Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
old ladies and cat dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

LegionAreI posted:

Good poo poo. Don't read the comments though, man. I didn't think this old game still got that level of "discourse."

My experience with mmos, especially old ones, has been that 25% of people live in a major urban center in California and the other 75% live in rural Alabama

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

In the ages old tradition of updates to player characters, they managed to mangle everyone's player characters. :rubby:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol these character options are great, omg

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Demon Of The Fall posted:

lol these character options are great, omg

Love that humans have the Beorning style stubble options now.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Anniversary event has started in-game.

All the older expansions (not Beyond the Shadow) are on sale: https://www.lotro.com/expansions
Lotro Point purchases in the in-game store include 'double bonus points' until April 30th.

Gonna spend a lot of money these next two weeks!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Dumb question: if I'm currently VIP until the 27th, can I buy the on-sale expacs for when my sub expires? I know I can't buy quest packs on the LotRO store until my sub expires.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

Dumb question: if I'm currently VIP until the 27th, can I buy the on-sale expacs for when my sub expires? I know I can't buy quest packs on the LotRO store until my sub expires.

The expansion sales are not in-game, they’re purely for cash money on the website. That weird purchase restriction on quest packs only applies in the in-game store I believe.

I bought all the ones I was missing today as a VIP so can confirm you can do what you’re thinking.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Excellent. Buying some expacs when I get paid tomorrow then. Thank you!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
After last year's mountain of freebies this year's anniversary gift feels so small.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

After last year's mountain of freebies this year's anniversary gift feels so small.

Only 4 more years to the 20th anniversary! :corsair:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Comrade Koba posted:

Only 4 more years to the 20th anniversary! :corsair:

It would be a helluva feat to reach that milestone. Here's hoping.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

I started playing again and decided to pick up where I left off: the original epic quests. I check my completed quests and at the bottom of the list it says I finished Book 9.

I head to Evendim. Calenglad doesn't have a quest to offer me. Laerdan isn't there. Golodir doesn't have a quest to give me in Angmar.

I spend about three hours desperately looking for the missing quest. Put in a ticket, then go to the quest log to see what I have and see....

Vol 1., Book 1
Vol 1., Book 10
Vol 1., Book 11
Vol 1., Book 12
Vol 1., Book 2
Vol 1., Book 4
Vol 1., Book 5
Vol 1., Book 6
Vol 1., Book 7
Vol 1., Book 8
Vol 1., Book 9

Turns out I had already finished all the quests except book 3 - because Before the Shadows version of book 3 doesn't count for the achievement. I didn't notice because 10, 11, and 12 were listed between 1 and 2!

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

So the avatar update is kind of interesting. There was a person who really kind of complained about his characters changing who took the time to customize and has gone completely 180 on it. Seeing some of these results, I have to agree. It's a shame SSG mucked up the initial translation because these are honestly quite better

That hair though

This one is pretty awesome:

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 21, 2023

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

lol the web site ui is a mess and I think I'm a moron. It wouldn't let me buy any expansions because it said my credit card was already on file and to click the "saved payment methods" tab that didn't seem to exist and in the process of trying to figure things out I think I accidentally queued my account for cancellation. I've got a ticket in with support. How responsive are they? I'm guessing not.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

unimportantguy posted:

lol the web site ui is a mess and I think I'm a moron. It wouldn't let me buy any expansions because it said my credit card was already on file and to click the "saved payment methods" tab that didn't seem to exist and in the process of trying to figure things out I think I accidentally queued my account for cancellation. I've got a ticket in with support. How responsive are they? I'm guessing not.

I got a response to my dumb ticket above the next morning

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Any plugin advice? Just started this up for the first time in years.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
The Plugin Compendium is a good plugin manager.

I really like Prime Plugin. Don't use most of it, but I enjoy the combined/sorted bag that comes with it. In the past, I've had a couple times where it glitches. It took me too long to realize there's a yellow circle icon near the top of the bag that reloads it without having to reload all other plugins.
Titan Bar I used to have this displaying more info, but whittled it down to just a couple entries over the years. Lots of little panels if you need it.
Travel Window II is very handy to have all your travel skills in one button, especially if your class has extra ones.
MoorMap is a markable map with some handy annotations for treasures/rares.
AltHolic helps keep my alts inventory/info organized especially since I started crafting last time I played.
Deed Tracker is a decent overview of your Deeds.
Item Treasury is a searchable database of all items. I love working on cosmetic outfits and have used this to hunt down specific gear, usually looking through the wiki in conjunction.

JRR Skins Collection I liked the Greenleaves skin, but I actually mainly use it for the changes to the in-game panels. Each skin makes some of them larger/more readable

quote:

Panels enhancements included in each JRR skin :

- A taller dressing room
- A taller barter panel
- A taller auction Panel
- A taller mail panel
- A taller vendor panel
- A taller crafting panel, with localization fixes
- A taller enemies tracking panel. Displays 20 names at once instead of 8 by default.
- A taller inspect panel.
- A more compact connection Status icon.
- Numerical PVP rank icons
- A (smaller) windowed map. In fact it is displayed at its real size (no more zooming blur)
- Custom Saruman rings (displayed only during Orthanc tower raid fight against Saruman)
- Outfits management panel reorganized icons.
- Less annoying store buttons within various panels

. . . Store buttons removed :

Character panel : Equipment tab (enhance) & Appearance tab (buy outfits) buttons
Destiny barter
Extended Crafting Panel : buy recipes / buy mats / accelerate buttons

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

unimportantguy posted:

Customer Service answered my ticket and got me sorted out on making sure I don't accidentally delete my account but I still can't buy anything on the LOTRO Market. Anybody else done this before and can point out the (probably obvious) thing I'm missing?

Edit: Insanely, it worked when I tried logging in on from a web browser on my phone. Nothing on my computer would work. Absolutely bizarre.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 22, 2023

Pryce
May 21, 2011

unimportantguy posted:

Customer Service answered my ticket and got me sorted out on making sure I don't accidentally delete my account but I still can't buy anything on the LOTRO Market. Anybody else done this before and can point out the (probably obvious) thing I'm missing?

“Payment Sources” is a very tiny link in tiny text at the very top of the Expansions shop page when you’re logged in. Like, above the site header. https://www.lotro.com/expansions

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/bullroarer-update-36-beta-1-coming-soon.511/#post-3148

quote:

Welcome to Update 36 and King's Gondor!​

What is King's Gondor?
King's Gondor is the latest level 140 region being introduced to LOTRO as part of Update 36. This region is set after the Battle of Pelennor Fields and the Great Wedding of Aragorn and Arwen. Gone are the gloomy dark skies, replaced with bright and sunny fields and hills! By and large, if you are familiar with the original Central and Eastern Gondor regions, you will be familiar with King's Gondor from a navigation standpoint. There are some new additions, with impassables pulled down in spots to allow for more exploration and to bring something fresh to an old region.​

How do I get to King's Gondor? ​
Go to Minas Tirith (After Battle) and head south through the Pelennor Fields. Where once there stood an impassable, there is one no more! Questing begins in this area of the Pelennor Fields and in under-construction version of The Harlond. From there, you can explore Gondor up to Linhir, where the gates are closed and impassables are imposed.​

Known Issue: While the Stable-master system is available, some routes are in progress and may not function properly.​
Known Issue: The Voice Overs for quests and instances are not yet in game.​

The Paths of Valour
We have reworked the Landscape Difficulty setting system that we introduced in Treebeard and will be opening it to the general game worlds.​

We've added a new Faction and reward structure called The Paths of Valour that can be advanced by playing on higher difficulties.​

You can activate your difficulty setting by speaking with the Hardened Traveller (can be found in major hubs and newbie zones), who will offer you an array of quests representing the different difficulty levels.​
Upon accepting and completing one of these quests, your challenges on the roads of Middle-earth will increase substantially.
The difficulty system turns itself off in group instances (3+), in the Ettenmoors, and any time the Delving system is activated. It will reactivate when you leave any of these areas.
There are titles available for activating a difficulty of 3 or higher and keeping it there from level 10 to level 50, and then to level 130 respectively. The title granted depends on the class you play through with, but can be used by any character on your account.​
In order to earn these titles, you must keep the difficulty system active for the entire leveling span from level 10 thru 50/130. Entering areas of the game world where it is temporarily suppressed will not invalidate your title attempt, however turning it down or off via the Hardened Traveller will.
Existing characters above level 10 will not be able to earn the titles themselves, but will be able to use those titles if they are earned by another character on your account.
When playing at Fearless or higher, enemies of your own level or higher may drop Tokens of Valour.​
These can be turned in to complete weekly tasks from the Hardened Traveller, which will increase your reputation with the Paths of Valour faction.
At Fearless difficulty (3-6), these tokens can drop for up to 3 members in a Fellowship.
At Heroic difficulty (7+) they can drop for up to 6 members in a Fellowship.
The drop rate of these tokens increases somewhat with higher difficulties.
The difficulty settings and effects are pretty much the same as they were on Treebeard, though we've changed up the names a bit, and added a few variations to the hotspot effects you can encounter under the Eye of Sauron.​

The Hardened Traveller has a menu of barter rewards that include a small set of reputation accelerators for the faction and morale/power potions. More importantly, he also offers an array of 8 new Epic variations of familiar emotes which you will be able to find on the Collections panel.​

Delvings
The Annúminas instances Glinghant, Haudh Valandil, and Ost Elendil have been converted to be playable as Delvings, as well as The Great Barrows instances Sambrog, Thadûr and The Maze.​
Delving Barter Vendors and Mission Givers have also been added to all our Skirmish Camps. We did this to make it easier to turn in delving quests no matter where players are. Delving Mission Givers have also been given that title as a role to make it easy to spot them.​
See more details regarding Delving changes in the Release Notes below.​

Ettenmoors/PvMP
We have added a siege mechanic to the Ettenmoors. The towers of Lugazag and Tirith Rhaw can now have gates established at the entrance and at the top of the stairs. There are quests available when Siege! is active in the Ettenmoors. We further reduced the number of defenders at these locations.​
The addition of siege brings with it a new type of item available for purchase through commendations; these new schematics are needed to "build" the siege weaponry used to tear down the gates and defend the walls of the towers.​

When a side takes control of the tower, there are two quests that open to allow for the construction of the gates. When these are completed, the gate will appear at the upgraded locale.​

Schematics can only be used at locations marked by glowing hotspots within and outside of the towers. The controlling faction can build ballista. The attacking faction can build catapults and battering rams to tear down the doors.​

We lowered the award for commendation and renown/infamy gains when in fellowships and raids. Raids of 24 will return far less than they used to and when a target has many single contributors that are part of eliminating that foe - their value of that defeat is also reduced.​

We also changed the value of higher rank players so that they are worth more when defeated. Lower ranked players are worth far less.​

Please see Orion's post for further details regarding this new system!​

Release Notes​
Classes
Several player stun-removal skills were inappropriately flagged as 'Immediate' causing them to occasionally cancel themselves and fail to free you from stuns. These skills are now correctly 'Fast' rather than 'Immediate' skills.
High Elf, Beorning, and Stout Axe Dwarf racial recall skills can now be used while mounted on any steed.
Brawler
The Brawler mounted combat skill Take Breath will now properly update the incoming healing rating when active.
Innate Strength: Raw Power
Fixed description of trait, its values now correctly state that it grants +2.5/+5/+7.5/+10%.
No change was made to the actual bonus granted by the trait, this is purely a tooltip change to have it reflect the real values.
Tracery Innate Strength: Damage/Threat
Skill bonus has been modified [+10%->+5%], but is now added directly to the value of Innate Strength: Raw Power buff, which makes it considerably more effective than it was previously.
Burglar
Aim skill now works with 'Throw Knife'.
Champion
Tracery Swift Strike: Damage & Power Cost
Renamed to Swift Strike/Blade: Damage & Power Restore
Tracery now increases the power restored by Swift Strike rather than reducing the (now non-existant) power cost. Magnitude changed from [-33%->+20%].
Guardian
The Cardolan Essence of Retaliation effects' durations no longer benefit from the War-chant duration legacy.
Rune-keeper
The skill Do Not Fall this Day no longer breaks the target of the skill out of stealth.
Crafting
The crafting ingredients "Tuft of Torahammas' Fur", "Great Hoary Aurochs Hide" and "Speckled Shell Fragment" can now all be stored in crafting carryalls.
Beasts in the Ettenmoors that drop crafting hides will now correctly drop Gundabad Hides instead of Eorlingas Hides.
Crafters can now make two new tiers of selectable craftable essence boxes.
Gundabad Skarn Deposits have been renamed to Brilliant Skarn Deposits.
Frost-rimed Black Ash Branches have been renamed to Heavy Wind-swept Black Ash Branches
Quests, Deeds and Adventure Areas
All slayer deeds in the Wells of Langflood, will now properly reward players with LOTRO Points.
Missions and Delvings
The Annúminas instances Glinghant, Haudh Valandil, and Ost Elendil have been converted to be playable as Delvings.
The Great Barrows instances Sambrog, Thadûr and The Maze have been converted to be playable as Delvings.
Created a Selectable Delving Extraordinary Box that only drops in instances at tiers 7+. While still rare, new instances have a significantly higher drop rate for this item.
The Delving Tracery Archive Travel Skill no longer has any reputation requirements.
Mission: Jorthkyn and the Hounds
The Mission now appropriately identifies that you need to kill 8 wargs along with the 8 Jorthkyn to advance the quest.
The Mission had some pesky low-level monsters that really wanted to get in on the fight. They have been reprimanded to stay in their lanes.
Fixed an issue with Dangerous Deliveries mission where the player would pick the pie up twice upon completing the induction to pick up the pie.
The bridge in the mission Patrol the Township that was bereft of physics has found its physics and will now support your character as it should.
Before the Shadow missions that referred to previous mission givers have been updated with references to current mission givers.
The mission The Nettingglade had a single cocoon that decided it didn't want to sparkle. The spider responsible has been admonished and though it pledged to swallow all Light in the world, it relented and allowed it's cocoon to sparkle once again.
Delving Reward Changes:
Delving Selectable Crafting Boxes that drop at tier 7 and above can now be disenchanted instead for 20 Delvings Writs. These boxes now have a six hour expiration timer on them. These changes do not affect existing Crafting Boxes.
Changed how many writs completing Delving quests give. Tier 1-3 now give 10 writs, Tier 4-6 give 20 writs, Tier 7-9 give 30 writs and Tier 10-12 give 40 writs.
Two new cosmetic pets added to Delving Barter.
Delving armour will now be disenchantable for more Delving Writs. Common armour will disenchant for 10 writs, rare armour will disenchant for 20 writs, incomp armour for 30 writs.
Added Tier 1 and Tier 2 Essence Boxes to the Delving Barter for Writs, and removed Tier 0.
Added Morale and Power Potions to the Delving Barter for Writs. Morale and Power potions also drop as rewards in high tier delvings.
Delving Quartermasters and Delving Mission Givers have been added to Skirmish Camps, to make Delving quest turn-in more convenient.
"Delving Mission Givers" have had that phrase added as their role, to more easily identify them.
Housing and Decoration
The Homestead Steed can now be correctly placed on a hitching post by hobbit, dwarf, and Stout-axe dwarf characters.
Items and Rewards
Might-based selection boxes no longer reference or contain medium armour.
Many medium Might-based armour pieces obtained from quests from levels 1-75 have been updated from medium to heavy armour.
Enemies in Moria no longer drop obsolete Legendary Item rewards.
The Distillation set now properly identifies itself as a Distillation set and not a Crock Pot.
Incomparable Earrings received from the 3-stack instances from Return to Carn Dûm have had the names of their set bonuses changed to reflect the stat's given by the items in their groups.
'Dwarf-make Helm' cosmetic renamed to 'Dwarf-make Circlet'
The Champion Legendary Item Tracery "Brutal Strikes Damage" now only appears in The Berserker barter profiles.
The decorative band on the Sightseer's Straw Hat will now correctly display dye colors
The weapon Candelleth's Hammer is now categorized correctly in the Auction House.
The Veteran of Helm's Deep Quartermaster now offers items for Beornings and Brawlers.
PvMP/Ettenmoors
We have adjusted the distribution of Infamy/Renown while grouped. In the past, there was a modifier that increased the value of player kills when more than 6 kill contributors were involved. This resulted in the value of a single kill, while in a raid, to be valued over 2x what the kill should have been worth.
We have adjusted this modifier to make these values - in the absence of any other modifiers - equivalent to equal distribution of the infamy value of the kill.
We have adjusted the bonus modifier to infamy/renown gains when killing ranked players. This change rewards a higher contribution bonus for killing players of a higher rank.
The War-spoils Carry-all icons have been updated and no longer display a bottle of liquid
Lootboxes found by monster players now always drop 3 items from three specific tables:
Table 1 includes potions, barter lockboxes, and the potential for 500 commendations with weighting toward the barter box, and then equivalent draws for the remaining items.
Table 2 includes an equal chance for random perk items from a pool of 5 items.
The 3rd table has an equal chance to drop a single Audacity upgrade scroll, 2 Audacity upgrade scrolls, Lord's Symbols, Captain's Marks, 1k Commendations, 1.5k Commendations or a new Cosmetic Selection Box.
The Cosmetic Selection Box contains 2 new skins for each class. Previews are available on NPCs present near the Gramsfoot retreat circle.
The Selection Box also contains several new cosmetic weapons: Thrâng's Sword, a silvered scimitar, a spider-clan trident, an off-hand Gundabad mace, a Spider-clan staff, an Easterling Ghost Bow, and a new Dunharrow Shield.
The Box also contains a new cosmetic type that can be slotted into appearance Corruptions to change the style of your 'March!' skill emitted effects. These include: a white glow, fire trail, acid trail, and a "blue-foot" trail.
The eggs around Grodris in the Isendeep Mine will now hatch if disturbed during the battle against the matron.
Fixed an issue with the first and second marshal rewards not providing keys to the chest. The quests for First and Second marshal now correctly reward the key to the chest.
Tokens of Valour will now go into the War-spoils Carry-all.
Updated the new Monster Play tutorial to reference using skills on training dummy Kelsen, Jalessa, or Light training-dummy Orion. If you choose the other training dummies you are locked in combat for the full duration of the spawn - which is five minutes. This is bad. Please use the safety dummies. Use those initial skill training dummy Kelsen, Jalessa, or Light training-dummy Orion.
First Marshal An and Tyrant Uzulthrang are back in action and ready to rush Tol Ascarnen when the opposition is in control. The rewards on the quests to use these two is increased significantly. Each has also been buffed appropriately.
All values and costs for Lainedhal's Insignias were reduced. You can now purchase the old versions for nostalgia, but the tier 15 version is available to all rank 1 players and better for 2000 commendations and has a 1m cooldown just as the monster player brand.
The Rank 9 mount available in monster play now has a full +68% movement bonus because it should have been upgraded along with all other mounts that are this hard to get.
We adjusted the damage done by Spider Hatchlings to be more in line with creatures that are level 140.
There was a bug introduced when we lowered the cost of monster play potions where we did not lower the amount purchasable from the barter npc. This has been corrected and now you can only purchase in stacks of three.
Mazauk and Old Goldhead have been refreshed and stand ready to help you capture Lugazag or Tirith Rhaw.
Old U21 gear was using the old audacity values. This has been reduced to 1.
Landscape
Court of Celeborn now has a map
Floating objects in the Allegiance Halls and in Mordor have been grounded
Incorrect textures in Minas Tirith has been resolved
General Notes
Several fading or overlapping combat music bugs have been fixed in the Race of Man and hobbit tutorials, the Archet raid, and the Trouble at Tuckborough skirmish.
Allegiance panel can be resized horizontally more.
Certain Brawler Belt Buckles were appearing under the Lore-master class in searches in the Auction House. That has been fixed.
Upgraded the compiler used to compile the 32 bit game client to make it compatible with upgraded OpenAL.
Clydesdale mounts can now be used in Thorin's Hall, the Hall Under the Mountain, and the Hall of Vérnozal
The Assistant Stable-master at Elrond's Stables in Rivendell douses the horse less frequently.
Facepaint rewards acquired from Hobnanigans now correctly show on Human avatars.
The Draught Horse cosmetic pets received in the Homesteads and Harvests Coffers have been renamed to "Miniature" Draught horses.
Matching full size Draught horse cosmetic pet tomes have been granted (account-wide) to everyone that purchased the Homesteads and Harvests Coffers.

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 10, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Pretty sure the new Gondor revision is prep work for the expansion taking place in Umbar to the immediate south.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Oh man, finally they are porting that difficulty system over to live. And improving it as well? Hype. Honestly I wish they'd get rid of the sauron orbital strike though, I'm curious what else they are adding for the "hotspot effects"

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe some goons would be interested in starting new toons and doing a deadly +6 fellowship when it comes to Landy? That might be fun

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d love to have that Master of Scrolls title but leveling another LM on increased difficulty sounds like a huge pain. I never played on treebeard, is the eye of Sauron thing punishing for more static casters? Sounds like it’d be annoying. Would be fun to go 1-140 again but not sure what class would handle it best. Maybe I’ll be a beoring finally.

Bread Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2010

I found it incredibly annoying for every class. Virtually every fight, even with the lowliest marsh fly, has a big meteor warning plop show up for you to get out of or get zapped. It makes no sense and gets very, very repetitive.

I basically only ever played on Dangerous, even though I think I would have liked the balance of difficulty one or two notches higher, just to keep that thing turned off.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/news/articles/orange-county-lotr?fbclid=IwAR3jkzWZHAQTWSs0skheR-y3f9hFEDrG8q1-DsaLK3XeTSPSkA4RVn08whc

Looks like Amazon is trying to do the LotR MMO again. Since it's based on the literature same as this one, does that mean if it comes out they'll shutter the doors on this?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Haven't heard anything about that directly, but Amazon Games vice president Christoph Hartmann talks a bit about if LotRO's existence will make the launch harder: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amazons-second-attempt-at-making-one-mmo-to-rule-them-all

quote:

"Not at all," says Hartmann. "First of all, I have a lot of respect for them to keep it going that long. They have a, not huge, but a very dedicated fanbase. But looking just at the technology, where we're at now, and where we will be in a couple of years, it's just worlds apart. It's a little exaggeration if I say it's going to be like black and white movies to colour, but that's the approach I want to take. It's just a completely different world.

"I think they actually can co-exist. Even the most likely scenario is… for people just to move over, because the other one is an old game. It's not a bad game, but the industry moves on at some point, and it's a long time from their release to ours."

So I guess the plan is "newer = better" and we will all just jump ship to New World: Hobbit Edition.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Diabetic posted:

https://www.amazongames.com/en-us/news/articles/orange-county-lotr?fbclid=IwAR3jkzWZHAQTWSs0skheR-y3f9hFEDrG8q1-DsaLK3XeTSPSkA4RVn08whc

Looks like Amazon is trying to do the LotR MMO again. Since it's based on the literature same as this one, does that mean if it comes out they'll shutter the doors on this?

The last time Amazon tried, MEE said it wouldn't affect LotRO. I don't see that it would have reason to change. This looks like it would be a new license and not a revoking or transfer of license away from LotRO. It'll be probably years before Amazon would get anything out the door, so LotRO is quite safe for quite awhile.

The only reason I see that LotRO would shut down is if Amazon actually made a good game and the playerbase significantly dropped in LotRO moving over.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Kaysette posted:

Haven't heard anything about that directly, but Amazon Games vice president Christoph Hartmann talks a bit about if LotRO's existence will make the launch harder: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/amazons-second-attempt-at-making-one-mmo-to-rule-them-all

So I guess the plan is "newer = better" and we will all just jump ship to New World: Hobbit Edition.

To me, I know the focus is the War of the Ring, but I'd REALLY be ok with anything taking place before or after LOTR opening it up more because we already know what they'd have to stick to for the progression. Why not explore the 2nd Age? Earlier in the 3rd Age? 4th Age? Or is it the contract wording keeps them stuck to LOTR and they can't deviate off that to an earlier / later part of the timeline?

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I don't actually know how the LOTR liscense is handed out but I do remember recalling someone saying that its harder to get permission for things that are only in the The Silmarillion and are not mentioned in the books. I think it was about The mordor games and how they could use Celebrimbor since he is in the appendixes but they couldn't use anything from The Silmarillion

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Which is why Sauron's fair form in Eregion is called Antheron instead of Annatar.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

https://forums.lotro.com/index.php?threads/a-note-from-middle-earth-enterprises-and-standing-stone-games-to-the-lotro-community.726/

quote:

A note from Middle-earth Enterprises and Standing Stone Games to the LOTRO Community

Hello everyone,

During the past few days, we’ve received a number of notes from excited and concerned community members about a new MMO coming to the Tolkien-verse from Amazon Games.

Some folks have asked what this means for LOTRO. We wanted to give everyone in the community an update and assure you all that LOTRO is not going away!

Like you, we, and our partners at Middle-earth Enterprises are huge fans of LOTRO. It is beloved, it is sixteen, it is evergreen. LOTRO is like the long-lived Ents, Elves and Dwarves; and we mere mortals, are the stewards of LOTRO and its community. Standing Stone has every intention of growing and supporting this community. The road goes ever on...

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

It’s pretty likely this game is not actually going to happen, just based on Amazon’s track record. I would say the only thing less likely than it getting released, is it getting released and actually being good.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Not entirely sure how these things work, but in case the new game does launch and does poorly, couldn’t Amazon just buy MEE and close down LotRO in order to try to force the existing player base on to the new one?

It would be monumentally stupid, but that wouldn’t be a first for Amazon.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Diabetic posted:

To me, I know the focus is the War of the Ring, but I'd REALLY be ok with anything taking place before or after LOTR opening it up more because we already know what they'd have to stick to for the progression. Why not explore the 2nd Age? Earlier in the 3rd Age? 4th Age? Or is it the contract wording keeps them stuck to LOTR and they can't deviate off that to an earlier / later part of the timeline?

Considering how much of a compressed, jumbled mess the first season of RoP was I'm not sure I trust Amazon to make a 2nd age game that isn't even more of a mess than they normally create.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

wizardofloneliness posted:

It’s pretty likely this game is not actually going to happen, just based on Amazon’s track record. I would say the only thing less likely than it getting released, is it getting released and actually being good.

Assuming it comes out, I'm wondering which character will look suspiciously like Jeff Bezos. Aragorn? Sauron?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If they just now made the agreement, that's like five years at best.

MMOs just take too long.

(I know it's nowhere near the same, but pantheon is now in nine years of development, lol. If you get rid of the lovely start, it's still had 5-6 years since their main funding)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

Not entirely sure how these things work, but in case the new game does launch and does poorly, couldn’t Amazon just buy MEE and close down LotRO in order to try to force the existing player base on to the new one?

It would be monumentally stupid, but that wouldn’t be a first for Amazon.

I was going to laugh because LOTRO doesn't have a population, but if this website is to be trusted, there are 30k very dedicated people to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

LuckyCat posted:

I was going to laugh because LOTRO doesn't have a population, but if this website is to be trusted, there are 30k very dedicated people to the game.
https://mmo-population.com/about/

quote:

It's virtually impossible to work out accurate subscriber counts for MMOs today, and this site cannot do that. However, there does exist a need for people to be able to gauge the activity, growth, decline, and popularity of MMOs.

So, we do it based on reddit subscriber information. We track the current subscribers, active users and history of both. This helps you to choose an MMO that has the required "activity" you'd like to see, or perhaps you are just interested.

Seems like a pretty bad metric. They have FFXIV at 42 million total players when SE's stated number of total accounts is 27 million.