Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Dogen posted:

Psh like she didn’t already

It feels very much like a “the lady’s favor” moment, too, but a practical one. As a armchair student ancient religions and cult practices, there’s a lot of themes and ideas in JS (and recent Star Wars, in general) that ping my radar. I very much like the juxtaposition of the Cal’s Jedi esoteric/transcendent background with this Merrin’s Nightsister’s occult/immanent background. The Goddess and the Mystic, complementary rather than opposed.

Maybe a completely over thought misread, but I could probably pull an essay out of it if I wasn’t lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Marsupial Ape posted:

It feels very much like a “the lady’s favor” moment, too, but a practical one. As a armchair student ancient religions and cult practices, there’s a lot of themes and ideas in JS (and recent Star Wars, in general) that ping my radar. I very much like the juxtaposition of the Cal’s Jedi esoteric/transcendent background with this Merrin’s Nightsister’s occult/immanent background. The Goddess and the Mystic, complementary rather than opposed.

Maybe a completely over thought misread, but I could probably pull an essay out of it if I wasn’t lazy.

That's how I read it too, fwiw.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Finished the story. I understand what they're trying to do with the story, but it felt unfocused. Bedlam Raiders felt like they should have been something more than "random mook squad for your enemy". There were hints that it could be more, but it's left out of focus.

I wish that the crew you met on Coruscant stuck around for longer. Particularly the slicer lady, in her 30 seconds of screen time she showed more personality than Bode did in the adventure.

The other piece that felt off to me was that you kept re-visiting the same places over and over again rather than expanding further. I mean the feeling from the first game where you showed up on Kashyyk and took over the AT-AT, or got nabbed by the bounty hunters and had to figure your way out of their lair, were good changes of pace that aren't really found on in Survivor because of their focus on being more "Open world" than before.

I do like that it seems like Disney just shrugged and said "F' it, There's magic in Star Wars, but it's limited"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Be cool if next game we can think with portals

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

fartknocker posted:

I demand more Skoova and Turgle.

A game where you travel around with Skoova and Turgle catching fish, all while Turgle keeps pissing off pirates and the locals and you have to deal with them while Skoova catches the fish.

Hire me, Disney.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Calax posted:

I do like that it seems like Disney just shrugged and said "F' it, There's magic in Star Wars, but it's limited"

You’ve triggered by TEDx mode.

The most basic definition of magic is “the practice of causing reality to conform to your will.” Magic is the manifestation of your intent, to be a little more verbose. Your beliefs color your intent, and thus the manifestation of your intent is colored by your beliefs. The Jedi Order may claim that they believe that the Force is the energy binding reality together (immanence), but their ultimate goal of vanishing from existence proves that they are much more interested in the transcendent. They want to divorce themselves completely from the phenomenal world and exist outside of it. The lightsaber is a elegant but cold and bloodless weapon. Their Force powers manifest in austere an manner, either as amplified martial arts or as transparent, parallaxing force waves. The Sith, who are the inverted reflection of the Jedi, are obsessed with achieving immortality through undeath. They refuse to leave the phenomenal world.

How could the Jedi Order possibly safe guard the galaxy if they have no desire to exist as a part of it? That is the intent of living without attachments.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whenever I went to a new place and was worried about what I'd run into, then would find Skoova Stev, it immediately made me feel like I'd be okay.

Plus I got to hear some cool stories.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

The escape sequence after getting the codes was incredible.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Jedi was fine in the original trilogy when it was good guys doing ESP and telekinesis and swordfights, but IMO George’s big brained idea to turn them into celibate, anhedonic weirdos to facilitate Anakin’s downfall in the prequels because he couldn’t think of a clever way to do it kind of ruins the Jedi in Star Wars for me, it’d be like entrusting some creepy group of incels to our national defense.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

1st AD posted:

The Jedi was fine in the original trilogy when it was good guys doing ESP and telekinesis and swordfights, but IMO George’s big brained idea to turn them into celibate, anhedonic weirdos to facilitate Anakin’s downfall in the prequels because he couldn’t think of a clever way to do it kind of ruins the Jedi in Star Wars for me, it’d be like entrusting some creepy group of incels to our national defense.

Oh, yeah, all fun literary criticism aside, the Jedi are the product of an insecure 20-something film nerd in the 70s. The whole ‘no attachments’ thing is the result of a couple bad relationships or something.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Like, the sequel trilogy is kind of bad but there was at least the thread of an interesting idea - Luke Skywalker decided to restart the Jedi, and like an idiot he used the books from the original failed Jedi Order to restart the Jedi Order, which then got destroyed in exactly the same manner as the last time! And here comes Rey trying to restart the Jedi Order and Luke is like, “umm this is NOT the way it turns out being The Jedi is actually stupid and it ruined my life”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

1st AD posted:

Like, the sequel trilogy is kind of bad but there was at least the thread of an interesting idea - Luke Skywalker decided to restart the Jedi, and like an idiot he used the books from the original failed Jedi Order to restart the Jedi Order, which then got destroyed in exactly the same manner as the last time! And here comes Rey trying to restart the Jedi Order and Luke is like, “umm this is NOT the way it turns out being The Jedi is actually stupid and it ruined my life”

I actually don't think the core conceit of the new trilogy is all that poo poo, it's just executed in a bizarre way with a lack of effort. I tried to watch RoS and I turned it off three times before coming back to finish it and I usually suffer through any old poo poo movie in one go. It was insanely boring. I don't even know how they managed it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 18, 2023

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

IT was actually kind of good until they decided it upset too many fans fee-fees making Luke a jaded boomer and walking it all back in the third one, making a very boring dumb movie in the process.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The rapid fire deus ex machinas and insanely conceited circumstances are what ruined RoS for me. I couldn't handle it any more after the Falcon crashes on the Endor moon for no reason, and then they happen to be on the exact cliff at the exact right distance and position for Rey to get another of her "stare into the middle distance" epiphanies and use the dagger (that she happened to find in a random hole under an inch of sand) so they could stop the giant fleet of Star Destroyers that all had Death Star lasers and were built in secret without access to imperial logistics and resources in 30 years. TFA had some good ideas that I was looking forward to seeing fleshed out, and then TLJ happened and it was all downhill. There was no direction or creative mind leading the thing, they kept passing it back and forth and trying to patch whatever holes the last guy left. Lucas was a maniac, but he was the creative mind that had a relatively cohesive story to tell.

And a large frosty, please, thanks.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 18, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1st AD posted:

IT was actually kind of good until they decided it upset too many fans fee-fees making Luke a jaded boomer and walking it all back in the third one, making a very boring dumb movie in the process.

I mean, Luke dies at the end of the 2nd movie, so they didn't really need to walk back anything. The sequel trilogy is just pure trash with no redeeming qualities to any of it and its best to just pretend it never happened. I was happy that LucasFilms was largely trying to distance itself from the sequel trilogy timeline and get away from it, they realized that it was a massive mistake that fans hate. But the Mandalorian currently is heading into the direction of tying itself into the sequel movies, and so that really super sucks. But at least that show is very early after Return of the Jedi (and Book of Boba Fett is right in the middle of the events of Return of the Jedi), where the Force Awakens is 20+ years later.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 18, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I don’t even like the movies.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I mean, Luke dies at the end of the 2nd movie, so they didn't really need to walk back anything. The sequel trilogy is just pure trash with no redeeming qualities to any of it and its best to just pretend it never happened.

But what about all the awesome acrobatic and force power poo poo Rey does without having any reason to be able to do it? What about Leia just flying out into space for a minute? You can't tell me that you wanted a better explanation for Palpatine coming back from the dead than "somehow", can you?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Marsupial Ape posted:

I don’t even like the movies.

Yeah ultimately all of the best stuff has been the TV shows / games. If you watch anything, watch Andor Season 1, and then Rogue One.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Yeah ultimately all of the best stuff has been the TV shows / games. If you watch anything, watch Andor Season 1, and then Rogue One.

Apparently season 2 of Andor is going to end with the last few episodes being the few days before Rogue One.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Force awakens felt like I was on a tour of star wars or in a reboot of the original movie. It was too similar. The second movie was, at least, interesting and held my attention even if it was faulty. RoS has absolutely no redeeming features. The action sucks, I can't recall anything anyone said in dialogue (except the "somehow" meme) which strikes me as a bad outcome for them and the story felt like a desperate attempt to make some rando online person happy. Anyway glad we have these games I forgot that I like star wars for a long time.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RoS had the cool lightsaber fight where they were in completely different places, and uh... umm... that's about it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Apparently season 2 of Andor is going to end with the last few episodes being the few days before Rogue One.

That sounds really cool! Excited for that. We are also getting Ashoka Season 1 in August, and that might be really good.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wish the second blade could be a different color on dual wield/dual saber.

SirSamVimes posted:

RoS had the cool lightsaber fight where they were in completely different places, and uh... umm... that's about it

I still can’t believe they basically just ripped off a 90s comic plot.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

But his whole point was that the Jedi had lost their way and were doing it wrong, that's why the Order collapsed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

owlbears law:

any thread discussing any star wars media of any format will eventually break down into sequel trilogy chat.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

owlbears law:

any thread discussing any star wars media of any format will eventually break down into sequel trilogy chat.

It's almost like the movies were incredibly polarizing and established a new canon that erased decades of creative work or something

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's almost like the movies were incredibly polarizing and established a new canon that erased decades of creative work or something

it remains incredible to me that after a 4bn transaction to acquire proprietary rights to arguably America's greatest and most influential cultural product of the 20th century they didn't take the simple step of a week long writers room to hash out in stone at least a rough 3 movie outline.

just letting directors play bizarro improv doing "no and" to the previous film

we must forgive them a lot though, for the disney acquisition gave us turgle, the greatest addition to the canon since 1977

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

it remains incredible to me that after a 4bn transaction to acquire proprietary rights to arguably America's greatest and most influential cultural product of the 20th century they didn't take the simple step of a week long writers room to hash out in stone at least a rough 3 movie outline.

just letting directors play bizarro improv doing "no and" to the previous film

we must forgive them a lot though, for the disney acquisition gave us turgle, the greatest addition to the canon since 1977

Right. Even if they just let Abrams direct all three instead of passing it off to Rian "I Must Subvert Expectations No Matter What" Johnson, there would have at least been a cohesiveness to the plot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder how many mystery boxes there'd be at the end of it that supplemental material then goes about opening

Or hell, some kind of animated series that weaves in and out and around the movies tying it all together...

*coughunconvincingcough*

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Right. Even if they just let Abrams direct all three instead of passing it off to Rian "I Must Subvert Expectations No Matter What" Johnson, there would have at least been a cohesiveness to the plot.

This is giving JJ Abrams a ton of undue credit, imo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is giving JJ Abrams a ton of undue credit, imo.

Yeah seriously, JJ is and always has been a loving hack who never had any sort of plan.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

CapnAndy posted:

Dudes are somewhat understandably superstitious about a moon that they see in their sky every night that got blown the gently caress up by space wizards doing unknown experiments?
Did they ever really explain the accident? It just seemed like it happened because of the magical fairy dust. They never really went too deep into any of magic dust come to think of it, I guess maybe in the sequel.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Yeah seriously, JJ is and always has been a loving hack who never had any sort of plan.

I'm not saying it would have been GOOD, but there wouldn't have been the "ok, my turn to do star wars now" poo poo that ventilated the whole trilogy. The third one was so full of contrivance and forced poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'd like to have seen his trilogy tbh. At least it would have been interesting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

honestly the flawed mess we got is more interesting and prompts a lot more conversation than whatever bland mystery box pap jj would have done without the Rian combo breaker.

he's absolutely a hack. I think I really turned on his poo poo at into darkness, where the "big twist" was entirely metatextual for the audience to soy face over, and he did not work to set it up in the story so in the narrative, from Kirk's perspective it was literally "a guy lied about his name i guess" didn't change the established stakes or make him more dangerous, just made him That Guy You Remember from a much better film.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, dislike MCU if you want but Kevin Feige was clearly onto something with keeping his hand on the tiller.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm overall enjoying Survivor, and there are some parts I'm looking forward to doing on NG+

However, I just got the map upgrade that shows all the collectible vendor trade items (data disks, scrolls, pyerite, etc) and I just cannot muster the energy to deal with all that. I enjoyed most of the environmental puzzles, I'll probably hunt down all the treasure chests, and bounties and pick up any stray geegaws along the way. But the idea of backtracking down some god forsaken cave just to pick up one little ancient dropped trinket I missed the first time is just killing any motivation I had to play at all.

I also agree with the poster that mentioned the traveling back and forth between 4/5 planets so much is a little off putting. I would be happier with taking trips to smaller chunks of more planets. It just really feels off to travel to planet A, then Planet A's moon, then Planet B, then back to A and Moon, then back to B, then Moon again and then after 30 hours, planet C, all for plot, not counting backtracking just for new areas opened with traversal mechanics.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you're going to do NG+ you can probably just grab them on your way of doing the plot.

I think the worst was bounty hunting though, the quests sent me to like shattered moon and other planets when I had almost no other reason to go there. I just stopped doing bounties at some point in the game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Rascyc posted:

Did they ever really explain the accident? It just seemed like it happened because of the magical fairy dust. They never really went too deep into any of magic dust come to think of it, I guess maybe in the sequel.

Probably the Nihil, one would assume they attacked it and the planet at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are the Nihil like from anything else or made up for this game? I don't follow the larger SW universe anymore. Same with the hyperspace disaster thing.