Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

So, I figure this must be true otherwise why would Disney keep the series alive. But creating a full 20+ episode season still seems like an expensive advertising method to me. Surely they can whip together some short videos or highly abridged mini-seasons to “keep that conversation going”.

we discussed this a good few pages back, but the short (and shockingly straightforward) answer is that despite its decline in ratings and writing, the show is by far and away the most popular show on fox right now. nothing else comes remotely close.

SlothfulCobra posted:

But also there was one VA who did leave the show for a little while over a pay dispute, and that's why they killed off Maude Flanders

wait...

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

WAIT

is THAT why they killed off maude? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just looked it up. The person playing basically every other woman in the show was only getting paid a few grand an episode while people who only voiced Simpsons family characters were getting paid hundreds of thousands an episode.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I just looked it up. The person playing basically every other woman in the show was only getting paid a few grand an episode while people who only voiced Simpsons family characters were getting paid hundreds of thousands an episode.

drat, that's crazy. i never even made the connection that the voice of maude wasn't even on the show doing other voices anymore

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Mr Interweb posted:

I thought this was pretty common knowledge, especially among posters in a Simpsons thread, but then I remembered that I'm a huge geek about everything even remotely related to voice acting so, alas. Her non-Maude characters came back iirc, and Maude has come back at least a couple of times as a ghost and/or in retcon flashbacks.

That said,

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I had no idea that the pay differential was THAT severe. :stare: How did they justify that? Did they even try?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I guess the main cast didn't have that same solidarity for her, huh

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

we discussed this a good few pages back, but the short (and shockingly straightforward) answer is that despite its decline in ratings and writing, the show is by far and away the most popular show on fox right now. nothing else comes remotely close.

This is not even close though, FOX's stuff during the week is pretty competitive, and then their weekend animation block just gets horrible ratings. I went back a week even since the NBA playoffs skewed things even more this past Sunday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

WHAT
I love Next Level Chef

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr Interweb posted:

It didn't even do that well in the ratings in its heyday

quote:

wait...

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

WAIT

They wouldn't let her record her lines in Denver where she lived so she was having to fly to LA to do it and they weren't even paying for her airfare. She asked for a raise (somewhat to help cover the rising cost of plan tickets) and they fired her.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cyril Sneer posted:

WHAT
I love Next Level Chef

You're forgetting your station in life. You should be perfectly content enjoying the chef at your current level. :colbert:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Saucer Crab posted:

This is not even close though, FOX's stuff during the week is pretty competitive, and then their weekend animation block just gets horrible ratings. I went back a week even since the NBA playoffs skewed things even more this past Sunday.

huh seems you're right:

https://tvline.com/2022/12/30/best-worst-fox-shows-tv-ratings-2022-2023/

and of course, i never heard of these top 3 shows listed here..

PostNouveau posted:

They wouldn't let her record her lines in Denver where she lived so she was having to fly to LA to do it and they weren't even paying for her airfare. She asked for a raise (somewhat to help cover the rising cost of plan tickets) and they fired her.

wow, that's tremendously petty

all this time i thought they killed her just cause they wanted to massively shake things up/be intentionally shocking

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Maggie Roswell got rehired after just four years apparently. I actually never knew she got rehired until recently as I stopped watching the show around those years.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

wow, that's tremendously petty

all this time i thought they killed her just cause they wanted to massively shake things up/be intentionally shocking

To be fair, that was probably most of it on the showrunner side. It would've been possible to recast Maude like they did with the VA's other characters, and it would've been possible to have Maude just not talk, but the fact that the VA left and they'd have to otherwise downplay the character made it an easier decision.

All the sources I've seen describe the pay dispute as being "with Fox" as opposed to the showrunners, and that's just the way the biz is sometimes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/hulu/status/1659235000057724943

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ugggggh.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

why

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

3 revivals, 4 series finales, the show cannot be killed by mortal men

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

None of the creators or writers had anything better to do?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Nothing is allowed to end anymore and nothing new is going to start.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FrumpleOrz posted:

Nothing is allowed to end anymore and nothing new is going to start.

Hey it's not all bad, when were all old and our memories are all gone all the tv and movies will still seem really familiar!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I’m still using my Fighting Mongooses gang tag, but no way am I watching that. I did a watch at the beginning of Covid, and even the original series didn’t hold up to the gold standard it once had for me. Some episodes you could just feel the generational difference from the writers and the audience.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

When I culled my physical movie collection a couple years ago, I apparently had all of the post-FOX seasons of Futurama including the four movies on DVD. I absolutely do not and could not remember purchasing and/or watching any of them, but they were out of the plastic and seemed like they were watched at least once :psyduck:

They were the first discs to go into the thrifting box.

Now I see that tweet and my mind instantaneously cried out
and groaned. I mean, I physically heard the groan in my brain somehow.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Late Philip J. Fry is one of the only really good episodes from Futurama's second run, as good as any of the classics from the original four seasons. The rest of the episodes I barely remember.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Leela has a sentient boil on her butt cheek that sings. The boil is named Susan Boil.

I wish I made that up, but I didn’t :suicide:

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
we're going to get like two really good episodes, three on the level of that saturday morning cartoon one or that boil one, and 15 you're going to completely forget existed a year after watching like the one where bender works on a railroad

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

You Are A Elf posted:

Leela has a sentient boil on her butt cheek that sings. The boil is named Susan Boil.

Really might be one of the worst episodes of television ever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The Late Philip J. Fry is one of the only really good episodes from Futurama's second run, as good as any of the classics from the original four seasons. The rest of the episodes I barely remember.

Thought the da vinci one was alright as well. Think there was like three-four good ones and a the rest of stuff just seemed like they were going through the motions of trying to be a futurama epsiode. The Late Philip J. Fry was indeed a legit futurama classic.

Not going to watch the new series but I'm sure people will mention here if there's any similar stand out episodes to watch.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Speaking of resolving pay disputes...

Later Futurama is both cringey about future jokes where they try to make fun of/celebrate modern technology that the aging writers don't really understand, and when it tried to have heart, it was stuck in a weird rut where most of the characters couldn't get much more development and the writers kept trying to keep a treadmill going of Fry and Lila being about to get into a relationship, but never actually doing it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Fry and leelas relationship was really confusing in the later seasons as the writers would just randomly go back and forth between if they were dating or not between episodes seemingly randomly.

like obviously continuity wasn't ever something futurama really cared that much about, but than sometimes they would try and make it seem like their relationship was meant to be something really important that we should care about. It's just sort of like if the writers don't care about the relationship why would the audience?

Sort of like with the simpsons. They've done so many different versions of "oh no homer was a jerk and now the simpsons marriage is in trouble!!! oh everything just sort of resolved itself out of nowhere in the last two minutes, all good folks!" why would anyone still care?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Speaking of resolving pay disputes...

Later Futurama is both cringey about future jokes where they try to make fun of/celebrate modern technology that the aging writers don't really understand, and when it tried to have heart, it was stuck in a weird rut where most of the characters couldn't get much more development and the writers kept trying to keep a treadmill going of Fry and Lila being about to get into a relationship, but never actually doing it.

It's extraordinarily weird when they try to comment on technology fads of the present in the setting of the year 3000. That awful Susan Boil episode also had all the characters going nuts for the new eyePhone (a phone you jam into your eye). It's the source of that "shut up and take my money" meme.

In the last season, Fry and Leela actually were a couple, although she acted like she was about an inch from dumping him every episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
One of the things I hated the most in the new seasons was the writers jamming in sleazy poo poo. There are episodes where all the genders of the cast are switched and the new women do a sexy calendar shoot, one where Amy and Leela start taking steroids and double-team Fry, one where Zapp starts dating Leela's mom and Leela does a loving pole dance to try and test whether he's just using her mother to get to her. Probably more I can't remember, but you get a real "writing with one hand" vibe from some of those episodes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Don’t forget the episode with the fake Garden of Eden. That one has Zapp and Leela trapped, gradually getting naked, and eventually having sex while everyone watched on. Including a robot acting like god giving it’s literal approval.

Oh yeah, and an episode where Fry and Leela go to a resort, but it’s a zoo run by monkeys that watch humans have sex.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Oh yeah, and an episode where Fry and Leela go to a resort, but it’s a zoo run by monkeys that watch humans have sex.

This one was at least pretty good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PostNouveau posted:

It's extraordinarily weird when they try to comment on technology fads of the present in the setting of the year 3000.

The great thing about the original FOX run of the show is that all the technology we had in the 2000s was exactly the same as technology in the year 3000, only with Jetsons fins and Spacely Space Sprockets. All the poo poo we fantasized about in sci-fi pulp magazines from the 1950s came true and looked the part, and no one in 3000 ever gave it any thought.

The newer seasons threw all that out the window with that loving eyePhone garbage and any other mention of technology. Such a tired trope of spoofing Apple like the Simpsons did with “Mapple” and Steve Mobs.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

FrumpleOrz posted:

Really might be one of the worst episodes of television ever.

:agreed: I can't shut the gently caress up about how much I hate it either.

me, Feb 27 2017 posted:

It still bugs the poo poo out of me that the boil episode ends with Leela apologizing to Fry after he humiliates her, and her ignoring that he reeks of goat vomit to hug him. Fry and Leela should have been a terrible couple born of Leela's abysmal self-esteem at best, not anything the audience was meant to root for.

me, Nov 27 2018 posted:

the susan boyle episode was the one that made me quit futurama altogether

me, Apr 11 2019 posted:

i'm STILL mad at the susan boyle episode. gently caress that episode.

me, Nov 28 2020 posted:

The Susan Boyle episode crushed my soul even harder than Italian Bob.

me, Dec 29 2020 posted:

I still remember that moment, when I watched The Italian Bob. It was just a sad, sinking feeling -- just, wrong. I had that feeling when I saw the "Susan" boil episode of Futurama, the feeling of being forced to let go.

And that's just in this thread. It's like a tradition! I'm 100% sure that I called it the worst episode of television I've ever seen & unfavorably compared it to Allen Gregory on at least one occasion, but that's enough effort for today.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah that was just a really horrible episode. Characters felt badly written and mean in an ugly way and it just felt bad to watch.

Some shows can pull off that sort of humour, futurama really can't.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ Also they cannot NOT have known that it would age like milk. Like no shade on the person but did they really think Susan Boyle would be a name anyone would remember even a year later?

That show Hello Tomorrow is a pretty good take on the "what if 50s/Jetsons tech" vibe incidentally. Midcentury tailfin cars but hovering, pneumatic tube communications, robot bartenders, insta-pot-roast cookers.

It's basically live-action Futurama

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Susan Boil episode REALLY tainted the reputation of the revival episodes. Most of them are watchable but not memorable.

That said, I don't think even classic Futurama has held up spectacularly. An awful lot of it does that post-good Simpsons thing where they acknowledge the jokes and explain them, as if constantly trying to assert that it's funny, smart, and clever. Or there's often: "I certainly hope (thing) doesn't happen!" *(thing) happens*, that type of humor. For me it's more of a thing I remember fondly but don't really care to revisit today. Whereas I've still yet to get tired of revisiting good Simpsons era episodes a few times a year.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’ve been rewatching Futurama for the first time in a while & am still upbeat about it as I’m only up to season 4, positives include how nice the animation looks and the delightful voice acting. Not without its flaws but the early seasons were solid & while not quite up there with heavyweight prime Simpsons and King of the Hill they are fun.

One thing that seems uncomfortable to modern eyes (& I don’t know if it’s already been addressed or is a tired talking point) is how Bender is a robot voiced by a white guy but is often coded as having African American mannerisms like complaining about female robot “sisters” dating humans, attending a robot church whose minster is a Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton parody, when told to work complains “Yes, Miz Leela, tote that space barge, lift that space bale.”

Combined with Bender’s mannerisms of constant crime, drinking, seeking to scam welfare, etc wondering if that was a symptom of a Harvard writers room not having the best judgment about stereotypes.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

I think that's also the episode that has the goat with 2 heads that vomits into a pool that Fry jumps into for [whatever app was tiktok at the time here] views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve been rewatching Futurama for the first time in a while & am still upbeat about it as I’m only up to season 4

Unless you specifically want to re-experience the fall of the simpsons, then consider the season 4 ending (Devil's Hands) to be the series finale, and do not watch the rest of the run. MAYBE the thread can come up with a couple episodes from the later runs for you to treat as an epilogue, but if you keep watching past season 4 you only signing up for disappointment at best

E: missed that it was a rewatch