Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

They're really leaning into "these numbers make no sense and no we're not going to explain the weighting" eh?

Absolutely !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

That's a lot of numbers to say "we are rating these as effectively equivalent to a coin flip which gives us an easy out if we're wrong."

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

That's a lot of numbers to say "we are rating these as effectively equivalent to a coin flip which gives us an easy out if we're wrong."

To be fair isn't a coin flip a pretty decent model for playoff hockey?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Lived in New Jersey….

Flyers fan on top of it….

You poor poor bastard I wouldn’t wish that combo on anyone.

Yeah having to deal with Pennsylvania drivers is always a bad fate :v:

signed,

Burlington county dude who grew up along the delaware

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Florida and Vegas will be going to the finals with Florida winning it all. A shocking and well earned cup win for a team that almost didn’t even make the playoffs to begin with.

gently caress Dallas.
(Sorry I’m a frequent NFL NFC-East poster and am contractually required to say that.)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Let's go Canes! Rod has transformed this team into something feared over the past 5 years, and a cup would be well-deserved.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol Robertson +16. Maybe this round!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Pretty crazy Florida made the conference finals with that defense, The Paul Maurice Effect

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Dallas-Vegas is going to be real good I think. Looking forward to it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I so badly want to drive to Vegas to watch game 1 this Friday but I know I can’t justify it

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/WaltRuff/status/1658852005505368070

Puljujarvi back to two injuries away from getting in the lineup.

e: It is nice to see Noesen thriving like he is. I always thought it was weird he fell out of the league, but I guess he had problems with his consistency. Dude plays like the prototypical Carolina game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Is Miro Heiskanen's +6 the highest defense rating in the league? I've never seen one outside of the +3 to -3 range lol

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

e: It is nice to see Noesen thriving like he is. I always thought it was weird he fell out of the league, but I guess he had problems with his consistency. Dude plays like the prototypical Carolina game.

Looking at those two top left wings and the entire 4th line I’m starting to think Rod can plug anybody into his lineup and his system will cover for em. Ghost Bear barely looks like a liability on defense anymore it’s insane

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

Looking at those two top left wings and the entire 4th line I’m starting to think Rod can plug anybody into his lineup and his system will cover for em. Ghost Bear barely looks like a liability on defense anymore it’s insane

I mean that 3rd line is really their 2nd, but yeah.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T-Bone posted:

If Carolina wins the Cup and fails to put puljujarvis name on it I will be quite upset.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

If Carolina wins the Cup and fails to put puljujarvis name on it I will be quite upset.

I think they have to, he's played 7 playoff games already

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol Robertson +16. Maybe this round!

We can dream :allears:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Dirty Burger posted:

This is Gostisbehere's very first experience receiving competent coaching.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Is that 4th line "Stepan" as in "Derek Stepan," formerly perennial 50+ pt player with the Rangers? (I've only sparsely paid attention to hockey since 2019).

*Googles*

It is!

*Googles more*

Oh. He lost his soul in Arizona. :(

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Is Miro Heiskanen's +6 the highest defense rating in the league? I've never seen one outside of the +3 to -3 range lol
Spurgeon was the highest at +7

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think they have to, he's played 7 playoff games already

No, the requirement for automatically getting your name on the Cup is having played in at least one game in the Stanley Cup Final, or 41 in the regular season (for the Cup-winning team). Other playoff games don't matter.

Zat fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 17, 2023

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Powershift posted:

I'll be more upset if he gets his name on the cup considering he's done absolutely nothing for the team since joining it.

edit:
17 regular season games : 2a
7 post-season games: 1a

That's it. That's his entire output.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 17, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I'll be more upset if he gets his name on the cup considering he's done absolutely nothing for the team since joining it.

edit:

He's there more for emotional support and nostril cleaning advice. Both integral parts of a cup run.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nocheez posted:

edit:

luckily hockey is played on both ends of the ice

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aye Doc posted:

luckily hockey is played on both ends of the ice

Puljujarvi leveling up his on-ice/xGF discrepancies to never before seen heights in Carolina is a thing of beauty:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Oh yeah that's great stuff

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I guess this is the first time all 3 Staal brothers are playing in the same playoff series?

Was Jordan also an rear end in a top hat regarding the Pride jersey?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carolina also did not do jerseys but did not quote anyone specific.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You going to the punk museum?

Late reply but yeah probably earlier on the 26th.

Game 5 is on the 27th though so we be going to it.

Edit: my friend was complaining because 300 level tickets started at like $109 before fees lol that’s not even that expensive?!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 17, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol that's nothing

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Aphrodite posted:

Carolina also did not do jerseys but did not quote anyone specific.

Carolina had their Pride Night back in January. I don't remember hearing that they'd ever planned to do jerseys, but the players used Pride-themed stick tape and there were the usual kinds of stadium promo and announcements for a theme night. It wasn't controversial around here, but this was before the Wild backed out on their jerseys and it all blew up on the news.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

loving Dallas had a successful pride night with everyone sporting the colours and are therefore the only good team left.

Go Stars!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

kalensc posted:

Was Jordan also an rear end in a top hat regarding the Pride jersey?

marc and eric posted this message as from them but it had jordan front and center

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
request for help finding an espn skit in the gbs white whale thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3895038&perpage=40&pagenumber=147#post531926989

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol, "having said that" is literally "I'm not racist, but..."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I don't believe in gassing a minority population, but...

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

Is that 4th line "Stepan" as in "Derek Stepan," formerly perennial 50+ pt player with the Rangers? (I've only sparsely paid attention to hockey since 2019).

*Googles*

It is!

*Googles more*

Oh. He lost his soul in Arizona. :(

he had very little athleticism to go around when he came up and was 22-25, was pretty much all really great instincts + hockey sense + skill. once he hit like 28 and lost even the little bit he had, it's been hard for him. good to see him learn to become a good faceoff guy and still contribute a little bit on the penalty kill and possession-wise at 5v5.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I will forever love Stepan for this goal.

https://youtu.be/YSCC3gwHhPU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cartoon Man posted:

Florida and Vegas will be going to the finals with Florida winning it all. A shocking and well earned cup win for a team that almost didn’t even make the playoffs to begin with.

gently caress Dallas.
(Sorry I’m a frequent NFL NFC-East poster and am contractually required to say that.)

:hmmyes:

gently caress Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

I will forever love Stepan for this goal.

https://youtu.be/YSCC3gwHhPU

Hey gently caress you