Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
For a while in SWG I was a Master Musician and BH/pistoleer just because loving around in cantinas then hunting things with a scatter pistol was fun. Wasn't optimal or one of the OP builds but it was certainly memorable. I remember going on a hunt with some rangers on Lok and playing songs for them around the campfire as the sun went down. Never had moments like that in a theme park mmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
It's worth remembering that the SWG that got shut down was the post-NGE version of the game, a significant revamp which the community largely considered to have irreparably ruined the game. Usually when you hear people wax nostalgic about SWG, it was the pre-NGE version of the game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Someone will eventually make a SWG style MMO with Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon type mechanics and make a zillion dollars

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the most vibrant and lively places I've seen in FFXIV were player housing dance venues, they always have a fun anachronistic tone from the mix of people in modern casual wear and full plate, sometimes both at once

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Let us not forget the weird real life ERP sex bill board of FFXIV

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cool Dad posted:

Someone will eventually make a SWG style MMO with Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon type mechanics and make a zillion dollars

They tried with Archeage and it just turned the game into a capitalist hellscape of haves and have-nots depending on if you were able to get a private plot of land.

You could instance a farm for everyone but at that point it just becomes Stardew Valley with a market board for selling crops.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cutedge posted:

SOE desperately tried to get Lucasarts to let them keep running SWG. They delayed the announcement of the sunset at the last minute to make one last plea but LA just wasn't interested. SWG was pretty dead at that point, but it only takes 67 thousand subscribers to make a million dollars a month when they are paying $14.99 apiece.

While SWG was never the game it really could have been, I still reject SOE/LA's premise that "no one wants to be uncle owen" and if they made a SWG style LOTR game, I'm sure you'd have a poo poo ton of people who would want to be hobbit weed farmers.

I would play a hobbit farmer.

I'm still hopeful about Palia which only offers farming and no hobbits.

CuddleCryptid posted:

You could instance a farm for everyone but at that point it just becomes Stardew Valley with a market board for selling crops.
Yes please. A huge part of SVs success was that it had multiplayer.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stardew Valley / UO / Archeage hybrid

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Third World Reagan posted:

Let us not forget the weird real life ERP sex bill board of FFXIV

Haha yeah lol gross which one tho

Which one

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

jokes posted:

Haha yeah lol gross which one tho

Which one

There was only one ERP club bill board, but you can't swing a moogle on Balmung or Mateus without hitting someone who's down to bone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

It's worth remembering that the SWG that got shut down was the post-NGE version of the game, a significant revamp which the community largely considered to have irreparably ruined the game. Usually when you hear people wax nostalgic about SWG, it was the pre-NGE version of the game.

I watched some video awhile back about the history of SWG and I was surprised how short the game's "golden age" was.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I watched some video awhile back about the history of SWG and I was surprised how short the game's "golden age" was.

It had the misfortune of being released barely a year before WoW completely obliterated the MMO market and even then it released with unfinished features. Unfortunately once WoW blew up instead of improving their own systems they decided that hotbars were the way and then everything went berserk. That and LucasArts' unwillingness to let them be flexible with the setting and mechanics in ways that would benefit the game, making the Jedi stuff a total clusterfuck.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I do think the only way it could've been handled was to not let players be it, which is still a lovely situation since a large portion of star wars fans want their lightsaber and they want to be overpowered compared to all the stupid stormtroopers. IT's such a hard setting to do in that style of mmo. Lucas Arts demanding they make Jedi playable was absolutely one of the worst parts of it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I hope they make a new Star Wars MMO where anyone can be a jedi, but you can only become one by passing a very difficult skill-based minigame.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They're going to make a star wars MMO but you can only be a jedi if you pay $20/mo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Eimi posted:

I do think the only way it could've been handled was to not let players be it, which is still a lovely situation since a large portion of star wars fans want their lightsaber and they want to be overpowered compared to all the stupid stormtroopers. IT's such a hard setting to do in that style of mmo. Lucas Arts demanding they make Jedi playable was absolutely one of the worst parts of it.

I will go to the mat over the idea that the best star wars media has no jedi in it so take this as the biased opinion that it is but there really is nothing wrong with an mmo that exclusively focuses on the 99.9999% of the galaxy that isn't a jedi, or a mandalorian, or any of the other OP groups. *Especially* in a player run economy.

There's a ton of universe to be found outside the jedi if you read the extended universe materials, but I get your point that most people want the whoosh whoosh lightsaber "love is evil because it can lead to hate shut the gently caress up you bipedal frog" jedi stuff.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The problem with a mainstream property is that the huge audience you get with it only engages with the property on a very surface level. They don't give a poo poo about all the extended universe crap or the intricate corners of the lore. They want to be a Jedi or a ringbearer or a Griffindor (or Ravenclaw) at Hogwarts or whatever the hot poo poo is in the mainstream media for that property. There will be people who want to be a random droid mechanic or whatever, but not in the kind of numbers you're looking to attract with a huge license.

If we ever get another SWG-type game I'd expect it to be a new or minor IP and fairly budget.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

CuddleCryptid posted:

I will go to the mat over the idea that the best star wars media has no jedi in it so take this as the biased opinion that it is but there really is nothing wrong with an mmo that exclusively focuses on the 99.9999% of the galaxy that isn't a jedi, or a mandalorian, or any of the other OP groups. *Especially* in a player run economy.

There's a ton of universe to be found outside the jedi if you read the extended universe materials, but I get your point that most people want the whoosh whoosh lightsaber "love is evil because it can lead to hate shut the gently caress up you bipedal frog" jedi stuff.

Yep. Andor is the best Star Wars thing they have done in a while, and that has no Jedi in it.

SWG was way better in the early days when only a small number of Jedi existed. I still prefer the no jedi option though...

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phigs posted:

If we ever get another SWG-type game I'd expect it to be a new or minor IP and fairly budget.

Imo you just won't get anything like it again. Player run economies sound great until the economy crashes, as New World discovered over and over again. I've played several smaller mmos that try to do the same thing SWG did over the years and they just really can't get it to work because it lacks a core for everyone to gather around, like the star wars brand gave SWG.

EVE is probably the closest you're going to get and that really doesn't allow for specialization outside of the broad "classes" of players like "miner" or "explorer".

I also think that there aren't many devs out there that would have the stones to build a game where a completely non-combat role can be your entire existence.

E. Thinking about it again, the closest you will probably find to SWG nowadays is good old Runescape.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 17, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Admittedly I've never played SWG but it seems that this is a really nice summary of how it went down.

How Jedi Killed Star Wars Galaxies

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

jokes posted:

They're going to make a star wars MMO but you can only be a jedi if you pay $20/mo

I can see it now: World of Star Warscraft, the new free-to-play Star Wars MMO from EA Games! Play as your favorite characters* from the Star Wars universe!

* GNK Power Droid class available to free-to-play players, other classes available with the purchase of monthly EA Battlepass

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

kedo posted:

I can see it now: World of Star Warscraft, the new free-to-play Star Wars MMO from EA Games! Play as your favorite characters* from the Star Wars universe!

* GNK Power Droid class available to free-to-play players, other classes available with the purchase of monthly EA Battlepass

Tie the jedi to completing the battle pass, but only show the rewards of 20 levels at a time. After a year of grinding the poopsockers finally realize that the battlepass has an infinite number of levels.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mr. Neutron posted:

Admittedly I've never played SWG but it seems that this is a really nice summary of how it went down.

How Jedi Killed Star Wars Galaxies

can confirm this is a good video

There are a bunch of really good SWG post-mortem blog posts by creative director Raph Koster, here's the Jedi one: https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only good thing to come out of SWG Jedi was all the speculation on the forums on how to unlock it. If I recall there were some wild theories before the holocrons were discovered.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want original classic Star Wars Galaxies, on a modern next-gen graphics engine, and no Jedi.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

It had the misfortune of being released barely a year before WoW completely obliterated the MMO market and even then it released with unfinished features. Unfortunately once WoW blew up instead of improving their own systems they decided that hotbars were the way and then everything went berserk. That and LucasArts' unwillingness to let them be flexible with the setting and mechanics in ways that would benefit the game, making the Jedi stuff a total clusterfuck.

I had always assumed that the cool-sounding broken rear end game had lasted until the NGE but it was like six months until the Combat Upgrade.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I just want original classic Star Wars Galaxies, on a modern next-gen graphics engine, and no Jedi.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Revisiting a thought I had long ago about SWG Jedi and while, as best I remember how it worked, the time+lottery thing was okay, we know anymore that the best thing they could have done with Jedi is just have them be Devs and Community Managers with some gameplay/roleplay freedom.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's funny how the jedi are the worst part of almost every starwar

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

That's sith talk

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that's bullshit, sith are just dark jedi

no war but class war etc

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Truga posted:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Cardboard Fox posted:

Yep. Andor is the best Star Wars thing they have done in a while, and that has no Jedi in it.

SWG was way better in the early days when only a small number of Jedi existed. I still prefer the no jedi option though...

Rogue One and Andor are the best Starwars they ever made and they have no Jedi in them

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

even Kyle Katarn was more fun as a gunslinging merc with an axe to grind against the empire

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm playing through jedi knight 2 in vr and it's so good

lightsabers actually work great in that lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

I had always assumed that the cool-sounding broken rear end game had lasted until the NGE but it was like six months until the Combat Upgrade.

:same: the way it is mythologized I thought it was several years before it changed but after reading into the history I was shocked how quickly everything went to poo poo. Playing that game must have been a trip, since who knows what's even good anymore when the fundamental systems change every other week.

That being said, it makes issues like "one armor type was clearly better than everything else all the time" less egregious in hindsight because it turns out it was an issue for like two months before they completely changed things anyways.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i want a cyberpunk-themed mmo where i can run a noodle cart where players eat my noodles in the rain while on the hunt for renegade androids

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

i want a cyberpunk-themed mmo where i can run a noodle cart where players eat my noodles in the rain while on the hunt for renegade androids

gimme four... and noodles!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

i'll grind out some neon signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

blatman posted:

My guild specializes in protection services. For a small fee, we'll make sure no one on the server messes with your noodle stand.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 18, 2023