Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

If you are not constantly talking to the person you are with, you must be sad and bored.

So we've gone straight from "Why try anything new?" to "Those young people and their gizmos!" If we're playing Boomer Bingo, the next strip will probably be Mary lamenting the lack of Perry Como in the jukebox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 31, 1923-January 2, January 2-3, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (March 3-5, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Eddie Rickenbacker Wannabe (September 28, 1914)

The Kid got pushed off the front page for a teaser ad for the Sunday edition which doubles as a case history of what a difference a couple of years makes.

Little Lefty (July 14-16, 1938)

(Discord backup because imgur hates you)

(e: cos I goofed on the dates again.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 19, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Polypores (Finnish "kääpä", plural "käävät") are a category of fungi that often grow on tree trunks and that gain nutrients by eating away at the wood matter. The word "kääpä" is also used to describe cranky old people who're set in their ways and complain a lot. I suppose it has to do with the way polypores live a long time in the same place, are usually inedible and tough and generally prefer old, rotten trees as living surfaces. As you can guess, their health/whether they survive at all can tell a lot about the health of a forest.

Since Finland is a big foraging country, our mushroom naming conventions have the interesting quality of being quite systematic (compared to e.g. English colloquial mushroom names) while also being less scientific/dry than just latin names. So "kääpä" works both as a fairly accurate term for a specific family of fungi, while also being short & Finnish enough to have a slang meaning.
(Looks like the bottom of the strip was cut off, sorry!)

ANSU is back!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

loving. EASTER.

Alright I think Easter is officially the recurring plot arc I hate the most in K&K.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Nov 12-13, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 14-15, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Haifisch posted:

1980 comics

Why didn't you tell him about the grease beforehand, Cathy Lee Crosby? Why didn't you tell him about the grease!? :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hempuli posted:

Polypores (Finnish "kääpä", plural "käävät") are a category of fungi that often grow on tree trunks and that gain nutrients by eating away at the wood matter. The word "kääpä" is also used to describe cranky old people who're set in their ways and complain a lot. I suppose it has to do with the way polypores live a long time in the same place, are usually inedible and tough and generally prefer old, rotten trees as living surfaces. As you can guess, their health/whether they survive at all can tell a lot about the health of a forest.

Since Finland is a big foraging country, our mushroom naming conventions have the interesting quality of being quite systematic (compared to e.g. English colloquial mushroom names) while also being less scientific/dry than just latin names. So "kääpä" works both as a fairly accurate term for a specific family of fungi, while also being short & Finnish enough to have a slang meaning.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've been meaning to ask, but Vin? Is it just a coincidence that Rudy named his car's AI after his half-brother that disappeared from the strip ages ago? Because I can also see Holbrook writing something insane like having Vin return only to nearly kill him in a way that he had to get his mind transplanted into a car to survive.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Christ, Holbrook doesn't realize how he wrote Dethany as a textbook case of someone being abused. "She's not manipulating me, I'm just letting her manipulate bootlicker-me, teehee" and "I bet my abuser is totally grateful for what I do~" sure is something, huh?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

amigolupus posted:

I've been meaning to ask, but Vin? Is it just a coincidence that Rudy named his car's AI after his half-brother that disappeared from the strip ages ago? Because I can also see Holbrook writing something insane like having Vin return only to nearly kill him in a way that he had to get his mind transplanted into a car to survive.

I think it's just meant to be short for Vehicle Identification Number. But I wouldn't put it past Holbrook having it turn out to be something like that, it's right up his alley.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 21, 1957)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I know it's a long running strip that cycles through a few good reliable stories but man, all of Val's tales together make him the greatest saboteur in history. :allears:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/17/03

Brenda Starr 12/31/50

Smokey Stover 9/19/54

Everyday Movies 6/3/36

"I'm marrying Jack Ritz, but I wish I had of a year ago. We'd be divorced now."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/29/41

Bonus Ad! Learn the mysterious art of eating with chopsticks!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

The juxtaposition of these two is :lol:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 9/19/54

Holy hell, that panel 5 gag is dark.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

That hobo's gonna die

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Does pinching her nerve also give Invisible Scarlet O'Neil super-strength? Stopping a stocky man's arm from pulling down a switch and then actually pulling said switch off the wall is amazing. :allears:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I was expecting the executioner to rationalize scarlet’s invisible hand as his own conscience (like we saw with the awful hillbilly arc), but no, she just destroys the controls. Scarlett rules.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The hillbilly arc was really funny and stupid, at least.

Jucika "23 -Jucika had Dinner" NSFW Nudity

"számla = bill." Our first topless Jucika.

"24 - Jucika at an Open-Air Show"

"felvonás = act"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 19, 2023

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Puppet Master

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, with another reminder that Ted could build a cult if he really wanted to. His People just seem to gravitate in his direction.

Skippy (June 14, 1935)

Peanuts (May 20, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

This story turned out to be a real corker once it got going.

Thimble Theater (December 18, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (October 30-November 1, 1941)

(Break glass in case of image hosting dickishness.)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Technowolf posted:

Holy hell, that panel 5 gag is dark.

Up until like, the 80s everyone agreed that suicide was hilarious.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

End of chapter! Moral: The myth that “whatever you say when drinking in Japan is forgiven and forgotten” is, indeed, a myth.

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/1/50

The Brewers were still a minor-league team at this point.

Archie 5/26-28/47

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Up until like, the 80s everyone agreed that suicide was hilarious.

BUT NOW... WOW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1KSXGhCOE

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Here's a neat article on the coloring process for comic strips.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days
End of chapter! Moral: The myth that “whatever you say when drinking in Japan is forgiven and forgotten” is, indeed, a myth.
The only people who have ever insisted that it's a thing are the kind of people who want to be assholes, whether drunk or not.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The only people who have ever insisted that it's a thing are the kind of people who want to be assholes, whether drunk or not.

Generally, yes, although the observation is a staple in some sorts of outsiders-in-Japan media like Mr. Baseball and such.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

If anyone accuses me of leaning into a trope here, I ma(r)y sue.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Our Boarding House (January 1, 4-5, 1924, cos I goofed on the dates yesterday)

Toonerville Folks (March 7-9, 1921)

One particular member of the Scorpions is going to be the next breakout star. But we'll get to him eventually.

Dok's "Too Much Medalling" Duck (September 29, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 18-20, 1938)

(If imgur is trying to drive you off the road, Discord is the ditch it's running you into.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

It's hilarious how Batiuk fails at even the most basic storytelling. We're meant to go "oh, Crankshaft wasn't an rear end in a top hat all along for helping the kid, despite him looking murderous the past two strips." Except the kid's reason for not getting picked up isn't something that warrants legitimate concern: like the kid's parents being dead, or going through a rough patch in their marriage, or too busy with their jobs. No, it's just that the kid's family doesn't have a car yet Batiuk's boomer brain is treating it as a huge tragedy. Like, that's literally the point of kids riding a school bus.

And as someone else pointed out, no parent would want the school's bus driver to take their child out for ice cream. The guy's a complete stranger. They want the driver to do their loving job, not befriend the child like a peer.