Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

won the same amount of games as Ken.

Huh? Ken won 73. James won 32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
James sucks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

welcome posted:

James sucks.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

welcome posted:

James sucks.

1. Mayim hosts forever, but James never appears on the show again.

2. Ken keeps hosting, but James appears as a contestant once every 23 days from now until the heat death of the universe.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Huh? Ken won 73. James won 32.

In the GOAT... They won 4 each

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Island Nation posted:

In the GOAT... They won 4 each

Nope.

Match 1: Jennings 1, Holzhauer 1.
Match 2: Holzhauer 2
Match 3: Jennings 2
Match 4: Jennings 2

Total: Jennings 5, Holzhauer 3.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

christmas boots posted:

2. Ken keeps hosting, but James appears as a contestant once every 23 days from now until the heat death of the universe.

3. James hosts and ensures that everyone knows how awesome he thinks he is after every Final Jeopardy.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

christmas boots posted:

Who's hosting Wheel?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Kendrick Lamar is a hip hop artist; not pop. That was an odd question , but I guess it's how you look at it, though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

welcome posted:

Who's hosting Wheel?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timby posted:

Nope.

Match 1: Jennings 1, Holzhauer 1.
Match 2: Holzhauer 2
Match 3: Jennings 2
Match 4: Jennings 2

Total: Jennings 5, Holzhauer 3.

This is why I will never be on the show

Auf Wiedersehen Amy & Sam

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Kendrick Lamar is a hip hop artist; not pop. That was an odd question , but I guess it's how you look at it, though.

music genres dont mean poo poo and havent for some time. see every Rock and roll hall of fame entree for the last 20 years

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

:ohdear:

https://people.com/tv/jeopardy-champion-mattea-roach-dad-dies/

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spokes posted:

Some great players, certainly (Andrew in particular has really been showing out) but why did we have to get James agaiiiiiiiiiiiin? what about sam kavanaugh?

IMO, it's because there are really only two players who are recognizable to people who watch Jeopardy occasionally but who are not serious Jeopardy fans, and they are Ken Jennings and James. You're going to see a lot of him just because he has high name recognition. Like him or hate him, his whole 'Jeopardy heel' thing worked.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah, that was a game. yeesh

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm going to miss both Amy and Buttrey Males. They were two of the nicest Jeopardy Masters (no knock on the others).

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Boy I read that url wrong and though Mattea herself died. My heart jumped a but.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Glad she clarified the 10 commandments category; I was starting to spool up my Biggie Smalls' "10 Crack Commandments" facts.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

THAT IS NoT AN ACRoNYM

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
"The last four original letters of the Hollywood sign."

"What is 'land'?"

"Yes... for Hollywoodland."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goober in the middle podium today looks like a mortician.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Timby posted:

Goober in the middle podium today looks like a mortician.

To clarify, I'm not in the middle podium or a mortician.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, I'll go ahead and admit it: I'm already sick of James. I don't have a problem with the others but something about him (it's coming across as a smug prick even when I don't necessarily think he means to) grates on my nerves after a while. When the same person wins all the time, it just makes it boring.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, I'll go ahead and admit it: I'm already sick of James. I don't have a problem with the others but something about him (it's coming across as a smug prick even when I don't necessarily think he means to)

Oh, he absolutely is a smug prick.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ben had some things to say about today's game on Reddit:
Lynn played a perfect game! Especially happy for her, since she is an incredibly knowledgeable fan of the show.
"Benedict" is incorrect. The character's name is Benedick. As Ken (presciently) noted on my first episode, there is no partial credit on Jeopardy! (Yes, I was sooo close!)
I made some bad flashcards. The 'Benedict' misspelling is common, and it worked its way onto a couple of my flashcards. (Of note: the misspelling is contained in Irene Franck's On the Tip of Your Tongue, which serious J! nerds will know as a favorite of Karl Coryat).

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Inital gut reaction was that he got Benedick'd over.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

odinson posted:

Inital gut reaction was that he got Benedick'd over.

She didn't do a good job of explaining. Mayim seemed out of rhythm with the responses. Lots of pauses to rule them correct.

Masters tournament rant:

Why do we even need a final? I've seen these people way too much and the result isn't in doubt.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Mayim seemed out of rhythm with the responses.

When isn't she?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Having some iffy responses that required actual thinking to rule on is beyond her capabilities.

I just had to laugh at that final since it's about the Shakespeare play I know the best, I love the train wreck that is the 1993 adaptation starring and directed by Kenneth Branagh, with Keanu Reeves as the cherry on top.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That’s not a trainwreck, it’s incredible, how dare

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

FrumpleOrz posted:

When isn't she?

*five second pause* That's correct, she is ill-suited

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Why do we even need a final? I've seen these people way too much and the result isn't in doubt.

the final is the whole draw to me, honestly. it's very clear that no one eligible to compete on jeopardy is going to give James any trouble over a prolonged series. But the variance of a single two-game set? Only 6 DDs, 2 tough finals--there's room for something interesting to happen there

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

any given sunday

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Mattea would've won if she went for the throat but she and strangely James whiffed on Malory and Le Morte D’Arthur and bet small, James is now SGOAT

Feels weird getting the Final though since I missed on almost everything else

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Island Nation posted:

Mattea would've won if she went for the throat but she and strangely James whiffed on Malory and Le Morte D’Arthur and bet small, James is now SGOAT

Feels weird getting the Final though since I missed on almost everything else

Translated it right. Knew what it was referring to, could only come up with Geoffrey of Monmouth, which I knew was a couple of centuries earlier.

Got the final in the first game easy, tho. Feel proud of myself for sweeping a first round category in the semifinals. Yes, 1980s pop culture..

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Spokes posted:

the final is the whole draw to me, honestly. it's very clear that no one eligible to compete on jeopardy is going to give James any trouble over a prolonged series. But the variance of a single two-game set? Only 6 DDs, 2 tough finals--there's room for something interesting to happen there

ah, okay, even if everything goes wrong he still wins. yeah whatever i'm tired of this guy too

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Absolute lol

The lawyer couldn't answer "firm" as the place that lawyers work at.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

Absolute lol

The lawyer couldn't answer "firm" as the place that lawyers work at.

Sometimes when you're too close to something, you absolutely loving flub it.

I, a person who has written over 100 murder mystery novels and do this as my job, have missed a question on Agatha Christie in the past. It just happens, and it happens even more when you're under SO MUCH PRESSURE to not look like an idiot.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

Sometimes when you're too close to something, you absolutely loving flub it.

I, a person who has written over 100 murder mystery novels and do this as my job, have missed a question on Agatha Christie in the past. It just happens, and it happens even more when you're under SO MUCH PRESSURE to not look like an idiot.

I tried giving them some leeway due to the pressure, for sure. But I still feel like it's too obvious. Agatha is really important for the genre and I get what you're saying but I don't think you'd miss "a novel genre where someone dies but it is unclear who made them die" or something rather than a specific title or character or murder weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Island Nation posted:

My answer matched James’s, yeah—once I translated the phrase I couldn’t get T.H. White out of my head even if he was 5 centuries too late. With five minutes I think I’d have gotten to Malory.

Gutted for Mattea, they absolutely sliced through that second game