Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I if you’re fighting a holy waste for a county/duchy and the liege of your target loses the county, you continue fighting the war against the new owner of the title your warring over, as long as the new owner is still a religious enemy. I don’t think I’m making this one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

Not that I can see. I've done that twice now to the same guy (when my first war attempt failed I restarted from an earlier save) and both times his liege took over even though the King I captured was the target of the war.

Saying that someone’s liege took over when you captured the king makes me think that you’re actually fighting against the holy Roman emperor. But you seemed confident that Italy is independent of the HRE, so as mentioned it’s probably your enemy being subjegated after losing a separate but simultaneous war.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

A good reminder to double check if your opponent is already fighting a war before you start yours, and what kind of war they're fighting. If they're being attacked, or fighting independence or dissolution wars, you may end up having to face someone new in the middle of the war. Just ran into this myself where I was fighting a kingdom level claim and it got all screwed up because the empire I was fighting dissolved, only ended up getting like 1/3 of the territory I wanted.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Dick Trauma posted:

Not only did it happen again but I fought an extra war (as a treat) and it happened there too. After the wars the person I fought against is still there, still in power. No one is dying, didn't capture anyone this time, the game just decides that anytime I get close to winning to pass the war to a more powerful enemy so I have to give up. There were no notifications prior to this one besides the usual domestic stuff.

EDIT: I was about to start a war for the county to the west but realized that it was in a different duchy, but that the county to the south is the only other one in the same duchy. So if I can grab it I can create the duchy and then the vassals in those counties will stop complaining that I'm not their dejure liege.

Just happened to me. My opponent lost their title to another claimant and I had to continue the war against the new ruler. Multiple simultaneous wars can happen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Randarkman posted:

Invaded where? I haven't really heard about crossbows giving the Mongols any particular unexpected issue. Chinese infantry had used mixed formations of spearmen (with shields) and crossbows for hundreds of years, and those combined with allied/hired steppe cavalry had really been the main way they attempted to enage steppe nomads (and again you shouldn't really think of the Mongols as fighting in a fundamentally different way from earlier steppe nomads).

Crossbows, in various forms, were known and used all over Eurasia in any case. Crossbows are good because they are alot easier to use, especially in that you can aim without tiring yourself, than bows. A crossbow isn't necessarily going to have to be stronger than a bow or difficult to draw either, though due to how they work and that the string is not held back by by you, but by the mechanism of the weapon, you can also make them very powerful with heavy draws that require winches and stirrups and such.

Tactically the advantage of crossbows are basically the same as any other missile weapon and it's also worth noting that both movies and video games tend to not really accurately portray how for instance archers actually fought. Most notably that archetypical "indirect volley" or rain of arrows is more or less fantasy, archers with bows, as with crossbow would almost always shoot level at their target, at ranges that were much closer than we often assume (at maximum range they are not going to be very effective or accurate), "arced" shooting happened, but was relatively rare, mostly just harassment to provoke attack or maneuver, and often a waste of arrows (which was a consideration), and there really wasn't anything that would have made regular bows better at doing this than any crossow, simple or complex.

Crossbows were specifically mentioned as a weapon the mongols found incredibly annoying when campaigning against Bela IV. During Subadi and Batu great campaign in
Hungary

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How is the DLC? I haven't picked up the game in a while

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Goofballs posted:

How is the DLC? I haven't picked up the game in a while

Good. Less a focus on realm management and more on role playing. Introduces quite a few bugs, but what else could you expect.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've liked every expansion, but pound for pound, I think Fate of Iberia is the best DLC. It's not as expansive as others, but it really fleshes out a single part of the world in a way that makes me gravitate toward Iberia, because every other region feels shallow by comparison.

Northern Lords doesn't really make Scandinavia seem too different from the rest of Europe, but FoI adds so much variety to things. The struggle mechanics are great and the features/restrictions/modifiers really encourage varied play.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Oh, I should have said I have Iberia DLC. I like that a lot and most of my game time has been in Spain. I also have the royal court, didn't care for that so much.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

So just checking that you are going over your war target's diplo status before going after them right? For example in this image, you can see that he is fighting a rebellion and allied with another ruler. Mouse over them to get details as to what kind of wars they are. These could be the additional "kings" that you ran into. Furthermore, the ruler's current strength may not be accurate since if he crushes this rebellion quickly or gets a white peace, he might get a bunch of troops from the rebel faction ready to throw at you now. Declaring war on a target that is already at war is a great strategy but you have to keep in mind what kind of war it is. If the guy is defending against a wholesale takeover and a ton of vassals rebel, yea he may be weak but he is also going to lose his crown real fast and when the usurper comes to the throne, you get stuck with the situation you found yourself in. On the other hand if it is a liberation war and he is already losing, then you don't have to worry about it since taking your war target and potentially killing more troops will help him lose the other war as well and the rebels won't care (as long as your war target wasn't in rebel territory).

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Anyone have tips for an Intrigue heavy playstyle? It feels so different from the rest of the game. Would love a quick rundown for how to best min-max Intrigue and use it to pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Example:
Let's say I'm ruler of a nice kingdom and I want to figure out how to get my family onto as many other thrones as possible -- without conquest. What's a good way to go about doing this?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

alcaras posted:

Anyone have tips for an Intrigue heavy playstyle? It feels so different from the rest of the game. Would love a quick rundown for how to best min-max Intrigue and use it to pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Example:
Let's say I'm ruler of a nice kingdom and I want to figure out how to get my family onto as many other thrones as possible -- without conquest. What's a good way to go about doing this?

Oh man, intrigue is honestly the best part of the game. There's some other posted in this thread who said the game would be better if the entire lifestyle was cut, and they and I are playing very, very different games.

The stabby lifestyle is a heck of a lot stronger than it looks, especially the ability to run two schemes at once. It's most based around the idea that you have a hella strong personal intrigue score, however... So marry a very lopsided woman and set her spousal support to intrigue, duh. At that point all of your plots fire with 95% success every 12 months and nothing nor nobody can stop you.

As for speedrunning 'dynasty of many crowns', it's mostly down to stabbing people, with the occasional hook: Find a stable enighboring kingdom, one that has a good standing army to inherit. Put a hook on the current ruler, find the second-in-line son, stab his wife, instantly marry your own daughter/niece in matriliniarlly with the hook (she doesn't need to be an adult at all, and alliances are fine). Stab the first-in-line son, and his male children. Stab the king, win. Make sure to show up to the first fight when the new guy gets mobbed by angry vassals, after that he's fine. Once he pops out a few kids of your dynasty, you can stab him and have your name on the throne (and again, show up to the fight after succession). This takes a long time to pull off, but you can generally have ~two coups in the cooker going at once, and once done properly they're super stable and your dynast will last forevermore while you move on. It's mostly about choosing the right family: The first born son can't have been making kids already or you'll be stabbing all day, and while it's tempting to shortcut a few steps by marrying a son into a daughter-only family, be aware that you need to murder the first boy infant that pops out (and the dad) asap.

Other fun things to do include hooking your head of faith for infinite gold, just abducting absolutely anyone you want (for the above family-injects via marriage, or just for shits and giggles), stealing anybody's spouse once you're Certifiably HotTM, and staying perpetually evil and dreadful. Note that you can take the evil/sinful traits and have fun with them, as all sins are forgiven if you're hot enough. Internal revolts don't happen since surprise, you have strong hooks on all your vassals -_-

edit: Oh, and eventually that 5% chance will roll and you'll be outed as a murderer. Oh well. It's fine, it was gonna happen anyways, and it's not as if you can get the trait a second time...

Serephina fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 18, 2023

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

alcaras posted:

Example:

fabricate hooks to get favorable marriages (matrilineal if necessary) to get members of your dynasty into as many positions of power as possible. Murdering can speed up the process but isnt necessary if you're patient

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Goofballs posted:

Oh, I should have said I have Iberia DLC. I like that a lot and most of my game time has been in Spain. I also have the royal court, didn't care for that so much.

The new DLC ties in a lot of royal court stuff. Going on a grand tour of your vassals as an itinerant king, inviting vassals to tournaments, visiting neighbouring kings for grand marriages etc.

It is well done, but it is unbalanced as gently caress. Everything feels a little overtuned. You can stack ridiculous bonuses on Men at Arms, gain insane amount of prestige quickly, but also die real quickly because travelling can be quite dangerous.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
...traveling is dangerous? You hire a guy for 4 gold and all the danger drops to zero. Unless you mean specific events firing which are DLC-exclusive?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You get tons of decisions that can wound you or make you ill. I've had lots of wounds and scarring during my game in Africa so far because of all the low control as well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My starting character died in her 70s as King of Sardinia and Corsica without actually having any of Corsica. Her pressed claim to the Duchy of Corsica became an unpressed claim for her heir. I don't think he can press it because Corsica's liege has a way larger army than mine. Also have a two county duchy in North Africa that I converted to my religion and culture. The counties got scattered to all the kids so the new King is weak. But my plan to counter his sterility with a lustful wife worked and he has two kids. But his heir is also sterile.

I've decided that this fellow is mostly going to try and build and keep people happy. I did piss off a couple of brothers because unlike the sisters they're too incompetent to be on the council but generally people are okay with him. I might try to snag Mayurca but there's a weird issue where the Count does not appear to have a liege but his infant heir does, and if I go to war I will have to fight the powerful liege. That makes no sense to me.

Glad you all convinced me to stick with it, but I think it's going to be a long, hard road with so many neighbors having consolidated into large realms with large armies.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Sounds like a good deal. Sounds fun planning continuity around sterility.

If you take Mallorca quickly enough, you may not have to worry about the heir’s liege. Unless the holder is really old or sick already. Might want to revoke it if you win, though, so it doesn’t leave your realm after the holder dies. Doubt your crown authority is high enough yet to stop this from happening.

Talking about your North Africa holdings, I wish there were an easier way to recreate this situation. Holy war unlands them, and fabricating claims doesn’t match the situation. I guess you could go for the Vassalization CB in the Martial tree (or maybe it’s in diplomacy?). Pretty expensive prestige cost though.

(It’s called Kingdom of Sardinia and Corsica because of history. It’s not a dynamically generated name.)

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I feel like I know a lot about this game. One thing that doesn't quite work how I think it SHOULD work is De Jure drift.

Let's say, I have an empire, a kingdom title underneath that and of course, a duchy and county as my capital. If there is a neighboring duchy on my Kingdom's border's, under my empire, but having no kingdom title above it, I believe the rules state that the duchy should be drifting into my kingdom title.

That's not how it works. It also doesn't seem to work that way if I have a liege and don't own the empire. Duchy drift just doesn't seem to take place under an empire. Only kingdom drift occurs. If there is no kingdom title above a duchy, no drift will occur.

Seems bad.

EDIT: Empire titles seem to really gently caress up de jure drift

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 18, 2023

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Talking about your North Africa holdings, I wish there were an easier way to recreate this situation. Holy war unlands them, and fabricating claims doesn’t match the situation. I guess you could go for the Vassalization CB in the Martial tree (or maybe it’s in diplomacy?). Pretty expensive prestige cost though.

Vassalization CB would be most appropriate for that yeah, counteract by getting the perk in strategist tree which reduces the cost of CBs. A martial focused ruler in that general region shouldn't have too much of an issue regaining any prestige such a war costs them in any case.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dick Trauma posted:

My starting character died in her 70s as King of Sardinia and Corsica without actually having any of Corsica. Her pressed claim to the Duchy of Corsica became an unpressed claim for her heir. I don't think he can press it because Corsica's liege has a way larger army than mine. Also have a two county duchy in North Africa that I converted to my religion and culture. The counties got scattered to all the kids so the new King is weak. But my plan to counter his sterility with a lustful wife worked and he has two kids. But his heir is also sterile.

I've decided that this fellow is mostly going to try and build and keep people happy. I did piss off a couple of brothers because unlike the sisters they're too incompetent to be on the council but generally people are okay with him. I might try to snag Mayurca but there's a weird issue where the Count does not appear to have a liege but his infant heir does, and if I go to war I will have to fight the powerful liege. That makes no sense to me.

Glad you all convinced me to stick with it, but I think it's going to be a long, hard road with so many neighbors having consolidated into large realms with large armies.

In Sardinia, make sure your capital is in Cagliari and try to build up the mine that's in a secondary barony iirc (and always hold that barony for yourself directly). It will give you lots of money to hire mercs, good knights or more men at arms and challenge those larger armies!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TorakFade posted:

In Sardinia, make sure your capital is in Cagliari and try to build up the mine that's in a secondary barony iirc (and always hold that barony for yourself directly). It will give you lots of money to hire mercs, good knights or more men at arms and challenge those larger armies!

I've never tried to take that Barony for myself... don't know how. I'm stuck at the lowest level of crown authority and I don't think I can murder/marry my way through it. I'll have to take another look.

I was doing ok for money before the first King died and fractured the holdings. Cut my monthly from around 5.5 to 1.8. I've got a good steward too but it's difficult to make more money, especially because upgrades for buildings are very expensive and I can't create any holdings since I am somehow "tribal." I've moved beyond the first age and there don't appear to be any advances that I can unlock that will allow building on an empty holding.

I still have a lot to learn about this version of CK.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One of my favorite intrigue games was a Byzantine vassal trying to single-handedly keep the Empire going. Hooks to get a permanent spot on the council and some good marriages, assassinating bad emperors, leaders of powerful factions, and strong rulers of enemy kingdoms, briefly dipping into tree that allows you to sell hooks and using the gold for armies. Was very satisfying.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never tried to take that Barony for myself... don't know how. I'm stuck at the lowest level of crown authority and I don't think I can murder/marry my way through it. I'll have to take another look.

I was doing ok for money before the first King died and fractured the holdings. Cut my monthly from around 5.5 to 1.8. I've got a good steward too but it's difficult to make more money, especially because upgrades for buildings are very expensive and I can't create any holdings since I am somehow "tribal." I've moved beyond the first age and there don't appear to be any advances that I can unlock that will allow building on an empty holding.

I still have a lot to learn about this version of CK.

In CK3, you can revoke baronies without tyranny at any time. This is a change from CK2.

Not sure how the hell you became tribal.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Dorkopotamis posted:

I feel like I know a lot about this game. One thing that doesn't quite work how I think it SHOULD work is De Jure drift.

Let's say, I have an empire, a kingdom title underneath that and of course, a duchy and county as my capital. If there is a neighboring duchy on my Kingdom's border's, under my empire, but having no kingdom title above it, I believe the rules state that the duchy should be drifting into my kingdom title.

That's not how it works. It also doesn't seem to work that way if I have a liege and don't own the empire. Duchy drift just doesn't seem to take place under an empire. Only kingdom drift occurs. If there is no kingdom title above a duchy, no drift will occur.

Seems bad.

EDIT: Empire titles seem to really gently caress up de jure drift

In the first example, is your empire title the de jure owner of the (vacant) kingdom that would own the duchy? If so, the logic might be that the duchy 'feels' owned by the correct guy. Also, and I'm just talking about my rear end here, but I think de jure drifting only occurs one level at a time, eg if the kingdom is drifting all affected duchies hold their horses and just drift with it?

All spitballing, of course. I normally ignore drift, as I like clean borders and will probably get bored and found the proper titles long before a hundred years pass.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

A duchy will not de jure drift into your kingdom if that kingdom is not your primary title. It should still work for vassal kings, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This patch is so hilariously broken.

It kind of owns. I assume things like stress loss and prestige gain are going to get adjusted (nerfed heavily) eventually, but drat.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Stress loss is actually an issue for me now because it’s not instant. The feasts and stuff usually provide more stress relieving events, but it doesn’t help me a whole lot if it takes 4 months to happen.

I also kind of hate the domain and building slot changes, but that’s probably because I started as tribal in Russia. My income sucks.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

It's the men-at-arms bonuses that are really doing it for me right now. The one accolade that gives +6 heavy infantry regiment size is nuts. Though it does seem a bit too easy to get tons of prestige quickly as an established ruler in a stable realm.

Stress has always been a bit of a swingy mechanic for me; if anything I think it's maybe slightly more of a concern now because hitting the feast/hunt button doesn't instantly resolve your stress, and an activity can take a few months to start, so you can hover at the brink for a bit if you're not careful. Like, sure, it's neat to lose 300 stress from an activity event, but why would you ever have 300 stress (unless you were pushing for stress intentionally)?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
It's a mild buff to taking coping mechanisms (and owning pets) as they still retain their instant stress-loss decisions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nerfing some thing is not equivalent to buffing others ;p

I'm not buying the DLC, as my initial drunken purchase of the Imperial edition has run its course and the game is cheerfully in full-swing paradox mode and I don't want to support that. I've got a lot of residual bitterness from Stellaris and so I've been trying to keep an open mind about things and fight my bias, but there is one thing that annoys me:

Where are all the good Physicians?

Character Finder can't differentiate between the new levelling-up traits, but even when browsing by hand I can't find any physicians in the entire world who are experienced. Not on game creation, not after playing two generations, not via trying to level my own guy in Vanilla, nothing. The best are all rookies with average effectiveness in their roles.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Serephina posted:

Nerfing some thing is not equivalent to buffing others ;p

It changes the cost/benefit analysis. If I have a way to instantly purge stress via hunting/feasting, than the benefits of, say, irritable or reclusive are less worth the drawbacks. If I can't easily get guaranteed stress removal, I'm more willing to take the traits even with the negatives.

Rakish remains OP, barring the occasional bout of syphilis.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I have found that it is now very possible to stack up to -100% MaA maintenance from domain alone. I did it in the High Medieval era without trying too much, might be possible earlier.

And they reduced domain limit... but the Grand Tournaments occasionally (and it does seem very rare) give artifacts with +1 Domain. It's rougher starting out, especially as tribal, as your holdings now have fewer building slots, but once things get going you snowball pretty hard.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

And they reduced domain limit... but the Grand Tournaments occasionally (and it does seem very rare) give artifacts with +1 Domain. It's rougher starting out, especially as tribal, as your holdings now have fewer building slots, but once things get going you snowball pretty hard.

Once I got established in my current game I began to inspect nearby realms' relics, and it seemed that every other king-tier ruler had two or three +1 domain animal hides. All it takes is one character with Diplomacy lifestyle and you can get +3 domain limit very easily (+5 if your dynasty banner gets the right roll and you obligatorily steal the Crown of Justinian).

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Never change, ck3. :allears:

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Love how many bugs there are! Currently have one where i can't start the grand wedding because it says the bethrothed aren't adults or are busy, both are in their 20s and aren't doing anything as far as i can tell. Can't see anyone with the exact same error so perhaps this is a mod conflict...

Hoping they do a good balance pass after the main bugs are sorted out because this DLC seems like there's way way too many OP things, from artifacts, to easy friendships/alliances, to ridiculous stats (my councillors all have 20 averages) to MaA being more OP than before etc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im definetly waiting a patch or two to try this

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Serephina posted:

Where are all the good Physicians?

Character Finder can't differentiate between the new levelling-up traits, but even when browsing by hand I can't find any physicians in the entire world who are experienced. Not on game creation, not after playing two generations, not via trying to level my own guy in Vanilla, nothing. The best are all rookies with average effectiveness in their roles.

You need to use the decision. It's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I rarely ever bother looking for great physicians. Even a lot of poor and average physicians seem to do just fine. I just always for the the bare minimum treatment and 9 out of 10 times I end up fine. If I have intelligent kids, then I just make them physicians early on and by the time they’re 30, they’ve developed into good ones.