Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Welp, had a great run with exactly the team I wanted for chapter 2, vestal, grave robber, highwayman, and hellion, could beat the poo poo out of any rank I needed to. Died with it still at a third health because it decided to delete a character with nothing I could do about it. The runs are so long to just have a boss fight that's so rng. Darkest dungeon baby

I can't quite put my finger on what I hate so much about that, like other roguelikes if the run is going like, perfect, I clear the boss. Or just that darkest dungeon 1 never felt half as hard as this does. Something just really hits in the wrong way to go from I'm so loving juiced to oh, there went the whole thing. Time to fire up another one until the radiant light is so op I roll the whole thing. Also haha you lose out on a nice chunk of candles for wiping on the boss.

Do I just rush the body and ignore the lungs for chapter 2? I thought engaging with the mechanic would be the thing to do, and I could see it working if rng goes better, but that's boring to just take stabs until hey, I rolled a 20.

particularly with bloodmoon runs there were times where I got absolutely hosed on with nothing I could do about it, multiple times in a row, which destroyed days or weeks of progress. that wasn’t even necessarily from bosses, just random mobs chain critting the same person over and over and just murdering them, then doing it again

Going into Crimson Court blind without a guide or map was fuckin brutal, that goddamn crocodile. so were the darkest dungeon runs before I figured out what was going on. and vvulf always showing up at literally the worst time. and figuring out how to deal with the shrieker. DD1 felt way harder to me.

Honestly when Death showed up and laser targeted and chain crit my flagellant down it was kinda nostalgic

As for chapter two boss, imho, if you ignore the lungs you will die. You can’t win that race. Front lung needs 12 damage back needs 9, or the other way around I forget. As long as you can hit those thresholds with one attack you’re set for phase one. Phase two I popped both lungs for maybe one round, then just hit one to reduce damage and raced from there. With a bunch of blight stacks built up it wasn’t too bad. I had trouble with this boss though so there’s probably better ways to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

For the act 2 boss you can't ignore the lungs entirely, but whether or not you kill the lungs first depends on your team composition, I think. While killing a lung makes the AOE weaker it also makes its other attacks stronger, and if you spend too much resources chewing through 1 lung's 150-200 HP you may end up getting whittled down too much in the end. If you have a Vestal who can sustain the team indefinitely with Divine Comfort for example you can probably kill the lungs first, if you have a more offensive team it's probably better to hit the lungs just enough and then race the boss once it gets to the point where it uses Deep Breath with both lungs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Welp, had a great run with exactly the team I wanted for chapter 2, vestal, grave robber, highwayman, and hellion, could beat the poo poo out of any rank I needed to. Died with it still at a third health because it decided to delete a character with nothing I could do about it. The runs are so long to just have a boss fight that's so rng. Darkest dungeon baby

I can't quite put my finger on what I hate so much about that, like other roguelikes if the run is going like, perfect, I clear the boss. Or just that darkest dungeon 1 never felt half as hard as this does. Something just really hits in the wrong way to go from I'm so loving juiced to oh, there went the whole thing. Time to fire up another one until the radiant light is so op I roll the whole thing. Also haha you lose out on a nice chunk of candles for wiping on the boss.

Do I just rush the body and ignore the lungs for chapter 2? I thought engaging with the mechanic would be the thing to do, and I could see it working if rng goes better, but that's boring to just take stabs until hey, I rolled a 20.

Oh man, I just had like the exact same scenario, but without the character deletion. loving awesome team of vestal/jester/flaggelant/man at arms. Got a good start with 2 whiskey casks in the first end that turned into all of them absolutely loving each other and maxing out the positive relationships every inn.

Got my first lair win (The General) and beat Death when she came for the flaggelent. Rolled easily through everything else.

Then did not have enough ranged attack to keep the Seething Sigh's lung empty (only vestal and flaggelant could hit the back row and they were my only healers). Missed a turn of beating on the lungs so I could heal and it was all over.

Very weird to go from kicking the most rear end I've ever kicked in to completely unable. Feels like I could never have played that team right though. Not enough back row damage for that bloss.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

For the act 2 boss you can't ignore the lungs entirely, but whether or not you kill the lungs first depends on your team composition, I think. While killing a lung makes the AOE weaker it also makes its other attacks stronger, and if you spend too much resources chewing through 1 lung's 150-200 HP you may end up getting whittled down too much in the end. If you have a Vestal who can sustain the team indefinitely with Divine Comfort for example you can probably kill the lungs first, if you have a more offensive team it's probably better to hit the lungs just enough and then race the boss once it gets to the point where it uses Deep Breath with both lungs.

i completely ignored the lungs and cleared it first try with no issues

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

With that team I'd probably try to adapt by giving the Flagellant and Vestal some +DMG trinket just to bump up the minimum damage of their rank 4 attacks, and have the MAA bring Command for good measure. I also had a similar team (replace Vestal with PD) and I managed the back lung decently enough that way. Encore can help in an emergency too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Glorious victory is mine

Eat catharsis to the face fucker :black101:

Last fight was so, so much better than the third, goddamn

Great game, I really enjoyed it

I'll absolutely be back to check out any future dlc that adds new areas/characters/bosses/whatever

I may dip in for the odd run to try out other goofball parties, but I've got Age of Wonders 4 races and worlds to create

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

i actually do not understand how the game saves. like i clear a fight, roll a bit in the wagon, and exit to desktop. boot up the game the next day and load into the fight i cleared?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:getin:

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Guess the game heard me whining, beat chapter 2 on the next run with the same crew. I was trying some paths just to try, since I didn't think I'd make it. Had a skin of my teeth run, after fish lair everyone hated each other and the third zone was so dicey with everyone debuffing the poo poo out of each other on half their moves. Radiant 3 was probably what got me through, those buffs get huge. Also I hit 2 or 3 road fights where it was just 2 gaunts, that was a weird freebie.

Grapeshot on ranged path highwayman was great in the boss, but mostly it just never got any crits. Worked it down slowly playing mechanic and it never double tapped a specific hero or crit.

Now I'm tempted to run the crew through chapter 1 for the memory on a living crew. Not sure they could take chapter 3, but the memories mechanic pushing an all chapter clear seems like an interesting and ungodly long thing to do. Wish I could shelve them for a later run, feels like a waste not taking advantage of memories while I have them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dismas, you don’t get to have a guilt trip about (last skill) killing the occupants of the carriage after unloading on it ten times.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sugar free jazz posted:

i actually do not understand how the game saves. like i clear a fight, roll a bit in the wagon, and exit to desktop. boot up the game the next day and load into the fight i cleared?

Yeah I wish this was made more clear cause I reach what I think is a natural save point (an inn) but I don't actually know if/when the game is saved or if I'm gonna have to redo all my shopping/mastery points investments.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Now I'm tempted to run the crew through chapter 1 for the memory on a living crew. Not sure they could take chapter 3, but the memories mechanic pushing an all chapter clear seems like an interesting and ungodly long thing to do. Wish I could shelve them for a later run, feels like a waste not taking advantage of memories while I have them.

fwiw I finished without ever grinding for candles or having a full crew of memories on any run

I filled out the resources/stagecoach trees, a decent amount of the item unlocks, and then maxed the characters that I was going for the boss with, but that was it, and even characters weren't all full on my winning runs

I'd recommend against it unless you're really struggling - in which case just ask for advice, there's plenty of viable loadouts for the bosses (most of them, gently caress 3rd boss)

as a general tip, prioritize getting Mastery - you'll generally get plenty of good trinkets on any run, but it's quite possible to be light on mastery, and that has a direct impact on your total power that you can't get any other way

as for what to spend it on, *very* early, target your highest damage skill on each character, then their most used utility, or vice versa depending on their role

if you run with one party for a bit, you'll get a good sense of the skills you're using almost every turn - those are the ones you want mastered first

also keep in mind there are a few fights (lair, cultist, final boss), where you may want to switch around skills, don't forget to change them back or you'll hate yourself

and last, read the wiki pages on relationships and stress, every successful run I had, I had the opposite of a failure spiral with relationships and stress - having everyone love each other makes everything easier (but I have won runs with pissed off party members, so that's possible too, most classes have one or two skills that aren't totally necessary, so having something irrelevant locked sucks but isn't run ending in most cases)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Popete posted:

Yeah I wish this was made more clear cause I reach what I think is a natural save point (an inn) but I don't actually know if/when the game is saved or if I'm gonna have to redo all my shopping/mastery points investments.

I think there is very briefly the torch logo in the upper right when it saves. It very certainly saves on entering and leaving a location, the prior posters issue seems like a bug.

/saves after the fight and displays it almost invisble

haldolium fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 17, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

chapter 5 down with an extremely silly team.

Breacher and Defiant Man at Arms with Clenching Claws just tanked literally everything and didn't give a single poo poo because he took no damage and debuffed the entire enemy team by existing and getting slapped around. He just stood there while the Seraph Vestal used Divine Comfort and consecrations, with a 50% heal Mantra always ready just in case. Highwayman just chunked away with Consecration of Light on him, while the Plague Doctor with Early Experiment and Brilliant Brew ground everything down. Also had about 150-200 relics of inn items saved for the final inn because of The Bumper Crop from Harvest Child giving me a massive inventory and Assay Gear giving me infinite money. Kinda felt like the final boss was more of an endurance thing and leaned into it and the only time i was even close to Death's Door is when phase 2 stole like eight tokens from my Highwayman, then stole all the block tokens from the Man at Arms, and crit him for 60.

Still don't have nearly everything unlocked, a single character maxed out, or even all the stories done. I think farming candles and unlocks before trying to beat the game actually makes it harder. Unlocking trinkets, stagecoach items, etc and having them immediately available in your inventory is a massive bonus. If you unlock a few of each, each run, it makes things a ton easier.

Game is good as hell and I'm already jonesin for an expansion.

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 17, 2023

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Nice, I'll not worry about the candles so much. I had an old save with some skills unlocked, but I was curious how many candles I'd have just by the time I unlocked everything so I started over. Resources/stagecoach trees were first, and now I've got my main four's tracks mostly done. Still missing skills on them too, but have most of their kits that I want unlocked. Doesn't help I blew all of them from my first couple runs into the plague doctor for that sweet magnesium rain. Could definitely spend more on items, I've only been spending 4/5 unlocks per tree each run to boost it.

Once all items are unlocked, you can't spend to get free stuff at the start of runs anymore, right?

I've definitely hurt myself not mastering the right skills at the first inn, for a while I thought the stress heal was worth it but wicked hack and poison dart are my go to's now, unless I'm going into the blight resist zone first.

Something else that's still hard is I forget to burn combat items every time I can, like I end a lot of runs with extra stuff. Like the items that buff a resist and reduce stress on it triggering, I should just burn those first turn every fight against enemies that could dot, but I forget to throw one out and then it's like well that fight's half over...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

cock hero flux posted:

How??
I had a super high damage team but I'd have completely been welped if I didn't clear that token first

sugar free jazz posted:

Still don't have nearly everything unlocked, a single character maxed out, or even all the stories done. I think farming candles and unlocks before trying to beat the game actually makes it harder. Unlocking trinkets, stagecoach items, etc and having them immediately available in your inventory is a massive bonus. If you unlock a few of each, each run, it makes things a ton easier.

They also sorta tie up your inventory, as in there's suddenly a loving colossal pool of drops. I'd done all the character stuff before I spent anything on trinkets so I saw a ton more of the character specific ones and now I've got a lot more rubbish around and about

I also feel like the last few skill unlocks for every character tend to have stuff that's MEGA situational and realistically you don't need them

Taear fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 17, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's kind of odd to me that you unlock trinkets and items that go into a global pool because it means you're less likely to find any one specific item and in a way makes each run more RNG if you're going for a specific build.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a smaller loot table where you can select what items could show up from the larger pool.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Popete posted:

It's kind of odd to me that you unlock trinkets and items that go into a global pool because it means you're less likely to find any one specific item and in a way makes each run more RNG if you're going for a specific build.

I wonder if it wouldn't be better to have a smaller loot table where you can select what items could show up from the larger pool.

I like that you can’t count on trinket drops. Need to be flexible and deal with what you get. Being able to limit the loot table would definitely make things easier, but i personally don’t think it would be better

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm only just starting the game, had like 4 (failed) runs so far but this time it was going pretty well and i made it all the way to the mountain

like 3 turns into the fight and this is how my team is looking

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sugar free jazz posted:

I like that you can’t count on trinket drops. Need to be flexible and deal with what you get. Being able to limit the loot table would definitely make things easier, but i personally don’t think it would be better

I get that, it just seems odd to me that unlocking more trinkets especially ones that you may not want or ever use is almost a punishment and makes the game more difficult because it means there is less chance to pull something you want.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Taear posted:

How??
I had a super high damage team but I'd have completely been welped if I didn't clear that token first

I don't know, I just hit him a lot and he died. I cleared the token when it was on the front one but I really had no ability to hit the fourth row so I had to just let that one go. The damage seemed pretty manageable to me.

that said I did have that one trophy that gives you like, double hp across the entire party

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

It's the common roguelike thing of unlocking something good and now the loot pool is better, but unlocking something bad makes it worse. I like games that let you turn off certain drops, but it would be pretty easy to cheese this since so many are super build specific or just bad.

I'm sure there will be a mod eventually to edit your loot pool. I just wish more trinkets were like, worth using. Loot is better when it's not trash I throw out of my inventory the second I see it.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I think its the lack of variety in runs. In most roguelikes you can run into some game changing item or piece of equipment that completely warps the way the run is played, DD 2 seems to be missing that potential. Theres just not that much that can go differently in runs

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

babypolis posted:

I think its the lack of variety in runs. In most roguelikes you can run into some game changing item or piece of equipment that completely warps the way the run is played, DD 2 seems to be missing that potential. Theres just not that much that can go differently in runs

Yea it's missing a "Relic" equivalent, those items that totally change how it works. I guess the Trophy is sort of meant to be that but it's not random.

Popete posted:

I get that, it just seems odd to me that unlocking more trinkets especially ones that you may not want or ever use is almost a punishment and makes the game more difficult because it means there is less chance to pull something you want.

I mean yea, that's what I was saying in my post.
Every inn I'd pick up Laudanum before and now I can't. Cards are often gone too, replaced by the (much more expensive) books

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
One of my best leper runs is the trinket that turns blind tokens into crit tokens. That way you just never stop chopping and good things just keep happening. A lot of the reversal trinkets like that also let you get over the maluses from your party members that hate each other. Every time I weaken an ally, I'm actually helping them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
There's a trinket that gives you +10% dmg for every positive token but - 10% for every negative token which can get absolutely bonkers on tanks when you have 3 block tokens and a str token.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1940340/view/3700314962453244126?l=english

Confession 3 Boss

Cloistered Eye: Seek skills will now target a random hero when there's no random hero to target
Bifurcated Eye: Detect skills now targets random heroes
Cluster of Eyes: Evince skills now targets random heroes

What does this mean, exactly? I've fought this boss twice

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

seemingly that the targeting for applying markers is now random, which seems worse to deal with honestly

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
The eyes target a specific rank normally but if that hero is dead they'll target a random hero I think.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Leper and flagellant got "amorous" in one of my runs. Normally this would be medically inadvisable but I think they're both in "what's the worst that could happen" territory. That said, this is all very unpleasant to contemplate and it didn't help when MaA joined the polycule.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Leper and flagellant got "amorous" in one of my runs. Normally this would be medically inadvisable but I think they're both in "what's the worst that could happen" territory. That said, this is all very unpleasant to contemplate and it didn't help when MaA joined the polycule.

STDDs

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

cock hero flux posted:

lmao, same. Vestal, Jester, Graverobber, and MAA.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Panfilo posted:

More Leper stuff:

Thanks for this write up. I wasn't utilizing Revenge like I should have been, and was defaulting to Ruin for damage build up. Which is okay, but situational. Still getting used to him though.

Most fun party I've had so far was Occultist/Jester/Leper/HWM. Non stop tokens and dancing. I got beat down hard when I got to the 3rd act boss, but was otherwise a lot of fun.
Vestal/Occultist/MAA/Leper on my next run got me through though. Seems like a really strong party in general, but not nearly as fun as my dancing token party. God, MAA is just mandatory for the 3rd act.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I DID IT :woop:

A Grand Slam run with the Stygian Blaze equipped in all 5 acts. The team was Alchemist PD, Virtuoso Jester, Bulwark MAA, and Scourge Flag. The team just felt incredibly strong and low-risk, even taking Death into consideration, since Jester and MAA can set up a lot of block and dodge tokens to prepare before her possible appearance. Also Stygian Blaze gave me a newfound appreciation for Jester's Play Out since it's quite helpful to recover in an ambush.

It's very appropriate that I built the team around Flag and he got the final blow in the end.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Holy poo poo dude, congrats on pulling that off. You mind writing up some of your strategy for that?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

A Grand Slam run with the Stygian Blaze equipped in all 5 acts. The team was Alchemist PD, Virtuoso Jester, Bulwark MAA, and Scourge Flag. The team just felt incredibly strong and low-risk, even taking Death into consideration, since Jester and MAA can set up a lot of block and dodge tokens to prepare before her possible appearance. Also Stygian Blaze gave me a newfound appreciation for Jester's Play Out since it's quite helpful to recover in an ambush.

It's very appropriate that I built the team around Flag and he got the final blow in the end.

Goddamn man, you really did both of those at the same time? Grand Slam alone is hard as hell and you did it with Stygian at the same time? You rule.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Holy poo poo dude, congrats on pulling that off. You mind writing up some of your strategy for that?

I'll try to cover the important points. I can only mostly say about this team comp specifically though, since your general strats will also change with your comp.

PD is the main damage dealer of the team, and I always upgrade Plague Grenade first to delete the backline ASAP. My opener in random encounters is usually Encore into double Plague Grenades + Acid Rain if necessary, or if I think I value a blind on some big monster more (or if double Plague Grenade won't cut it anyway because the PD rolled low on Speed) I'll have the Jester use Fade to Black. I also usually upgrade Flagellant's Deathless or Undying first depending on my first region. Deathless is great vs the General, but Undying can generally make the first run a lot safer since 5 HP regen is a lot that early. Later on Sepsis can help burst down a big enemy that you can't just wait for Blight DOTs to tick. Bulwark MAA alternates between Stand Fast and Retribution to tank. Magnesium Rain and Bellow are great slot-ins for random encounters but especially the Creature Den. I actually barely ever use More! More! with this comp, but if I were to use a different MAA path (honestly they're all pretty great) and the MAA can't tank as often I can see myself using it more.

The team loves to go to the Tangle and the Sprawl, especially because they can easily deal with the lair bosses with Plague Grenade and Acid Rain, even as the first region. Though if I go to the Tangle first I'd pack some Laudanums since the General deals a ton of stress. Shroud is also pretty manageable, but Leviathan is less of a cakewalk so it's kind of a tossup if I think the Lair is worth the trouble depending on my trinkets and combat items. I'd rank the regions from easiest to hardest with this comp as Tangle > Sprawl > Shroud >>> Foetor. Foetor is the anti-Blight region so avoid it always.

Kind of an obvious point but I always buy Inn Items that increase affinity if possible, and spend them before embarking to hit friendliness breakpoints as much as I can. Resolute (the quirk that makes you unable to take Whiskey) is unironically one of the worst quirks to me because of this, especially since your quirks transfer between runs if you have memories, and I always prioritize removing it. I also usually buy some lanterns at the start just in case I don't run into enough assistance encounters to keep my Flame up, since the Blaze doubles your ambush chances.

To prepare for Death I always try to end a Resistance Encounter (or a Creature Den, I think she can spawn here too but I don't 100% remember) with high HP/low Stress and some Block tokens from the MAA or Jester's Play Out, and Dodges if I had Razor's Wit mastered. Another important thing is to try to time your final kill at the start of a round, with your other 2-3 heroes still ready to go, so if Death decides to appear they get some "free turns". This generally applies to any team comp that includes a Flag, you wanna treat the end of a Resistance Encounter as your "prebuffing" period. I also try to buy some combat items that can help with the encounter like Smoke Bombs from the Inn, and I basically load up my combat items going into any Resistance Encounter as if Death is gonna appear. Unironically though with enough prep Death is often just a random free mastery point/trinkets.

Act bosses have variable gimmicks but I usually try to line up a good big Sepsis on a combo token to burst them down. I don't slot Strategic Withdrawal for most of the run, but I try to with Act bosses to increase my chances of hitting a combo'd Sepsis.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

blizzardvizard posted:

nerd

no seriously that's amazing and i'm just jealous, well done

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Wow that's absolutely bonkers, well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

blizzardvizard posted:

I'll try to cover the important points. I can only mostly say about this team comp specifically though, since your general strats will also change with your comp.

Everybody, listen to this person, he's wise.

Only thing that I would like to add is that while Foetor is very bad region for this comp, two very good trinkets for PD (Curing Cuppa and Poison Ring) can usually normally only be acquired there, though I would only take Foetor as the first region, and even then it is "maybe".

I think that if you're going Stygian, then it pushes the risk to an unacceptable level though.