Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's all work and no play for el capitan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

So is it possible to sling around the culture and laws until you have a cannibal blood sacrifice cult with an idle nobility, or is that roughly a hundred years too early?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Faith and Spiritual Strength! Hope is a the strongest support on the road toward the future.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Order

Listen, we all know how this is gonna go, it's creepy cult cops versus regular cops and I'd rather have the one with less adjectives.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Order.

Religion is the opiate of the masses. None of that in the new world.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Faith, these people need hope and happiness, not commands and punishments.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

stryth posted:

Faith, these people need hope and happiness, not commands and punishments.

Right, because if there's one thing religion is not known for is command(ment)s and punishments :eyeroll:

I honestly can't tell if that's :thejoke:

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Faith, because we may as well give people something to hope for. If the sun really is dimming and we're not sure this will end well, better to tap into the absurd hope for tomorrow than militant efficiency.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Order Order in the colonies

I feel like somewhere else in the normal run it mentions that people set off for the colonies and those expeditions were never heard from again.

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Faith

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Order

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Twelve

It is clear what must be done to avoid succumbing to the same fate as Winterhome. I must demonstrate strong leadership for the good of our society. There must be Order.

There will be a new chapter added to our Book of Laws: Purpose. The first and only law available in it is Neighbourhood Watch, which will let us erect watchtowers to ensure that peace is kept.

We can see distant glimmers of sun reflected on the surface of water. Unfrozen water here points to the presence of freshwater springs.

Scout unit one was about to return home when they spotted what they believe to be liquid water not too far away. This is intriguing - hot springs could be quite a boon for us. The team takes a slight detour to check it out.

Several big tents. No signs of life. A flag flies over them - the American flag! Even from this distance we couldn't mistake the Stars and Stripes.

Stranger still, a lookout on the Beacon spotted this American camp about a day away from us. Though it appears abandoned now, we can't help but wonder what in the world they were doing out here! Scout unit two is dispatched to investigate.

Sir, you've convinced the majority, but hope is low. A group of our people are still so scared that they want to flee the city for London in 15 days. They've come to try to change your mind.
"You say order will save us? Nonsense! What, are we going to orderly decide who to eat first when we start to starve?! If we don't try to reach London, we'll end up like Winterhome!"

Watching the scout team depart seems to have given some of our number an idea. Though most are pleased to see order return to our civilization, a few troublemakers have gotten it into their heads to abandon the city and return to London.

Your people are divided. Some of them are so scared that they plan to leave the city for London in 15 days. They'll try to convince others to join them, preying on their discontent.
Fear may lead people to desperate acts. Maintain peace, give people hope and manage their discontent to guide the city safely through the looming social crisis.

Calling themselves the "Londoners," this new faction numbers only 19 as yet but will have no trouble convincing more to join them given our current hope level.

Building the care house is the first step in rebuilding our shattered hope.

Several pools are kept from freezing by a hot spring deep underground. Patches of hardy lichens cling to the bare rock at their edges. It looks like a good place for a hideout.

Near the freshwater springs we met some refugees from Winterhome. They are a sorry sight, and seem to be completely unmoved by the fate of their city. Asked what kept them from starving, they look away, then mumble something about eating lichens.

At the hot springs the scouts make a grim first contact with the people of Winterhome. As far as we can tell, these seven children and twenty-two adults are the only survivors left from there. The scouts are bringing them to our city but they report that their new friends have been tight-lipped on the subject of the fate of their city. Perhaps some day in the future they will open up enough to share with us the story of the Fall of Winterhome.

Sir, the people who want to leave for London have successfully urged their friends and neighbours to join them. People are more easily persuaded, because they have little hope in our ultimate survival.

The Londoners have been recruiting overnight, and by the morning eight desperate citizens have joined their number.

There is now a dangerous division among our people.

I had ordered two new sawmills built overnight, and in the morning the researchers had given me their plans to increase the efficiency of those mills. Hopefully this will alleviate our wood shortage for the time being.

Not long after, these plans cross my desk - the ruins of Winterhome and its coal mine are vast untapped troves of resources that our scouts would not be able to make a dent in with just their sleds. We will now be able to establish more permanent outposts at those sites which would send us regular shipments of wood and/or coal. The scientists are now working on a new design for the scout sleds which will allow the teams to cover ground much faster.

I must raise the people's hope. These watchtowers are strategically placed to watch for any trouble or brewing unrest.

There's not a living soul in the camp. We found about a dozen emaciated bodies. Surprisingly, most of them were amputees fitted with prostheses.

The American camp was well supplied with everything except food. Searching the tents we found more victims of hunger. Most of them have badly worn but sophisticated artificial limbs bearing a company symbol: "Tesla Manufacturing." We can only bury them and take their equipment.

A fresh mystery awaited us at the American camp, where the scouts discovered the starved bodies of a number of people outfitted with these "Tesla Manufacturing" prosthetics. There are no records to shed a light on exactly what happened here, but:

We can see two rows of small wooden huts, but no smoke or other signs of life. All in all it looks like a well-kept, but temporary settlement.

There is another settlement not too far out, which looks abandoned as well. There were clearly other people out here in Frostland besides those of the Pit and Winterhome, though it looks as though we were too late to save these ones.

Slowly, step by weary step, our hope is returning. Before too long, morning comes, and with it, the time for another vote. We have two new options available for Purpose:

Morning Gathering will raise our hope when signed, and then continue to raise hope every day after that. This law takes 18 hours to cool down, and leads to the Foreman law. Alternatively, we could upgrade our watchtowers into Guard Stations, which will not only lower discontent and raise hope to those living near them, but also give us the ability to disperse violent demonstrations. After 36 hours this leads to Patrol, Propaganda Center, and Prison.

Of course, we also still have our Adaptation options available as well: House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Ceremonial Funerals, and Triage.

As of today, I am also giving every voter a new option to exercise in the polls: You may now give a None of the Above response if you feel that none of our available options represent our ideals. In the case of a None vote, I will wait a number of days before calling another poll, to see if the mood has changed.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

Remalle fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 17, 2023

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Morning Gathering

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Morning gathering

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

implement standup meetings

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Guard Stations

I feel the londoners are going to cause real problems soon

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Guard Stations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Morning Gathering.

All else aside, it's a passive that works better the sooner you sign it.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

Regallion posted:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Regallion posted:

Become an Agile coach.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

NewMars posted:

Morning Gathering.

All else aside, it's a passive that works better the sooner you sign it.

This

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Morning Gathering because we don't really want to be a police state right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regallion posted:

Discontent rises dramatically

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Morning gathering

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Morning Gathering, I think. Have the health and safety people go over their briefings, which is a very British thing to do, I imagine.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Morning Gathering

We want ways to boost Hope - that's super useful.

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Captain's Log, Day Thirteen
To ensure that all citizens are kept on the same page about our goals and stay true to our ideals, mandatory morning gatherings will now be held at the beginning of every work day.

The meetings will continue until morale improves!

We see the impact almost immediately, as the number of Londoners has increased by only four overnight compared to nine yesterday.

Tensions continue to rise between the Londoners and everybody else, however.

Meanwhile, our scientists have figured out which parts of our scouts' sleds can be removed to shed weight, and what can be reconfigured immediately in the field, to increase the speed at which they traverse Frostland.

Scout team one returns with twenty-nine people, three steam cores, and several heaping mounds of coal in tow. This actually puts us over capacity for coal, and production in the mines briefly pauses as we try to get the stockpiles organized.

A tall snow cliff. There's a hole in it, and it's inhabited - we can see a lone figure bustling about.

A small grove of several dozen trees.

Even with the lightened sleds, it will still take over two days for the team to reach the snow cliff where we can see a lone survivor. They head for the frozen grove first, as it's more or less on the way.

The settlements seems to have been abandoned. It consists of several tidy wooden shacks that are now completely empty. An upright boulder stands at its centre.

The centre of the settlement is marked with an upright boulder. On its roughly planed face someone chiseled the following: "May God forgive the genius who sacrificed human lives in the name of progress, for we can't. Exiles of Tesla City."
We won't touch the monument, but we decide to dismantle the huts for wood.

It appears the bodies we found were attached to a place called Tesla City. Are we the only city left in this blasted wasteland that has not already collapsed?

A small village on the shore of the frozen sea. A reflection is visible there. Could it be open water?

A sizeable settlement surrounded by a low wall made of stone, ice, and snow. No movement, no smoke.

There are enough abandoned settlements out here that we have to resort to a coin flip to decide which to explore first! Nobody can find a coin, though, so we send the scouts off to the walled colony on the advice of a tossed lump of coal.

We have five hunter's huts operating now, each of which once employed fifteen people each. By improving our tactics out in the field they now only require ten people apiece, meaning we now have twenty-five workers available to work a day shift again. Because our daily coal income is actually slightly negative, I get the engineers looking into a way to improve our generator's efficiency next.

Our first sawmill has finally cut down all of the wood in its vicinity, which frees up another ten workers. I order a third coal mine built, as well as another sawmill and workshop - when we have the resources available I hope to get an outpost depot or two set up as well.

Numerous snow shelters expertly built from blocks of hard-packed snow huddle around cold, burned-out campfires. A deathly silence hangs over the colony.

Some of exiles
[sic] are still alive, just barely. We could try to bring them to our city, although they might die on the way.
One of the dying held a diary to his chest. We read the last entry: "Exiled from Tesla City, with food and fuel running out, we sent the strongest among us to search for help. They're out last hope." We're afraid this refers to those poor Yankees we buried.

A full sixty are still alive here, who must be the exiles from the last site the team explored. If ours is truly the only city left, we will bring as many souls as we can in from the cold.

We pulled the dying exiles from their snow houses and prepared them for the journey to our city. Some of them stirred from their deathlike slumber to bless their absent friends for bringing help. We couldn't tell them the truth. Not yet.

What in the world happened at Tesla City? Why were these people exiled into the ice and wind? Once the scouts return with the survivors, we must try to find this place and find out what happened.

After upgrading this steelworks with steam power, I order it to work an emergency shift. The workers are compensated with five extra rations.

When the refugees arrive, we will number over three hundred. Before they get here, we must take another vote. We have a new option available after the last one implemented:

Foreman will let us increase the efficiency of a single workplace by 40% for 24 hours. This costs ten rations, extra motivation for the workers. This will have no effect on hope or discontent, nor does it lead to any further laws; it will take 18 hours to sign another law afterward. We still have all of our other options in Purpose and Adaptation available, as well as the None of the Above option.

How will we vote to maintain Order?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morning Gatherings

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Guard Stations. We need more coppers.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

General Revil posted:

Morning Gatherings

we JUST passed that

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
Guard stations

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Guard Stations.

And it might be good to get adaptation stuff as a list instead of a screenshot?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Guard Station

Being able to actively raise hope seems useful to use immediately with the londoners and the foreman can be next

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Don't we still need Ceremonial Funerals?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

NewMars posted:

Guard Stations.

And it might be good to get adaptation stuff as a list instead of a screenshot?

House of Pleasure, Duelling Law, Extended Shift, Ceremonial Funerals, and Triage are still available.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mechanics talk regarding the first section of the game, without spoiling anything plot related: Your hope craters to a more-less set level when you discover the fate of Winterhome. This is why it's preferable to take the hope tanking adaptation laws (that you intended to take anyway) before you discover it, and leave the hope raising laws for later if you don't need them right now.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
We have surplus labor labour and more on the way. Let's make guards out of them.

Right now we're less a community than a hodgepodge of refugee groups. We're basically trying to build a common identity out of nothing. And what brings people together more than hating the government?

Mechanical Ape fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 18, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Don't we still need Ceremonial Funerals?

I agree.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

vetinari100 posted:

Guard stations

I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Aw man. I'm not sure about any of these.

Triage, just to be different.