Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

BrianWilly posted:

At what point did Disney+ Marvel Studios Production The Falcon and the Winter Soldier give y'all any indication whatsoever that Sam Wilson and James Buchanan Barnes had any sexual interest in each other at all

Friendship is inherently sexual, you prude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gavok posted:

Going to watch a Shield triple feature of Captain America: New World Order, Hobbs & Shaw, and 12 Rounds 3: Lockdown.

Any triple feature with Hobbs and Shaw as the middle film sounds loving dire

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

BrianWilly posted:

At what point did Disney+ Marvel Studios Production The Falcon and the Winter Soldier give y'all any indication whatsoever that Sam Wilson and James Buchanan Barnes had any sexual interest in each other at all

The absence of overt sexuality between two characters won’t stop the shippers any time soon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrianWilly posted:

Two men showed some level of intimacy to each other so…

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The closest thing to queerbait in that show was what, that one scene where the psychologist made them scoot real close to each other? Man I hated that scene, why didn't Wilson just say "No, you aren't my doctor, and I'm not active duty military so I don't take orders from you anyway" in the first place? I guess so a scene could happen.

Edit: Okay I actually liked the scene, I just hated that hacky setup for it.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 17, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

theironjef posted:

The closest thing to queerbait in that show was what, that one scene where the psychologist made them scoot real close to each other? Man I hated that scene, why didn't Wilson just say "No, you aren't my doctor, and I'm not active duty military so I don't take orders from you anyway" in the first place? I guess so a scene could happen.

Wouldn't be very Captain America-y.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 17, 2023

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Really liked all the write-ups by actual psychologists explaining all the things wrong with that scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Joe Fisto posted:

The absence of overt sexuality between two characters won’t stop the shippers any time soon.
Oh for sure, and I too would like nothing more than to see Bucky *** Sam's ********* with the ******* and **** *** ** ***** as **** **** twice.

Sadly, I also think the internet collectively isn't allowed to use the word "queerbait" anymore until they learn what it actually means :sweatdrop:. Also included in the banlist are "gaslight" and "grooming."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

theironjef posted:

Some folks also got out over their skis when Bucky complained about seeing lots of pictures of people with tigers on dating apps, and when someone asked the head writer about it he gave a vague answer (because at that point saying anything concrete would get him shot by Marvel snipers) that got people even more wound up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Some folks also got out over their skis when Bucky complained about seeing lots of pictures of people with tigers on dating apps, and when someone asked the head writer about it he gave a vague answer (because at that point saying anything concrete would get him shot by Marvel snipers) that got people even more wound up.

Did that turn into something after like 2017? I remember that it was a thing Tinder had to crack down on because all the straight dudes were taking selfies with tigers for some dumb reason and it was fueling the illegal big cat market, but even as a big bi dude fairly aware of the animal pride terms, tiger doesn't ring a bell to me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...tigers? Is this something I'm gonna regret googling?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Bruceski posted:

...tigers? Is this something I'm gonna regret googling?

Probably not, you'll mostly just come up with that story about tinder I mentioned a minute ago. A few journalists started noticing that a ton of straight single guys were posting selfies with tigers as their profile pics, and some brief hay was made of it before the site cracked down on pics with poorly housed animals or whatever. I think some folks at the time were trying to make an argument that a tiger selfie meant you were into "kink." Like just generic kink.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

The scene where they did the 'love interests tumble over and land on top of each other for sexual tension' thing?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like the current “just kiss!” and insisting it’s a sexual thing any time a couple of guys show some intimacy to each other is a mirror of the homophobia I grew up with where any time a guy showed any degree of vulnerability it was “You’re so gay!” People should be free to love who they love romantically, sexually, and platonically. And it would be a positive if we just let dudes be close without people inferring more into it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, part of it is that we're still drastically underserved in terms of male major protagonists who are into each other, and any "just kiss" reaction has to be viewed in light of the fact that the market is completely glutted with heterosexual relationships and people are starving for good gay stuff.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Joe Fisto posted:

See (or rather for the love of god do not) Supernatural fans

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, part of it is that we're still drastically underserved in terms of male major protagonists who are into each other, and any "just kiss" reaction has to be viewed in light of the fact that the market is completely glutted with heterosexual relationships and people are starving for good gay stuff.

I can understand and respect that. But I also think we’re kind of underserved on healthy male friendships that show you can love one another and be supportive and vulnerable without it being more.

And yeah. Supernatural is a good example of that where like even two brothers being vulnerable and loving gets turned into sex by some.

Obviously ideally we’d have more healthy platonic male relationships and more dudes being into each other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rand Brittain posted:

The MCU is pretty sexless outside of some of the beefcake shots of Chris Evans and that one sex scene in Eternals. Which is interesting because in the comics there are way more relationships that have not really been translated into the films outside of like Wanda/Vision.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The MCU is pretty sexless outside of some of the beefcake shots of Chris Evans and that one sex scene in Eternals. Which is interesting because in the comics there are way more relationships that have not really been translated into the films outside of like Wanda/Vision.

The MCU is definitely very PG-13 but I think we have a fair number of romances. Even discounting the more non story important ones like Tony/Pepper or Thor/Jane there’s stuff like Steve/Peggy, Peter/Gamora, or even kind of the breakup story of Strange/Christina.

But it’s definitely a very family friendly level of horniness. Which I doubt is gonna change given the movies broad appeal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Say whatever else you will about Snyder, but the scene with Clark jumping in the tub in whichever one it was (BvS?) felt more sensual than anything in the MCU other than that one Eternals scene.

It's also the classic indictment of American/Western culture that we can have walking corpses and poo poo in Dr Strange:MOM but anything hornier than first base is basically non-existent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

People made a big deal about the 'sex scene' in Eternals but it's just two characters laying down and the camera moves away, from what I recall

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a bit more than that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest I think it’s weird people get so hung up on not having sex scenes in the middle of family blockbusters.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 18, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It absolutely is, it’s just the f-bomb in gotg3, it all just feels hollowly like the “comics are for adults too” we already had to go through

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I don't think anybody in this thread is actually asking for a sex scene.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I want Blade to show full penetration

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Supernatural is a good example of that where like even two brothers being vulnerable and loving gets turned into sex by some.

Diegetically, no less.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

That'll probably happen. OH, wait.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

Every child needs to see what's underneath the Beyonder's bathrobe

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Finally saw gotg3 and cried multiple times. I'm so glad Quill and Gamora didn't end up together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Gaz-L posted:

The scene where they did the 'love interests tumble over and land on top of each other for sexual tension' thing?
Sure if "sexual tension" meant "the characters sure loving hate this" instead? :v: The entire humor of that moment comes from how put off Sam was by the prospect of any intimacy with Bucky. That, along with the therapist scene, are pure Apatow-esque "no homo" comedy distilled and are exactly what I'm talking about with no one knowing what queerbaiting actually is if they think those are examples.

Look, I'ma be watching superhero poo poo until the day I die in a stampede of kiwis, and it does feel really good when big important companies like Disney deign to indulge us with their scraps of queer rep. But I truly beg for people who are rightfully hungry for such things to also immerse themselves in the variety of media we very fortunately have out there right now today -- shows like Heartstopper, Shadow and Bone, Our Flag Means Death, Umbrella Academy, Ted Lasso, Chucky, or even actual other Disney products like Willow, Andor, Strange World etc -- that do feature queer characters in rich stories that give them their due. Not only to see what it actually looks like when shows -- even the schlocky ones and the campy ones -- are invested in queer romances and queer stories. But also to see, by contrast, how very pithy it is to be scrounging for sexual tension crumbs whenever the two most dudebro of dudebros touch knees or whatever on the most dudebro of shows and then feeling jilted when nothing comes from that.

e: okay apparently "pithy" doesn't mean what I thought it meant either :sweatdrop: but I think the point stands!

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 18, 2023

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think anybody in this thread is actually asking for a sex scene.

i want to see dongs going in

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Putting aside that these are family films and there's plenty of places to go for titillation I'm pretty ok with a general "sexlessness" in Hollywood compared to past generations considering how undeniably, documented, historically, consistently godawful and monstrous Hollywood has been about the exploitation and treatment of women. Well and men. So less actors who feel like saying no to a nude or sex scene or something might cost them their big break is a net positive.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Putting aside that these are family films and there's plenty of places to go for titillation I'm pretty ok with a general "sexlessness" in Hollywood compared to past generations considering how undeniably, documented, historically, consistently godawful and monstrous Hollywood has been about the exploitation and treatment of women. Well and men. So less actors who feel like saying no to a nude or sex scene or something might cost them their big break is a net positive.

Again, nobody in this thread is asking for sex scenes, and acting like wanting more gay rep is somehow inherently sexual is a fairly notorious form of homophobia.

Soul Glo posted:

i want to see dongs going in

Nobody.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rand Brittain posted:

Again, nobody in this thread is asking for sex scenes, and acting like wanting more gay rep is somehow inherently sexual is a fairly notorious form of homophobia.
I'm totally for more gay representation and in no way against it. Just don't think you have to read it into every friendship.

My comment about the history of exploitation is more about the general conversation away from this one always complaining about the lack of sex in Marvel or other mainstream films. The two conversations just got mixed up in here.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ive been on a Marvel tear catching up to stuff recently. This phase seems like its big on doing the narrative reset so we get characters in line with their popular characterization?

Also what the gently caress is up with the way they shoot some scenes where everything is distorted slightly or fuzzy aside from who/whatever is dead center?

Quantumania - Eugh I didnt need to know Janet was sexing around with MicroBill Murray and it's darkly sad that they didnt even hint at anything but platonic science friendship with Kang. Cass being pointedly upset about 5 lost years kind of sucks but teens have their heads up their asses. I felt it was entertaining and more of a Cape Film than the ragtag ensemble the first two were. Honestly if they had fixed MODOK there probably wouldnt have been that much poo poo talked about the FX. Oh man, ELily was totally sidelined for a lot of the film and I hope they write her out if there's a next one. Rudd finally aged a few years, too.

Love and Thunder - The excuse for how Jane gets Mjolnir was great. Bale was hardly in it but he was sure hamming it up in a few scenes which were fun. Sucks that they went back to the Thor finding himself well. If Taika gets to do a 3rd I hope some of the formula gets shaken up-- dont really need to see the New Asgardian Players a 3rd time, for example.

Wakanda Forever - really love what they did with Namor and Tlalokan-- he's not quite the grandiose and comicy King rear end in a top hat that he is in the comics, but he is ruthless, menacing, and modulates his personality according to the situation. Tenoch Huerta did a great job appearing as someone who was legitimately a threat, though I kind of hated how Noble Savage the merfolk were. I had put this off for a while because I was worried about what they would do about Boseman's death. His absence hangs large, but I like that they were able to show how everyone grieved and how much it took for Shuri to finally be at peace. Her last scene has some really great shots. Riri was less a character and more a plot point, which was a big disappointment.

Guardians X-Mas Special - so was Pratt just green-screened into 90% of his shots or filmed separately? I'd believe they deepfaked it since he was so checked out. I appreciate that they reminded me of the incredibly small plot point in G2 that I forgot but explained away Mantis' powers. Not a super huge fan of drax/mantis comedy slapstick duo instead of the awkward way they kind of got each other in G2. Kevin Bacon really saved the show, but only because Cosmo got so little talk time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Opopanax posted:

It absolutely is, it’s just the f-bomb in gotg3, it all just feels hollowly like the “comics are for adults too” we already had to go through

"Open the loving door!" was perfectly timed and hilarious though?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"Open the loving door!" was perfectly timed and hilarious though?

Sure, but I don't really see what it added to what should be a family movie. Could have done the exact same joke with "Flarkin" or something, and that would make more sense in a Guardians movie anyways.
It just comes across as cynical and "grown up"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If I was going to make that movie better for kids I would be looking at the violence and animal abuse well before I took out that one gently caress. That gag doesn't work nearly as well with drat or some sort of space swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was funny because it came from a relatable situation and was out of the blue.

I would be a lot more worried about the gore than one cuss word. But I also saw Robocop when I was 8. Kids can handle hearing bad words and seeing some gory stuff.