Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

If you have an N95, it's possible to push it up from the bottom and get it over your nose/mouth. Eg.

That was kind of what I was thinking, thanks for corroborating. It worked pretty well, too, once I worked the sides in under the cheek pads. I caught a couple of whiffs of smoke on the way home but nothing like in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello it’s me again, I’ve never had a bike before and I’m trying to collect the beginner equipment. I ordered a $50 jacket and gloves from Amazon. Then I went into a bike shop and saw their stuff and it is more like $300. So I started wondering about the difference between quality in jackets.

My jacket isn’t here yet but the gloves are and the knuckles feel like they’re made out of soft foam. In contrast the ones at the store were a very hard material. Seems like they would be better gloves. I felt the jackets at the store and they had hard armor, whereas judging by the gloves I wonder whether the jacket will get here and be flimsy and perhaps not prevent my organs from becoming pancakes in a collision.

I feel like I’m making a mistake getting cheap stuff from Amazon. With my life and health at stake a few hundred dollars doesn’t seem like any big deal. Can goons confirm? Or am I paranoid?

Also I’m getting a Kawasaki but it’s pre owned from a Ducati dealership, so all the gear I’m looking at is Ducati labeled. Would it be a faux pas to ride around on a Kawasaki with Ducati gear? Something tells me I might get strange looks from hardcore bikers

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I would not recommend buying gear from Amazon. Revzilla if you’re in the US is a good place to shop.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

revzilla ships super duper fast for me. cycle gear has a zillion helmets to try on. also i've had stuff from webike japan show up a couple days after i ordered it (california)

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Vino posted:

Also I’m getting a Kawasaki but it’s pre owned from a Ducati dealership, so all the gear I’m looking at is Ducati labeled. Would it be a faux pas to ride around on a Kawasaki with Ducati gear? Something tells me I might get strange looks from hardcore bikers

Meh, don’t spend time caring about what other people think of your gear. With that said, Ducati branded gear is probably going to cost more than an equivalent unbranded piece of gear, so maybe don’t do that unless you just love how it looks?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Yea just buy from Revzilla or Cyclegear or something. You won’t have to worry about wearing Ducati gear on a Kawasaki not that anyone would care.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I'd say it's the opposite, most riders are acquainted with the fact that between gear fit being challenging, limited sets of brands in various stores, and the fact that quality stuff sometimes has dorky poo poo plastered on it, half of all motorcyclists are running around in mismatched clownsuits, and it's a good sign.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Remy Marathe posted:

I'd say it's the opposite, most riders are acquainted with the fact that between gear fit being challenging, limited sets of brands in various stores, and the fact that quality stuff sometimes has dorky poo poo plastered on it, half of all motorcyclists are running around in mismatched clownsuits, and it's a good sign.

Sort of in line with that, I've always been of the opinion that if all your gear matches your bike, you're maybe trying a little too hard there bud

(sponsored racers excepted, and obviously not so much if your bike is black (unless you're one of those Harley dudes who obviously never spent a dime outside the dealership))

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Also, unless you're wearing one of those worthless skullcap/beanie helmets, no one will see your face, care, or remember you at all. This makes motorcycling a prime opportunity to dress up like whatever comic book character you wanted to as a kid. Found an awesome jacket that's super safe, comfortable, AND on closeout cause it's radical red or poo poo yeah yellow? Buy that thang and never look back!*

*constantly check your mirrors

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Vino posted:

Hello it’s me again, I’ve never had a bike before and I’m trying to collect the beginner equipment. I ordered a $50 jacket and gloves from Amazon. Then I went into a bike shop and saw their stuff and it is more like $300. So I started wondering about the difference between quality in jackets.

My jacket isn’t here yet but the gloves are and the knuckles feel like they’re made out of soft foam. In contrast the ones at the store were a very hard material. Seems like they would be better gloves. I felt the jackets at the store and they had hard armor, whereas judging by the gloves I wonder whether the jacket will get here and be flimsy and perhaps not prevent my organs from becoming pancakes in a collision.

I feel like I’m making a mistake getting cheap stuff from Amazon. With my life and health at stake a few hundred dollars doesn’t seem like any big deal. Can goons confirm? Or am I paranoid?

I would definitely not cheap out on gear. In an ideal world your first bike would cost 1k and your gear would cost 2k, but alas. You don't need to buy a $600 jacket, but a $50 jacket off Amazon is almost surely going to be worthless.

Most Ducati gear is just branded Dainese and AGV as far as I can tell. Which means it's (probably) good gear, but yeah you're paying the Ducati tax.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Having gear with a bike brand on it is having gear that says 'I AM AN INCREDIBLE RIDER' and if you aren't, you look like an absolute penis

It's one step down from having a repsol fireblade with repsol leathers and a Marquez replica helmet; I can tell straight away if you can cash those cheques and so can a lot of other people

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Yes I’ve seen a lot of revzilla in the search results but I don’t know whether it’s the name or something but I had trouble trusting it more than Amazon stuff. How do I know I’m getting something that will actually protect me? Can I just assume the more expensive stuff in there is better? Are there specific terms I should look out for?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Vino posted:

Yes I’ve seen a lot of revzilla in the search results but I don’t know whether it’s the name or something but I had trouble trusting it more than Amazon stuff.

lmao are you trolling

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Vino posted:

Yes I’ve seen a lot of revzilla in the search results but I don’t know whether it’s the name or something but I had trouble trusting it more than Amazon stuff. How do I know I’m getting something that will actually protect me? Can I just assume the more expensive stuff in there is better? Are there specific terms I should look out for?

No. You’re going to have to educate yourself at least a little about the different safety ratings that frustratingly only appear on gear that’s also sold in Europe. The revit website has a nice summary:

https://www.revitsport.com/en/revit-ce-certification

Personally i want something rated at least “AA”.

Read through that and then find a jacket you like on revzilla or cycle gear and you can post here if you have questions about it. Decide if you’re going to go leather or textile.

Do you have a full face helmet? Gloves? Boots?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha yeah. Amazon is just cheap poo poo from China at this point. Sometimes that is fine (a flashlight), but I wouldn't trust any of that stuff for protective personal equipment, which is what motorcycle gear is. Revzilla is basically Amazon for motorcycles, but I do not distrust it in the same way. If you are buying a Shoei helmet from them, I trust it is a legit Shoei helmet, not a knockoff.

If you liked the stuff in the Ducati store, there is a Dainese store in Santa Monica (1418 Lincoln Blvd). I recommend a perforated leather jacket, whichever brand you end up getting.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
what if - and hear me out - I used layers of inexpensive Amazon poo poo?
Just like a fuckin space capsule, ablating layers as I bounce off the asphalt hootin and hollerin

Still less money than Ducati-branded penis man.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My helmet I just bought for $500 is going to end up costing my house at least a grand because everyone else is drooling over it.

Arai good.

Cheap gear is basically cash you’re burning to see if you like motorcycling. But, like, you could also die before you figure out you should go ahead and get something good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Having gear with a bike brand on it is having gear that says 'I AM AN INCREDIBLE RIDER' and if you aren't, you look like an absolute penis

I think there's layers to that, though. Like, if all your gear says Yamaha and you're on a Yamaha, then yeah you're most likely a dong. If all your gear says Yamaha and you're on an Aprilia, you were a dong and either crashed or sold your Yamaha. If it's just one article that's branded, you probably picked it up at the dealership because it fit decent.

If each piece of gear is a different bike brand, like a Yamaha helmet, a Triumph jacket, Harley gloves, Ducati pants and BMW boots, you're doing that poo poo on purpose, cut it out.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
About the Amazon stuff, what actually is it? Links, pictures or names? That would be the best way for us to tell how bad it is (for 50$ probably very).

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
you know for a thread full of posters who love to trot out the 'LOL NOBODY SEES YOU ON A MOTORCYCLE IN THE FIRST PLACE IT ISNT A FASHION SHOW GET OVER URSELF LOL' attitude yall sure have a lot of opinions over what people wear

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
At a normal passing distance , I can usually clock "t shirt," "harley gear," or "adventure gear dad." I don't think I've ever noticed non-harley brand gear on anyone.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

many things have been already said, I'd just like to add: once you figure out what are the "good" brands among which to choose - in the end, buy the fit, not the brand.

Even if all Ducati gear was extremely good and safe (it is, mostly), that's kinda useless if the jacket flops around your body or the gloves come off on their own or have fingers that are much longer than your actual fingers making you clumsy on the controls. Protective motorcycle equipment is one of those things that I'd never buy without trying on first, so if you buy online make sure it is from someplace where you can easily return if for some reason stuff doesn't fit you well (I'm EU-based and basically every reasonably well-known online shop allows it, not sure about the US)

Also, I ride a drat japanese 350cc maxiscooter and when I'm riding outside town I'm dressed head to toe in "adventure" style gear from big brands like Rev'it, Ducati, Spidi, TCX, Shoei and so on because I really value keeping my skin attached and my bones unbroken as much as possible if an accident were to happen. No one ever said a word about it, might have gotten some "who's this crazy dude and why so much gear on a scooter" looks but meh, it's my skin on the line so they can think whatever and ride in t-shirt, shorts and flipflops for all I care, I really honestly pray for them that they never have to kiss asphalt in those outfits. Never let what other people think influence your own safety.

Llewellyn posted:

At a normal passing distance , I can usually clock "t shirt," "harley gear," or "adventure gear dad." I don't think I've ever noticed non-harley brand gear on anyone.

Basically this, I'm adventure gear dad on a puttering, monocylindric, CVT belt driven ironing board. And I love it!

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

No. You’re going to have to educate yourself at least a little about the different safety ratings that frustratingly only appear on gear that’s also sold in Europe. The revit website has a nice summary:

https://www.revitsport.com/en/revit-ce-certification

Personally i want something rated at least “AA”.

Read through that and then find a jacket you like on revzilla or cycle gear and you can post here if you have questions about it. Decide if you’re going to go leather or textile.

Do you have a full face helmet? Gloves? Boots?

Informative post, thank you.

I have a Shoei modular helmet that is the only thing that I’m happy of the quality for Amazon. It cost a lot too. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QN83KS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have these gloves that even as I put them on seemed a bit soft and like I’m not sure how they would protect me. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0861VWQKJ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And this jacket that has not yet arrived and I suppose I misremembered the price, but still the Ducati ones were much pricier https://a.co/d/8ZY630L

I’m also in the market for boots and armored pants, and an airbag vest if I ever start using the highway a lot.

I’m thinking I can upgrade my gloves at Ducati and perhaps boots and pants, but get the jacket and vest online. I probably won’t need too much stuff for the first few weeks when I’ll just be practicing in parking lots.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yeah... No. I would not trust those gloves and that jacket. Everything that's pretty much direct china import, is potentially made on the fashion factory line with cheap yarn that will disintegrate the second you hit the pavement - rather than with extra strong yarn that will not break if there's a ripping force on the jacket. That's one of the things that gets tested in the CE rating tests.

CE rated jackets don't have to be expensive. I bought my standard boring black fabric jacket and trousers for a total of about 250 euro, at a brick and mortar biker gear shop in my area (https://www.bikeroutfit.nl - they ship abroad, though potentially shipping to the USA is not worth it and idk if they wanna go through the customs hassle of shipping things outside the EU)
Didn't check the trousers, but the made in pakistan jacket is AA rated - the whole jacket, not just 'CE rated impact protection'. I have reasonable confidence in the shop not accepting garments with fake CE markings. The CE approval tests are "only" 5000 euro so that's very little money for a big import agency.

With regards to looks - in my opinion, there is way too much drab, grey or black biker gear out there. After riding with a black helmet and a black Rev'it one piece (my first proper suit, also bought at Bikeroutfit.nl, for 350 euro on clearance) for a couple of years i decided to go balls out and get a proper Power Rangers suit. If it were up to me, more road riding gear would have the color schemes and outrageous designs of motocross gear.

gently caress yeah. Strike a pose. Be the 1980s TV show space force character you've always wanted to be. I have a matching Shoei helmet by now, no black helmet anymore. It's still a lot of black but i couldn't be bothered to spend double the money for a similar but flashier suit. After all, i'm quite the stereotype of a frugal dutch man.

750 euro. Worth every cent. It's dogshit to walk around in if you're going to get a couple of groceries but it's SO loving COMFORTABLE on a bike. It's form fitting so it doesn't flap about or bunch up, while at the same time offering complete freedom of motion as if you're wearing nothing at all.

There's a big mismatch between my riding style (i live on man made land with 90% of roads being perfectly straight) and the suit i'm wearing but idgaf. I feel ~fabulous~ and i am safe. I just need some new boots because these Sidis were already second hand when i bought them.

That said, there is no point in starting out with such things. I started out with 2nd hand gear except for my helmet and gloves. Piecing a safe outfit together on the minimum wage job i had when i first started my riding lessons. You *WILL* fall a couple of times when you start to learn a bike or going through bike lessons and it would be utterly stupid to wear an expensive suit to your lessons, only to end up with it scuffed from a stupid low speed drop. It wasn't until i rode for about a year that i happened to come across the cheap 350 euro rev'it suit.

Second hand gear is a good option if you're really price concious. I bought a 50 euro two piece leather suit for doing my riding lessons, and it was completely fine for that use. My boots have always been either 2nd hand army boots, or 2nd hand biker boots.
If you're worried about hygiene, you can clean practically everything that's not a helmet shell or gloves. Even leather suits, and especially fabric stuff is easy to just rinse out if you take out the protectors first.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 18, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

On the other hand a guy turned up to my direct access course in a 1-piece leather race suit in suzuki colours to match his GSXR-600 which was pretty funny. So don't start there OP.

He also ended up puncturing a hedge at 50mph on day 3, again pretty funny as he was a twat, but not a seriously injured twat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Phy posted:

I think there's layers to that, though. Like, if all your gear says Yamaha and you're on a Yamaha, then yeah you're most likely a dong. If all your gear says Yamaha and you're on an Aprilia, you were a dong and either crashed or sold your Yamaha. If it's just one article that's branded, you probably picked it up at the dealership because it fit decent.

If each piece of gear is a different bike brand, like a Yamaha helmet, a Triumph jacket, Harley gloves, Ducati pants and BMW boots, you're doing that poo poo on purpose, cut it out.

The real kicker is if you build your non-bike life around it. Nothing like logging into your gmail account that is FZ6_Bob@gmail.com, when you havent owned an FZ6 in 15 years.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Toe Rag posted:

but yeah you're paying the Ducati tax.

Plus $30 shipping. For anyone that doesn't have a child onesies are usually like $18. Ducati really wants to be the Italian Harley Davidson.

Llewellyn posted:

Harley does the same thing Ducati does and rebrands other gear. Most of their stuff is Revit, but I have a pair of Harley gloves that I love because they fit my weird hands perfectly. I've also personally tested the gloves in a high-speed crash and they held up fine. I wish they didn't have an orange skull on them but whatever.

But I'm a really big fan of not looking like I'm wearing gear. Tobacco jeans, TCX boots, and when it's kind of cold I have a wind-proof abrasion-resistant hoodie with D3O armor. I actually wear the boots all the time because the armor feels like an ankle brace and that helps with all the hardware in my leg. And they just look like regular boots with a weird patch over the toe.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Tell me more about this riding hoodie

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Those tcx boots rock. I can walk around all day in those (I keep Chuck Taylor’s in the office but that’s just because I like a Mr Rogers shoe change routine).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

what if - and hear me out - I used layers of inexpensive Amazon poo poo?
Just like a fuckin space capsule, ablating layers as I bounce off the asphalt hootin and hollerin
Oh, hi Marc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Llewellyn posted:

(I keep Chuck Taylor’s in the office but that’s just because I like a Mr Rogers shoe change routine).

Lol ditto they're like office slippers

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Vino posted:

Other people have answered this in length. But to repeat and destill:

On a bike user centric safety is on the user. And that means what you wear.

Do you feel you are worth shitbox commuter car money or super car euro safety test 5 star? That’s the money put in gear.

If you’re actually safety conscious your total gear value should eclipse your beater bike’s value.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

A MIRACLE posted:

I'll admit the logo on the sleeve is basically as ostentatious as it gets, but this is currently my go-to jacket between like 40-60 degrees.

https://tobaccomotorwear.com/collections/armored-hoodies/products/wayward-armored-hoodie

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

A MIRACLE posted:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/merlin-hamlin-kevlar-hoody

I own this one, looks like it no longer comes with back armor included (does have the pocket), but still has the shoulder and elbow stuff. Fit is pretty snug except for the sleeves, which are either baggy or designed for hulk arms, but that doesn't effect the elbow armor being in the right place at all times. Quite heavy and warm until you're moving, at which point air flows through it and it's basically mesh gear.

Haven't crash tested it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
There are a few liveries that if I saw them on a bike / rider I’d say “dang that always looks great, good for you”. The three I can think of are Repsol, Marlboro, and Lucky Strike.

I might just have brain damage from being a road cyclist where every rider wears the brand of some obscure European flooring company or Basque telephone vendor without a second thought.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ulf posted:

There are a few liveries that if I saw them on a bike / rider I’d say “dang that always looks great, good for you”. The three I can think of are Repsol, Marlboro, and Lucky Strike.

I might just have brain damage from being a road cyclist where every rider wears the brand of some obscure European flooring company or Basque telephone vendor without a second thought.

As a recent convert I find all of that stuff insanely garish and stupid, you are not pogacar you don't need brand sponsorship graphics stretched over your pot belly

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Phy posted:

I've been toying with the idea of printing SUZAKI decals to slap on my ducati. Where does that sit on this chart?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Absolutely do that

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Also requesting pics of the Suzaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020