Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Everything will be ok! The Covid emergency is over so there are 15m voters really excited to have been kicked off Medicaid. Add the student loan holders to that total too! Trump is possibly calling it correct that he needs to excite more voters than he loses with the abortion stuff and he will net a win in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Name Change posted:

Hello, I'm the politician who won California, Illinois, Texas, and Florida, ushered in the one-party federal government, and won a culture victory on turn 200. AMA

Should I put my research points into the Weather Paradigm or the Command Nexus?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
First time I’ve seen “somebody who gets more than half the votes could win” as an argument against the electoral college

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

To be charitable, winning those states don't mean you have >50% of the popular vote, the pathological case would be winning like 25% of the popular vote if you win those states with ~50% margin and get 0% everywhere else. That still would never happen though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

First time I’ve seen “somebody who gets more than half the votes could win” as an argument against the electoral college

You don't need to get a vote from every single person in those states to win, just 50%+1 of the slightly over 50% of the population they represent, which is about 27% of the total population

If you go the other way, collecting low-EV states, you only need about 23% of the population

https://www.npr.org/2016/11/02/500112248/how-to-win-the-presidency-with-27-percent-of-the-popular-vote

Of course all of this is academic so long as real turnout remains pathetically low (also because, as said, it's a very unrealistic political alignment)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Ethiser posted:

What’s your opening move?

You gotta get two production on your city center, plains hills are usually what to look for. If you can settle on a tile that produces gold that's...literal money. Moving a couple spaces before settling is fine if it means getting a good tile.

Always build a scout first, you want them goody huts and need to know where the barbarian camps are so you can stave off their scouts finding your city and reporting back.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Should I put my research points into the Weather Paradigm or the Command Nexus?

weather paradigm if you aren't planning a conquest victory, command center if you are

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

koolkal posted:

Yes, I would assume the winner of an election would win more states than the loser of one?

WI was +20000 Biden, AZ was +11000 Biden, GA was +22000 Biden. If all 3 of those had swung to Trump, Trump would have won the election. 2020 was a closer election and more of an outlier by pretty much every metric besides lovely pre-election polling.

Calling Trump's 2016 win an outlier and "black swan" is bizarre and doesn't match up with any reality beyond "vibes."

I'd still consider it an outlier for no other reason than when was the last time the US elected a President who had no prior political experience - even state or local?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'd still consider it an outlier for no other reason than when was the last time the US elected a President who had no prior political experience - even state or local?

Grant?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I think Ike.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I would consider General of the Army of the United States political experience.

Honestly Grant needs way more love I feel like Grant is an honest real answer to what we can be as Americans.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Nothing, excellent, drunk, average, broke, selfless, unyielding, brilliant, loyal to a fault, and trusting until self ruin.

gently caress the lost cause Grant was the most well known American world wide for a generation for a reason.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Grant was an alright dude. He was extremely good at being a soldier, and smart enough to reason that's a lovely thing to be good at.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

gently caress the lost cause Grant was the most well known American world wide for a generation for a reason.

Because he went on a world tour after his presidency ended?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Because he went on a world tour after his presidency ended?

Think about the context of the civil war. The failed revolutions of 1848 happened before it In Europe. A lot of those folks move to America and then fought in the civil war. Reconstruction as a project lasted the eight years of his presidency, basically only by his will that it continue (the American public turned deeply against it early).

He won the war. He was the first to crush the KKK. He spent eight years fighting for the ideals of the time in a real way against the public’s opinions. He was the most famous American before the post presidency tour.

gently caress the lost causers. Broke selling firewood to feed his children Grant freed the slave gifted to him by his in-laws over their objections. Monetarily that’s like being broke in poverty and giving away a house at the time. That single thing makes him better than any of the founding fathers (excepting Adams).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

weather paradigm if you aren't planning a conquest victory, command center if you are

Way back in the day D&D had a PBEM game of SMAC going.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

Way back in the day D&D had a PBEM game of SMAC going.

The YOSPOS one is still going after like 3, 4 years?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KatieJ_Bernard/status/1658891807252512773

Folks when it comes to spearheading a hateful and futile political campaign or fixing your plane, fix your plane.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

gently caress the lost causers.

And gently caress sideways Jubal Early in particular as he was the prime and prolific author of early (hah) Lost Cause material, in particular that Grant was a bumbling drunk who only won by drowning the Confederacy in Yankee blood. Real motherfucker, that Early.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I always thought it was cool that the general who won the civil war and became president was named "U.S." Grant it's like something out of a book

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

pencilhands posted:

I always thought it was cool that the general who won the civil war and became president was named "U.S." Grant it's like something out of a book

Nerding out for a moment, he wasn't. His actual first name was Hiram, which he hated. His full name was Hiram Ulysses Grant, so in his youth he got the nickname of "hug." Upon being admitted to West Point he decided to use his middle name as his first as "Uhg" could hardly be worse, but the admitting officer didn't bother asking him and just assumed he used his mother's maiden named as his middle ("Simpson"), which is a long and round-about way of explaining how became U.S. Grant.

His classmates at West Point called him Sam, or Uncle Sam, affectionately. This included his best man and eventual enemy then friend again James P. Longstreet, one of maybe two repentant ex-Confederates.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It can also stand for another thing he was really good at, demanding the unconditional surrender of traitor armies.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nerding out for a moment, he wasn't. His actual first name was Hiram, which he hated. His full name was Hiram Ulysses Grant, so in his youth he got the nickname of "hug." Upon being admitted to West Point he decided to use his middle name as his first as "Uhg" could hardly be worse, but the admitting officer didn't bother asking him and just assumed he used his mother's maiden named as his middle ("Simpson"), which is a long and round-about way of explaining how became U.S. Grant.

His classmates at West Point called him Sam, or Uncle Sam, affectionately. This included his best man and eventual enemy then friend again James P. Longstreet, one of maybe two repentant ex-Confederates.

Interesting thank you

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Folks when it comes to spearheading a hateful and futile political campaign or fixing your plane, fix your plane.
Folks when it comes to spearheading a hateful and futile political campaign or fixing your plane, do up your house

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Name Change posted:

Hello, I'm the politician who won California, Illinois, Texas, and Florida, ushered in the one-party federal government, and won a culture victory on turn 200. AMA

Ronald Reagan is dead though.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zamujasa posted:

You'd think this, but it is entirely possible in our system that one party wins only 11 states and takes the election:

California
Texas
Florida
New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Georgia,
North Carolina
Michigan
New Jersey (or, really, any state with 4+ EVs)

This will give you over 270 EVs.

Note that this is possible, not at all likely. It just shows how hosed up and stupid the electoral college is.

If they won these particular eleven states it wouldn't be that much of a travesty, the number of states is misleading as California has about a billion Wyomings worth of population etc.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Willa Rogers posted:

He bulldozed her, correct. But, given the transcript, what do you think she could have done differently? Or what do you think a non-"fail" moderator could have done differently?

A little late to this, but in truth trump is a terrible debater. He constantly veers off into non-sequiturs and waddles face first into easily refuted poo poo at any opportunity. It's weird that the news finds itself incapable of standing up to him at all when he's about as sturdy as water balloon (both rhetorically and in actuality) -- and it wasn't always the case. Back when he was candidate trump in 2015, the news personalities used to dunk on him all the time. And, in what will probably be the only positive thing I ever say about her in my life, Megyn Kelly put him to task extremely effectively and painted him as the pathetic loser he actually is.

And then she got excoriated for it. So I think you're probably right, but not because he's unbeatable as a bulldozer or anything, it's because the system we have in place for journalism is incapable of taking on anyone with any kind of power or following because they're a captured industry. They rely entirely on public opinion and corporate money to exist, and the truth is more or less irrelevant to their operations. The carceral system is more or less the same -- what they exist to do isn't what they're purported to do.

Sorry for quoting you specifically. I just thought the point you're making is a good jumping off point to the one I wanted to make. :v: From my perspective, the only interview that can reasonably published by an entity that doesn't exclusively cater to anti-corporate interests as an audience would include a "fail" moderator. To challenge trump and treat him like the parasite he actually is is to alienate people who make you a lot of money, and CNN can't let something like quality journalism get in the way of that.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ershalim posted:

A little late to this, but in truth trump is a terrible debater. He constantly veers off into non-sequiturs and waddles face first into easily refuted poo poo at any opportunity. It's weird that the news finds itself incapable of standing up to him at all when he's about as sturdy as water balloon (both rhetorically and in actuality) -- and it wasn't always the case. Back when he was candidate trump in 2015, the news personalities used to dunk on him all the time. And, in what will probably be the only positive thing I ever say about her in my life, Megyn Kelly put him to task extremely effectively and painted him as the pathetic loser he actually is.

And then she got excoriated for it. So I think you're probably right, but not because he's unbeatable as a bulldozer or anything, it's because the system we have in place for journalism is incapable of taking on anyone with any kind of power or following because they're a captured industry. They rely entirely on public opinion and corporate money to exist, and the truth is more or less irrelevant to their operations. The carceral system is more or less the same -- what they exist to do isn't what they're purported to do.

Sorry for quoting you specifically. I just thought the point you're making is a good jumping off point to the one I wanted to make. :v: From my perspective, the only interview that can reasonably published by an entity that doesn't exclusively cater to anti-corporate interests as an audience would include a "fail" moderator. To challenge trump and treat him like the parasite he actually is is to alienate people who make you a lot of money, and CNN can't let something like quality journalism get in the way of that.

Might want to go rewatch that clip, or maybe you're thinking of a different one?

Kelly didn't put him to task, he did the same thing he always did, name call, mock, go on offense, and refuse to have shame or be wrong.

It's not that he's a good debater, it's he literally doesn't debate. For a debate you need two people to agree to debate, but Trump just talks his word salad and anger.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Will we even have debates for 2024? If DeSantis somehow wins the nomination, I can see him agreeing to it - but I can't see Trump and Biden on stage together again.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
A lot of politically active Republicans can be owned in interviews in a way that matters, because Ted Cruz is pretending to be a moron to appeal to people he hates and those people don't like that Ted Cruz thinks they're morons. It's hard to pull it off intentionally because Ted Cruz can spin it as "voters, this guy thinks you're morons" but not impossible. It just doesn't work on Trump because he isn't pretending.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 18, 2023

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Jaxyon posted:

Might want to go rewatch that clip, or maybe you're thinking of a different one?

Kelly didn't put him to task, he did the same thing he always did, name call, mock, go on offense, and refuse to have shame or be wrong.

It's not that he's a good debater, it's he literally doesn't debate. For a debate you need two people to agree to debate, but Trump just talks his word salad and anger.

I wasn't thinking of a clip, and admittedly it's been a really long time. But I remember her correcting him during the debate on ... something? I don't even remember what it was. it's possible that I'm just misremembering based off of how much of a clown show the whole thing was, and that one moment of someone, anyone not licking his rear end on stage stood out much more than it normally would have. I think it had something to do with her going after him about trump university?

A cursory search is just her correctly calling him a misogynist, so you might be right. That doesn't seem very effective. I just remember feeling like "oh poo poo, she has receipts on something and is calling him out" about her for like a minute.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Will we even have debates for 2024? If DeSantis somehow wins the nomination, I can see him agreeing to it - but I can't see Trump and Biden on stage together again.

I'm pretty sure trump pre-emptively said he wasn't going to go to any. Which is probably best case scenario for both of our great grand presidents, tbh.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The problem isn't that you can't own Trump on TV. It's that you can't own him within the bounds of acceptable political discourse for debates/interviews. You have to be willing to ignore his childish petulance and then continue when he storms off or starts calling you names. Just keep hammering at the topic he is currently Trump Galloping until he throws a fit, and then ask how an 80 year old can't keep himself from behaving like a toddler.

Of course you then have to deal with no other politician wanting to let you interview them, because you're the only reporter that won't let them ignore the question. Also you're going to have death threats to you and everyone close to you.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ershalim posted:

I wasn't thinking of a clip, and admittedly it's been a really long time. But I remember her correcting him during the debate on ... something? I don't even remember what it was. it's possible that I'm just misremembering based off of how much of a clown show the whole thing was, and that one moment of someone, anyone not licking his rear end on stage stood out much more than it normally would have. I think it had something to do with her going after him about trump university?

The entire Megyn/Trump feud was the fact that a woman, and a conservative woman, showed him any sort of backbone. He hates when women make him squirm.

That's all it was. You've bought into Trumps framing that she was somehow unfair or unusually tough on him, which she wasn't but he's a gigantic fragile baby who hates women and wouldn't shut up about her.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
It really illustrates trump's tactic. Just repeat a lie over and over forever and never back down ever.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Jaxyon posted:

The entire Megyn/Trump feud was the fact that a woman, and a conservative woman, showed him any sort of backbone. He hates when women make him squirm.

That's all it was. You've bought into Trumps framing that she was somehow unfair or unusually tough on him, which she wasn't but he's a gigantic fragile baby who hates women and wouldn't shut up about her.

I don't think that it was that. I mean, he did certainly whine about it like a petulant little bitch, and I definitely remember the outcry against her for it. But like, I mean like here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/02/05/gop-debate-donald-trump-megyn-kelly-trump-university-lawsuits-orig-vstan-10.fox-news it's not a lot, but it's more than what everyone else at the time was willing to do. While he was getting high fives and phone drives from other people he insulted, she did a journalism at him and it was good.

No praise for her for anything else she's ever done -- but in this one instance and I believe a couple others during the first debates before she was called to stand down by Fox Corporate, she was the only person I remember at the time who didn't either playfully gloss over the terrible poo poo he was saying and had done or gleefully join in on his antics for ratings. Ratings are why she stopped fairly quickly, imo, which was more my point. trump's not a very effective showman when you directly contradict him with reality, but somehow even if you do that the audience still goes to bat for him because then all of a sudden he's some kind of lovable victim.

Gyges posted:

The problem isn't that you can't own Trump on TV. It's that you can't own him within the bounds of acceptable political discourse for debates/interviews. You have to be willing to ignore his childish petulance and then continue when he storms off or starts calling you names. Just keep hammering at the topic he is currently Trump Galloping until he throws a fit, and then ask how an 80 year old can't keep himself from behaving like a toddler.

Of course you then have to deal with no other politician wanting to let you interview them, because you're the only reporter that won't let them ignore the question. Also you're going to have death threats to you and everyone close to you.

This is more what I meant to get at. I just don't phrase things as eloquently or concisely. Megyn Kelly did that for a minute until she wasn't allowed to any more. And that's basically been what journalism is for a long time now.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Ershalim posted:

I don't think that it was that. I mean, he did certainly whine about it like a petulant little bitch, and I definitely remember the outcry against her for it. But like, I mean like here: https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/02/05/gop-debate-donald-trump-megyn-kelly-trump-university-lawsuits-orig-vstan-10.fox-news it's not a lot, but it's more than what everyone else at the time was willing to do. While he was getting high fives and phone drives from other people he insulted, she did a journalism at him and it was good.

That's literally the clip I just reviewed before I replied to you.

That's nothing. He mocked her immediately.

quote:

No praise for her for anything else she's ever done -- but in this one instance and I believe a couple others during the first debates before she was called to stand down by Fox Corporate, she was the only person I remember at the time who didn't either playfully gloss over the terrible poo poo he was saying and had done or gleefully join in on his antics for ratings. Ratings are why she stopped fairly quickly, imo, which was more my point. trump's not a very effective showman when you directly contradict him with reality, but somehow even if you do that the audience still goes to bat for him because then all of a sudden he's some kind of lovable victim.

This is more what I meant to get at. I just don't phrase things as eloquently or concisely. Megyn Kelly did that for a minute until she wasn't allowed to any more. And that's basically been what journalism is for a long time now.

Again, you're falling for the framing of Trump that he was somehow treated more harshly by her than anyone else.

He's been questioned much harder many times. He was mad at her because she has a vagina and works for fox and didn't kiss his rear end.

edit: I really don't know why this is a relevant discussion. Trump doesn't debate, and never has.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Hot take: debates are mostly stupid anyways. Everyone involved already knows what the candidates think, they’re just an opportunity for someone to trip up or score a sick own that becomes a soundbite. No one on earth is sitting there giving a crap about either candidate’s opinion on anything

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, it's more like the fact that Trump debates like a child, and any adult will tell you can't win an argument or even have a meaningful discussion with a kid who's entire strategy is "I called it, no takebacks, my Uncle works at Nintendo , and I totally did do my homework even if the teacher says I didn't. I also got the highest grade in the class but they said I got a 'c'. The test questions were wrong. Mrs. Gallagher hates me and picks on me all the time but not the other kids".

Then calls the other kids and the teacher losers and liars, all while interrupting you the entire time. You're not going to "win" this argument. You just have to send him to his room without his ice cream and diet coke.

Gyges posted:

Kind of what Gyges touched on here.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think having a button to cut his mic and turn on a big, red, "You're muted, rear end in a top hat, stop trying to talk." light could work. If you forced him to shut the gently caress up and let someone else get a point, any point, out of their mouths without getting drowned out by being called a nasty woman then something could happen. It wouldn't be a debate or a conversation, because he'll go right back to that the instant the light goes off but it could be made to work as.....something.

Which is why he would never agree to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

bird food bathtub posted:

I think having a button to cut his mic and turn on a big, red, "You're muted, rear end in a top hat, stop trying to talk." light could work. If you forced him to shut the gently caress up and let someone else get a point, any point, out of their mouths without getting drowned out by being called a nasty woman then something could happen. It wouldn't be a debate or a conversation, because he'll go right back to that the instant the light goes off but it could be made to work as.....something.

Which is why he would never agree to it.

I'm not sure if there was a light, but the second debate in 2020 muted each candidate's mic while the other had their allotted 2 minutes to answer per question explicitly to keep the debate functional.