Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of vibe and lore, early game random people talking about Zelda: In the time between BoTW's ending and this game's beginning, Zelda went around giving food recipes to random people. She even gave some guy a recipe for his goats. I guess she just walked the Earth like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction said, righting wrongs, giving chef advice etc

It's interesting/cool, but the goat thing was kinda funny. She really had time for that? How did she meet this guy? But I like it.

check the walls in the school in hateno

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of vibe and lore, early game random people talking about Zelda: In the time between BoTW's ending and this game's beginning, Zelda went around giving food recipes to random people. She even gave some guy a recipe for his goats. I guess she just walked the Earth like Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction said, righting wrongs, giving chef advice etc

It's interesting/cool, but the goat thing was kinda funny. She really had time for that? How did she meet this guy? But I like it.

Right, she just went around and did Link things, further taunting us with a game with the series title that isn't a goddamn lie.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rand Brittain posted:

The game has serious memory limitations in order to cram in so many details, and that's why a maximum of 10 NPCs can remember who Link is at once.

This must be why Addison has simply permanently forgotten that nails and hammers exist. It'd take more processing power than he has available.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Khanstant posted:

Right, she just went around and did Link things, further taunting us with a game with the series title that isn't a goddamn lie.

I have no idea where the story is going, only saw one tears cutscene, but for sure I'd enjoy a game with more Zelda too.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Spanish Manlove posted:

check the walls in the school in hateno

Will do! Haven't been there yet, just Rito and Kakariko a bit.

Game rules by the way.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
do yall want everyone to stop and thank you for your service or what? the doordash clan has saved me from starvation plenty of times but i dont remember their names even though they text it to me

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
don't answer this any more than yes or no: does the game ever explain why the depths exist? if it was just extensive caves thats one thing, but the fact that its an exact inverted copy of hyrule makes me question what caused it to exist.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Khanstant posted:

do yall want everyone to stop and thank you for your service or what? the doordash clan has saved me from starvation plenty of times but i dont remember their names even though they text it to me

Sure, it is kinda funny that say Beedle greets you like he's never talked to you before. It is interesting that Link is a bit anonymous, but not uncommon for this kinda thing. I guess since it's so rare to have a direct sequel, they mainly stuck to the usual NPC vibe for the series.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Link isn't a beetle so I would never expect Beedle to remember him

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Khanstant posted:

look all im saying is that its particularly egregious that the lady who cleans link and zelda's house doesnt know who he is. an NPC now and then going "oh hey link whats up" would be nice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it possible to (shrine question) sneak through the infiltration shrine without being detected? I have tons of experience with metal gear and this one feels impossible

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

don't answer this any more than yes or no: does the game ever explain why the depths exist? if it was just extensive caves thats one thing, but the fact that its an exact inverted copy of hyrule makes me question what caused it to exist.

I have no idea, but this idea is so dumb I think it's true lol
Kohga fell after you beating his rear end, into the forgotten depths mining tunnels, and that's why he monster trucks you and learning schemas from him.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lizaflos definitely have the most useful parts for weapons. I found a couple of blue ones and those horns made for some awesome one handed swords

Question: about how many stamina rings do you need to tame the giant horse on Hateno Beach? I have nearly two full ones but that wasn’t enough

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CJacobs posted:

This must be why Addison has simply permanently forgotten that nails and hammers exist. It'd take more processing power than he has available.

I keep trying to come up with a simple summary of what's wrong with Addison's approach to carpentry and failing. I have to assume that he's some kind of Yiga Clan spy and that when I solve every sign puzzle in the game I will finally learn how this was all part of an elaborate plot to kill me.

Khanstant posted:

This makes me want to do the Treize Kushrenada thing and shame you by reciting the names of every single person who has ever brought me groceries, but I regret that I cannot.

That said, people seem to be bizarrely inconsistent about knowing who Link is, given that he's effectively married to the head of state, on top of being the world's biggest badass who is also universally agreed to be super hot. A few people know? But not as many as you would suspect, and it's particuarly weird in places like Kakariko, which was basically Hero-Assisting Village in the first game, and Hateno, where you have apparently lived for the past however many years.

It honestly took me out of the game a little bit when NPCs like Beedle didn't recognize me, even if it's objectively only a minor thing. It just made the game world feel less real, especially since I'd just completed a preparatory Breath of the Wild playthrough.

It's particularly wei

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh yeah another rupee pro-tip for the nerds trying to pawn ruby rods: Go check out the new species that a half dozen stables point you towards. The beasties will eat zonaite ore at night and then if you rest a day or come back later I guess, they will have pooped out a ton of rubies/topaz/sapphire/diamonds/large zonaite. The trees in that area also spawn a ridiculous quantity of beetles in one place.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

That said, people seem to be bizarrely inconsistent about knowing who Link is, given that he's effectively married to the head of state, on top of being the world's biggest badass who is also universally agreed to be super hot.

No way they would assume Princess Zelda's hot brother is going to be her husband. and for that matter, do Links and Zeldas ever marry? I can see why folks would assume so but I've always assumed the opposite because they are better buds and coworkers, even in versions where they don't look like siblings.

Carlosologist posted:

Lizaflos definitely have the most useful parts for weapons. I found a couple of blue ones and those horns made for some awesome one handed swords

Question: about how many stamina rings do you need to tame the giant horse on Hateno Beach? I have nearly two full ones but that wasn’t enough

idk but you could also just cook some stamina food or use a malanya bed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Link should ditch Zelda for Ganon. Have you seen that guy lately?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
I'm hoping for a spoiler free answer to the following question but I don't know how to phrase this precisely so hopefully y'all be able to infer what I'm asking

I keep playing this game and finding things to do and I haven't been advancing the main story. Spoiler: progressed to first milestone - I did the first main quest, the Rito ship, and it unlocked that gust ability which made exploring much easier and it made me wish I'd completed this quest before exploring. It also opened the quest line to get the shrine sensor, again, very helpful and should have been accessed earlier.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there a best way to strike a balance between doing main quest stuff and safely ignoring it without impacting meandering exploration (I know you should play the game however you like but, as above, I want to make my exploration, I dunno, more efficient, I regret not having the Shine Sensor for the hours I've put into this game already)? Are there any other main quest destinations I shouldn't put off?

Minor spoiler asking about the length of the main game - is there further "main storyline" game after completing the dungeons corresponding to the 4 areas, like in Link to the Past where getting the 3 medallions gave you the master sword and opened up 8 additional dungeons, or do you complete 4 areas and then end boss like in BOTW?.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

They really play up the romantic angle in Skyward Sword but that's like the only game to do so that I recall.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm gonna imbue this vague fantasy tale with some drat romance. I already have a sibling, I don't have a magical princess, actually I'm single if you can believe it.

Mario and Peach did the platonic let's wait and see thing in Odyssey, I gotta keep this vague romance flame alive in Zelda.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
now Mario and Peach, they definitely be getting married and holding hands and all that

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That would be nice. I did like that cake Peach baked in the 90s.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think there should be any romance in this Zelda game but I do think they should gently caress, and here's the twist, and there is a twist.

We show it.

We show all of it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They really play up the romantic angle in Skyward Sword but that's like the only game to do so that I recall.
Yeah, they generally prefer to keep it vague. But BotW was the second-most explicitly romantic (Zelda’s diaries are pretty frank that she’s in love with Link), so it does seem to be trending upward.

Blaziken386 posted:

look all im saying is that its particularly egregious that the lady who cleans link and zelda's house doesnt know who he is. an NPC now and then going "oh hey link whats up" would be nice
I feel like the vast majority of NPCs have greeted me with a variation on “oh, it’s Link, hey Link, does that mean that Zelda’s around too since you two are always together?”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Really Zelda and Link's relationship varies a lot game to game. You have some like Twilight Princess or the Oracle games where they meet all of twice and are otherwise perfect strangers. You have a few (Spirit Tracks, LBW, Skyward Sword, Minish Cap, Four Swords) where they're best friends before the game with everything else falling somewhere between those two extremes.

The only games that really play up any sort of romantic tension are Skyward Sword and BotW, though at least some of that is because a majority of the other Zeldas and Links are like 8-12 years old. And even then Skyward Sword goes a lot heavier on 'they're literally a couple' while BotW mostly just heavily implies Zelda is really into Link through some of her diaries and memories. BotW also has Zelda go through a pretty standard 'I hate you-> actually really into you' arc.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Gerudo classes inspired me to make a meme

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Harriet Carker posted:

The shrine that started this discussion, Makasura Shrine in Kakariko. If it's possible without the glider, that's awesome (and I bet people have figured out how) but I quite a while getting within inches of clearing the gap, thinking I was just not setting things up quite correctly.

okay I re-did this shrine. No rocketshields or glider. I assume you got past the first catapult part and it's the longer jump you had trouble with.

I just glued together all the metal pieces in the middle into a long catapult with the two upright boys as the base set up near the edge of gap. stood in the catapult scoop and it flew me clear to the otherside, I hit the back wall. I'm pretty sure this was just the intended solution since it was all the pieces there. I wasted my rocket shields getting here and forgot to restock before I went in but also pretty sure they could get you across, especially if you made yourself a tower.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Ended up feeling a little down on the game because I got to the underground and it was a real loving slog to get through.

I find that there's just not all that much there, the low visibility makes points of interest really hard to spot to begin with and the game cycle there is very one dimensional, find light, walk around, find next light, walk around.

When I contrast it with the sky: here is a very cool little puzzle to get to the next island, or to the surface: here is this cool thing to do, or this other thing, or look over here another interesting and completely different thing! It just feels very barebones.

I think if I felt like I was ever in any danger underground it might have more impact, in that the oppressive atmosphere might mean something. But mainly I just found that I was very bored going through it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Natural 20 posted:

Ended up feeling a little down on the game because I got to the underground and it was a real loving slog to get through.

I find that there's just not all that much there, the low visibility makes points of interest really hard to spot to begin with and the game cycle there is very one dimensional, find light, walk around, find next light, walk around.

When I contrast it with the sky: here is a very cool little puzzle to get to the next island, or to the surface: here is this cool thing to do, or this other thing, or look over here another interesting and completely different thing! It just feels very barebones.

I think if I felt like I was ever in any danger underground it might have more impact, in that the oppressive atmosphere might mean something. But mainly I just found that I was very bored going through it.

you're very very wrong because the coolest poo poo is hidden in the depths:

materials to build with. oh and also the DLC armor, amibo armor, and the 120 shrine armor from the last game is just chilling in some chests to go nab

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the depths are intentionally designed to hide things things from you and be hard to navigate and that's gonna appeal to some people more than others.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the best way to explore the depths is to rack up a bunch of shrines and old maps from the Surface/Sky then do a big sweep. It lets you find the good POI much more easily and is generally more fun than wandering aimlessly.

Also get gloom resist armor ASAP. Even one piece makes exploring a lot easier and less annoying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rand Brittain posted:

I keep trying to come up with a simple summary of what's wrong with Addison's approach to carpentry and failing. I have to assume that he's some kind of Yiga Clan spy and that when I solve every sign puzzle in the game I will finally learn how this was all part of an elaborate plot to kill me.

I mean this makes a lot of sense considering one of their other plans is pretending to be a talking prophetic chicken and sending you on trials to wear you down before revealing their true nature and attacking you. They're a creative bunch!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The darkness disguises that it's pretty much another overworld in size, including the fact it has some swaths of boring rolling hills. They're mostly full of goop or goopgoblin camps. It'd have been nice to be given spots to build to traverse those. That's the only thing dragging it down though really, I enjoy the sense of mystery a lot and creating my own goal every time I go down there. Brilliant way to navigate the main world map as well, since it's directly below.

Zore posted:

Also the best way to explore the depths is to rack up a bunch of shrines and old maps from the Surface/Sky then do a big sweep. It lets you find the good POI much more easily and is generally more fun than wandering aimlessly.

Also get gloom resist armor ASAP. Even one piece makes exploring a lot easier and less annoying.

Amen! This is how I usually end my play sessions is to break all my stuff fighting, make a bunch of stickaxes, and go mining for zonaite and weird cool visuals in the depths.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

the depths are intentionally designed to hide things things from you and be hard to navigate and that's gonna appeal to some people more than others.

Yeah I get this. I'm just feeling really off because the game is just so perfect for me aside from this huge portion and having spent a few hours down there I just really don't want to go back which just doesn't feel great.

Like rewards in the sky have now become disappointing to me because I'll get a treasure map and just not want to go get it.

Also and this is an accessibility/me thing, the constant darkness is really really harsh on my eyes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah I'll agree that it doesn't look great on not-OLED screens, it was certainly made for color depth shenanigans. On my PC monitor (via hdmi) I can't play in a dim room because it goes bright-dark-bright-dark when I throw blooms.

edit: But the overworld, cold regions for example are fine.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 18, 2023

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It's only really dark if you're ignoring lightroots and don't have hundreds of brightbloom seeds. I got so many brightbloom seeds on the surface before I went into the depth that I will never ever run out. With those it's never really dark.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the super darkness because I'm constantly trying to make our shadow images on the distance and it's kinda neat when I finally get the right angle to see past whatever absurd wall was in my way around to the sees I'm suddenly very close. I could use more light seeds to just look where I'm going but it's really fun to fanglide into the void.

And lmao yeah they really wanted to make sure you never ran out of light seeds. Early on I used a ton and still always had hundreds and hundreds of them. I don't even know why I keep picking the little ones up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Those flashlight Zonai devices became completely obsolete when I realized I could just attach a giant lightbloom seed to my vehicle.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

X-O posted:

It's only really dark if you're ignoring lightroots and don't have hundreds of brightbloom seeds. I got so many brightbloom seeds on the surface before I went into the depth that I will never ever run out. With those it's never really dark.

I'm trying very very hard to find lightroots but I'm not having a great time with the choice between having to go through the throw menu on R at quite a disruptive rate to toss another brightbloom or having to strain my eyes to see even the vaguest things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I decided for the first time to try and go for the ending today. I've unlocked all the memories, have 29 hearts, a full stamina wheel, tons of great weapons/bows/shields/meals and all five sages.

Game said gently caress that you still aren't ready. It was a relentless onslaught and the only lesson I learned was to go back and get better prepared. Not going back until I have all the hearts and many more items/meals.

I don't know if it's the time off from BotW or not, but holy hell this game has a lot tougher enemies it seems. And the better you get the better they get too.