Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I still have no idea how to know if I'm playing a bot. I've seen all the articles about identifying impossible upgrades, or their weird playstyles, and it's all over my head. How people are able to successfully strategize winning more cubes from them is a complete mystery to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

New Leaf posted:

I'm not convinced bots exist in the way you guys describe. I sure as hell never play against anyone gunning to lose.
You've never had an opponent with a kirby krackle nakia play angela last turn 6?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

New Leaf posted:

I'm not convinced bots exist in the way you guys describe. I sure as hell never play against anyone gunning to lose.

Bots are easy to identify - if you see a card with a split that humans can't get, it's a bot.

The devs have specifically talked about the cheating bots, I'm trying to find the quote. Because the developers mostly communicate through the hell service that is Discord, none of this stuff is easy to search for online.

Here's one article with details:

https://marvelsnapzone.com/bots-in-marvel-snap-a-comprehensive-guide/

The LSTM (long short-term memory) bots are specifically the ones that cheat.

Hobo Clown posted:

I still have no idea how to know if I'm playing a bot. I've seen all the articles about identifying impossible upgrades, or their weird playstyles, and it's all over my head. How people are able to successfully strategize winning more cubes from them is a complete mystery to me.

The easiest way to recognize a bot split is a visual effect with no background change. When you split a card in Marvel Snap, humans always get a background effect (two types of rainbow backgrounds, gold background, or B&W background). After your first split of a character (this is per character and not specific card, which matters for variant) you get a background effect and particle effect.

If you tap on a card, at the top it shows the current visual effects on it. If you tap on an opponents card and it has a particle effect but no background, then 100% of the time that's a bot.

Card with a gold background or in black and white with no particle effect are probably bots, but I think some beta players could get those splits?

edit: Here's an example. Cosmo and Sentinel here are bot splits.

Sentinel has the star effect but the regular background. Cosmo has kirby sparkles and the regular background. Players can't get particle effects like that.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 17, 2023

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Do bots pickup your local language setting? I switched my game to Spanish to practice and I could swear I'm playing bots with Spanish names now. Could just be recency bias or whatever it's called

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Unless I'm getting all the "play to annihilate" bots I still think you're all full of poo poo.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I just don't understand who's sitting around looking at impossible splits. Like, how easy are those to detect?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

New Leaf posted:

Unless I'm getting all the "play to annihilate" bots I still think you're all full of poo poo.

You can literally force quit mid game and come back to the app 15 minutes later and it will let you continue your turn against bots.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

I just don't understand who's sitting around looking at impossible splits. Like, how easy are those to detect?

Instantly, with no effort? You see the visual effects, the sparkles, and notice the card has no background effect like a rainbow or gold.

Domino here is a legal split, Cosmo isn't. I don't know how that's difficult to quickly identify?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Chainclaw posted:

Instantly, with no effort? You see the visual effects, the sparkles, and notice the card has no background effect like a rainbow or gold.

Domino here is a legal split, Cosmo isn't. I don't know how that's difficult to quickly identify?

I couldn't tell you anything about splits beyond the black and white or the gold. I don't think I've ever noticed any border effects in game

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
It doesn't change much if you figure out your playing against a bot or not except for predicting the snap behavior

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Keep in mind that bots are there to fill in mmr/cl combos that make it unlikely to match up against a human. Unless you're a streamer or play a similar amount, you'll only ever run into humans if i understand it correctly.

Also i don't understand enough about the economy of the game to have an educated opinion on the number matters but compared to other f2p phone/casual games, game is downright GENEROUS. I've been playing for a few months f2p except for that 3 dollar bundle and I'm CL 2800 now and have lots of decks that win and good cards and several decks I'm just one t3 or 4 card away from having a best version of x deck. Just got Galactus cause i was hoping knull would drop and he didnt but oh fuckin well got plenty of cards that'll win that lane differently and I'll just lock him him in next time he rolls around. The solution to getting everything you want is patience and this game has a real high drip compared to other gachas.

Milano has tipped the location amount fuckery to a degree I'm starting to consider iron fist as a tech card.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It doesn't change much if you figure out your playing against a bot or not except for predicting the snap behavior

Bots are terrible at playing around locations, even the cheating ones will struggle with spicy locations, if you have a deck that can exploit that.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Youve all definitely have seen a bot play like the first 3 turns in the left lane ignoring whatever effect is there. Can also drat near guarantee if theyre playing Blade or Nakia it's a bot as well.

Bots also snap as soon as turn 4 ends if theyre up in two lanes, and plays immediately after you end your turn

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!

New Leaf posted:

Loser bots are 100% real. You can test this in infinite by losing 5-10 games (not sure if cube loss matters more or game loss).

At some point you will absolutely see a bot show up who is playing to lose to you, if you lose to that bot another one will show up. My record last season after they fixed MMR tanking was losing 6 times in a row to the loser bots, which is really hard btw, to see if the game would ever pair me with a person instead.

It never did and I believe the game will never pair you with a human if you haven't beat the bot they sent to loose to you. The game will just keep pairing you with looser bots.

In fact I have a trick that worked well last season reset, I lost until I hit looser bot then retreated and waited for the reset. My first game of the season was against a loosing bot.

Here are some other insights:
Losing bots snap the same as other bots, which is to say it wants to loose but wont just donate 8 cubes, you still need to be behind in the game to get a good snap out come.
Losing bots are the same as winning bots, they aren't playing any different they just calculate how to have the least power instead of the most power. They still see your plays and know all the rng outcomes.
You will get paired against people again as soon as you beat a bot trying to loose to you. The game isn't trying to balance your cubes for you, if you lost 30 cubes and see a Losing bot it will lose to you then the game resets your "loser bot count".

GarudaPrime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 17, 2023

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Hobo Clown posted:

Beyond the cosmetics, some possible playstyle clues:

* They play a move deck, but put all their cards in the left location. (This happens with other decks too, but because it's especially stupid with move decks it really stands out.)
* When you click 'end turn', they always end their turn exactly 3 seconds (or something) after you.
* They instantly snap on turn 4 or 5 when they are winning 2 lanes. (Even when it's quite obvious they're actually going to lose.)

Especially in the last case, when you're playing a deck that dumps a ton of power on turn 6 and it's almost certain they won't be able to stop you, you can easily countersnap and win 8 cubes.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've also seen the loser bot play a destroy deck, load up the left lane with Wolvy, Bucky, Deadpool, Nova, then play Carnage in the empty middle lane

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bottom Liner posted:

Hot locations are exploitable if you build around them because a lot of players don't and bots especially will never win there.

Most infinite players make ~50% of their cube gain from bot games despite bots making up less than 15% of games for them.

A lot of players just aren't paying attention in general.

I'm amazed how many people punch themselves in the dick by willingly moving to Kingpin's location on turn 6.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm honestly struggling to even wanting to play right now. I literally opened Dazzler days before she dropped in series and I'm pool 3 complete. I have at least a dozen reserves before I get another pool 4 card, and of those I only have a 50 percent chance of pulling a card I even want. It doesn't help that I hate hot locations so I'm not even touching the game today.

It's kind of funny. I've been spending gold like crazy to upgrade my cards to be pool 3 complete, and now I don't even want to continue grinding in the hope that I get something fun.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Bots tend to show up after you lose 4-8 cubers to make you feel better. I love them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ooh, just got Darkhawk from the CL. Pretty early too, position 8 of 40. Thanks Ben Brode.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I still think bots are fictional because I've slipped from 63 to 58 today and no magical cube fairies with weird card backgrounds have shown up to help me.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Meta has been the best it's been since I started in the silver surfer season and I've been having a ton of fun playing cards that have been sitting in my collection unused and being able to pick up that key meta S3 card you are missing for free each season is awesome

I guess I got lucky getting Sera super early after hitting CL500 which allowed me to enjoy a deck while I grinded up other cards

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
At lower CL, a series 2 ongoing deck goes a long, long way. Fairly easy to add to / experiment with as you get more cards too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lol this game rules

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The new cube system is really, really weird. I was struggling around 81 before the system changed, and now I'm bouncing between 80 and 83! I don't think it's really making a difference in my cube acquisition at all but the extra swinginess is both exhilarating and frustrating.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
do bots all have generic names like matthew or are there ones with weird typo names as well

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This, as far as I know, is the canonical list of possible bot names. If you see a bot with a name that's on here, or made up of affixes from here, it's extremely likely a bot.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
Lol turn 1 camp Lehigh gave me wave and agent 13 gave me Galactus. I did the deed and even won!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was really disappointed with the wave change killing my deathwave deck, but I’ve been messing around with different destroy decks and just got up to the 60s with a destroy deck that leverages Beast to get extra low value targets. Beast + Bast works pretty well in destroy, other than Death everything is base 3 or lower anyway. It even buffs Knull.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I've run into more bots now that I've played more. The biggest tell is having any fancy splits - inks, golds, big dot particles fx. Once you see one of those, pay attention and they'll play something with a particle effect and no foil/gold/ink and that has to be a bot (Is ink/gold with no particles effect possible for a human?).
I mostly notice them playing move & discard and playing it extra bad. As long as you don't brick completely it's a free snap - they often snap too - but they usually (but not always) concede turn 6 (right as you hit the end turn button)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The state of the game is kind of killing my drive right now. Not sure how much longer I'll play. I've been losing a lot lately, was well into the 60s and fell to around 57. Just getting frustrated with how bullshit some losses are. Hate the Galactus meta. Hate that I missed Darkhawk and keep losing to him. I've tried so many decks and nothing is paying off with these idiotic limited locations they keep putting out. And the whole time I still idly play while I'm watching TV or working and don't know what else would grip me like this dumb game.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

New Leaf posted:

The state of the game is kind of killing my drive right now. Not sure how much longer I'll play. I've been losing a lot lately, was well into the 60s and fell to around 57. Just getting frustrated with how bullshit some losses are. Hate the Galactus meta. Hate that I missed Darkhawk and keep losing to him. I've tried so many decks and nothing is paying off with these idiotic limited locations they keep putting out. And the whole time I still idly play while I'm watching TV or working and don't know what else would grip me like this dumb game.

For a while I added Debrii to a bunch of my decks, just as Galactus hate.

(Then I got Galactus right before Peak hot day, not even a little sorry.)

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for teaching how to spot a bot. Managed to 8 cube one!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Whipped together a Sera Control bounce variant and, okay, Kitty Pryde is fun and strong as gently caress. Working with this list so far:

quote:

# (1) Kitty Pryde
# (1) Quinjet
# (2) Angela
# (2) Forge
# (2) Beast
# (2) Okoye
# (2) The Collector
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (3) Bishop
# (3) Agent Coulson
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (5) Sera
#
eyJDYXJkcyI6W3siQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiS2l0dHlQcnlkZSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiT2tveWUifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlF1aW5qZXQifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IlNjYXJsZXRXaXRjaCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQmVhc3QifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkJpc2hvcCJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiRm9yZ2UifSx7IkNhcmREZWZJZCI6IkFuZ2VsYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiU2VyYSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiVGhlQ29sbGVjdG9yIn0seyJDYXJkRGVmSWQiOiJTaGFuZ0NoaSJ9LHsiQ2FyZERlZklkIjoiQWdlbnRDb3Vsc29uIn1dfQ==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and paste it from the deck editing menu in Snap.

Sera might even be cuttable, I haven't been able to really play her much since playing Kitty all six turns is very important, but I guess she's an alternate wincon if I don't get Kitty by 5. I wonder how viable an all-homosexuals deck would be.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Youremother posted:

This, as far as I know, is the canonical list of possible bot names. If you see a bot with a name that's on here, or made up of affixes from here, it's extremely likely a bot.

Well, according to this, I'm a bot.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Take advantage of that, you could probably win some spare cubes by playing an explosive turn 6 deck and acting like a moron until the drop

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Youremother posted:

Take advantage of that, you could probably win some spare cubes by playing an explosive turn 6 deck and acting like a moron until the drop

That's the weird thing, I still run the Kingpin/Magneto deck, and it seems to completely surprise a lot of people on turn 6. Then again, no one else seems to use KP.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know what the game could really use are REAL big bads, like ones that are very powerful but rare and only available from X Mansion, District X etc. Like how Galactus used to be.
Those zones just aren't as fun when you're S3 complete and have a bunch of S4 and S5 already

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The living tribunal is pretty much two steps down from the most powerful cosmic being, at least as I know. I'm not sure who else would work there besides Eternity and Infinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Pixeltendo posted:

The living tribunal is pretty much two steps down from the most powerful cosmic being, at least as I know. I'm not sure who else would work there besides Eternity and Infinity.

Protege, Molecule Man, Beyonder