Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Optional sound:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1038524758557466675/1056985755517464696/received_1332891807182852.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm just making sure the ballistic tracking works, what's the big deal?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

McCracAttack posted:

lmao how does this even happen?
Woke accessibility rules about stairs!

It looks like each seating riser was left for people to mount and dismount and the stairs were added later cut out of the riser because you probably don't want theater goers mounting and dismounting the entire height of the riser.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm just making sure the ballistic tracking works, what's the big deal?

iirc those guns are completely automated, from target detection to threat prioritizing to tracking to firing, and all the operator does is flip the safety switch to let it fire. any time the system is on it's gonna be watching for things in the air and pointing at them.

good thing they didn't!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I thought about making it into a gif but I've never done that before.

e: Here you go:

Still don't think it's very safe, but maybe I'm wrong? I don't know how bakeries normally work. But it seems like it would be easy to get burnt.

I've tried making wrappers this way (and watched someone doing the same). It takes a significant amount of skill to execute and the fact that you're holding a mass of cold dough and the pan isn't really that hot means you're unlikely to burn yourself. The wrappers are paper thin so if the heat was high they'd burn before you could retrieve them.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Hey you’re back! Good.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

I'm no Military Expert but aren't those foremost shovels supposed to already be buried so the whole thing doesn't kick back like that? Totally fucks your aim

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pvt. Parts posted:

I'm no Military Expert but aren't those foremost shovels supposed to already be buried so the whole thing doesn't kick back like that? Totally fucks your aim

No that's just how self-propelled guns howitzers work

https://i.imgur.com/GTsH8Ud.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Mf5xcxD.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/S0vcEW7.mp4

I think it's a different piece than the one posted a while ago

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

TOOT TOOT ALL ABOARD!

https://twitter.com/Only9built/status/1658913273687973892?s=20

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Pvt. Parts posted:

It's supposed to bury itself in on the first shot but you have to set it up properly.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

that's the funniest thing I've seen this week.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I don't even want to think about the mess they would need to clean up. I was on a ferry in bad weather and people were puking everywhere.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Does anyone know name of the song that kicks in at the end of this clip? I hear it overlaid on a lot of Ukraine war footage.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just another of those typical wind turbine trucking videos, nothing to see here.

https://i.imgur.com/midh94Q.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I don't know much about artillery but this looks to me like the arty equivalent of shooting your handgun sideways with one hand because it looks dope. Aren't those feet supposed to be dug into the ground? Is the energy loss to the recoil even significant enough to matter, or is it just a safety thing to dig the guns in so they don't move?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Poldarn posted:

Does anyone know name of the song that kicks in at the end of this clip? I hear it overlaid on a lot of Ukraine war footage.

Good Evening (Where are you from?) by PROBASS ∆ HARDI

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't know much about artillery but this looks to me like the arty equivalent of shooting your handgun sideways with one hand because it looks dope. Aren't those feet supposed to be dug into the ground? Is the energy loss to the recoil even significant enough to matter, or is it just a safety thing to dig the guns in so they don't move?

Iirc, the feet are shaped like that to dig themselves in, but the ground there looks so hard packed that the feet skate over instead of self-emplacing. The crew probably should've made a pilot hole for the feet.

I don't actually know poo poo though.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I asked a buddy of mine who's been firing artillery guns like that for the last 15 years or so what was up. It wasn't dug in properly, obviously, but it's also lacking sights and aiming points so it might be a 'drop the gun, fire a round, GTFO' situation. He noted that, from what he's seen and heard about the conflict, he believes towed artillery like this is now completely obsolete because you can get counter-batteried so quickly these days.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BlackIronHeart posted:

I asked a buddy of mine who's been firing artillery guns like that for the last 15 years or so what was up. It wasn't dug in properly, obviously, but it's also lacking sights and aiming points so it might be a 'drop the gun, fire a round, GTFO' situation. He noted that, from what he's seen and heard about the conflict, he believes towed artillery like this is now completely obsolete because you can get counter-batteried so quickly these days.

That’s an m777 howitzer and it’s definitely supposed to have the shovel claws dug in. Normally there would be like 4 or 5 dudes operating that thing in the shot, so clearly they expected it to jump.

Towed artillery is firing tens of thousands of shells per month in Ukraine. Their biggest problem is wearing out barrels faster than they can replace them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ah the quick release version when you need to drop the contraband and jet

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Look, we're not going to have another USS Vincennes incident unless we train for it

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

I feel like this was woefully overlooked.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ESDK posted:

I feel like this was woefully overlooked.

it's not overlooked, it's just a matter of perspective

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

R2-D2 sounds not present; disappointed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/SbMAKA2.mp4

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

The Management posted:

That’s an m777 howitzer and it’s definitely supposed to have the shovel claws dug in. Normally there would be like 4 or 5 dudes operating that thing in the shot, so clearly they expected it to jump.

Towed artillery is firing tens of thousands of shells per month in Ukraine. Their biggest problem is wearing out barrels faster than they can replace them.

Really? I saw a figure of ~30% casualties for the M777s received thus far, which is pretty bad no matter which way you slice it. That's why Ukraine's been trying hard to get stuff like the PzH2000 though apparently the smaller 105mm towed guns aren't getting hit as hard.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/5Aq7ij0.mp4

Vakal
May 11, 2008

That's adorably unhygienic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/4ieQ0Pa.mp4

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

OSHA doesn't have jurisdiction in Finland, but if they did, they might have something to say about this doorstop I saw in my building a few years ago.

(not a staged photo, I literally saw that while leaving for work one morning and had to stop and take a picture)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Aaaaaahahahaha owned.

Bean monke

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aww! Just boil the beans, it'll be fine!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Well done? More like Weller done.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, exactly, well done fingers

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The fact I don't feel pain helps when I soldering microelectronics with a definably macro soldering iron tip

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
This video isn't really OSHA but saw it in another thread and reminded me how I got myself good in the eye when I was a deckhand.

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ruppdd2K7R1qigfjt.mp4

So I used to work on a tow boat, which means stringing together barges, aka building tow. Here's a video of the process (only with the company I worked for we didn't have these handy winches, we had to use these giant loving heavy rear end ratchets).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQc5EwNDuNU

Anyway, you'll see these thick rear end cables/wires. Once your ratchet or winch has tightened, what you'll do is take a big metal pipe and you beat as much slack out of the wire for further tightening. You just take that pipe and smack the gently caress outta the wire. But sometimes there's too much tension in the wire and the pipe will ricochet, which isn't unusual, but one time I had my face a little too close, and this heavy metal pipe (mighta been lead, idk) came right back and smacked me in the loving eye. Hurt like a motherfucker. Had a bright periwinkle bruise there for almost two weeks. Extra OSHA for not filing an accident report.

Another fun little OSHA story about the river, my uncle, who was a towboater for years and years, got his foot completely torn off because he had stepped between two of those wires and I guess the boat musta hit something and his ankle got pinched.

One more fun fact, the lifevests you wear aren't even designed to save your life, they're designed to make your body float if you go overboard, that way your body can be found. It doesn't always work. See out on tow you aren't allowed to wear any kind of jewelry including rings because they're a safety hazard. So one guy in company I worked for (I didn't know him personally) would put his wedding band on a string on his lifevest every time he went out on tow. He goes overboard and weeks later they find a lifevest which they could confirm was his, because tied to the vest was a wedding band. They never found his body.

caspergers fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 18, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Am I a bad person that, as soon as I recognized the Tesla in the garage, was rooting for what was about to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

caspergers posted:

So one guy in company I worked for (I didn't know him personally) would put his wedding band on a string on his lifevest every time he went out on tow. He goes overboard and weeks later they find a lifevest which they could confirm was his, because tied to the vest was a wedding band. They never found his body.

Dude absolutely faked his own death.