Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
binary race partition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

turok 3 port i beg

Turok 3 was just weird. Going from hub-based key hunting FPS with large areas to Half-Life style linear shooter with a story! made me scratch my head when I rented it. It was pretty solid, just not what I was expecting.

HolyKrap posted:

Can't wait for Turok Rage Wars PC!!

Yes, please rerelase the game without the bugs. I remember on especially egregious one that stopped your progress through the "campaign" by not having one of the stages load.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/ValveArchive/status/1658925366705278976?s=19

I wanted to play this so badly when I was a kid

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Bumhead posted:

He’s always come across as being on the deeply weird and uncomfortable side of the nerd/tech stuff, but this probably puts an exclamation mark on anyone needing to give a poo poo about him from this point on.
I'm somewhat conflicted on Carmack. His libertarian views have long been known, but he's not particularly politically motivated and so while his views certainly come from a position of privilege he's seemed, overall, fairly harmless.

Meanwhile I do give him a good bit of credit, not only for his body of work, but also his willingness to embrace community modding and his insistence on open-sourcing id's engines. Those were things that were generally not done among development studios at the time (and I doubt Todd or anyone else was pushing for it). That insistence on openness is consistent with his libertarian (especially vs. corporatist) views, and without it I don't think DOOM or Quake would have the same legacy that it does, and PC gaming in general might look much more closer to console gaming today.

But yeah, attending "BasedCon" or whatever is (whether he intends it to or not) an endorsement of actively harmful views and I'm not a fan of that. Also he hasn't done anything relevant in a decade, so.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Arivia posted:

Carmack’s fast inverse milkshake duck

Early FPS Megathread: fast inverse milkshake duck

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, now I'm re-upset about what we actually got for TF2 even though it still owned in its own way. :argh:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
HROT question: has anyone found a way to get to the last secret on E2M6? I've watched videos but still have spent the last twenty minutes trying to rocketjump over the gap without success. I even drove the goddamn bike all the way from the mission start to see if it can be used as a platform, no success.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Probably would have been fun but the TF2 we did get was definitely the better direction

Assepoester posted:

I know we're all talking about the fact that HROT was just released but don't forget that the very weird Elder Scrolls Daggerfall style dungeon crawler meets CDROM era low quality FMV game Hand of Doom (full version of the Dread X Collection minigame) also just came out, this is exactly the sort of weird mid-90s fps you would expect to see on the 3DO right next to Immercenary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqk8iFkoQE

Neat

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

same. i was super excited for this when i was heavy into tfc

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The original vision of TF2 would have ended up as something like Battlefield 2. And it probably would have felt stale if they had kept to their original vision in 2007, given the explosion of modern military shooters in the years between. But I still wish I could have played it. It took so long that things wrapped around, and the more abstract cartoony arena shooter felt like a breath of fresh air.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Deakul posted:

God drat, now I'm re-upset about what we actually got for TF2 even though it still owned in its own way. :argh:

IMO odds are, that direction for TF would have been massively un-fun ... it reads like all the pie-in-the-sky simulationist stuff that ends up sucking in a game. Unless you REALLY lean into it ARMA-style, for certain audiences. (Just now I had a special LOL at the idea of having an Instructor class.)

That being said...

a) Even back then I knew it sounded like BS, but
b) Since it was *Valve* that kept insisting it would be fun, I reaaallly wanted to believe.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Thanks for Doom and Quake and all that Carmack, but now please kindly gently caress off

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Guess we all have to prepare for racist, libertarian AGIs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SCheeseman posted:

Guess we all have to prepare for racist, libertarian AGIs.

this is not a change from what i was preparing for already

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Though he was always pretty self evidently a libertarian type, Carmack always struck me as someone who cared more about whatever project was in front of him than anything going on in the world. As long as he was working on engineering projects I think the world was safe from him looking around and realizing politics exists, and now he's retired and divorced so I think the floodgates are going to open, lol.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The TF2 I still kinda wish for is the alien invasion one.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Didn't Masters Of Doom say Carmack was diagnosed with sociopathy when he stole those computers as a teen?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Didn't Masters Of Doom say Carmack was diagnosed with sociopathy when he stole those computers as a teen?

I think it was something like he got a psychiatrist to look at him and they said he had sociopathic tendencies but it wasn't an actual diagnosis.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

haveblue posted:

binary race partition

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

anilEhilated posted:

HROT question: has anyone found a way to get to the last secret on E2M6? I've watched videos but still have spent the last twenty minutes trying to rocketjump over the gap without success. I even drove the goddamn bike all the way from the mission start to see if it can be used as a platform, no success.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the broken grate bridge gap, it really is just that hard. It took me some 30 tries when that episode came out if I remember right. Very unforgiving and not worth it. You can't make it rocket jumping from the floor. The best way to do it is to be on the other side of the gap, face away from the broken bridge, jump and fire a grenade at the wall. That should launch yourself across. Except you"ll be hitting your head on the ceiling, or come up just short, if you're not in the exact right place when you launch yourself. If there was some easier way I couldn't find video evidence of it at the time. Just lots of quick loading.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In general, I'm finding the HROT secrets to be hard. Or better said, I'm not *finding* them, lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

In general, I'm finding the HROT secrets to be hard. Or better said, I'm not *finding* them, lol.

press use on all wall textures :bang:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Carmack is a hair away from being a Deus Ex-que walking AI that ends blown up by a hefty amount of explosives.

That or the baseline for Skynet.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

"Mitzi was having a net negative impact on my life."

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

david_a posted:

I believe they actually bonded over a mutual appreciation of Ayn Rand

That was in Masters of Doom, yeah

Arivia posted:

I think it was something like he got a psychiatrist to look at him and they said he had sociopathic tendencies but it wasn't an actual diagnosis.

Don't ask about the cat

fatherboxx posted:

"Mitzi was having a net negative impact on my life."

Don't ask about the cat

It's pretty standard cliche for super-talented uber-nerd libertarians at this point, isn't it? Great at code, assume the first most basic-bitch answer for human experiences and completely gently caress it up?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Carmack the programmer is a genius and a poet whose work and principles made the world a better place.

But Carmack, the guy that interacts with society? Total loving idiot.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Carmack the programmer is a genius and a poet whose work and principles made the world a better place.

But Carmack, the guy that interacts with society? Total loving idiot.

His work? Yeah. His principles? Nope

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Guillermus posted:

His work? Yeah. His principles? Nope

Eh, coding/software principles. The whole open source thing, not the "ethical treatment of people" thing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Eh, coding/software principles. The whole open source thing, not the "ethical treatment of people" thing.

In that case yes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Carmack reply:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1659173689986883584

Translation: he is really a socially clueless centrist libertarian book nerd.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 18, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

lol

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
"There were no politics at the sci-fi convention" is right up there with "I bet you think Robocop is political."

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Any attempt to reason this away kinda falls apart when the thing is literally called Basedcon.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 18, 2023

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
"I am insulated enough from consequences that I earnestly believe philosophy is apolitical"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

Carmack reply:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1659173689986883584

Translation: he is really a socially clueless centrist libertarian book nerd.

Long tweets being stupid as hell batting 1.000

Weedle
May 31, 2006

going to the race realism convention but shaking my head the whole time so everyone knows i disapprove

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
In other, potentially less disappointing news, the Chasm The Rift remaster has been updated on Steam and GOG with bugfixes, Steam Deck support, custom difficulty settings, Doomguy Face™ and the ability to load the expansion levels from the main menu instead of having to use a launch option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

In other, potentially less disappointing news, the Chasm The Rift remaster has been updated on Steam and GOG with bugfixes, Steam Deck support, custom difficulty settings, Doomguy Face™ and the ability to load the expansion levels from the main menu instead of having to use a launch option.

sweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New slayers X announcement dropping now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3dn445UJSM