Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

But also, I am the clumsiest motherfucker alive and yet I never drop my expensive toys because they’re generally designed to be held onto. Why the heck are all these goons apparently practicing their juggling routines with their belongings?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I think it's a fursuit thing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

slippy toebeans uwu

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

Shift+F1 to wobble flange (note: flange wobbling only needed open the ventricle on the bottom level of Lord Burstwiggler's Keep)

I immediately think of Vangers and how there's exactly one place you need to use the Tab key to scroll a conversation. Why the gently caress is it the Tab key? Who knows.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Nam Taf posted:

That’s also a stupid way of disabling the read only environment when
code:
sudo steamos-readonly disable
exists.

You are supposed to use sudo steamos-readonly disable. But if that isn't enough or doesn't work, the one Mescal said is the backup. I had to use it once.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Vic posted:

I think it's a fursuit thing

:thanks:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If there is anything PC gamers love, it’s having settings and option items taken away

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

If there is anything PC gamers love, it’s having settings and option items taken away

I don't know anything about what's going on with Atomic Heart... Are they saying that if you play on the Steam deck, you just cannot customize your graphics settings, so they can optimize it all for the system? Like how they'd do it for Switch or whatever console?

If so, jfc, why not just have a set of default settings that are implemented when the Steam deck is detected, and the user can gently caress around from there?

Tbh, that would be an amazing thing for ANY game to do. "Here are what the dev thinks are the best options for you, but go nuts if you want"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right, I mean, what if I want to turn off every option and squeeze all the frames out?

What if I don’t care if it runs at 15fps as long as it looks really pretty?

These things are literally why people buy steam decks and game on PC

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Tbh, that would be an amazing thing for ANY game to do. "Here are what the dev thinks are the best options for you, but go nuts if you want"

I can’t remember the last time I played a pc game that didn’t have a ‘recommended’ settings option which attempted to scale it all based on detected hardware so uh

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Based on the avatar, furry lifeblogging.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

History Comes Inside! posted:

I can’t remember the last time I played a pc game that didn’t have a ‘recommended’ settings option which attempted to scale it all based on detected hardware so uh

Oh, right.... gently caress ::doh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So last night, I turned on my Steam Deck for the first time since Zelda came out. And now it won’t connect to Wi-Fi at all. I even tried connecting it to my phone hot spot to no avail. Is there any fix? I’ve tried switching to stable and then the beta firmwares and that didn’t work either.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Detective No. 27 posted:

So last night, I turned on my Steam Deck for the first time since Zelda came out. And now it won’t connect to Wi-Fi at all. I even tried connecting it to my phone hot spot to no avail. Is there any fix? I’ve tried switching to stable and then the beta firmwares and that didn’t work either.

Nintendo’s Revenge

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

Right but usual setting scales might not necessarily accomodate a specific SOC like Deck, so a bunch of under the hood tweaks and overrides might make a big differrence.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tagaziel posted:

Today I learned that my beloved Tigress drops the Steam Deck more often than I'm aware of, but she doesn't tell me because I lose my poo poo.

While losing it is good for the bowels, I definitely have to figure out where to keep it, because I create the opportunities for it.

(I am back after a few months, I'll get back on the eurojank LP soon)

what

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think they're admitting to domestic violence? I dunno

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I added a page to the goondeckwiki about how to check which fan you have and the guides posted a page back:
https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Fan

Checked mine and it's the Huyiang one :cool:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have always been annoyed at the Deck's fan noise. I checked in the device information and it's indeed a Delta one. I also watched the comparison video, though, and a 1 dB difference is probably not gonna make it worth buying a whole new fan to still end up being annoyed at the noise if that is the only existing alternative.

Save me, Noctua. You (and your usual brand of silent fans) are my only hope.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Mescal, you have entered the Linux fugue.

I have indeed. But is the Linux fugue dharma or dukkha?

Vegetable posted:

When it connects, the image is super zoomed in to the point where I can only see like the top left corner of the UI. e: extremely dumb, but found the solution on reddit. You have to connect the deck to the dock to the TV, but the dock cannot be connected to external power. This establishes a regular connection, then you can connect the dock to power. Works.

I'm giving this a :greencube: I was having a similar, persistent problem recently. I wonder why it happens.

wizard2 posted:

is there like... a general advice guide on how to use the Steam Deck as your for real PC?

Refer to how I and Heran Bago posted things about disabling read-only mode so you can install apps not in Flathub/Discover, that's one thing. I have a three-machine setup in front of me currently and I have to intentionally not use my Deck as my main general computing device. Most I do is in Firefox, terminal, or basic builtin GUI apps that have better quality of life and usability than the stuff that comes with Xubuntu or Win10. Speaking of which, does anyone know if it's possible to imitate the "upload to imgur" (or other service) button in Gwenview in the GUI file explorer? Right click-upload from folder would be nice.

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 99% of Deck users should be fine with the already-installed nano to edit a config file or whatever.

You're absolutely right, but just for fun:

quote:

Learn Vim with Gaming:

VIM Adventures: This is a game that allows you to learn Vim while having fun. Every action in the game corresponds to a valid Vim command, providing an interactive way to learn and practice.

Vim Hero: Vim Hero offers interactive tutorials designed to help you become proficient in Vim. The goal is to enable you to write code faster by reducing reliance on a mouse and mastering Vim keybindings.

PacVim: PacVim is a free, open-source game inspired by PacMan. It's designed to teach Vim commands in a fun and engaging manner. Available for Linux and MacOSX.

Learn Linux Commands through Gaming:

Command Line Games: These games transform your Bash terminal into a game world. All actions in the game are valid Bash commands, offering real-life practice in a fun and engaging way.

Linux Survival: This free tutorial aims to make learning Linux as easy as possible. The tutorial uses a simulated Linux terminal for practice and focuses on the most essential commands you'll need for basic tasks.

Wargames: Wargames is a collection of online games designed to help you learn and practice Linux commands. It requires an active Internet connection and presents learning in a fun, game-like format.

Heran Bago posted:

You are supposed to use sudo steamos-readonly disable. But if that isn't enough or doesn't work, the one Mescal said is the backup. I had to use it once.

What would you recommend in terms of changing ownerships and permissions if you run into problems during this process?

Tagaziel posted:

Today I learned that my beloved Tigress drops the Steam Deck more often than I'm aware of, but she doesn't tell me because I lose my poo poo.

While losing it is good for the bowels, I definitely have to figure out where to keep it, because I create the opportunities for it.

(I am back after a few months, I'll get back on the eurojank LP soon)

I understand you, Tagaziel. Translation:

"I found out my sweetheart drops my Deck without telling me because I tend to lose my poo poo about that kind of stuff. The benefits thereof visavis digestive regularity notwithstanding, I need to learn where to keep my poo poo. Because this is all ultimately my own fault--as my partner and I well know.

By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to ameliorate any concerns about the future of my Let's Play; it won't be abandoned."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mescal posted:

I understand you, Tagaziel. Translation:

"I found out my sweetheart drops my Deck without telling me because I tend to lose my poo poo about that kind of stuff. The benefits thereof visavis digestive regularity notwithstanding, I need to learn where to keep my poo poo. Because this is all ultimately my own fault--as my partner and I well know.

By the way, I'd like to take this opportunity to ameliorate any concerns about the future of my Let's Play; it won't be abandoned."

The meaning of the content wasn't in too much question, I think people were mostly perplexed in a, "uh , okay, and who are you?" sorta way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So genshin impact runs at a locked 40 and you’ll get roughly 4 hours of battery life on mostly medium settings.

It’s a very good experience. Only small issue is some
Shader stutter but it’s not bad at all.

Also the fan doesn’t really kick on high doing it so that’s a plus.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fuzz posted:

The meaning of the content wasn't in too much question, I think people were mostly perplexed in a, "uh , okay, and who are you?" sorta way.

Hey Steam Deck thread, thought I'd pop in to say that I haven't posted in the running thread in a while but I'm still running every so often.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No I don’t think that Costa Rica should be able to unilaterally do that.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Vic posted:

I added a page to the goondeckwiki about how to check which fan you have and the guides posted a page back:
https://goondeckwiki.com/goondeckwiki/index.php/Fan

Checked mine and it's the Huyiang one :cool:
It's not fans/devices that were made earlier, it's a second brand that was added after the first wave launched, and it's mixed for both on old and new machines.

Also might want to include the US link as well for the iFixit purchase option but idk.

Saoshyant posted:

I have always been annoyed at the Deck's fan noise. I checked in the device information and it's indeed a Delta one. I also watched the comparison video, though, and a 1 dB difference is probably not gonna make it worth buying a whole new fan to still end up being annoyed at the noise if that is the only existing alternative.

Save me, Noctua. You (and your usual brand of silent fans) are my only hope.
The dB has been measured by a few things and it's the same basically, but the pitch of the sound is what is grating.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

MarcusSA posted:

No I don’t think that Costa Rica should be able to unilaterally do that.
If Costa Rica want to enter Eurovision I say let ‘em.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Good you got the content, but did you get the message? "I'm concerned that I've been self-centered and temperamental lately, but now I'm choosing to value people over things. I'm going to try to be more patient with my partner and contribute more to the community."

I don't know who they are either, but so what? That's a nice message.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mescal posted:

Good you got the content, but did you get the message? "I'm concerned that I've been self-centered and temperamental lately, but now I'm choosing to value people over things. I'm going to try to be more patient with my partner and contribute more to the community."

I don't know who they are either, but so what? That's a nice message.

Who are you, again? :confused:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I took my Steam Deck to a friend’s house (I’m house sitting) over my lunch break. Tried connecting it to his wifi. It failed to connect. It seems to think the passwords are wrong, when I’ve triple checked mine and his and the passwords are correct. It sees the WiFi networks so I’m not sure what to do now. I put a game on and set it down so the battery can drain, then I’ll charge it and see if that works. If it doesn’t, I might have to contact Steam.

Though I don’t know how an RMA would go, I have a 1tb ssd in there. I don’t wanna risk them giving me another unit.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I took my Steam Deck to a friend’s house (I’m house sitting) over my lunch break. Tried connecting it to his wifi. It failed to connect. It seems to think the passwords are wrong, when I’ve triple checked mine and his and the passwords are correct. It sees the WiFi networks so I’m not sure what to do now. I put a game on and set it down so the battery can drain, then I’ll charge it and see if that works. If it doesn’t, I might have to contact Steam.

Though I don’t know how an RMA would go, I have a 1tb ssd in there. I don’t wanna risk them giving me another unit.

Kinda obvious but did you try factory reset?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’m thinking about it. That’s gonna be a pain in the rear end but probably the next move if it doesn’t revolve itself.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

So on the resolving itself out front, here's a list of steps I'd do trying to connect after each one:
  1. Turn Deck completely off and on.
  2. Turn Deck completely off and on.
  3. Unplug my wifi router from the power plug (I don't trust routers) wait 10 seconds while doing a little chant about DHCP, then turn it on.
  4. Turn Deck completely off and on.
  5. Check my router log for connection attempts.
  6. Do factory reset.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn’t get a chance to reset my router since people are using the internet for work, but since I tried my home internet, phone hotspot, and friend’s wifi, I can confidently say it’s not external. I’ll factory reset tomorrow afternoon when I have the time if it’s not fixed by then.

Oh yeah, this is interesting but I don’t know how practical it is considering how they designed the Steam Deck around the screen.

https://twitter.com/steamdeckhq/status/1659253993753944065?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I didn’t get a chance to reset my router since people are using the internet for work, but since I tried my home internet, phone hotspot, and friend’s wifi, I can confidently say it’s not external. I’ll factory reset tomorrow afternoon when I have the time if it’s not fixed by then.

Oh yeah, this is interesting but I don’t know how practical it is considering how they designed the Steam Deck around the screen.

https://twitter.com/steamdeckhq/status/1659253993753944065?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

You can take a look at the ROG Ally to see how even a more powerful machine drives a higher res screen.

It really doesn’t that well.

I’d rather have OLED.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1200p for a handheld lmfao

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

That’s 400 more p’s.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

You can take a look at the ROG Ally to see how even a more powerful machine drives a higher res screen.

It really doesn’t that well.

I’d rather have OLED.

There’s a flood of Ally reviews and Steam Deck comparisons but I think the one that really drove it home for me was the one that showed RE4R runs just slightly better on the Ally than Deck. That doesn’t really seem worth the $700 to me.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

My immediate concern isn't being able to drive 1920x1200 resolution, FSR 2.0 (where available) should be able to handle that, and where it can't you can probably get away with a 960x600 internal render with 2x scale. My concern is how much additional power such a screen will require to achieve the same brightness given that it has double the number of pixels.

Beyond that, 1200p being an integer scale of 240p is attractive. I'd rather have that over a 1080p screen which is not (and worse than 800p).

Detective No. 27 posted:

Screens are one of the more expensive and difficult components to source in quantity. To keep the overall system cost as low as possible, it made sense for Valve to design the Deck around an existing screen they could source (relatively) cheaply and in quantity. If those two things aren't concerns of yours, it's entirely possible to design a bespoke screen for an existing device and even source them in small quantities. The real question is: what's this going to cost? $200? More?

SteamDeckHQ posted:

... and they list the estimated price to be around $99.
That's how much it costs to buy a replacement etched (512 GB model) screen from iFixit. I'm suspicious....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It also doesn’t say that it will be able to do 40hz