Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Loving the Gorons walking around eating crack rocks and chilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

teemolover42069 posted:

I'm only just getting into smash ultimate, is there a thread for it? does anyone round these parts play still?

I think this is the current thread for it. Yes, the OP image makes it seem otherwise.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859844

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

hatty posted:

Already tripled Skyward Sword’s lifetime sales in a few days. I don’t think we’re ever going back to the old format lol

Skyward Sword wasn't the old format or the new format, it was a vile aberration.

And thus lmao forever at those stats.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Breath of the wild has inspired me to give skyward sword another chance. At some point. Probably after TotK. But I’m like 20 hours into BotW right now so we shall see.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey that game no one played because it sucked is going away...

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1658651118283505665?t=5aFJQrW3c4h6A8-sm9cA4A&s=19

Seriously, I enjoy Pac-Man and all, but this didn't need the 99 treatment, nor did it use it particularly well.

Bring back Mario 35 :argh:

mario 35 was still extremely well-populated right to the end, pac-man 99 was a ghost town heh within a month or two with games consisting mostly of cpus. i don't understand why they didn't monetize mario 35 with characters or some poo poo and kept it around, it was a far better fit for this format and the most fun i had in a competitive multiplayer game in ages.

in a just world they'd bring mario 35 back to replace pac-man 99.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

otter posted:

Breath of the wild has inspired me to give skyward sword another chance. At some point. Probably after TotK. But I’m like 20 hours into BotW right now so we shall see.
SS is neat but it's its own thing. in my 2022 goty writeup of the HD version i thought of it like if it came from another timeline where Zelda was a PS2 series rather than a Nintendo series. every region is its own dungeon with a dungeon inside it, and a lot of the design surrounds traversal, and it even has vague elements of 3D platforming type design (even though it's obviously not really a platformer)

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

MrQueasy posted:

What is “secret stone” in Japanese? It sounds so lame in English that I assume it’s a literal translation of something that has ideomatic or metaphoric context.

秘石, quite literally secret stone at least to my level of knowledge.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
HOW IS HE STANDING!?

The people were astonished at his doctrine builds

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

All Nintendo games that are dubbed should have an alternative language option to replace all vocals with Animal Crossing style noises no matter how weird it would be for a game's tone or aesthetics.

Sort of like how the Star Fox games had alternate voice tracks?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there is a part in the second half of TOTK with a.. character, and, i will just say, it feels like something is borked about their atk/def in a way that Nintendo did not intend and I wonder if it needs a patch. they're fine for the boss fight later, but the trek to it... not so much lol

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

A co-worker of mine has been prepping for his daughter's upcoming 5th birthday. He got her a Switch Lite and asked me for recommendations on games. He insisted on getting her a couple of Paw Patrol games (ugh), but I balanced that with a recommendation for Yoshi's Crafted World and Kirby Star Allies. (Recommended Star Allies over Forgotten Land cuz I thought it would be easier for a very young child).

I also told him when she learns to read a bit better, she can get into Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

re-release Mario 35 :argh:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

neato burrito posted:

re-release Mario 35 :argh:

The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for having limited access to different games.

As for limited availability, we selected initial values based upon data from the play test window and other adjustments made to milestone rewards before launch. Among other things, we’re looking at average per-player time played on a daily basis, and we’ll be making constant adjustments to ensure that players have games that are compelling, rewarding, and of course attainable via gameplay.

We appreciate the candid feedback, and the passion the community has put forth around the current topics here on Reddit, our forums and across numerous social media outlets.

Our team will continue to make changes and monitor community feedback and update everyone as soon and as often as we can.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
They can't, it was mario 35 because of the 35th anniversary. What, are they going to release mario 35 when the franchise has been around for 36, 37 years??? Hell's wrong with you

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
dw they're dropping a sequel for mario's 69th anniversary

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I feel a sense of pride and accomplishment from buying a video game that's no longer on sale.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

They can't, it was mario 35 because of the 35th anniversary. What, are they going to release mario 35 when the franchise has been around for 36, 37 years??? Hell's wrong with you

I'm flummoxed that there's a game out there that people want to play but can't.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I have a Switch. I haven't played a Zelda since Link to The Past. Should I buy the new Zelda, or buy Breath of The Wild first?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

play TOTK

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
top o the kingdom to ya

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Play BOTW anyway because it’s great and you’ll have twice as much game to play if you also get TOTK after

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
play botw first

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wonder if TotK would be overwhelming if you don’t have base knowledge of BotW

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The sense of freedom in regular BotW is unparalleled.

TotK lets you do cooler things but it feels less magical. And it's a little more guided.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you have an absolute ton of extra time, play BotW first. If your gaming time is more limited, I'd skip to TotK. Both can be huge time sinks, depending on how addicted you may get.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Switch. I haven't played a Zelda since Link to The Past. Should I buy the new Zelda, or buy Breath of The Wild first?

Buy Links Awakening

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TOTK doesn't super care about the events of the previous game aside from you meeting people you fought alongside in BOTW and a painting in Impa's house in Kakariko Village. TOTK introduces the central conflict of the game within the first 5 minutes and that's what everyone is focused on in the world.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
trying to play botw for the first time after playing totk ifrst is going to feel like half the game has been torn out

Hammer Bro. posted:

The sense of freedom in regular BotW is unparalleled.

TotK lets you do cooler things but it feels less magical. And it's a little more guided.

yup this. except literally the exac t opposite.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’ll spoil BotW for you so you can play TotK:

You beat Gannon and collect 900 small golden shits for a big golden poo poo.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
125 hour TotK horse preloader

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I do miss guardians though. Iconic.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
TotK makes BotW obsolete like Mario Galaxy 2 did to 1. Only buy BotW if you can get it below $20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

collect 900 small golden shits for a big golden poo poo.

sounds like reading your posts xD

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s a bad take, they’re both equally worth playing unless you only have like 40 hours of gaming time left in your entire life and you absolutely need to fill it with the most current hotness

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's an even worse take because you obviously don't know how much time you have left and you will usually probably die in the next few hours and should always live your life like it's your final moments.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Khanstant posted:

That's an even worse take because you obviously don't know how much time you have left and you will usually probably die in the next few hours and should always live your life like it's your final moments.

I’m going to die gaming in my death bed since the switch is portable.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I played BOTW and it was awesome and I'm playing TOTK and its even better

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

You can jump over head-high walls in TotK.

yeah but TotK's horses are stopped dead in their tracks by a single pebble.

wheras Elden Ring allows me to pick plants from horseback

Sakurazuka posted:

Buy Links Awakening
its free on the NSO Gameboy thing. Just play that one cause I can't see how the new coat of paint is worth 60$ (It's a nice coat of paint Ill give you that.)

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Letting you use more that two buttons is worth $60 imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:mad: