Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Elden Ring is GOATed, can’t yet confirm if TOTK beats it but it would be hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's a tremendous achievement but I'd rather run through 30-40 hours of DS3 or Bloodborne or even sekiro vs 80 hours of ER. I couldn't stomach another ER replay so soon, absolutely exhausting game. (Note that this is for a second playthrough, DS3 was over 80 hours for my first and well over 100 for ER)

Can't wait for the DLC though, I'll be ready for another playthrough then (I hope)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Instead of disguising loading screens as tiny crawlspaces for Link to slowly squeeze through, Nintendo designed them as giant holes in the ground. A bold powermove.

During early pre-release it would slowdown and stutter a bit anytime I dove down there and I figured it was just how the game handled loading the area, but since a bit before launch it's been super smooth even if you dive full speed with flight suit into a lit area.

And then lmao shrines are still like 6 repeat cutscenes and 2 loading screens. They definitely would've done the non euclidian space thing, but for real instead of the window illusion if they could.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hatty posted:

I switched to Japanese VA as soon as I could and I think the story and performances are pretty good

How do you tell if a performance is good if you don't speak the language? They could just be phoning it in and I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that’s an extremely reductive approach to acting , even voice acting

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that’s an extremely reductive approach to acting , even voice acting

Acting is one thing, I can see with my eyes someone emoting and moving even if I don't understand the words. But voice acting? How do I know that the original isn't 90s anime english dub quality without being able to understand anything being said?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tone? Intonation? Cadence? Lots of things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What are tone and inflection anyway

Efb but lol what a terrible take on voice acting

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tone? Intonation? Cadence? Lots of things.

Maybe it's just me but when I'm focused on reading the words all I hear is just a barrage of sounds and I don't pick up anything even resembling a word, it's just noise in the background

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Len posted:

How do you tell if a performance is good if you don't speak the language? They could just be phoning it in and I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

Serious question, have you played a Yakuza with Japanese audio?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Len posted:

Maybe it's just me but when I'm focused on reading the words all I hear is just a barrage of sounds and I don't pick up anything even resembling a word, it's just noise in the background

That is definitely not working as intended op

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

anyway who cares tbh

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

trevorreznik posted:

Serious question, have you played a Yakuza with Japanese audio?

Yeah. I read the words and hear sounds but I couldn't tell you if they were good or phoning it in

KingSlime posted:

That is definitely not working as intended op

Wouldn't surprise me if that ties in with my ADHD somehow :shrug: my brain is broken and my PCP doesn't believe in giving adults stimulants so I just have to keep winging it

Len fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 17, 2023

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yakuza with the Japanese audio is sublime I could tell they were very good VAs who take pride in their work

Well at least w the three Yakuza I've played, haven't gotten to em all yet

man nurse posted:

I think it’s pretty self evident that the performances have weight and gravitas to them, even if you don’t speak the language.

Agreed you might not pick up all the nuances but base human emotions/reactions are universal and when poo poo hits the fan you can really tell who's phoning it in vs just half assing it imo

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 17, 2023

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Len posted:

Yeah. I read the words and hear sounds but I couldn't tell you if they were good or phoning it in

I think it’s pretty self evident that the performances have weight and gravitas to them, even if you don’t speak the language.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Len posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if that ties in with my ADHD somehow :shrug: my brain is broken and my PCP doesn't believe in giving adults stimulants so I just have to keep winging it

Honestly yeah it’s probably that, a friend of mine has ADHD and can’t listen to music with vocals as background noise while he’s doing anything else because if he can’t just focus on the music it all sounds lovely and off to him.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Len posted:

Huh. Well, c'est la vie

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I read faster than characters talk so when buttoning through dialogue a language I dont fully understand sounds better than hearing a character cut off mid sentence in a langue I do know. also yeah its hard to tell if a foreign language VO is phoning it in sometimes but that's preferable to listening to a bad English VO which I do know is phoning it in, so Ignorance I bliss I suppose?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is Zelda's English language voice actor better this time?

My new Switch doesn't arrive for a week so I'm depending on this thread.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

hatty posted:

that's preferable to listening to a bad English VO which I do know is phoning it in, so Ignorance I bliss I suppose?

I do this a lot too, lovely voice acting that you can understand just makes it 1000x shittier.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cruft posted:

Is Zelda's English language voice actor better this time?

My new Switch doesn't arrive for a week so I'm depending on this thread.

yes, though her characterization and overall presence is worse. hope you didn't like slightly kooky naturalist zelda too much because nintendo's in a great flaming hurry to put her in a dress and have her stand around with that distressed clasped-hands pose forever

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

yes, though her characterization and overall presence is worse. hope you didn't like slightly kooky naturalist zelda too much because nintendo's in a great flaming hurry to put her in a dress and have her stand around with that distressed clasped-hands pose forever

GDI

She should be replaced with Brigadier General Peach, IMO.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Len posted:

are you a robot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what is this human "emotion" you speak of

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

I'm fine with not being able to tell, versus DEFINITELY knowing that those English accents are loving terrible.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
elden ring and totk are separate but equal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm fine with not being able to tell, versus DEFINITELY knowing that those English accents are loving terrible.

I switched to english briefly on each of the champions, except for Sidon who I left in english whole time and guess which character I hate lol

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
All Nintendo games that are dubbed should have an alternative language option to replace all vocals with Animal Crossing style noises no matter how weird it would be for a game's tone or aesthetics.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

All Nintendo games that are dubbed should have an alternative language option to replace all vocals with Animal Crossing style noises no matter how weird it would be for a game's tone or aesthetics.

Robbie should sound like the scientist from Luigi's Mansion

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Elden Ring is GOATed, can’t yet confirm if TOTK beats it but it would be hard

You can jump over head-high walls in TotK.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

You can jump over head-high walls in TotK.

if you keep saying this eventually itll be funny for sure.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Re: Voice acting. I switched to Italian audio and understand around 40% of what's being said. I hate that English subtitles don't even begin to match up with what is being said lol.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Stux posted:

if you keep saying this eventually itll be funny for sure.

I'm typing it not saying it Stux.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Typing is tool-assisted saying

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Nier is the best open world game and it isn't even close

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
What is “secret stone” in Japanese? It sounds so lame in English that I assume it’s a literal translation of something that has ideomatic or metaphoric context.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
The Japanese VA for TotK is the equivalent of its English VA; what you would expect off a children's cartoon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Long-Time Lurker posted:

The Japanese VA for TotK is the equivalent of its English VA; what you would expect off a children's cartoon.

I don't speak Japanese, so i can't tell. :smugbert:

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I'm only just getting into smash ultimate, is there a thread for it? does anyone round these parts play still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

I'm typing it not saying it Stux.

hurrr