Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dabir posted:

Coffee: Weirdly hot

Do NOT say this to the replicator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just rip the pot roast out of it's packaging, stuff it under your shirt and run out screaming you've been stabbed as you leave a trail of blood and then go home and roast that sucker.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

I was always filling jars to take home from my previous employer - it was the good poo poo too. :ssh:

Same, but eventually HR demanded that I use the loo like everyone else

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of supermarket coffee crimes, I had a crack ping moment at work today.

New promotion encouraging people to buy coffee in bags to save money and recycle the bags.

Had a hunch, so I checked:

The bag which tells you to recycle it on the front, is not recyclable. Glass jars, last I checked, still are both directly recyclable in that it is still a jar when you take the coffee out of it and you can put them in recycle bins.

Also:

It costs more, and has less in it, and would still cost more per gram if both were a full price.

You can neither save money, nor recycle, with the save money and recycle coffee bag. I feel at some point this should constitute false advertising.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Tweet at them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have never had a twitter but if you want to you're welcome to. It's in sainsburys.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of supermarket coffee crimes, I had a crack ping moment at work today.

New promotion encouraging people to buy coffee in bags to save money and recycle the bags.

Had a hunch, so I checked:

The bag which tells you to recycle it on the front, is not recyclable. Glass jars, last I checked, still are both directly recyclable in that it is still a jar when you take the coffee out of it and you can put them in recycle bins.

Also:

It costs more, and has less in it, and would still cost more per gram if both were a full price.

You can neither save money, nor recycle, with the save money and recycle coffee bag. I feel at some point this should constitute false advertising.

you’ve cracked the code how we as a society are going to combat climate change

we’re not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really that surprised but it's just an impressively poo poo product in every conceivable way. I was thinking maybe some element of it might have use but no.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

you’ve cracked the code how we as a society are going to combat climate change

we’re not

Clicked that spoiler with great alacrity, and well...

:hmmyes:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Large companies using a veneer of environmentalism as an excuse to fleece the average person.

Shocking.

Cunts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently if you have powerful republic of ireland recycling technology you can though.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really that surprised but it's just an impressively poo poo product in every conceivable way. I was thinking maybe some element of it might have use but no.

you can make a lot of money green washing and other “feel good” products

for example we keep buying/refilling that eco washing up liquid at the fair trade store, which is more expensive and probably just as toxic to the environment

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dysgenesis posted:

Large companies using a veneer of environmentalism as an excuse to fleece the average person.

Shocking.

Cunts.

I mean it’s not like Nestle have a history of being cunts or anything

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently if you have powerful republic of ireland recycling technology you can though.
Peat fired power stations can recycle nearly anything into air pollution.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
as if £7 a pint or whatever wasn’t bad enough, I’m in a bar in central Birmingham which has a beer it’s selling for £4.95 a half

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ew, schooners. If only it weren't antithetical to go to the shops, buy your beers at half the price then sit outside the pub. Then again loads of people go to Spoons still so gently caress it.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 17, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why did they start allowing beer to be sold in 380ml measures in 2011? Was it a Lib Dem idea hard fought in exchange for not building any new hospitals or something?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1658929820506390528?t=2bAa_BJO1AUfhb3osSQu0w&s=19

This is going to be a very funny sideshow to the next election

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

Ew, schooners. If only it weren't antithetical to go to the shops, buy your beers at half the price then sit outside the pub. Then again loads of people go to Spoons still so gently caress it.

the problem is that then you don’t get pub quizzes where I can feel smug for knowing that Jennifer Capriati won an Olympic gold medal in 1992

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

as if £7 a pint or whatever wasn’t bad enough, I’m in a bar in central Birmingham which has a beer it’s selling for £4.95 a half

Imagine trying to feel smug sitting in Birmingham

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't think it's possible to feel smug after spending £5 on half a pint

Feel mugged, maybe

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Had a short family holiday in Tenerife last year. After we got to the hotel and settled in I figured I'd pay for the first round.

I asked for the receipt because I thought I'd accidentally ripped them off. It was less than a third of what I would have paid in England.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

Had a short family holiday in Tenerife last year. After we got to the hotel and settled in I figured I'd pay for the first round.

I asked for the receipt because I thought I'd accidentally ripped them off. It was less than a third of what I would have paid in England.

Went to Istanbul earlier this year.
Lovely place, lovely food, everytime I went into a restaurant I was dreading the bill and then utterly flabbergasted by how little it actually cost.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gorn Myson posted:

It's called Tenerife cause you can get a big round of pints for a tenner

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

It's Nestlé, it's a miracle it wasn't packaged in a freshly-punched seal calf.

Up until recently they were using the green dot that looked as though it implied the bags were recyclable, but they weren't - what it actually meant was they were making "a financial contribution towards how the packaging will be disposed of" - carbon credits bullshit essentially.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Blinks77 posted:

Went to Istanbul earlier this year.
Lovely place, lovely food, everytime I went into a restaurant I was dreading the bill and then utterly flabbergasted by how little it actually cost.

Turkey is probably a bad example what with the government and economic collapse both being worse than the UK's (for now)

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Turkey is probably a bad example what with the government and economic collapse both being worse than the UK's (for now)

Yes, hand-made things, like restaurant meals, being available cheaply means those making those meals are _definitely_ not making much.

The opposite isn’t _necessarily_ true; the extra money may never make it into the hands of the workers, or may be appropriated by landlords downstream. But still, judging an economy by how well it suits a tourist is a bit of a trap.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

WHO REMEMBERS PROPER SEWAGE?

https://twitter.com/itvpeston/status/1658952110417891332?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This sounds like a supervillain origin story that explains Toryism

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

proper british floaters made of beef and potatoes, none of this falafel and avocado nonsense

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

britannia poos the waves

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sun Politics Hack lol

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1658863172768481282?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

I used to think that once journos started feeling the material effects of the poo poo they write they would come onside. In the same way that even thatcher knew not to piss off the police.

Lately though I've concluded that won't really happen. The useful idiots will continue to push against anything and anyone who might help them, because that's how they make a living.

Only joy now is watching the leopard face eating.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If you think we've got a cost of living crisis here, the inflation rate in Turkey is currently around 44%, with food inflation a blistering 54%.

https://take-profit.org/en/statistics/inflation-rate/turkey/

Tourists probably do OK due to x-rates, but I dunno how many Turkish people can afford to eat out at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

WHO REMEMBERS PROPER SEWAGE?
I remember how easily a working system can tip.

Fortunately 'the pandemic' is over so the health tracking app got switched off instead of expanded into looking for other diseases, because we cured all them.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I remember how easily a working system can tip.

Fortunately 'the pandemic' is over so the health tracking app got switched off instead of expanded into looking for other diseases, because we cured all them.

Oh that’s reassuring. Maybe I’m just infected by doomerism, but aren’t we massively on borrowed time with bird flu becoming a major catastrophe? I’m sure our overlords are on the case about that one, so nothing to worry about…

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's the woman who cried about how terrified she was of Jeremy Corbyn and then got a black doctor fired for saying Britain is racist a week later. Couldn't happen to a nicer piece of poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Briefcase Payne’s life quest to become Gove 2: Electric Boogaloo continues apace …

https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1656072324997693443?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's the woman who cried about how terrified she was of Jeremy Corbyn and then got a black doctor fired for saying Britain is racist a week later. Couldn't happen to a nicer piece of poo poo.
I wondered what she'd done to make me insult her enough to get blocked on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Noa Tracist

Answers Me posted:

Oh that’s reassuring. Maybe I’m just infected by doomerism, but aren’t we massively on borrowed time with bird flu becoming a major catastrophe? I’m sure our overlords are on the case about that one, so nothing to worry about…
It's highly possible with intensive chicken farming.

My worry with cholera is that we're managed to keep it out since the 1890s, it's old enough and famous enough that the loons can't blame it on a space laboratory or something, and it only takes one family of asymptomatic immigrants to naively assume that their toilet leads to somewhere equipped to handle human poo poo rather than the river. That gets you a return of cholera and probably a bunch of nasty anti-migrant rhetoric yet again.

(This is exactly what happened in Bradford in the 90s with dysentery. In that case it was water privatization and metering that meant people were bathing and handwashing less, but nobody was prepared to admit that they couldn't afford a bath, whereas too many were prepared to claim they saw Ahmed making GBS threads in the back yard and wiping his arse with his hand.)

I suppose now that the government has learned their lesson about apps it should, in theory, be a lot quicker and cheaper to roll out the next app when there is another epidemic disease, but just closing the whole thing down rather than making a more general environmental and public health app still seems grossly irresponsible.