Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Railing Kill posted:

They seriously need a name on that trophy. It's not "The Golden Football" it's the goddamn Lombardi Trophy. Name it after Paul Ventimiglia or Ray Billings or something. Christ.
The trophy formerly known as the World Professional Football Championship wasn't named for Lombardi until a month or three after Lombardi died.

Just saying, might not want to make that your monkey-paw wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Grant Imahara's Giant Nut.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

El Fideo posted:

*Nods slowly*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Fideo posted:

They already named one of the other trophies after him. I think maybe the most destructive?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well a man's got two nuts don't he

Also oh boy the left side of my bracket did not do well. At first I was like "Ah I knew I should have bet on Ripperoni" only for Black Dragon to actually have been the correct lower seed gamble... and then the rest of the episode happened. Monsoon beating Cobalt was definitely the least expected result of the night for me.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

PostNouveau posted:

They already named one of the other trophies after him. I think maybe the most destructive?

I think that's the design award, voted on by all the teams?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Wonder who's winning the design award this season. Ripperoni seems like they would win, given how much everyone is gushing over the flywheel design, but they'll probably get rookie of the year instead.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Quantum, of course

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Hypershock remains the most attractive robot.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Great Beer posted:

Gotta agree with this since it's the one my 8 year old self would have picked.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Great Beer posted:

It's just an RC car!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

apatheticman posted:

It's just an RC car!

Yes.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I hope the ripperoni team stays together and keeps improving because I love the spirit and such I get from them. Reminds me of the witch doctor team. I wish them the best in future battlebots seasons

riptide can suck my nuts. Any winner who sincerely punches down on their opponent during post match talk can gently caress right off and they've done it twice so far

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, they seem excited about the counterbalance flywheel design, it seems to have legs.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Their mostly plastic frame didn't seem to hurt them either-- wonder if we will see any other teams try and save weight that way too

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've wondered if there was a way to engineer a bot frame that was somewhat compliant to absorb impacts. When something is fully rigid the energy finds the weakest part and breaks it. Maybe the plastic actually helps?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51akwv6Ew-g

Sounds like they're doing the golden bolt tournament again!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea they did film a season of the golden bolt / champions or whatever they will call it this year.

Although it's the same as in the past couple seasons of it, it was filmed alongside the championship tournament. I did read they are not doing the gatekeeper system this year. But don't want to look to deep into it, as you might spoiler yourself on the teams that get eliminated this week. Outside of the gatekeepers and giant nut holders last season, the teams in the golden bolt brackets didn't make it far in the championship!

Not sure if there is an airdate for it yet, might depend on if they can film season 8 during the summer.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Oh nice, I really enjoyed the format for the golden bolt.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That's too bad about not doing the gatekeepers. I liked having the golden bolt be another chance at hardware for the top teams by giving them a bye in the early rounds of the golden bolt so that the schedule would allow them to compete. If they just don't have any quarterfinalists in it at all, it starts to feel a lot more like the NIT of Battlebots.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

If they just don't have any quarterfinalists in it at all, it starts to feel a lot more like the NIT of Battlebots.

Even last season's golden bolt format with the gatekeepers. Witch Doctor was the only gatekeeper that made it to the quarterfinals in the championship. And then they had Tantrum in as a nut winner for the Golden Bolt bracket, which obviously would have been filmed after Tantum won the championship.

I wouldn't be surprised if last years entire format was something they came up with pretty quick and not something they had planned when they started filming the season.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even last season's golden bolt format with the gatekeepers. Witch Doctor was the only gatekeeper that made it to the quarterfinals in the championship. And then they had Tantrum in as a nut winner for the Golden Bolt bracket, which obviously would have been filmed after Tantum won the championship.

I wouldn't be surprised if last years entire format was something they came up with pretty quick and not something they had planned when they started filming the season.

Oh for sure. Last season seemed to line up in a way that worked out really well for them with the prior bounty hunter winners and all. It would be nice if they could cook up a format that allowed everyone in.

But I guess it's not a huge deal. Give some of the great bots that aren't quite all the way there time to shine. I'm sure they'll have excellent fights without the top-tier teams in it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Give some of the great bots that aren't quite all the way there time to shine. I'm sure they'll have excellent fights without the top-tier teams in it.

It'd be a great way to include some of the better tryout bots in an actual comp as well, hopefully a few of those get a spot

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It'd be a great way to include some of the better tryout bots in an actual comp as well, hopefully a few of those get a spot

Totally. Did Rusty even get an aired exhibition match this season? I'd like to see Terrortops and the new Red Dragon in "real" action as well.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

A new Witch Doctor vlog, preparation and a little after fight for Jackpot.

Also maybe a little bit of insight on why the top 8 are usually not in the bolt tournament. Well established team worried about having spare parts for the championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JE6tC_Jro

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RIP everyone's brackets.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Octofinals

Ribbot-Black Dragon: Good lord :stare:. Where was this Ribbot all year?

Witch Doctor-Lockjaw: Yeah, about as expected there. :lol: at that unnecessary reverse driving stunt at the beginning.

Looked like on one of those slo mo shots that WD's internals were on fire at the end.

Malice-Minotaur: Good showing from Malice. The big weapon did some damage but perhaps they don't use the big one all the time because it's less sturdy.

End Game-Copperhead: Complete dismantling in a way we haven't seen End Game get dismantled before. "Run into the weapon repeatedly and hope it breaks" is, I would say, not a great strategy against End Game, but I don't know if there is a better one and when it works, it works. End Game was shockingly intact inside when they showed it in the post-game.

Monsoon-Sawblaze: Great technical fight. Jamison Go is a surgeon.

Whiplash-Hydra: What a turd of a fight. Whiplash couldn't get around to Hydra's side despite Hydra barely able to move because the floor is all hosed up.

Madcatter-Huge: loving weird fight. I kinda hate that the best strategy sometimes is to get ahead on points, and if your opponent's weapon breaks, shut down your own so that it has no chance of breaking.

Hypershock-Riptide: :lol: @ Hypershock immediately Tokyo Drifting into Riptide's weapon out of the gate. Y'all were talking about why none of the verts run the weapons downward and then Hypershock running upside down combined with Riptide to throw it into the goddamn ceiling.

:lmao: at the non-sizzle reel from Season 1 to compare to now

Speculation for next week

I don't see Witch Doctor being able to do anything different to Huge than Madcatter. Unless they manage to break Huge's weapon.

Hydra has beaten Ribbot before, but it was the undercutter. I don't think it matches up well against the vert version, especially if it's going to get hung up on the floor the whole fight.

Sawblaze-Minotaur should go similar to the first time they met. Minotaur doesn't hit hard enough to push Sawblaze away from it, so it should eventually succumb to the scoop.

Riptide-Copperhead is the most interesting quarterfinal fight. It's the worst quadrant, but Riptide had an easy first fight and did not look like they took much damage against Hypershock.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well there goes most of my bracket :stare:

Updated bracket:

Wow, I guess Ribbot did deserve to be here after all lol. Maybe next year BD.

Well that Witch Doctor/Lockjaw fight was quick. Those wheels are simply too vulnerable.

Wow, those were heavy hits on Minotaur. I'm a little surprised that went the distance.

Lmao holy poo poo rip End Game. An embarrassing ending too lol. Was that Ice Ice Baby going in the background though? That was weird.

Sawblaze continues to do what it does.

Welp lol that's that for Whiplash. Bad landing for it.

Weird fight for Huge/Mad Catter. I agree, it sort of sucks just turning the weapon off to game the system, but what else are you going to do? Risk blowing it up and lose? Mad Catter got defanged so may as well lol. The poon was pretty useless though lol

What the gently caress was that Hypershock lmao. You can't even be mad at Riptide they self-owned hard

Lol the S1 shots of Witch Doctor and Lockjaw. The style's really come in!

Not sure about the finals now though. I think either Minotaur or Sawblaze takes it after Witch Doctor takes Riptide down, unless they also choose to blow themselves up. Huge has done well but I'm not sure they can kill them. Really though who knows now my whole thing's busted

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Weird fight for Huge/Mad Catter. I agree, it sort of sucks just turning the weapon off to game the system, but what else are you going to do? Risk blowing it up and lose? Mad Catter got defanged so may as well lol. The poon was pretty useless though lol

Yeah, it's blah, made the fight a lot worse, but of course the best tactical move for Huge

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's blah, made the fight a lot worse, but of course the best tactical move for Huge

I think that of all bots, Huge, which constantly has to deal with people trying to try out new attachments and technicalities on them, has the right to go by letter of the law on this.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not sure. On one hand, yea it sucks to turn off the weapon to game the fight. But, Huge had the fight dominated and won, leaving the weapon spinning with damaged wheels is a pretty unnecessary risk. Leaving the weapon going the entire fight, just risks breaking the weapon or the motor. And they still have potentially 3 more fights to the giant nut. If a team like Witch Doctor is tracking their remaining spare parts, Huge most definitely would be.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Minotaur gyro self-right is just the coolest thing

no mercy for Lockjaw

:stare: OK Copperhead, that ruled. Pity the guy that had to clean up the box after that

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 19, 2023

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

PostNouveau posted:

Malice-Minotaur: Good showing from Malice. The big weapon did some damage but perhaps they don't use the big one all the time because it's less sturdy.

I talked to David L and Bunny about this at Robogames. The answer is that big red is stupidly expensive to machine and repair. The bar with bolt on teeth is easily repairable and they can sell the broken teeth on ebay or whatever. "This one (big red) costs me money, this one (the bar) makes me money" was David's exact quote. They'd prefer to use big red all the time since it hits harder, but save it for the really important fights.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

:stare: OK Copperhead, that ruled. Pity the guy that had to clean up the box after that

They had like a dozen people in there when Faruq was reading off the judges decision. Always kind of cool Battlebots co-creator, Trey Roski is usually one of the people inside of the box after a fight, and also with the one separating the bots with a crowbar...

Also hypershock hitting the ceiling was pretty great, and Will giving props to Riptide was also kind of a nice change from the rest of the season.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
And yet, I still don't like the Riptide guy. I say this as someone who says gently caress every other word, how about not swearing on a show that not only kids watching but literally has kids in the audience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

They had like a dozen people in there when Faruq was reading off the judges decision. Always kind of cool Battlebots co-creator, Trey Roski is usually one of the people inside of the box after a fight, and also with the one separating the bots with a crowbar...

Also hypershock hitting the ceiling was pretty great, and Will giving props to Riptide was also kind of a nice change from the rest of the season.

It's annoying because if they'd settle down and the editors just backed off it'd be perfectly fine outside the guy's shithead dad, but here we are apparently

But yeah that's one for the record books lmao, maybe don't Tokyo Drift into the juggernaut

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

RBA Starblade posted:

It's annoying because if they'd settle down and the editors just backed off it'd be perfectly fine outside the guy's shithead dad, but here we are apparently

But yeah that's one for the record books lmao, maybe don't Tokyo Drift into the juggernaut

I knew nothing about his shithead dad before like 2 weeks ago and still think he acts like a huge dick

Jamison go seems like a really nice dude, and it was really sweet to see some tears of happiness from the winning teams this week

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That was a good episode. Disappointing that Whiplash clearly wasn't working right. Jake shows his true colors as a class act.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Finally finished this week's episode.

Black Dragon v. Ribbot:
Ribbot is a huge spoiler (no pun intended). It's way underseeded due to their record and could have a good chance against Hydra.

Hydra v. Whiplash:
In spite of his robot being broken from the jump, Matt Vasquez showed off the blueprint to beat Hydra: just feed him a little pump fake and then break his ankles flipper arm. The mobility of the bot spoiled it, but it was there. I don't know if Ribbot can pull off the driving required to take out Hydra, but it should be a good fight anyway.
Also: I am starting to "get" Jake Ewart's schtick. He's good at playing a heel and he resembles the villain of every 80's/90's teen movie, but he genuinely seems like a team player and cares about the other teams deep down.

Copperhead v. End Game:
:stare: Alright. Welp. There is something to be said for a bot that is just an indestructible brick. Black Dragon proved that this season. I just don't think Copperhead has an answer to HUGE so none of this is going to matter next week.

Madcatter v. HUGE:
God drat. HUGE looks as hard to beat as anyone. Madcatter looked fearless but the same kind of shocks that might have ripped HUGEW in half two years ago had no effect. I don't think HUGE did anything wrong, but I'm not wild about the rules (or lack thereof) about showing a weapon is still functioning after the bell. I don't mind the gamesmanship of "playing possum" with the weapon to preserve it because there's a risk to that. I think it was Malice that got burned by that. But I think the judges shouldn't be considering anything that happens after the bell.
Also, Mark Mason rules. Never change, never stop. Well, change a little bit, but never stop. More cat puns!

Witch Doctor v. Lock Jaw:
Maybe the most predicable one, both in how it went and the result.

Sawblaze v. Monsoon:
I've come to like Monsoon's design. Their ability to tilt is unique and was utilized in some cool ways this season. That said, Jamison Go just broke one of the best driving performances of the season over their heads. That was incredible work scoring hits without losing his own weapon to that behemoth Monsoon is running.

Minotaur v. Malice:
Kind of surprised to see how long Malice could hang in there. God drat that damage on their weapon. :stare:

Hypershock v. Riptide:
"We are the Mike Tyson of Battlebots." Easy there, tough guy. Get back to us when you actually win a championship. :rolleyes:
Will Bales said out loud what everyone is thinking: make them take a big shot. Unfortunately, he Florida Man'd his way into oblivion. I don't think Copperhead is going to be the one to bring Riptide down, so it's probably going to be up to HUGE.

Or Minotaur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Railing Kill posted:

Also: I am starting to "get" Jake Ewart

Dude loves what he does, loves the existence of the sport, and his family members actively make and sell parts designed to make better robots for everybody plus take contact work to build frames etc on their heavy machinery iirc

BattleBots competition has way more in common with Great British Bake-off than a usual sports tournament. Team Riptide doesn't realize this, so they come off as jerks. In contrast, Ray Billings can gently caress up tons of robots but everybody's gonna cheer when he shows up.