Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

shes just so hard to kill its almost a waste of time to go after her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
You can def bait an antimage pick with a first pick support Medusa, then pick the rest of your teams heroes with the aim of just barrelling down a lane and taking rax at 15 minutes, and the game is over when am only has 2 items.

That said, I had a support Medusa who maxed split shot before putting a point into mana shield and died 6 times in the first 10 minutes. She also just went with a carry build so eventually came online and became our carry even with all the early deaths. Game was a slog for the first 30 minutes tho.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone building blade mail on Dusa yet? Full returns the whole loving time

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think I lost over 1000 MMR in this most recent recalibration. As a pos5 spammer, I really, REALLY don't like this patch and being level 5 at 12 minutes in a game with a mildly rough start.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Since the wisdom runes give experience to the player with the least, and stacked creeps also giving 50% to the stacker, you should be keeping up. Maybe try going on wisdom rune stealing missions?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Since the wisdom runes give experience to the player with the least, and stacked creeps also giving 50% to the stacker, you should be keeping up. Maybe try going on wisdom rune stealing missions?

The enemy team was crushing us in a game I played earlier, and living on our side of the map, so I snuck over to their Wisdom rune and there were like 5 piled up. Unfortunately this coup did not change the outcome of the game at all.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Deathball strats are super strong right now. Offlane just picks a pipe/crimson carrier, and pushes towers until the game ends.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Pipe/crimson feels so good that if my offlane is indicating that they're going to pick a farming or pickoff core instead of a big aura buyer I'll just pick a beefy 4 and buy the auras myself

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I do try to go and grab theirs around the 7 minute mark, and it usually helps. I definitely need to stack more as well.

I think the main problem, fundamentally, is that I find that the hero I spam and my own personal laning strategy with it might just be a lot less effective than they once were in the laning phase. I am an AA spammer and I used to buy a LOT of mangoes (used to start with 4) and just incessantly bully the carry or offlaner out of lane with cold feet whenever they try to last hit until they were low enough to kill them. At the same time I'd right click trade with the other support, trying to keep the balance of the XP in the favor of my core. Essentially I sacrificed my health and mana in an attempt to keep them low enough to both annoy the poo poo out of them and to get them to accidentally overcommit. This used to be quite effective. By all accounts it was very, very annoying to play against, and I rode that to Divine 4.

But with the changes to regen counts I don't feel comfortable buying literally all the mangoes anymore, so I've changed up my starting build to something that doesn't quite work as well. And with the stun timing changes, I don't get quite as much damage off if they get stuck as I used to. I guess the real problem is that I'm just having trouble adjusting after playing the same way for essentially three years straight. It seems that now, in most games I get the enemy pretty low but not low enough to finish them off, and I end up completely out of mana and with low health and nothing to show for it, since we didn't get a kill.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Superrodan posted:

changes to regen counts
What does this mean? I don't see anything about mangoes in the patch notes but maybe it was in one of the older ones.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Corla Plankun posted:

What does this mean? I don't see anything about mangoes in the patch notes but maybe it was in one of the older ones.

The early game Regen items now have stock numbers. So you can't have 6 mangoes on each of your teammates at the start. That means if your 5 buys three mangoes, the other lanes will have less to buy for themselves

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Aw gently caress, last time I was playing i had a pretty good record with nine mango weaver. Bummer!

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Geight posted:

Pipe/crimson feels so good that if my offlane is indicating that they're going to pick a farming or pickoff core instead of a big aura buyer I'll just pick a beefy 4 and buy the auras myself

I play mostly 3 and 4 and this is all I'm ever looking for.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The other thing I've found with this patch so far is a LOT more giving up and flaming instantly whenever something goes wrong. It feels almost like behavior score was reset or something, I've been at max behavior score pretty much forever, and rage buybacks were a thing of the past until this patch. Now I've had three in the past week, always from our carry or offlane who is complaining in the first few minutes and just buys back immediately if they die. I think that's just a side effect of people that haven't played in nearly a year coming back to the game for the first time, but I can't be sure.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

new patches are always way more toxic cause so many people who quit come back

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Superrodan posted:

It seems that now, in most games I get the enemy pretty low but not low enough to finish them off, and I end up completely out of mana and with low health and nothing to show for it, since we didn't get a kill.

Blood grenade can help with this.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011

Superrodan posted:

I do try to go and grab theirs around the 7 minute mark, and it usually helps. I definitely need to stack more as well.

I think the main problem, fundamentally, is that I find that the hero I spam and my own personal laning strategy with it might just be a lot less effective than they once were in the laning phase. I am an AA spammer and I used to buy a LOT of mangoes (used to start with 4) and just incessantly bully the carry or offlaner out of lane with cold feet whenever they try to last hit until they were low enough to kill them. At the same time I'd right click trade with the other support, trying to keep the balance of the XP in the favor of my core. Essentially I sacrificed my health and mana in an attempt to keep them low enough to both annoy the poo poo out of them and to get them to accidentally overcommit. This used to be quite effective. By all accounts it was very, very annoying to play against, and I rode that to Divine 4.

But with the changes to regen counts I don't feel comfortable buying literally all the mangoes anymore, so I've changed up my starting build to something that doesn't quite work as well. And with the stun timing changes, I don't get quite as much damage off if they get stuck as I used to. I guess the real problem is that I'm just having trouble adjusting after playing the same way for essentially three years straight. It seems that now, in most games I get the enemy pretty low but not low enough to finish them off, and I end up completely out of mana and with low health and nothing to show for it, since we didn't get a kill.

Sounds like your in lane to much splitting xp with your core. AA is hero that really benefits his carry by stacking and pulling the wave back. You can play the way you currently are, but he needs to be paired with a carry with kill potential, because if you're not getting those kills, your just going to have the same result your currently having. Carry with a stun and some burst work well, like wk, ck, slark leash will help your stun too etc.

The current pub meta is supports pick first, which means your carry selection might just gently caress up your lane lol

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

You can also build up some fat stacks with one level in W now since it deals damage innately, just account for the creeps being slightly slowed by it

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Geight posted:

You can also build up some fat stacks with one level in W now since it deals damage innately, just account for the creeps being slightly slowed by it

The duration has been made quite short at low levels, however. Not really long enough to use for significant farming I'd say.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

You just make the stacks, and then plead with one of your cores to go do them before the enemy does. Now you even get XP in addition to stack gold!

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It was an only in dota thing but I do not miss march of the machines. At all.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm a Tinker spammer with 1,300 games, and I too don't miss March of the Machines. Defense Matrix as a third spell is so good, especially late game when you have your entire team shielded during a high ground push.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

They can forget about March of the Machines forever but I think the general consensus is that Tinker's current shard ability is considered worthless, and that's always a bummer.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Now that I’m basically forced to get shard thanks to the Tormentor giving them out, I’ve found it slightly useful to push tankers off me. Maybe I can do a cool trick where I jump behind someone and shove them towards my team.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

They should bring back March of the Machines.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They should bring back everything from 5 years ago because I started playing again this week and I have no idea what is going on

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hit creep, don't die, kill buildings - the game's hardly changed at all :colbert:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

now that Magnus is the hot new carry and every other universal hero is buying weird items I'm going to consider the attribute change a success

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Harold Fjord posted:

They should bring back everything from 5 years ago because I started playing again this week and I have no idea what is going on

Yeah ever since they added talents the game is fundamentally different, and to me at least it's just straight worse. Every time I try it again now I'm just saddened by the loss of a game I loved.

All that said maybe I'm just a grog, I have thousands and thousands of hours from AoS through dota2 and I just don't have fun if I try to play anymore.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

mistermojo posted:

now that Magnus is the hot new carry and every other universal hero is buying weird items I'm going to consider the attribute change a success

Why Magnus?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
My guess would be fancy new Aghs + universal stats now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Deathball meta is in right now and Magnus is good at that too

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Universal heroes were good sans brood now they scale even better. Don’t know why the frog felt they needed a buff, but whatever I’ll keep getting free wins on void spirit

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yeah ever since they added talents the game is fundamentally different, and to me at least it's just straight worse. Every time I try it again now I'm just saddened by the loss of a game I loved.

All that said maybe I'm just a grog, I have thousands and thousands of hours from AoS through dota2 and I just don't have fun if I try to play anymore.

Think it's just you in fairness, I played garena through HON and while there are heroes I wish were ported dota2 is in the best state as a game it's ever been

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I sometimes play with some friends who came from HoN, they switched 7 years ago, and they still persistently name all the dota items and heroes using HoN names. Who the gently caress is Andromeda?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Vengeful Spirit.
(I, too, have friends who came from HoN.)

Anyway, I like most of the DotA 2 changes - the new map is the only one I've been ambivalent on for quite some time. Talents and neutral items were an especially cool thing to discover when coming back to the game.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

terrorblade will always be the HoN dev who called everyone the n word, to me.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

maliken was pretty different than terrorblade, mostly because he was super racist

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Never trust a ____!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's me, BLACKSMITH