Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

TBH, ARR postgame was basically just “when are we getting to the fireworks factory HW already” for me somewhere in the middle of it. Not enough that I hated it, but there were definitely some dry stretches.

The best and worst part of the ARR post-game is the humiliation of Alphinaud, because it's a great character moment for him that advances the game's world, but it's infuriating when you're playing it because the looming betrayal is really obvious but they've turned your character into a stupid idiot so you're forced to nod and go along with it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Saucer Crab posted:

I've always been able to just copy over the old installation over once you run the installer to set up whatever junk the game needs to run and let it get to the download. Cancel the download and copy your old install over (doing the other things people said to save your configs as well) and start it back up and it should just need to do a quick check and be good to go.

i have nothing of use to add but lmao your av owns

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePhookas/status/1659109380091006977?t=LRfLjWZUAh3g3d-rOZlCKg&s=19

I'm really not feeling the caster sets this patch for my blm. I like the design for the raid set but the blue is all wrong

I am glad to see other people coming around to “please something other than robes for casters”

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
reports from the catgirl mmo thread about raiding

please think about your posting like a raid and don't stand in the red circle of posts

what i'm trying to say is use the ignore function of the somethingawful forums if there's someone you want to ignore

i won't be probing people for being wrong about catgirl mmo mechanics

:thanks:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

https://twitter.com/ThePhookas/status/1659109380091006977?t=LRfLjWZUAh3g3d-rOZlCKg&s=19

I'm really not feeling the caster sets this patch for my blm. I like the design for the raid set but the blue is all wrong

The crafted set gives me real Xenoblade Chronicles 3 vibes. I approve.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Reporting for some light disagreement is some disgraceful poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

There's a difference between doing high-end, challenging content and just wanting the average gameplay to actually even remotely challenge me.

There are levels of difficulty between 'SMB World 1-1' and 'Super Meat Boy Hell levels'.

If it was challenging it wouldn't be the average content it'd be the challenging content that already exists that you do not like to do

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kaysette posted:

reports from the catgirl mmo thread about raiding

please think about your posting like a raid and don't stand in the red circle of posts

what i'm trying to say is use the ignore function of the somethingawful forums if there's someone you want to ignore

i won't be probing people for being wrong about catgirl mmo mechanics

:thanks:

Omg who

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The crafted gear looks great and will have some glam use after it's obsolete. The design-a-weapon contest winners all look great. The rest of it looks very bland

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Getting real tired of striking sets that would make a good RDM glam while the casting set is more loving robes. Lunar envoy is probably the worst recent offender, that striking set could work as RDM artifact armor. :(

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
remove job restriction if you put it into the dresser, unless it's jobs artifact gear.
there, I've solved it

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
The Crafted Monk Fists look pretty drat awesome personally.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

The crafted gear looks great and will have some glam use after it's obsolete. The design-a-weapon contest winners all look great. The rest of it looks very bland

it's crazy how much it looks like the euphro gear

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think the designers don't want you have a black mage who looks like a tank or whatever (a black mage who looks like a giant chicken is fine though)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Every class can look like anything antithetical to their class fantasy, including other classes, like they're on vacation from our reality in street clothes, or nearly naked. :shrug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

I think the designers don't want you have a black mage who looks like a tank or whatever (a black mage who looks like a giant chicken is fine though)

That hasn't been true since like..level 5. They just really like skirts for casters.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Qwertycoatl posted:

I'm not at my pc to post a pic but Shadowbringers gave you a casting set real early that was literal armor and it was my outfit for all the ShB MSQ

Not very blm but it was novel and cool. For blm we really need more tall silly hats

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'm not at my pc to post a pic but Shadowbringers gave you a casting set real early that was literal armor and it was my outfit for all the ShB MSQ

Not very blm but it was novel and cool. For blm we really need more tall silly hats

This is the Deepshadow casting set and it's great. Still use it today

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/deepshadow-casting

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

oh my god look at that dapper otter minion

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there an in-game story explanation for getting those tickets lol

No but there's an explanation for not having the aetheryte. Note how there's a big central platform that would clearly otherwise be the aetheryte stand but instead there's a statue of Lolorito

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cleretic posted:

There's a difference between doing high-end, challenging content and just wanting the average gameplay to actually even remotely challenge me.

There are levels of difficulty between 'SMB World 1-1' and 'Super Meat Boy Hell levels'.

Yeah. And those are called extremes.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Olympus posted:

No but there's an explanation for not having the aetheryte. Note how there's a big central platform that would clearly otherwise be the aetheryte stand but instead there's a statue of Lolorito

... Son of a bitch, how did I miss that?!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. And those are called extremes.

Yeah. I'd argue in terms of difficulty curve it's Dungeons and MSQ trials<Alliance Raids & Normal Raids<Extremes<<Savage<<Ultimate. With other content to be put somewhere on the scale.

Extremes are in the end moderately difficult DDR sessions with lenient DPS requirements compared to the harsher Savages.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

If anything, the difficulty curve in FFXIV is pretty well designed IMO, and the varying difficulties allow for a very gradual slope up, especially now with the Variant Dungeons providing a step between Extreme and Savage.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I would tend to agree that the jump from normal to extreme is quite big. I'd like there to be some content which is doable with duty finder but a bit more sweaty than what we already have

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ugly John posted:

This is the Deepshadow casting set and it's great. Still use it today

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/deepshadow-casting

That's nice but it's still clearly a casting set. It ticks all the boxes. Give me the same set without a skirt or hood and then we're talking.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Serge casting set is nice

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mainwaring posted:

I would tend to agree that the jump from normal to extreme is quite big. I'd like there to be some content which is doable with duty finder but a bit more sweaty than what we already have

thing is from a dev standpoint extremes are meant to be done via DF. it's mostly a cultural issue we have where people are expected to only do them via PF.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

My usual vibe is witchy so I really don't mind the robes, but casting as a whole with gear is weird. Smn, rdm, blm all have very different aesthetics and at least two of the three suffer expac to expac

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Vitamean posted:

thing is from a dev standpoint extremes are meant to be done via DF. it's mostly a cultural issue we have where people are expected to only do them via PF.
I also feel that ARR is already that step (although the last alliance raid was a tad too easy IMO). And even with ARR, you get people that literally strip down in order to avoid doing the harder raids.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the crafted healer set looks cool. I'll be rocking that for a while.

I don't dig the raid gear as much. Not as big into the draped robes. Some of the floating crystals look neat though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vitamean posted:

Yeah, I feel like it comes down to the idea that whenever there is a level of personal responsibility required that can't be effortlessly covered by the rest of the group, people resort to PF.

With pretty much all "normal" content, you can have one or two players that are basically dead weight and die repeatedly and still be fine. Sure, it may take a little longer, but you'll be fine.

And honestly, I don't know what kind of "mid-core" content you would create and slot between normal and extreme content.

I think one reason people find extremes intimidating is because you really can't go in blind and expect to do well. When it comes to normal 8mans raids and trials, I don't look up anything before. I mash that duty finder button and go. I would never do that with extremes, if only out of respect for others time.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Lots of extremes especially are blind friendly in the first week or two. If that’s your thing there’s plenty of time where that’s the norm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also in terms of pure mechanism, ShB and EW have tended to make the starting extremes relatively easy. Innocence is an example.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't do Extremes when they're current, if I can out ilvl them I will and even then I have to be feeling good about my chances. Because yeah, I don't want to be the guy who wastes everyone's half hour because we can't clear an enrage or something.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Lots of extremes especially are blind friendly in the first week or two. If that’s your thing there’s plenty of time where that’s the norm.
I joined a Barb EX blind PF once and while trying to work out the first mechanism one of the people in the PF was like "I got the markers for this, just go to them". I just quit on the spot. How the gently caress do you have markers ready in a "Blind from start" PF.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Mainwaring posted:

There have been some stabs at this over the years. Eureka & Bozja and their associated raids were basically duty findable Normal+. Criterion dungeons aren't done in DF, but they do require less group finding work to get started with.

I do think the current Extremes could stand being tuned down a couple notches. The last couple of Exs have had a lot going on, lenient enrages or not.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

There have been some stabs at this over the years. Eureka & Bozja and their associated raids were basically duty findable Normal+. Criterion dungeons aren't done in DF, but they do require less group finding work to get started with.

I do think the current Extremes could stand being tuned down a couple notches. The last couple of Exs have had a lot going on, lenient enrages or not.

It's because they're the 4th and 5th extremes of the expac. The exs usually ramp up from the X.0 forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Here was my ShB outfit. It's the Brightlinen Cyclas of Casting mixed with Scion Traveler boots and hands