Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Saoshyant posted:

Paging resident indie expert The 7th Guest, Fanatical just released this bundle hours ago and I don't know a single of those games, even though I try to keep up with new stuff. Let us know what are your favorites and stuff you heard good things about.

Light Fairytale is a pretty decent FF7-alike but it's episodic and they just released the second one out of however many. Ashina the Red Witch is OK but there's not much reason to play it unless you played My Big Sister and really want more. I was not impressed by Depths of Sanity, Gunborg or Void Scrappers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Paging resident indie expert The 7th Guest, Fanatical just released this bundle hours ago and I don't know a single of those games, even though I try to keep up with new stuff. Let us know what are your favorites and stuff you heard good things about.
There's not much that stands out here. Ashina is by a dev that makes a lot of small little light-horror adventure games in RPG Maker. I had played one of their previous games and felt very indifferent about the experience. Depths of Sanity is a game I've seen before that interests me, and Undetected is an MGS1 tribute by the dev of The Chameleon which was from the Haunted PS1 Demo Disc, the one where you were the guy in the hawaiian shirt who could shapeshift. So IDK, maybe I'd get those two games and one other thing but that's it.

This B-A-B is much stronger: https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/play-on-the-go-premium-edition-build-your-own-bundle

I can vouch for Jack Move, Wild Guns Reloaded, Spookware, Haven Park, Death Mark, and of course there are bethesda games if you need to round things off. I'm going to be trying There is No Light, From Space, Lair of the Clockwork God, Patch Quest and Tunche from that bundle myself.

Reposting Humble Showcase for the new page:

The 7th Guest posted:

Humble Games Showcase 2023

This event technically isn't part of Summer Games Fest (which apparently starts next week with Sony's showcase next week) so I didn't create the thread for that yet. This still had all the typical language of a Summer Games showcase, just focused on one single publisher. The event started with the president of Humble's charity initiatives talking about the various charity and relief efforts they're involved in. They're nearing having raised $250M in charity over the life of the company.

- Wizard of Legend 2 announced, developed by Dead Mage (Children of Morta). the game is now a Humble-owned IP. In 3D this time.

- Brief amount of Monaco 2 footage shown, mostly level design, not really gameplay. In pre-alpha at the moment.

- #BLUD has been picked up by Humble Games. Has absolutely incredible and fluid 2D animation. Targeting 2024

- Breeze in the Clouds picked up by Humble and the Black Dev Games Fund. A mix of platforming and brawling with elemental-based attacks and a focus on combos. Music recorded by an actual big band with new jack swing and latin jazz/samba influence.

- Stray Gods previewed, with a release date of August 3rd. A musical CYOA about a woman who develops the powers of a muse, and has to solve the murder of the woman who gave them to her. I didn't care for the demo but I'm sure it will resonate with theater kids. Music seemed way too soft and lacking in any kind of building or dynamics to me. Like it feels like, to me, people who know how to write music for.. a band, but not music for.. a musical.

- Humble is publishing Supraland Six Inches Under, last year's "Supraland 1.5", but that gives me an excuse to talk about Supraworld, the new and actual proper sequel to the original, which got screenshots today.

- Bo: Path of the Teal Lotus revealed, by Squid Shock Studios. A Metroidvania inspired by Japanese folklore, coming 2024.

- Cataclismo revealed, by Digital Sun (Moonlighter). A mix of RTS and tower defense. Build a fortress brick by brick and then defend it. You apparently will have time powers as well. It looks a bit more promising than the League spinoff game they worked on.

- Lost Skies revealed, by Bossa Studios (Surgeon Simulator 1 & 2). A co-op survival game set in the sky with floating islands for 1-6 players. You'll be able to build skyships and pilot them together, which makes me think of Black Skylands.

- No update on Bushiden. Vaporware? No update on Mineko's Night Market but that is still on track for release on September 26th.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, in "I'm sorry, what?" news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rByUJRGccWE

I find like GIFs / videos of power washing to be satisfying, but never enough so to play a power washing video game... But this has me stupidly curious

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator offers all the joys of real power washing with none of the messy clean-up or torturous going-outside

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

PowerWash Simulator offers all the joys of real power washing with none of the messy clean-up or torturous going-outside

One of my neighbors loves to power wash in real life. I've thought about seeing if I can gift them a copy of the game.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That’s a solid indie publishing label announcement show. I’ll follow almost all of those.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Power washing is drat relaxing and pretty satisfying in real life but I personally get absolutely nothing out of doing it digitally. :shrug:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I love the actual gameplay of Wizard of Legend but the level design is entirely non-existent. If they can craft some actual rooms for the proc-gen to work with instead of just hallway 1 through 5 + room with pillar or room with three pillars, that'd be an excellent game. And I guess while I'm asking they could make more than just a handful of the spells viable--there are like a hundred and you will only ever use ten of them. I'd be fine with 20 good ones instead of a massive glut of bad ones. Anyway, just take some of the lessons we've all learned about these games from Hades (incentivize experimentation and risk-taking but make sure every run is fun) and WoL2 could be really great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah but they apparently built the hospital on a sinkhole.

The more vanishing points you've got the better your picture is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

- Wizard of Legend 2 announced, developed by Dead Mage (Children of Morta). the game is now a Humble-owned IP. In 3D this time.

Wizard of Legend was pretty good but Children of Morta was bad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Croccers posted:

The biggest issue I have with most of the Extraction Shooters I've tried is there's never any game incentive for more Established players not to be jerks.
Most of these games have Factions you have to do missions for and grind up rep so here's an idea to cut down a lil bit on the Noob Slaughter:
-If you're doing a Blue Force mission you're not allowed to shoot any Blue Force players also on the map. You lose rep if you do. Turn that mission in and pick up a mission for the Red Force, now can't shoot Reds unless you select a different one.

the ability to be jerks to other players is the entire reason you pick these pvpve games instead of playing a pure pve coop game though
like why would anyone even want to play an extraction shooter if they didn't want to frag some loser carrying a million dollars in loot, ruin his day, and take it all for themselves

Orv
May 4, 2011

Croccers posted:

The biggest issue I have with most of the Extraction Shooters I've tried is there's never any game incentive for more Established players not to be jerks.
Most of these games have Factions you have to do missions for and grind up rep so here's an idea to cut down a lil bit on the Noob Slaughter:
-If you're doing a Blue Force mission you're not allowed to shoot any Blue Force players also on the map. You lose rep if you do. Turn that mission in and pick up a mission for the Red Force, now can't shoot Reds unless you select a different one.

This is what Escape from Tarkov intended to do in the days before it became popular and the people who play it like a job got entrenched and impossible to please.

It’s a bad idea primarily because the kind of people who are going to shoot you in the face regardless aren’t going to care about the rep mechanic.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hey, thanks to whoever recommended Children of Time ITT. Loved it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the ability to be jerks to other players is the entire reason you pick these pvpve games instead of playing a pure pve coop game though
like why would anyone even want to play an extraction shooter if they didn't want to frag some loser carrying a million dollars in loot, ruin his day, and take it all for themselves

PVPVE means PVP with extra steps. the AI in hunt adds variety to matches by changing the routes players take through maps and forcing players to be vulnerable by making some amount of noise. it’s not a PVE game with added jerks, it’s explicitly a PVP game and everyone knows it, but it wouldn’t really work without without the extra dimension the AI brings to it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1229/Overlord_Ultimate_Evil_Collection/

A very violent Pikmin game with you being the bad guy, for over a dollar. All my friends have the great Overlord game and Raising Hell. Overlord 2 dropped the ball and there is an unrelated game in the bundle.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Firmament is out and it's uh, really rough. A VR-first game that people are saying has bad VR implementation and just playing it on desktop I managed to softlock myself five minutes into the game. And then when I tried to load the autosave to get myself out of it the game hanged.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Croccers posted:

IIRC Tarkov does this with player scavengers. If you, playing as a scavenger, shoot another scav, your IIRC get a fairly sizable delay on when you can play scav again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The biggest problem with Extraction Shooters is that the first one is the best, Hunt: Showdown.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what the gently caress is an Extraction Shooter

are they clones of Dead Space: Extraction

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Hwurmp posted:

what the gently caress is an Extraction Shooter

are they clones of Dead Space: Extraction

You shoot stuff (players, NPCs) and then leave or extract from the map. Tarkov, Hunt:Showdown, etc.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deceive Inc. is the only extraction shooter I've actually clicked with

I think it's because everyone's a TF2 spy and also prop hunt

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

The biggest problem with Extraction Shooters is that the first one is the best, Hunt: Showdown.

:goonsay:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hell tarkov predates it by two years

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Firmament is out and it's uh, really rough. A VR-first game that people are saying has bad VR implementation and just playing it on desktop I managed to softlock myself five minutes into the game. And then when I tried to load the autosave to get myself out of it the game hanged.

Thanks for saving me some time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paRKV91xqso

New gameplay video for Warhammer 40k: Boltgun (releases may 23). For some odd reason the video doesn't have music, still looking great though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Croccers posted:

Yes and no, the incentive for not being a jerk is that you're liable to get shot if you are too aggressive. But if you mean in the sense of people who have 1000 hours in it and know the map inside and out, yeah.

The problem with doing things like Blue Force or whatever is that in these games if you see someone moving towards you and they aren't your buddies then you are around 0.5 seconds from dying. You just end up with the same problem that the newest Battlefield had where everyone looked the same other than the icons above their heads and it leads you to shooting friendlies/not shooting enemies all the time. Except in an extraction shooter that can mean dumping hours of character progression down the drain.

There's a reason why Hunt is the best, even with better weapons you rarely get truly OHKO from a long distance unless you're being super obvious in front of a sniper, and if you are in regular shooting range then you can usually tell where enemies are from all the sound cues that litter the map.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 18, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1229/Overlord_Ultimate_Evil_Collection/

A very violent Pikmin game with you being the bad guy, for over a dollar. All my friends have the great Overlord game and Raising Hell. Overlord 2 dropped the ball and there is an unrelated game in the bundle.

Oh poo poo, Overlord was great! How does it run on Steam Deck?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

New gameplay video for Warhammer 40k: Boltgun (releases may 23). For some odd reason the video doesn't have music, still looking great though.

mods change my name to Exalted Flamer

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

drives me insane that the clones all try to copy tarkov instead of hunt. Still haven’t seen another game in the genre that feels like it‘s competing with hunt because they all do awful things like instantly disconnect killed teammates from the match with no spectate or revival features, aren’t designed around teams as a baseline, don’t have a common objective for all the teams to fight over so everyone is instead just doing their own thing, have AI that amounts to boring bot players instead of being asymmetrical, and most importantly, don’t feature cowboys with lovely 19th-century sharps rifles

edit: Tarkov also has an absolutely insane cheater problem and hunt doesn’t.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 18, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's a thief character in Deceive Inc that can, with a perk, pickpocket inventory from other players without breaking either of their disguises.

This includes the objective package.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

drives me insane that the clones all try to copy tarkov instead of hunt. Still haven’t seen another game in the genre that feels like it‘s competing with hunt because they all do awful things like instantly disconnect killed teammates from the match with no spectate or revival features, aren’t designed around teams as a baseline, don’t have a common objective for all the teams to fight over so everyone is instead just doing their own thing, have AI that amounts to boring bot players instead of being asymmetrical, and most importantly, don’t feature cowboys with lovely 19th-century sharps rifles

There is a fantasy one coming out with Dark and Darker but we'll see how that actually works out long term.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Uh you may want to look what happened to Dark and Darker

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

Uh you may want to look what happened to Dark and Darker

Probably not a good sign when the "legal issues" section on Wikipedia is the longest one. Well I guess we probably won't be getting Dark and Darker then.

Is it sad that I was relieved that they just were being accused of copyright infringement and not that the lead dev turned out to be a sex pest or something?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Angry Lobster posted:

Its a bit weird they made a big deal about getting Rahul Kohli to voice the main character when he's apparently just shouting through a fuzzy voice modulator.

Do like how the armour pick-up is literally called Contempt though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The main marketed guy on the cover of DI is a dad and his default special skill turns him briefly invincible, making fighting him head on a rough prospect unless you can get the drop on him or catch him out while it's on cooldown.

He activates it by looking at a locket with a picture of his daughters and basically deciding, nope, not gonna die today.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dark and Darker is some sub-Morrowind combat and I have no idea why so many people are into it even with the encounters VOIP can sometimes provide.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orv posted:

Dark and Darker is some sub-Morrowind combat and I have no idea why so many people are into it even with the encounters VOIP can sometimes provide.

Man, yeah, I thought the combat felt god awful when I played it. I appreciate what they're trying but I did not enjoy what I played of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Orv posted:

I found it passable but I also played morrowind a lot so maybe I'm just used to it.

After all what is morrowind combat if not a first person shooter with a sword? Perfect mechanism for a fantasy RPG.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I found it passable but I also played morrowind a lot so maybe I'm just used to it.

After all what is morrowind combat if not a first person shooter with a sword? Perfect mechanism for a fantasy RPG.

I love Morrowind to death but for a game in 2023 no matter how I indie I want some more feel to my melee combat than one very slow, very bad animation per weapon. Especially multiplayer pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There’s actually a bunch of differently angled attacks in Morrowind but the devs had that option default to off because players didn’t like it :v: