Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

I've always wanted a show without stakes. just hook me up to a dilaudid pump and put on Ted Lasso and let me die peacefully.

:whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I remember season 2 they tried to make it an overarching plot point about how they needed to improve the team or something? But then its like somewhat tossed to the side or its handled in that episode. Can't remember correctly its been a while.

They lose so much they get relegated to a lower league in the first season, and in the second season they win the lower league and get promoted back to the Premier League.

This is, as I understand it, extremely common for lower-tier EPL teams and there is a handful of teams that are constantly floating between relegation and promotion.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 17, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

PostNouveau posted:

They lose so much they get relegated to a lower league in the first season, and in the second season they win the lower league and get promoted back to the Premier League.

This is, as I understand it, extremely common for lower-tier EPL teams and there is a handful of teams that are constantly floating between relegation and promotion.

there are some teams that do it consistently but all you have to do is look at sunderland to see what would actually happen if a ted lasso like incident was happening

in general the entire show is built on the idea that sports outside of america don't count so it's not a big deal

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The newest episode, a 66-minute slog, hinges on their mediocre team (as well as West Ham, who have never done anything) being in the discussion for a new super league

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ItohRespectArmy posted:

there are some teams that do it consistently but all you have to do is look at sunderland to see what would actually happen if a ted lasso like incident was happening

in general the entire show is built on the idea that sports outside of america don't count so it's not a big deal

From what I've seen of Season 3, they are in contention for the EPL title, and I have no idea how likely or unlikely that is supposed to be for one of these bubble teams. The show doesn't explain it well other than that all the sports pundits pick them to be last place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

From what I've seen of Season 3, they are in contention for the EPL title, and I have no idea how likely or unlikely that is supposed to be for one of these bubble teams. The show doesn't explain it well other than that all the sports pundits pick them to be last place.

They get a guy who is supposed to basically be Zlatan Ibrahimovic and win a bunch of games with him, then he suddenly retires and they lose a bunch, then they go to Amsterdam for a friendly with Ajax and Ted accidentally discovers the concept of Total Football after watching a 90s Chicago Bulls game at an America-themed restaurant, then completely alters their tactics to play that style a week later, then after some growing pains with it they start winning again. I have no idea how far along in the season it's supposed to be or where they're at on the table.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, like Jeet Heer said in the critical article about the Koch faildaughter, if we're all traumatized then we're all on the same level and inequality doesn't really exist.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 23, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Before an entire episode about a TV show I’ve never seen: Felix seems a little down, hope he’s not too burnt out.

After: he got that dawg in him

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

PostNouveau posted:

leicester winning the title a few seasons after getting promoted is generally considered the greatest story in modern football, it simply wouldn't happen.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
What's funny about Ted Lasso isn't even the reasons they list for it being bad, but also how quickly it abandons it's own premise

Like yes its twee, conflict-free bullshit about people having emotional breakthroughs and becoming better people, but there was already a built-in audience for that with stuff like Parks and Rec, Schitt's Creek, etc

But its not even good at that anymore, because as the show has continued they accidentally made 'sagely American yokel uses his folksy wisdom to make Brits good at both soccer and mental health' into 'guy in his third year of coaching still refuses to learn absolutely anything about soccer, has panic attacks, is a loser, entire team does badly as a result'

Which would be fine if it was actually funny or satirical or whatever but there's so few jokes and so many long monologues about respecting yourself that by S3 you're just watching the world's most sedate drama

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The most egregious thing that they didn't get into is that the team owner starts loving the youngest player on the team in season 2 and they eventually break up because the tabloids would have a field day if it got out, not because it's an extremely frought situation on its face.

And in the current season the team captain finds out that a player is gay and becomes cold toward him, but then runs into the stands to confront a fan who shouts homophobic slurs from the stands and gets ejected from the game, leading to the gay player coming out to the rest of the team. Roy gives a press conference after where he basically says the fan had it coming but also that you can't do that, and also it's nobody's business why he did. Basically very smugly asserting that the proper response to someone being bigoted is...completely unclear.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's really great for a show to have a stance on issues that amounts to 'shrug'

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Parks and Rec was definitely saccharine a lot of the time but the show also had jokes in it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

They get a guy who is supposed to basically be Zlatan Ibrahimovic and win a bunch of games with him

Oh god, I forgot how loving stupid this was too. They basically do not lobby the guy or talk with him at all. The owner and management just sit back and hope really hard that he'll pick them.

When it looks like he's going to the big team, the owner gives him a lovely speech about how his legacy will be worse because he only played for top teams so he randomly announces at a press conference that he'll play for the tiny team. That's it. No courting him, no big deal talks, nothing.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

It’s insane the amount of discourse that has arisen from a TV show which is literally based on a few joke commercials for NBC Sports.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
"real football"

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Its very much a show where they hope slowing down how fast the actors talk and turning up the music will make a moment. But for anyone who's not prone to sudden bouts of weeping its entirely transparent manipulation.

It worked for the first season because it came out year 1 of the pandemic when there were no vaccines and people were desperate for a warm blanket of a show. That and laughing at stereotypes of the english is always a winner. What was surprising was how fast the show was willing to castrate any conflict. I thought the guy who played jamey did a great turn as a total bastard for the ten minutes he was allowed to.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Americans' brains being pulverized into oatmeal to such an extent that they can't handle conflict or stakes in fiction is some End of Days poo poo. loving Doug had more catharsis than Ted Lasso.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

porfiria posted:

Americans' brains being pulverized into oatmeal to such an extent that they can't handle conflict or stakes in fiction is some End of Days poo poo. loving Doug had more catharsis than Ted Lasso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXpOs6rORbc

won't see this on tv today!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The problem I have with all these shows mentioned (plus the office, community, etc) is as the longer they go on the writers become enamoured with their characters and want them all to win and be living their best lives, forgetting that the show was funny and good when the characters were weird losers failing around.

Have no interest in Lasso but it sounds like they just skipped the part where it was good at first. Efficient!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Blood Boils posted:

The problem I have with all these shows mentioned (plus the office, community, etc) is as the longer they go on the writers become enamoured with their characters and want them all to win and be living their best lives, forgetting that the show was funny and good when the characters were weird losers failing around.

Have no interest in Lasso but it sounds like they just skipped the part where it was good at first. Efficient!

The TV people are my friends, I just want them to be happy.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Henchman of Santa posted:

The most egregious thing that they didn't get into is that the team owner starts loving the youngest player on the team in season 2 and they eventually break up because the tabloids would have a field day if it got out, not because it's an extremely frought situation on its face.

And in the current season the team captain finds out that a player is gay and becomes cold toward him, but then runs into the stands to confront a fan who shouts homophobic slurs from the stands and gets ejected from the game, leading to the gay player coming out to the rest of the team. Roy gives a press conference after where he basically says the fan had it coming but also that you can't do that, and also it's nobody's business why he did. Basically very smugly asserting that the proper response to someone being bigoted is...completely unclear.

the best part is that the running into the crowd to hit a guy bit is stolen from a real thing that happened (eric cantona kung fu kicking a guy that was racially abusing him) which is way cooler, completely justified and cantona faced genuine real life and professional consequences for it.

I think the ultimate problem with Ted Lasso compared to other shows like it is that sports are naturally cathartic. They basically always have real stakes and genuine closure when a season ends and Ted Lasso manages to neuter a sense of any competition even. Things just happen because the plot needs them to happen to get to the next disgusting twee monologue.

Rocky didn't need an inspirational speech, it just needed a guy who had the poo poo beaten out of him screaming his girlfriends name.

The homophobia thing is just taking current event and inserting it into tv show plot which is the laziest writing too.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the latest movie mindset got me wanting to watch close encouters which ive never scene like besides one time on abc on a sunday afternoon so thisll be neat

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I fantasize about being the Richard Dreyfuss character from that movie like once a week. Pick me I’m ready to go.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

drat i kept thinking he was a douglas, took forever to find the movie

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

an hour+ long episode of tv show should be a rare treat reserved for finales. an entire season of that is just miserable

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

KoRMaK posted:

the latest movie mindset got me wanting to watch close encouters which ive never scene like besides one time on abc on a sunday afternoon so thisll be neat

Wait wasn’t the latest about body snatchers?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Chakan posted:

Before an entire episode about a TV show I’ve never seen: Felix seems a little down, hope he’s not too burnt out.

After: he got that dawg in him

Hearing him rant about this vapid tv show was like watching my cat play: is he having fun or just really pissed off

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

susan b buffering posted:

an hour+ long episode of tv show should be a rare treat reserved for finales. an entire season of that is just miserable

everything is too fuckin long now!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

For reference Claudio Rainieri got fired the season after he took Leicester City to then won a championship against “lions win the Super Bowl” odds when Leicester got near the drop zone again IIRC

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

porfiria posted:

Doug could kick Ted Lasso's rear end easily

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pharmaskittle posted:

everything is too fuckin long now!

all Content is stretched out in an attempt to maximise value for investment.... like butter scraped over too much bread

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Breadallelogram posted:

Doug could kick Ted Lasso's rear end easily
Doug, Idunno, but Quailman would best him easily.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Isentropy posted:

For reference Claudio Rainieri got fired the season after he took Leicester City to then won a championship against “lions win the Super Bowl” odds when Leicester got near the drop zone again IIRC

And are on the verge of being dumped out of the premier league again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think that if a fan calls a player a homophobic or racial slur, the player should be entitled to invoke the Douchebag Rule, where two security guards hold the fan so the player can slug them in the face. If the UK can officially adopt whatever weird laws result in the king getting slathered in Jimmy Savile's pheromones at his coronation, they can give us this.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Many worlds are colliding

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1659260475169808388

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

porfiria posted:

The TV people are my friends, I just want them to be happy.

TV is a gutter to drain away empathy and compassion.

Other things are too, but especially TV.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bah gawd. this will be quality content.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Just finished pentiment the other week. Can’t wait for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

space uncle posted:

I remember watching Ted Lasso in 2020 and enjoying the absolute lack of tension, the relentless positivity, and the immediate and inevitable conclusion of all conflict.

This is because 2020 was super depressing and scary with Covid, Trump, riots, personal life, etc… I didn’t have much mental or emotional capacity left and watching a show that is the equivalent of SSRIs was kind of nice.

My wife and I went down the opposite path and watched The Leftovers. Perfect time and place for that show. Wouldn’t have had it any other way.