Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

also Living Colour

I guess the funk metal genre is pretty varied compared to something like djent though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Man, it's been a long-rear end time since I heard anything really remarkable from these guys, but after long last, Sex Machineguns have finally put out a truly good album again.

It's speedy, it's thrashy, it's occasionally power metal, and it also gets delightfully unhinged in that special Japanese fashion. It'll have to be a goddamn phenomenal rest of the year for this to not make it on my AOTY list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=540tV4iY-GM

https://open.spotify.com/album/0G414XZEb2T9TCkLZcMfUB

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Fenrir posted:

The new cattle decapitation is loving sick, goddamn

It really is. Travis has probably the best voice in death metal, loving haunting.

Regarding the thrash talk,
I have been listening to Death/Black/Doom/Grind bands for so drat long thrash doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Cynicus posted:

djent also just sucks.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 14, 2023

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t think there’s a larger spread between the quality of a band and the genre they inspired as Meshuggah and the rest of the djent genre. They’re one of the most consistently great bands in metal ever and the entire genre is so bad. I mean I guess people like it but meh it’s not what I want from metal at all. Outside of Meshuggah!

I remember hearing Dan Ozzi (he's a music writer if you're unfamiliar) talk about how he likes Turnstile and was happy for them having a big breakout but he wasn't looking forward to all the copycat bands because they wouldn't do it as well, and I feel like this is a problem with most genres

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

That’s sort of how I feel about Quicksand, they were ok but I didn’t need Turnstile

that opinion comes from a very uninformed understanding of Turnstile

DrObrero
Sep 7, 2022

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t think there’s a larger spread between the quality of a band and the genre they inspired as Meshuggah and the rest of the djent genre. They’re one of the most consistently great bands in metal ever and the entire genre is so bad. I mean I guess people like it but meh it’s not what I want from metal at all. Outside of Meshuggah!

Does Loathe count, because I like them.

Outside of Meshuggah-their guitarist put out a record I'm a fan of...I guess Animals as Leaders...The Contortionist...yeah that's about it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
You always have this problem with a groundbreaking band that effectively changes the conversation. By the time djent became a thing, Meshuggah had put out four or five albums which had definitively put them heaps ahead of where the also-rans were. Seriously. Chaosphere has the raw aggression and abstraction, Nothing has the weird vibes and playing with melodicism, Destroy Erase Improve has the most unalloyed meathead bluntness, Contradictions Collapse is closer to its progenetors but still has a lot of sharp songwriting and mastery evident. I feel like it’s expectations that kneecap those second-string bands. Everyone wants more Meshuggah so hearing a million less inspired takes on the vibe rings a bit hollow. But like Meshuggah is a once in a generation type of band. Nobody has or ever will match their distinct creative stamp so I hold the descendents to a lower standard cause it just isn’t realistic to expect them to live up to that sort of originality/creative restlessness.

FWIW I think Tesseract is pretty good for being willing to go all-in on the melodic potential of djent. There are other people that do it, but they’re the modern equivalent of eighties shredders, all technical and no soul.

DrObrero posted:

Does Loathe count, because I like them.

Outside of Meshuggah-their guitarist put out a record I'm a fan of...I guess Animals as Leaders...The Contortionist...yeah that's about it.

I don’t know whether I’d call them “djent” as such, but I feel like Loathe works in the form. Just feels a little far afield. More hardcore and melodic influences in their stuff. I like them too, as knuckle-draggy as they are they’ve got some good tricks and a solid ability to twist form around to suit their goals.

Been listening to nothing but Tomb mold and Suffocation and Yob all weekend. Feels good.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Varg posted:

What are the good ones though? I always thought all djent was trying to copy Animals as Leaders but I don't know who the best of deathcore is supposed to be

e: I guess Meshuggah is djent too and I would actually consider them the kings of that, I saw them pretty recently and their shows are still absolute mayhem

Exactly. I’d even say Meshuggah is only Djent in retrospect. I thought tech death when I first heard them. As far as deathcore goes, maybe Slaughter of the Soul or a more dm-leaning hardcore album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Meshuggah are kind of their own thing. Djent took the guitar tone from them but Periphery and AAL are definitely a distinct kind of sound and most djent bands are operating in that milieu.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then Mick Gordon integrates the tone and is all "see this is how you do it."

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I think Catch Thirty Three is the best Meshuggah album

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BEyu8Xb720

The best death/doom album of the year coming in July.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

TeamJesus posted:

drat literally every instruments tone on that is just gnarly as gently caress (i mean that in a good way). Pumped for this!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

TeamJesus posted:

Hell fucken yeah they’re so good

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!
Their 2 previous albums are available as "name your price" on Bandcamp by the way.
https://godzovwarproductions.bandcamp.com/album/putridarium
https://godzovwarproductions.bandcamp.com/album/cadaverine

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I would love to find other albums that sound and feel like All Pigs Must Die's God is War album. I've worn out the 0s and 1s on my copy. Their other albums, while I love and enjoy them, don't hit the same.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I would love to find other albums that sound and feel like All Pigs Must Die's God is War album. I've worn out the 0s and 1s on my copy. Their other albums, while I love and enjoy them, don't hit the same.

Man I thought it was just me. Their other poo poo is definitely good but just doesn't compare to that one.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

https://youtu.be/1ZRNZObqS7U

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Trap Them's later stuff hits similar

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Less Claypool posted:

It really is. Travis has probably the best voice in death metal, loving haunting.

I've been going through their back catalogue off watching the new album singles on YouTube and I never realised the vocals and riffs were so varied and melodic in places. For some reason I always thought Cattle Decapitation were more grindy than they actually are and I'm digging it!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I didn't think anything could unseat Monolith of Inhumanity as my favorite Cattle Decap album, but Terrasite is pretty phenomenal so far.

question for the hivemind - I usually just follow this thread for updates and recommendations, are there any good youtube channels to follow to keep up with rad new stuff?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2023

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Count Thrashula posted:

question for the hivemind - I usually just follow this thread for updates and recommendations, are there any good youtube channels to follow to keep up with rad new stuff?

NWOTHM Full Albums
https://www.youtube.com/@NWOTHMFullAlbums

Black Metal Promotion
https://www.youtube.com/@bmpromotion

Death Metal Promotion
https://www.youtube.com/@DeathMetalPromotion

For a taste, here's something pretty good that BMP just uploaded the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWYMW8ryP8

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 16, 2023

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Count Thrashula posted:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Random post

But holy gently caress listening to Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World after years on the sidelines

This album loving crushes.

Thats the post

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
nevermore had the absolute sickest album names

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thanks for the recs yall. 🥰

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

stab posted:

Random post

But holy gently caress listening to Nevermore's Dead Heart in a Dead World after years on the sidelines

Thats the post

Nevermore is unfuckwithable in general, imho. I bought Dreaming Neon Black blind and the EKG beeps into that opening riff of Beyond Within was the most crushing poo poo I had ever heard.

Sucks that Obsidian Conspiracy sucked, that they broke up, that Warrel died, and that Jeff Loomis is just a hired gun in Arch Enemy now.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hulk Krogan posted:

Nevermore is unfuckwithable in general, imho. I bought Dreaming Neon Black blind and the EKG beeps into that opening riff of Beyond Within was the most crushing poo poo I had ever heard.

Sucks that Obsidian Conspiracy sucked, that they broke up, that Warrel died, and that Jeff Loomis is just a hired gun in Arch Enemy now.

For some reason I always get Iced Earth and Nevermore confused.

'Cos when I saw that list of sadness of ex members I was thinking: "Didn't one of them get done for being part of the Jan 6 Riot?" but I was thinking of Schaffer in Iced Earth.

What always gives me a giggle is when a band has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to the number of lineups a band has had...case in point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members

It's fun because you look at who has been in the band the longest, and generally that person is the rear end in a top hat.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

stab posted:

Random post

Thats the post

Yes, but on the other hand, This Godless Endeavour.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

H13 posted:

For some reason I always get Iced Earth and Nevermore confused.

'Cos when I saw that list of sadness of ex members I was thinking: "Didn't one of them get done for being part of the Jan 6 Riot?" but I was thinking of Schaffer in Iced Earth.

What always gives me a giggle is when a band has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to the number of lineups a band has had...case in point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iced_Earth_band_members

It's fun because you look at who has been in the band the longest, and generally that person is the rear end in a top hat.

I’d forgotten The Faceless existed until this post. Main guy in that band had to be some kind of egomaniac/tyrant creator. I remember them being a sort of bland tech death thing, then a bunch of lineup changes, then they were industrial/gothy/more proggy? Anytime there’s a big sound change and one stable member I always assume insufferable control freak at the helm.

E: Gonna blare some Nevermore today.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 17, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Groke posted:

I got to see them on tour for this album (with Opeth, who were still good back then) and it loving ruled.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 17, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Groke posted:

this IS the final product, a world in slow decay :hmmyes:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Glad to see on Spotify that Dead Heart is the top release.

I love The River Dragon Has Come. Those pinches, gently caress.

On the topic of top releases, why in the blue gently caress is Symbol of Life the top Spotify release for Paradise Lost? Is there a secret cabal of hideous creatures that love that era? It’s awful.

Spun Obsidian and Medusa recently and they’re so good. Really love how they’ve evolved over the years, failed electronic goth experimentation notwithstanding of course.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

BurningBeard posted:

On the topic of top releases, why in the blue gently caress is Symbol of Life the top Spotify release for Paradise Lost? Is there a secret cabal of hideous creatures that love that era? It’s awful.
Looking at the most streamed individual tracks, it looks like their cover of Small Town Boy is far and away the most played, and has most likely artificially inflated the overall popularity of Symbol of Life.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm just gonna reiterate that the new Sex Machineguns loving slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2XUsfgu7zo

(Apparently the title means "Metal Taxman")

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
A while ago, someone posted a slam/brutal death metal video where the band had "realistic" lyrics, ie, snort, bleargh, beeeeee. I remember it started with a light intro with lyrics that were nonsense that Lewis Carroll might have written. "I am the gibberjamberjamb" or something like that.

Anyone remember this vid and/or band?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Opeth, who were still good back then

Meet me outside

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Got out to a show last night and caught UADA/Possessed, which was an interesting little duo. UADA are loving great live, and I did not know the lead singer for Possessed has been in a wheelchair since '89. Crazy poo poo. Fun show.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

moxieman posted:

Meet me outside

I like throwback prog rock stuff generally, and I loved when they started incorporating that stuff on Watershed, but everything after that does absolutely nothing for me. Akerfeldt spending like two years whining about how people were just mad because no growls was also pretty annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hulk Krogan posted:

I like throwback prog rock stuff generally, and I loved when they started incorporating that stuff on Watershed, but everything after that does absolutely nothing for me. Akerfeldt spending like two years whining about how people were just mad because no growls was also pretty annoying!

Catch them live and they're better than ever, growls and all.

I finally got to experience Black Rose Immortal live and it was glorious.