Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

Coins that are $20 are not worth counterfeiting I wouldn’t think.

Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Redbook is a nice baseline if you have a lot of stuff you need to ballpark but eBay recently sold and scouring the local sold posts on FB groups is my best way to price.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I would check Graysheet and then the sold listings on eBay to figure out where to start the bidding. And then you'll get 15 messages of people offering to buy it for half price that you have to ignore or tell no. Don't ever take an offer unless it's on like its sixth cycle of no bids and you just want it gone.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hello coin thread! Is anyone else but me bummed they missed the 10 oz queens beasts completer release a week or two ago (if you’re reading this now then you did.) I was able to pick up the 2oz, and by overpaying and being very diligent the kilo, just :sigh: that now I don’t have any 10s to complete my completer set!

Edit: no one but myself cares least of all my wife but I was able to get some 10oz completers woop woop

Tnuctip fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 11, 2022

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Tnuctip posted:

Hello coin thread! Is anyone else but me bummed they missed the 10 oz queens beasts completer release a week or two ago (if you’re reading this now then you did.) I was able to pick up the 2oz, and by overpaying and being very diligent the kilo, just :sigh: that now I don’t have any 10s to complete my completer set!

Edit: no one but myself cares least of all my wife but I was able to get some 10oz completers woop woop

You missed the large complete set they released too, but we only got a very limited number of those and they were gone within the hour. The same thing is probably going to happen to the treasure box gold shipwreck coins releasing Monday.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Old Man Pants posted:

You missed the large complete set they released too, but we only got a very limited number of those and they were gone within the hour. The same thing is probably going to happen to the treasure box gold shipwreck coins releasing Monday.

Was it proofs or BU? Haven’t fallen down the rabbit hole where I think I’d pay for proofs, yet.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Tnuctip posted:

Was it proofs or BU? Haven’t fallen down the rabbit hole where I think I’d pay for proofs, yet.

It was the silver 2 oz proof set. There were only 300 of these sets.

These are the coins we are getting on Monday. I've seen the prices, and they are $$$$$.

https://coinweek.com/us-coins/ngc-to-reveal-lost-treasure-from-ss-central-america/

Also if there's something like that beasts completer you're looking for, DM me we usually have some.

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 13, 2022

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Everything but the $30k and the $50k coins got wiped out almost instantly. We still have the gold bars from the ship too. It was a wild day

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hello again coin thread. I've been slowly getting back into general coin collecting and heard about all the die chip errors on the 2021 US quarters and maybe I found one?

They're real tiny and include the pom pom looking ball on the back of Washington's hat, the extra bump below the rock above the T in quarter, and the little bump on the hair above the tie on the ponytail of Washington's bust. Assuming I'm not deluding myself and making a mountain out of a molehill, is it worth getting it graded or should I just stick it in a cardboard flip and call it a day? It seems like both the Tuskegee Airmen and Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters are rife with die errors, and the more impressive ones than these are the ones that have appreciable value anyways.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

I had a neat day at work today. I got to see a demo of a new microscope. It has a laser attached that you can blast the surface with and vaporize small amounts of material. The microscope looks at the light emitted and can figure out what elements are present. Pretty cool, but what does it have to do with coins? Well, I brought some ancient coinage to see what the metallurgy looks like. Specifically, these ones:

On the left is 1 cash coin, Northern Song Dynasty, 976-997 C.E. On the right is a 1 as coin, Roman Britain, probably 2nd century C.E. In the photos showing the reverse side, you can see where I scraped off the surface with a knife to reveal the metal - 3 o'clock on the cash and about 10 o'clock on the as.

And here's the data.

1 cash:

1 as:

So, the 1 cash coin is, I guess unsurprisingly, a bronze with a lot of lead by modern standards. Ignore the software's guesses as to composition - that's lead bronze, not solder.

The 1 as is a brass, not a bronze. Pretty low zinc content too.

I can't tell you anything about the historical significance of this - I just thought it was neat, and this thread doesn't get enough love.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made a post in another coin thread before remembering this one, so I'll post it here too, it's got some repeat info from my posts upthread but also some questions at the end of the post

Captain Invictus posted:

My stepdad passed away last year in his sleep and one thing he did thirteen years ago was tell mom "if I die suddenly without notice, go in my bedroom, dig [under a specific pile in his hoarder house] in the corner of the room, find the box under there, take the box." we were cleaning out the house to find stuff to donate and we made our way over to said pile, and sure enough, under it was a box. in the box was a variety of solid gold items including an 18k gold swiss pocket watch, antique gold fountain pens from the 1800s I think, gold hat pins with gemstones in them, a nearly 8oz silver ingot, and a box jam packed full of a huge coin collection including rolls of silver coins. we also found, while meticulously digging through everything in the house looking for anything salvageable to donate, nearly 100lbs of loose change and random old coins, including some graded ones that had just been...tossed into piles of stuff and buried over the years. mostly morgan silver dollars like in the OP. I've already sold a bunch of them for anywhere from 75-300 dollars each, and recently took the rest of it to my uncle who used to run an auction house to help figure stuff out a bit. the box is a lot emptier in the below photos than initially, but there's still a shitload of sleeved coins(mostly indian head pennies I think in the green paper sleeves, mostly 1800s coins in very nice shape in the non-paper sleeves) and other stuff.

I sorted out the non-graded Morgan silver dollars, and there's about 65 of them, mostly in paper-plastic sleeves with potential grades listed on them(which I don't take as gospel, but they're mostly really nice condition).

There's an upcoming coin show that I want to go to, and ANACS is showing up and apparently offering grading services on site, they're one of the reputable ones that ebay allows graded listings for. Should I go there and get a bunch of these graded there? thinking of just having the entire pile of morgan dollars slabbed, I think ANACS offers, or did at a coin show I barely missed, a "10 coins graded for $140" service, so if they offer that here, should I just do that a whole bunch for a lot of these? This was basically my first incident of dealing with coins as a collectible, so I'm still pretty unfamiliar with stuff besides the slabbed stuff which is easily searchable by the info on the slab.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

People will try to lowball you for ANACS graded coins since they have a reputation for being looser with the grades than NGC or PCGS. I have no idea if there's truth to it and didn't give discounts to people asking, but it came up a lot when I was selling my dad's.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah I just list'em on ebay and don't put a best offer option because that just invites shitheads, and just drop the price a little on subsequent relistings until they sell. I'm not in a massive rush to sell them, but I do want to get any worth grading graded asap so I know what I have exactly. thanks for the heads up though, I feel like when I was first checking things out ANACS seemed like people considered it as the "lesser" of the highly regarded grading companies, the Arby's to PCGS's McDonald's if you will.

I don't have a picture on hand right now of it, but I'm guessing any coin with a hole in it is worthless. not like, a hole by design, but a hole someone put in it. there was a necklace of extremely old mexican coins in the box, like early 1800s, and one of them is this MASSIVE, insanely thick coin. like bigger than an eisenhower dollar and at least twice as thick. it's from I think like 1813, but it's got a little hole in it for the necklace to thread through, sadly.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do you not get constant messages? I never put offer option on but would just constantly get barely literate messages making offers, no matter how clear I was in the listing that the starting bid is the lowest price and sending me an offer is just wasting both our time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the only time I got a message about the coins was when I listed a non-approved grading company's slabbed coin and within literally minutes of listing a dude who typed like a robot contacted me to declare my auction illegal

also one dude who bought a coin left feedback proclaiming his patriotism to never forget 9/11 because he is yet another of the American Brokebrain southern subspecies who will never, ever move on, and I wager I'm gonna get a fair amount more of that kind of person as I sell more coins

all my listings are just a photo or two and "you will receive the coin pictured in the photos, please see them for what you'll get" and that's it unless there's something particularly noteworthy about the coin like toning etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

the only time I got a message about the coins was when I listed a non-approved grading company's slabbed coin and within literally minutes of listing a dude who typed like a robot contacted me to declare my auction illegal

lol

I sold several in unapproved slabs and got away with it. You can get in trouble with eBay for doing that.

Every decent coin I sell I immediately get five "What is best price ?" messages that I have to reply to with the price listed in the auction.

"What is price you want sell for?" "It's an auction. It will be sold for the winning bid."

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

This is a very interesting bar, looks like an extruded 7oz Engelhard. Very rare.

Is there a serial number stamped on the back?

https://allengelhard.com/item/7oz-ag-extruded-000896/

I love and collect Engelhard bars, is this for sale?

pzy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 18, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's 000152 according to the back.

I'm not sure if I'm selling it right this instant, I'm going to soon be sitting down with some folks to go through the stuff in the box who might know the value of things, and go from there.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
That's really cool, definitely keep me in mind!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Took the box of coins to a coin show, sat down with an ANACS fellow, and he wound up spending 2 hours with me going through finding stuff worth grading. At a glance he was able to pick out 68 coins definitely worth grading including a few that if they grade highly may be worth multiple thousands if not more. The coins in the green paper sleeves in the above pictures, turns out they have price tags on them for how much my stepdad paid for them, and while there were lots of coins he paid 1-10 dollars for, there were quite a lot that were 75-150 and a few that he dropped 600 on in there as well as a few antique gold coins. One of the coins the rep mentioned, he said the name aloud and someone nearby whispered "holy poo poo", so that's a good sign. Another one, the ANACS fella straight up said "when you get this back after grading, please bring it back to me so I can offer on it, because I want it real bad".

All in all, he said the morgans are mostly fodder as far as morgans go, but it may still be worth grading them since even the shittiest morgans that grade decently fetch 80-100, and getting coins graded at the show by ANACS is only ten bucks a coin.

$732 all told for the 68 coins, but considering one of them was 600 bucks by itself ungraded, it will likely cover the cost of the whole thing by itself when slabbed. The guy in line behind me, after I mentioned the proceeds were going to cover hospital fees and then the cost of siding, said "oh based on what I've heard you've likely paid for most of that already with what you're getting graded" so that's encouraging.

Also a silver dealer with multiple huge silver ingots in bulletproof glass cases for sale was very, very interested in that 7oz one I have in particular. Is it just because of the manufacturer, is it a higher quality silver or something? The ingot is very smooth and featureless, as opposed to some of the blobby ingots he had for sale, so is it due to the method of producing the ingot that makes it more desirable and rare?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Yeah it's extruded like playdough through a die

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
posting this here too because why not:

the coins arrived today from ANACS. I'm a bit surprised at the number of "cleaned/polished/retoned" etc but overall I think I'm happy with the outcome. A couple were called "struck copy", which I guess are counterfeits. bummer, those were some of the bigger names mentioned when he initially dug through the box, but also not surprising they were counterfeited.

a gallery of the results(the first image is the two copies and a modified penny): https://imgur.com/a/vIsoT1o#hGYeUgE

and a rundown from ANACS of what's what of everything:

I haven't gone through and checked pricing on anything yet, just took photos of the lot so far. hopefully there's some good value in here, since I just got another quote on siding my house and looks like it's going to be at least 78k to do everything, so to be able to take a chunk out of that cost would be very nice

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
decided I should really get around to selling the nebulous items I have, such as some of the proof coins and that Engelhard 7oz extruded ingot. I looked around and couldn't find much more info, so I contacted allengelhard directly. their response to my request for info and valuation was...surprising.

so there's apparently less than 50 of these 7oz ingots made, period, and only 12 are even known of, including mine. that's loving wild. I had gotten a couple offers of 500ish for it, but wanted to really investigate, so I guess I'll be selling this thing for thousands of dollars when I expected a fraction of that. not gonna complain, I have a newly-signed contract for house repairs and full siding replacement that's setting me back 80 grand, and I'm going to need all the help I can get with that poo poo.

also going to be heading to the coin show where I spoke to that ANACS rep to get a bunch more coins graded. About 80-90 coins, mostly morgan dollars, I figure for 10 bucks a pop to slab the entirety of them, it's worth it since a fair number of them are very nicely toned at the very least, and some are extremely reflective. I also picked out a few of the green sleeved coins that I checked and think would be worth getting slabbed since it's only 10 bucks and slabbed ones of many of them are 50-60 a pop. And also while going through stuff we recovered from my stepdad's place, there was a very old leather pouch-style coin purse that had like 20 standing liberty quarters in it, pretty dinged up in most cases but I want to double check to make sure there's nothing super amazing in there, I transferred them into a quarter holder that was in the shoebox of coins.

a couple of Trade Dollars, which hopefully grade decently, even though they've been Cleaned prior which will significantly hurt their value, they're still Trade Dollars!

a couple of retoned coins that I would at least like to get slabbed, a seated liberty quarter and a 1995 silver dollar(most likely not worth it but I want to ask anyways)

and the lot of the non-morgans; the trade dollars, retoned coins, a california commem, a very nicely detailed mercury dime with a specific modifier I forget but makes it much more valuable, 3 peace dollars, and a walking liberty half dollar.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Dang yo, I wish i had somebody in my family that had the foresight to hoard silver coins. I've got a few things but keep them as part of the overall coin collection. Currently I'm waiting and hoping silver gets over 20 an ounce, so I feel better when selling a pile of spoons and old jewelry I'd like to get rid of.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I basically just told the ANACS guy at the coin show I wanted to just send every single Morgan in for grading, regardless of condition.

turns out, now that they have arrived(in a big ol' box with 5 smaller boxes full of slabbed coins inside), almost all of them wound up being MS level grade. I am ecstatic, we found a few slabbed MS 60-64 Morgans buried in the piles of stuff in his room, and those sold for quite a bit, so I'm hoping these go for similar amounts. a BUNCH of them also are DMPL(deep mirror proof-like) which, well, I sold one of those recently for about five times what a non-DMPL version of similar grade sold for.

I'll take individual photos at some point, but this is the list of the coins and associated grades. I'm real happy the trade dollars wound up being legit and graded highly, after the previous trade dollar I sent in wound up being counterfeit.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Gold almost at 2k again. Finally.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I was shown some old bills at a family thing today, figured I would share them with you guys because they looked really neat. The 3 rouble note was very worn, to the point where it almost resembles a colour-blindness test.

1 rouble, front and back. - 1961

3 roubles - 1905

5 roubles - 1909

10 roubles - 1909

and then a little Austro-Hungarian thing which if my rusty German hasn't failed me, is a bank note you could exchange for a 1 krone/koruna coin.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Any forums numismatists still have this thread in their bookmarks? I've been considering getting back into coin collecting but can't decide in what direction to take my childhood collection in, other than to maybe do more than just half assedly check my change. I don't know whether to branch into ancients, or just stack peace dollars until the end of time or what.

Looking on the internet it looks like most people are just hunting coins with precious metal content these days, what are you guys collecting?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Any forums numismatists still have this thread in their bookmarks? I've been considering getting back into coin collecting but can't decide in what direction to take my childhood collection in, other than to maybe do more than just half assedly check my change. I don't know whether to branch into ancients, or just stack peace dollars until the end of time or what.

Looking on the internet it looks like most people are just hunting coins with precious metal content these days, what are you guys collecting?

I did a collection of every circulating coin from my birth year and that was pretty fun. I'm also in the process of piecing together a collection of coins minted by the major players of WWI in 1914 and ancient mediterranian coins depecting figures wearing mural crowns.

I think it's easier to stay interested in a collection when it has a clear focus.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Weembles posted:

I did a collection of every circulating coin from my birth year and that was pretty fun. I'm also in the process of piecing together a collection of coins minted by the major players of WWI in 1914 and ancient mediterranian coins depecting figures wearing mural crowns.

I think it's easier to stay interested in a collection when it has a clear focus.

Some good ideas, though I think I may take a break from world currency, I have an entire 3 inch binder of it! Sadly I didn't learn until recently that the best collections have quality over quantity, so the collection on the whole is all over the place. Though I can't complain too much, I have much more American old silver coins than I thought (thanks grandpa and great uncle). Maybe I should continue on the silver bent? Or focus on quarters for a bit, it's seems the only thing left I can still find in my change. I can't remember the last time I saw a wheat penny in the wild even, but that could just be confirmation bias.

As penance for my rambling have a countermarked seated liberty dime:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 6, 2023

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
I collect mainly DPRK coins and other currency with dictators and such on them, as well as currency from micronations like Sealand or Lundy. But I lurk like a hermit crab hiding from a mantis shrimp otherwise.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

JohnnyHardcore posted:

I collect mainly DPRK coins and other currency with dictators and such on them, as well as currency from micronations like Sealand or Lundy. But I lurk like a hermit crab hiding from a mantis shrimp otherwise.

I wanna see all of that!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Snowy posted:

I wanna see all of that!

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://imgur.com/a/kq3AiLx - Da Coinz

And further education links, because the stories of each one are long and other people have already typed them more accurately and completely than I could:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva - The Republic of Minerva

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand - The Principality of Sealand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy#20th_and_21st_centuries - The Isle of Lundy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Korean_missile_tests#July - The DPRK missile test that coin commemorates

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobutu_Sese_Seko - The dictator of Zaire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein - everyone's favorite pornstache, did a lot more evil than many people realize

Let me know if you want to see more or different stuff, I have a ton of DPRK banknotes and coins, almost all the coins from when Rhodesia was literally a white supremacist ethnostate, Zimbabwe hyperinflation currency, etc.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

JohnnyHardcore posted:

Let me know if you want to see more or different stuff, I have a ton of DPRK banknotes and coins, almost all the coins from when Rhodesia was literally a white supremacist ethnostate, Zimbabwe hyperinflation currency, etc.

Thanks! I love all of it and would really like to see any and/or all or the rest please :) I suppose the DPRK, Rhodesian, and microstate currency is most interesting to me but it all sounds great. I like your collection style.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Activity! I'll be sure to check out those coin pics on desktop later, they sound cool! For the moment I've decided to work on filling out the rest of my coin books and have subsequently raided the change of everybody I know and filled in a good amount from the time I slacked off in the 2010s.

Which brings me to another dumb question; what is up with all the tiny but numerous errors from the mint lately? A couple years ago I did find some tiny die chips on Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters, and in the recent search found an Alaska quarter with similar tiny die chips. But what really makes me wonder is the so called VDB V error on the 2023-P pennies. I did find one of those too (although the penny is already circulated enough to begin tarnishing) but I'm questioning its significance as an error and its rarity as there seems to be loads of them on ebay.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Activity! I'll be sure to check out those coin pics on desktop later, they sound cool! For the moment I've decided to work on filling out the rest of my coin books and have subsequently raided the change of everybody I know and filled in a good amount from the time I slacked off in the 2010s.

Which brings me to another dumb question; what is up with all the tiny but numerous errors from the mint lately? A couple years ago I did find some tiny die chips on Washington Crossing the Delaware quarters, and in the recent search found an Alaska quarter with similar tiny die chips. But what really makes me wonder is the so called VDB V error on the 2023-P pennies. I did find one of those too (although the penny is already circulated enough to begin tarnishing) but I'm questioning its significance as an error and its rarity as there seems to be loads of them on ebay.

I had noticed this creeping into trading cards in the last few years as well, and I've been chalking it up to loosened QA/QC all around following the pandemic. For example, the amount of weird looking potato chips, cereal flakes, and produce has also increased noticeably (at least in my area) which I attribute to same. The companies figured out that they could do less, which makes them more money, so until people get mad enough to give them less money, we're probably going to get an increased incidence of factory errors across the board. :iiam:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah, nostalgia suckered me into the pokemania of 2021 and even I noticed a drop in quality of the tcg cards; it was all any one bitched about online. So I can believe QC standards slipping at Philadelphia but the VDB V one is giving me pause, because nobody seems to be able to explain how an extra incuse V got on the bottom of Lincoln's bust in line with the other initials. That and the only internet sources I can find are on forum posts and coin roll hunt youtubers. Maybe I'm just annoyed that I found one of these, yet no goddamn W quarter since I heard about those a couple of years ago.

Edit: Here's the best pics I could get of it with a not idea set up.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 18, 2023

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008
The fanciful tale of Anguilla, a small island in the Caribbean, the island so nice it seceded twice (but is still owned)!

At the end of the 60s when England was finally giving up the colonies that weren’t big enough to have already kicked its rear end, the colonial administration grouped Anguilla with St. Kitts and Nevis, then granted all three islands independence with St. Kitts to be the seat of government, which obviously pissed off the Anguillans, almost all 1,818 of them. July 11th, 1967, they voted succession 1,813 for to 5 against.

ENTER THE CAPITALIST WHITE MAN! San Francisco newspaper owner Scott Newhall, being apprised of the goings-on of the world like few others would be in 1967, heard of the Anguillan secession vote, and sprang into action. He purchased 11,600 world silver coins of roughly the size of a silver dollar. Coins from primarily Mexico, but also Peru, Panama, the Phillipines, and even Yemen and China were used. He used the NEWSPAPER PRESSES he owned to counterstamp the dollar-sized coins he purchased with “ANGUILLA LIBERTY DOLLAR” around the center “JULY 11 1967.” You see, his idea was to literally capitalize on US coin collectors. If he could convince the breakaway Anguillans to use his coins as currency, he could turn around and sell the ones he kept back for himself at a huge premium to numismatists, who would have LITERALLY no other way to get them short of physically sailing to Anguilla.

The Anguillans, however, who were at no point during this scheme consulted, did not give a single poo poo about Newhall or his dork coins, and they never used them. Despite Newhall shipping them a few thousand of the total “mintage” as well as $10,000, for some silly reason the Anguillans decided the slick-talking American was there to take advantage of them in some way. The audacity! So Newhall ended up selling the rest of his pile to a California coin dealer for melt and washing his hands of the whole thing.

Longer version of above from PCGS.com

But are we done yet? Of course not.

Anguilla was still seceded from the St. Kitts – Nevis – Anguilla trifecta, and on February 7th, 1969, Anguilla held a second referendum resulting in a vote of 1,739 to 4 against returning to association with Saint Kitts. At this point Anguilla declared itself an independent republic. A new British envoy arrived on March 11th, 1969 and the Anguillans booted him off the island. They minted THEIR OWN currency this time, and sought acceptance from neighbors as a sovereign and independent nation. Like any good revolutionary government, they of course made both silver and gold coins to sell abroad to raise funds (possibly melting those few thousand coins they got from Newhall to mint their own). Unfortunately, England does not have a sense of humor it is aware of, and on March 19th, 1969, the 2nd Parachute Regiment and 40 Metro police officers showed up on the island, to, um, "restore order". Ladies and gents, legendary peacekeepers and order restorers, the British SAS. While Saint Kitts and Nevis went on to gain full independence from Britain in 1983, Anguilla ironically still remains a British overseas territory. Now they make pretty silver lobster coins.

Wiki entry for Anguilla in the 60s

Most of the 1969 issue and modern Anguilla coins

Countermarked Anguilla coins

JohnnyHardcore fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Kind of surprised gold hasn't long since gone past 2k to be honest.