Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed Rogue One, but Stellan Skarsgård’s big speech in Andor is better than anything in Rogue One Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

:hmmyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed Rogue One, but Stellan Skarsgård’s big speech in Andor is better than anything in Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANo-qV__Rw

It owns that this speech, which is the best speech in Star Wars, was preceded in the same episode by a speech that is also the best speech in Star Wars. Then two episodes later we get an even better speech. God drat Andor was so good

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Edward's three movies so far have all been pretty thin on story and character, but visually dazzling enough that I enjoyed them.

I expect this to be the same. I'm not likely to care about these characters, but it's gonna a be pretty enough to get me into the theater.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

kiimo posted:

I loved Rogue One it baffles me why people don't like it

The characters suck and Donnie Yen shoulda done way more cool poo poo. Very pretty movie though.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I mean RO is better than JJ’s movies at least. But yeah it’s barely a functional movie and has that lovely Vader hallway scene. Ugh

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it feels soulless to me and like none of the characters left any sort of impression, that andor show looks like it might be what i actually wanted out of rogue one so i should get around to watching it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

star bores

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I always forget about the CG corpse actors in RO until I rewatch it. I think that and the pretty flimsy soundtrack are what drag it down the most. Those loving ghouls are so creepy.

But drat it's so pretty. All the new planets they go to are top-notch SW locales.

Snooze Cruise posted:

it feels soulless to me and like none of the characters left any sort of impression, that andor show looks like it might be what i actually wanted out of rogue one so i should get around to watching it

You really, really should.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

if you get to like episode 4 and you're thinking where is this going I think this just isn't for me, just relax and revel in the fact that for once a Star Wars plot isn't super predictable and just let it take you on the twists and turns.

By episode 10 you will be openly weeping.

edit: I want to say more. Even the characters aren't predictable and don't really fall into common tropes where the writers just get lazy and fill in the blanks. The bad guys aren't mustache twirlers and are fascinating studies in fascism. There's a cop and you're going to be like okay i know where his story is going and then all of a sudden he's eating cereal while his mother slowly twists the knife in him and you'll be like okay this is kind of wild I may need to rewatch this whole season.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I’m a hater of all new stars wars but Andor absolutely ruled.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I was born in the perfect window to never care about Star Wars. I was too young for the OT and was the oldest kid in my family so had no older siblings or cousins into them. And I was an adult when the PT came out.

So I have zero childhood nostalgia for any of it except for the TV movie with Ewoks and Wilford Brimley

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Andor is so head and shoulders above stuff like the Mandalorian, I almost can’t believe they managed to make a Star Wars show that good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
At this point they should give Gilroy a blank check to just remake Rogue One for the ground up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

teagone posted:

The characters suck and Donnie Yen shoulda done way more cool poo poo. Very pretty movie though.

Donnie Yen probably agrees. His idea that Chirrut is blind, and then Caine in John Wick 4 is blind too.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Donnie Yen probably agrees. His idea that Chirrut is blind, and then Caine in John Wick 4 is blind too.

He's said that the character was even worse in the script and that he'd only do it if he could give notes.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah it’s criminal that they wasted Donnie Yen in that film. Lotta strikes against the movie really. But, so pretty. It also led to Greig Fraser working on Dune and his work was great there too.

I hope the writers strike doesn’t negatively affect Andor too badly. Gilroy had to remove himself from most of his duties on the show about halfway throug photography.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Slotducks posted:

you think that's bad? christopher nolan nuked a small developing nation for oppenheimer

one of this thread's finest moments

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Colonel Whitey posted:

I mean RO is better than JJ’s movies at least. But yeah it’s barely a functional movie and has that lovely Vader hallway scene. Ugh

why is the vader hallway scene lovely? sure its very fanservicey (it is late stage star wars at the end of the day) but it was the first time vader actually felt like a horrifying murder machine. like part of his backstory was that he hunted down and killed a bunch of surviving Jedi right? you can see how from that scene more than in the OT.

not sure if the cartoon series even depicted vader doing something similar, never saw any of them.

like compare vader in RO to vader in the obi wan series, its borderline comical how lovely the character is in the latter.

e: the vader castle scene in RO is the real cringe and feels incredibly out of place

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe
I liked Oblivion, and the The Creator looks better than that, so I'm looking forward to this.

Rogue One is better than the last six mainline movies and better than any other of the standalones.

Andor is a better but different look at the Star Wars Universe.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed Rogue One, but Stellan Skarsgård’s big speech in Andor is better than anything in Rogue One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANo-qV__Rw

It’s comfortably better than anything else in non-Andor Star Wars while still being surpassed by the show’s other two big character-defining speeches by Andy Serkis and Fiona Shaw.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

GhastlyBizness posted:

It’s comfortably better than anything else in non-Andor Star Wars while still being surpassed by the show’s other two big character-defining speeches by Andy Serkis and Fiona Shaw.

People are also forgetting Nemik's manifesto speech, because that show has FOUR character-defining speeches that are the best things in all of Star Wars.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

this film is surreal. it feels like every second shot is something out of rogue one, and i'm pretty sure they just cgi'd over some footage from that beirut explosion a while back. it looks really good but it also feels weird. "chatgpt, make me a trailer for a sci-fi action film about the dangers of AI in the style of gareth edwards, rogue one, gritty, robots, space station, near future"

edit:

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 18, 2023

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's weird that JDW's name appears nowhere in the trailer

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LOL look that the length of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f42c4nNzs4

Edit: Mattpatt says the teaser has better cinematography than an MCU movie. He's a real one.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 18, 2023

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

this film is surreal. it feels like every second shot is something out of rogue one, and i'm pretty sure they just cgi'd over some footage from that beirut explosion a while back. it looks really good but it also feels weird. "chatgpt, make me a trailer for a sci-fi action film about the dangers of AI in the style of gareth edwards, rogue one, gritty, robots, space station, near future"

edit:

what the heck

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Horizon Burning posted:

edit:

: O

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Can I just say I loving adore that there are more shots of “Tom Cruise running” in this trailer than can be counted on one hand

They know

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rogue One loving rules. Yeah, it's chopped to poo poo but what's there is real loving good. It looks beautiful. I would love to see the proper cut one day but Gilroy said NO on that.

That's fine.

Creator looks great tho.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it's weird that JDW's name appears nowhere in the trailer

Excised because test audiences would immediately fall asleep and miss the rest of the trailer.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
We interrupt this program

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG0si5bSd6I

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Dang

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes please I will be watching this

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Less star wars chat more of this please

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wow that looks amazing. Can't wait for the conservative backlash lol. "Why you gotta make white people look bad?"

But drat that's a great trailer. "Can you find the wolves in this picture?" Danggggg

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Wow that looks amazing. Can't wait for the conservative backlash lol. "Why you gotta make white people look bad?"

But drat that's a great trailer. "Can you find the wolves in this picture?" Danggggg

No doubt! The restatement of that line after the quick succession of violence-filled scenes (with the money falling shot) and the line on-screen about greed is giving me chills.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scorcese in Makes Good Movie shocker.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bows1 posted:

Less star wars chat more of this please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003