to claim their planets with, because this is clearly never going to stop until they're wiped out.

Also, planetary capital buildings auto-spawning defense armies has sorta rendered the ability for planets to surrender to bombardment pointless, hasn't it? It's still quicker and easier to land troops, I don't have the years per planet required to bomb every last defender to death. I'm at war, my fleets need to be in motion.

Insurrectionist posted:

lol, I wasn't planning to look at the designer until I unlocked some new ships but I guess I will now
Never never never let the AI build your ships. It has no loving idea what it's doing and never has.

Turning off "auto-best" and doing the most brain-dead simple builds of splitting everything half and half between kinetics/lasers and shields/armor will send your fleet power scores skyrocketing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Much like piracy, there are mods to disable criminal syndicates. Personally I give them a good old-fashioned genociding because they were asking for it.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Boy, I sure do love having a Criminal Syndicate as neighbors. Nothing quite like having to send my fleets in every 15 years or so because they refuse to learn their goddamn lesson and think that this time I'll let them get away with opening crime buildings on my planets and tanking my economy. Especially since I'm now approaching the mid-game, so I've got less influence income to claim their planets with, because this is clearly never going to stop until they're wiped out.
Hey, at least it's better than behind some other empire(s) who refuse to open their borders to you so you can't reach them to deal with them as they deserve.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Never never never let the AI build your ships. It has no loving idea what it's doing and never has.

Turning off "auto-best" and doing the most brain-dead simple builds of splitting everything half and half between kinetics/lasers and shields/armor will send your fleet power scores skyrocketing.

This is basically what I do. If there is an odd number of slots I add extra an armor/hull modules and extra lasers/plasma for the weapons.

At game start though I do 1 flak battery / 2 red lasers, since the flak battery does almost as much damage as the tier 3 railgun, and gives a tiny bit of point defense as well. I usually pick up mining lasers early on as well, so do flak/mining lasers for early tier 3 damage with minimal research.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Horace Kinch posted:

Much like piracy, there are mods to disable criminal syndicates. Personally I give them a good old-fashioned genociding because they were asking for it.

Yeah I just mod them out. They are a pain in the rear end and you can't do anything to fix them short of claiming/conquering them in some way or exterminating them.

They aren't terribly fun to play as either. If you're going for a megacorp play, you probably want to be buds with as many nations as possible to maximize your branch offices and with the perpetual influence shortage you'll be under until you get yourself to be galactic custodian. It's punishing to lose offices cause someone built a police station.

The only time you'd ever want a criminal megacorp around is if you are playing oppressive autocracy.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 15, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The only time you'd ever want a criminal megacorp around is if you are playing oppressive autocracy.
Even then, gently caress 'em.

I'm not exaggerating, they literally crashed my entire economy after first contact. They put up a crimes station on my homeworld in the very early game, not only did everyone gently caress off to do crimes but it left me without a single farmer in the entire game, all my incomes went to negative and I hit food bankruptcy.

So, no. They die for that. It's just gonna take me forever, since most of my influence is going to research/commerce/migration pacts with the nice empires.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

CapnAndy posted:

Even then, gently caress 'em.

I'm not exaggerating, they literally crashed my entire economy after first contact. They put up a crimes station on my homeworld in the very early game, not only did everyone gently caress off to do crimes but it left me without a single farmer in the entire game, all my incomes went to negative and I hit food bankruptcy.

So, no. They die for that. It's just gonna take me forever, since most of my influence is going to research/commerce/migration pacts with the nice empires.

If you're willing to put up with putting off your other conquests for a bit, one option is to switch your war mode to liberation wars. You can disband criminal syndicates in a single war with that since they have to adopt your government type. Not perfect but maybe less aggrivation than five or six wars to grind a syndicate down.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So

Agrarian Idyll + Anglers is delicious with the new leader stuff, don't even need to ever build any districts outside of farming... and maybe 1 forge world for alloys that you are not simply buying with your infinite food money

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Reveilled posted:

If you're willing to put up with putting off your other conquests for a bit, one option is to switch your war mode to liberation wars. You can disband criminal syndicates in a single war with that since they have to adopt your government type. Not perfect but maybe less aggrivation than five or six wars to grind a syndicate down.
This is true, but the other hand is that I want their planets.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AtomikKrab posted:

So

Agrarian Idyll + Anglers is delicious with the new leader stuff, don't even need to ever build any districts outside of farming... and maybe 1 forge world for alloys that you are not simply buying with your infinite food money
Eventually food gets too cheap and alloys too expensive to sustain that.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Yeah you'll want catalytic processing to make food into alloys.

It's actually playable without feeling terrible with the new councilor that makes it not as poo poo.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah you'll want catalytic processing to make food into alloys.

It's actually playable without feeling terrible with the new councilor that makes it not as poo poo.

Third civic slot

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Nuclearmonkee posted:

They aren't terribly fun to play as either. If you're going for a megacorp play, you probably want to be buds with as many nations as possible to maximize your branch offices

criminal branch offices aren't for income,(though it gets silly if you grab somewhere with great trade value) it's there to antagonize people / everyone. you provoke empires into wars they're ill-equipped for and land yourself a bunch of new, miserable subsidiaries by kicking their teeth in then robbing them blind in taxes

focus on trade value yourself and just hire every mercenary and marauder on the map, buy a quick fleet from the salvagers, instead of making your own fleets so the weakling you're antagonizing thinks they have the upper hand until you day 1 have bought every hired gun on the map

playing criminal syndicates can absolutely be hilarious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure if you're playing a criminal syndicate you're absolutely supposed to be making it everyone's problem.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I tried a Criminal Megacorp in multiplayer once and it resulted in me going to the top of everybody's shitlist real quick. I have never been annihilated faster.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Criminal Megacorp's concept is very close to my favorite 4X faction, The Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2, but it's extremely undercooked.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jack Trades posted:

Criminal Megacorp's concept is very close to my favorite 4X faction, The Umbral Choir from Endless Space 2, but it's extremely undercooked.
The thing that it’s missing is any sort of clandestine element. Like, the various mobs and cartels don’t call up the FBI every time they set up a new meth lab, they keep that poo poo quiet. And they certainly don’t go around to the authorities telling them they’re Crime Corp and they’re here to sell dangerous drugs! And, historically, a lot of them have had interests in legitimate businesses, and not even just as fronts.

It would make a lot more sense if they appeared more or less as a “legitimate” megacorp and did legit megacorp stuff as a front for their illicit activities.
Of course, it’s kind of weird how squeaky clean non-criminal megacorps are too! You really think they would keep all the financial fraud and indentured servitude to their own worlds?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think the stem of the problem with criminal megacorps is that if they're not around crime just won't be a thing in your empire. Either crime is truly non-existent in your empire due to good living standards, or you build one enforcer building and that sufficies in near 100% of cases. In the rare case late game where you end up with massive overcrowding on a planet, you get the event and click the "increase unemployment benefits", and the problem goes away.s.

Which means when a criminal megacorp comes along and starts loving up your planets, it feels very aggravating because now you have to go out of your way to deal with their bullshit.

Whereas, if the default game experience had a certain amount of corruption and crime baked in and made it very hard to drop crime below a certain threshold, any criminal enterprise could be siphoning out your lost crime wealth without it being a big deal. States looking to reduce crime to zero would still come into conflict with crime syndicates (but possibly only mid-late game when their crime reduction capacity begins to really ramp up), while other states could sign treaties with crime syndicates that prevents them pushing crime too high, or gives them a cut of the crime income (giving them an alternative way to access some fraction of that lost income). This would also work as a replacement for the pirate mechanics everyone hates!

If you also had a similar mechanism for the civilian economy you could do regular corporations too, regular megacorps take more from the civilian economy than the criminal, crime syndicates more from the criminal economy than the civil, but deals with both are win-win for the receiving state by allowing you to siphon some of it into state coffers.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So the Habinte apparently will copy your ship designs and spawn a bunch of huge fleets if you go to war with them, holy moly.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I have never once in my life turned off auto design on the ships. Are y’all exaggerating or is it really that huge of a deal? I guess I should watch a YouTube video to see how it works.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

zelah posted:

I have never once in my life turned off auto design on the ships. Are y’all exaggerating or is it really that huge of a deal? I guess I should watch a YouTube video to see how it works.

It's not game breaking against AI or anything but it makes some boneheaded decisions that can cut your effective power like crazy. Take a look at some of your auto best around the mid game and wonder why the gently caress it's still using super situational weapons that went obsolete hours ago

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Take it from me, I was definitely struggling maintaining any sort of military presence to the point where I was getting steamrolled in about every game on Cadet difficulty, but just going in and doing like 1 or 2 half-a-brain-cell designs per each ship class in the ship designer and checking "Auto Upgrade" will get you so much further

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

zelah posted:

Designing a basic ship in each class and hitting 'auto-upgrade' is going to give you a more effective fleet pretty much 100 percent of the time, save you a bunch of alloys from the unnecessary weapon swaps that auto-design loves, and prevents designs where you have three weapon slots on a ship and one of them is trying to burn through shields, another bypasses shields and hits armor, and the third one bypasses shields and armor. pants on head-assed ship design

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[Ship design room room]

Me: [chanting] energy siphon, energy siphon

Other scientists: energy siphon, ENERGY SIPHON

High Emperor: [pounding her scepter] ENERGY SIPHON! ENERGY SIPHON! ENERGY SIPHON!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I have seen the Khan get absolutely smoked by energy Siphons when the flagship entered the Tiyanki Breeding Grounds and started blasting. I know this because the Throne was awarded to the space whales.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Horace Kinch posted:

I have seen the Khan get absolutely smoked by energy Siphons when the flagship entered the Tiyanki Breeding Grounds and started blasting. I know this because the Throne was awarded to the space whales.

That's incredible.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Horace Kinch posted:

Best game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have the patched out most of the new dlc bugs?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Seems pretty good to me, I think most of my bugs at this point are UI Overhaul Dynamic still ironing out issues with some of the new leader stuff

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Montu has a new video out ranking expansions and what you might want to get next. I think I agree with basically everything except the species packs since a lot of the joy from those comes down to how you like the portraits, or just if you want more portraits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahrMhGR0Me8

Anno fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 17, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Imo this expansion gives a greater incentive to play Lithoids since they get innate +lifespan. If you lean into levelcap and negative trait reduction you get a ton of value from your leaders.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Horace Kinch posted:

Imo this expansion gives a greater incentive to play Lithoids since they get innate +lifespan. If you lean into levelcap and negative trait reduction you get a ton of value from your leaders.

Finally, a use for my nigh-immortal lithoid necrophages. Sure, it meant that I didn't need to swap out my scientists 90% of the time over an entire game, but also...that was pretty much all they did, really.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Lithoid Progenitor Hives are pretty sweet right now -- the Hive Mind empire bonus zeroes out the pop growth penalty and the Growth Node cancels out the pop assembly penalty at around level 8, which you'll have by around 2230 no problem at all. Their habitability bonus means you can spam onto whatever planets you want to start seeding pop factories, and the leader focus of Progenitors is crazy strong with all the shiny perks you can stack. Fishing for decent governors or scientists isn't much of a chore when you've got the Progenitor passive xp gain and can stack >+100% leader xp gain with very little effort.

I booted one up to mess around with and I've also spawned into the goofiest start I've seen in a while

Blue circles are Fallen Empires, Red is a Marauder, Green are Leviathans - Ether Drake, Scavenger, and Dimensional Horror. Also got Wenkwort, the Rubricator and Helito in there. Good times.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also, the most important thing, I love the Lithoid announcer. Rockin' new tech till I die :black101:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fleet orders keep breaking as soon as anything happens. Had a fleet follow another fleet and as soon as they got into combat it decided to just sit there and do nothing. That's not very helpful.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of pinging going on on the map at all times? A starbase did something, pings for 10 seconds. A science ship found something, pings for 10 seconds. A planet did something, pings for 10 seconds. It's kinda annoying. Especially when multiple things are all pinging at the same time. It seems like if you as much as put the cursor a pixel on to a notification it resets the timer as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
For Under One Rule, what do you reckon is a strong build for a civ going super hard on the leader bonuses?

Is it even viable to do that?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Natural 20 posted:

For Under One Rule, what do you reckon is a strong build for a civ going super hard on the leader bonuses?

Is it even viable to do that?

If you mean upgrading Luminary, going on conquest wars seems to work well so militarist with claim reductions or straight up purifier might work well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you mean upgrading Luminary, going on conquest wars seems to work well so militarist with claim reductions or straight up purifier might work well.

Yeah, that might be smart. I had an idea for going technocracy and then using the luminary's ability to upgrade leader output to just force out huge amounts of science from your technocrat leaders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah, that might be smart. I had an idea for going technocracy and then using the luminary's ability to upgrade leader output to just force out huge amounts of science from your technocrat leaders.

As far as I can tell the easiest upgrade paths are gaining systems and planets during the first 40 years, as well as defensive pacts, winning wars, joining a fed and gaining defensive pacts. After that winning wars and such still seems to trigger upgrades.