Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in the late game you see people running seele/bronya/tingyun/a healer or shielder sometimes, too. mostly for memory of chaos. simulated universe usually needs both a healer and shielder but memory of chaos can get by with just one if your damage is high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

pulling for weapons sucks rear end

Yeah.

They're better than 4 star ones but not by enough to change the gameplay experience. Only pull for weapons if you are absolutely positively sure you want to hyper invest in a single character to the point you want to build a whole team around them and also don't mind burning cash on slightly bigger numbers.

In which case go nuts.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone got a good site for general build advice? Every time I do a quick google for best relics for a character or something I get five different sites with a bunch of incomplete guides of varying quality, and then when I google the next time for a different character I get a whole new set of sites with a whole new set of dubious guides and I really just want full list of build guides, no fuss.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

in the late game you see people running seele/bronya/tingyun/a healer or shielder sometimes, too. mostly for memory of chaos. simulated universe usually needs both a healer and shielder but memory of chaos can get by with just one if your damage is high.

I expect this will be increasingly the case as more characters are released to fill out the type chart and also provide more options for team building, since MoC is at its heart basically a speedrun mode.

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone got a good site for general build advice? Every time I do a quick google for best relics for a character or something I get five different sites with a bunch of incomplete guides of varying quality, and then when I google the next time for a different character I get a whole new set of sites with a whole new set of dubious guides and I really just want full list of build guides, no fuss.

https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/characters

This is the most user friendly site and generally the most sane with its takes on a lot of characters, providing multiple alternatives for stuff like light cone choice.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The resource drain to get people and LCs up from 60-70 is intense. It will be a long time before I bother getting my C listers uncapped to get that last standard ticket from them I think, lol.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Kanos posted:

This is the most user friendly site and generally the most sane with its takes on a lot of characters, providing multiple alternatives for stuff like light cone choice.

Perfect, appreciated!

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

prydwen is also the site that tells you not to use qingque's skill

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

hang on what the gently caress

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

UHD posted:

prydwen is also the site that tells you not to use qingque's skill

That's a boost over several other sites, which tell you to not use Qingque at all. :v:

Prydwen is run by spreadsheet math nerds who crunch tons of numbers, so an RNG-based character is like a crucifix to a vampire to the people writing guides for the site. Their current DPS charts actually have a disclaimer about Qingque saying "we haven't figured out how to sim this character so uhh idk lol".

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 18, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Kanos posted:

That's a boost over several other sites, which tell you to not use Qingque at all. :v:

Prydwen is run by spreadsheet math nerds who crunch tons of numbers, so an RNG-based character is like a crucifix to a vampire to the people writing guides for the site. Their current DPS charts actually have a disclaimer about Qingque saying "we haven't figured out how to sim this character so uhh idk lol".

good thing this particular math nerd did a whole bunch of (good) work for them

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You'll never get good results with Qingque if you try to sim her. You have to believe in the heart of the tiles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

UHD posted:

good thing this particular math nerd did a whole bunch of (good) work for them
the guide you linked, written by someone who thinks qingque is competitive with seele, offers the 'basically never use her skill' strategy as an option. they say the damage isn't really competitive but if you just want to use her for low investment aoe quantum break its the best option.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

the guide you linked, written by someone who thinks qingque is competitive with seele, offers the 'basically never use her skill' strategy as an option. they say the damage isn't really competitive but if you just want to use her for low investment aoe quantum break its the best option.

To the point where they actually have some sims for the "basically never use her skill" approach and comment that they're surprised that it apparently works quite well.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I mean that's fine, I just take umbrage with the prydwen guide presenting no other options because "the winning move is to not play" and leaving it at that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

from the perspective of a casual player thats kind of a fair take. ofc they could explain how ivnesting in her more and playing to her strengths makes her competitive but i dont expect a couple of guys writing 30+ guides on the day of launch to get everything right. The relic/gear guides are largely accurate so I don't really see the point in splitting hairs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a difference in approach. The 30 page Qingque guide is written by someone who is willing to roll with the RNG to achieve optimal results - including specifically talking about how sometimes the RNG will screw you but you can run Forgotten Hall as many times as you want so bad RNG will even out over time - while the Prydwen guide is seemingly written by someone who values consistency.

The Prydwen guide does mention that if you are willing to gamble, Qingque's output is exceedingly high:

Prydwen posted:

Interestingly enough, the ratio of skill points used to output value is exceedingly high with Qingque’s skill, because the damage bonuses she gets are astronomical—if you’re lucky. If you’re in the mood to gamble, maybe you win big and win often, but the inverse is also just as likely to occur.

It's a negative guide but I don't think it's completely inaccurate. It's also quite possible that it will be updated now that someone has sat down and done a ridiculous amount of math and run sims on the character, because you gotta remember that these guides were being slammed out as fast as possible based on beta information and hurried initial testing while people were also frantically leveling their accounts and trying to rush MoC.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Qingque guide: Win big, keep quiet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Help, my Seele gets +183% Ult damage when buffed by Bronya, help me budget my relics.

Eldsluft
Dec 22, 2021

"Ingenio stat sine morte decus."
https://twitter.com/MarinLiekuriva/status/1659093673055858688

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Anyone know if Jing Yuan's lightning lord counts as a follow up attack? Trying to decide if I can do an elation run with him

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Yes, all the lightning lord attacks are followups.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

It is. I believe it even specifically calls it out in his talent.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

His specialized light cone also buffs follow up attacks.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I used all my spare pulls and got 2 tingyuns 2 March 7 and 1 sushang along with some light cones and I lost the 50/50 and got himeko (who I may or may not level up and use).

I guess I'm set up for silver wolf though so that's good.

I've been running Seele, Bronya, Bailu and either Tingyun or Fire MC or Pela depending on my need for shields and debuffs. It's mostly working ok but I don't have any aoe heavy characters built which makes the SU world 6 boss a real pain in my first attempt at it. Mostly I think I just need to get everyone's traces leveled and start getting some 5* relics that are decent.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 18, 2023

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Pulled 30 pulls last night, managed to get Jing + one potential for each of the rate ups and Qingque, then I woke up and had 3 pulls of currency left which I put into the light cone banner and lead to some of the craziest luck I have had in a gacha:

I need to buy a lottery ticket, or thank Mihoyo for letting Jing do big number.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bussamove posted:

Qingque guide: Win big, keep quiet.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011

Substandard posted:

I used all my spare pulls and got 2 tingyuns 2 March 7 and 1 sushang along with some light cones and I lost the 50/50 and got himeko (who I may or may not level up and use).

I guess I'm set up for silver wolf though so that's good.

I've been running Seele, Bronya, Bailu and either Tingyun or Fire MC or Pela depending on my need for shields and debuffs. It's mostly working ok but I don't have any aoe heavy characters built which makes the SU world 6 boss a real pain in my first attempt at it. Mostly I think I just need to get everyone's traces leveled and start getting some 5* relics that are decent.

I’m running about the same team as you (Seele, Tingyun, Bailu, Bronya (or swap for a tank) and despite the lack of AoE I find with Seele’s talent if she’s sufficiently buff enough spawned enemies aren’t too much of a pain at least.

I spent a bit of fuel farming up the quantum set too which definitely helps.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Kanos posted:

Yes, all the lightning lord attacks are followups.

:sickos:

A New Dad
Nov 10, 2012

I SHOULD FUCK OFF BACK TO C-SPAM

Black Griffon posted:

I've used https://game8.co/games/Honkai-Star-Rail (I also use their Genshin guides) for builds, quest guides, etc... I won't say it's the best because there are a ton of comparable sites but it hasn't let me down yet.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Not sure I should pull for Jing Yuan when I already have a levelled Serval which is… basically the same thing if you squint

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Went into SU6 just intending to farm points for the tree and get path abilities I hadn't picked before, but ended up with 10 blessings in preservation and beat it. Feels better than waiting for 70.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Not sure I should pull for Jing Yuan when I already have a levelled Serval which is… basically the same thing if you squint

We have jing yuan at home

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

JT Jag posted:

Jing Yuan and Serval do pretty different things unless by the same thing you mean 'does lightning damage in an aoe'. I use both - Serval on my DoT-focused nihility team and Jing Yuan on basically everything else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Went into SU6 just intending to farm points for the tree and get path abilities I hadn't picked before, but ended up with 10 blessings in preservation and beat it. Feels better than waiting for 70.

SU6 is designed to be beatable at 50 and easier at 60. 70 would definitely be overkill, and SU6-2 would probably unlock by then anyway?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Clarste posted:

SU6 is designed to be beatable at 50 and easier at 60. 70 would definitely be overkill, and SU6-2 would probably unlock by then anyway?

I didn't think it was a heroic feat or anything, it was just nice to trip into a win after losing it before and the game telling me my SU tree was trash

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

While Serval and Jing are different, are they different enough that Jing will let you clear content that you couldn't with Serval? That's the most important question I think, when deciding to roll on someone for gameplay reasons. Right now it looks like you can Make Do with Serval, which makes me want to skip him. But maybe my opinion is colored by my preference for Serval's aesthetics and animations

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

JT Jag posted:

I just put all of my E2 Serval's gear on Jing Yuan, and I am not sure how much of a DPS improvement he is in normal content, with the caveat that his traces are not as leveled up (but not far off). His abilities on their own seem to be quite a bit less damage, but since most of his damage is from the light lord guy it is hard easily compare side by side. Serval does seem to be able to break enemies faster, since her ult seems to always fill up and you can use her skill and ult to open the battle often, while Jing Yuan needs to wait for the light lord to come through which is often after the enemies all get a turn. He pulverizes the SU though, since you can easily juice follow up attacks.

Then again, friend list Jing Yuans blow mine away in DPS, so maybe my gear just sucks.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Kafka's also going to be a lightning dps, which definitely makes waiting with Serval more appealing than it otherwise might be. Even if I'd get some stars in Memories of Chaos with him that I won't get without, there's no way it would be enough jade to pay for him, and as a character I think he's pretty boring in comparison with a bunch of the upcoming banners.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

bunch of math and number nerds itt. roll on who's cute or you vibe with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I pulled Jing just because i find his gameplay gimmick funny.