Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

I'm the...crown moulding? Chaotic neutral ceiling baseboard? I don't know what the hell you'd call that here.
Those are designed to hide blinds/curtains underneath. Was a thing back in the 80's along with that paneling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Horatius Bonar posted:

It's in keeping with the other new build across the street, though they used like 7 different facades stacked. I think it's more local city council than architects that want this look.

Ops building is in the back right. The crappy part of construction there is when a plumbers apprentice left a valve for a fridge open on a Friday and we come in Monday to find every unit from floor 19 down flooded down the stack, the day before occupancy lol, lol.

From pages back, but my friend just moved into this building.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

StormDrain posted:

Window valances, made of course from painted wood wainscoting. Window Painscoting. Sketchy Valances.

The Carpenter that Shot Sketchy Valence

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Carpenter that Shot Sketchy Valence

I was going for more of a Day that Trim Carpentry died vibe.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Deteriorata posted:

Crappy Construction: I'm generally not a fluorescent lighting fan.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jenkl posted:

Deteriorata posted:

I'm generally not a fluorescent lighting fan.

If it didn't require so much context, yes.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If it didn't require so much context, yes.

When I first came here, this was all dark. Everyone said I was daft to wire a shop light on a fan, but I wired in all the same, just to show them. It fell onto the carpet. So I wired a second one. That fell onto the carpet. So I wired a third. That caught fire, blew up, then fell onto the carpet. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the brightest ceiling fan in all of England.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Harry_Potato posted:

When I first came here, this was all dark. Everyone said I was daft to wire a shop light on a fan, but I wired in all the same, just to show them. It fell onto the carpet. So I wired a second one. That fell onto the carpet. So I wired a third. That caught fire, blew up, then fell onto the carpet. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the brightest ceiling fan in all of England.

:golfclap:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not mine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It's for 90 degree water, obviously

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't kink shame.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Don't kink shame.

/threadtitle

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Don't kink shame.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Field fabricated flow restrictors. What's the problem??

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

GreenNight posted:

Don't kink shame.

:lol:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

oh you took a picture of the feed lines to my dishwasher

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Weird flex

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nenonen posted:

It's for 90 degree water, obviously

Well played.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

I love a picture like this, because I can't really figure out myself what's gone wrong without some more context, but it's so very clear that something has gone terribly wrong.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Well that's terrifying

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think what's happened is a 12th century ship beam repurposed as a 15th century beam in a building has finally given up the ghost despite efforts to keep it alive in previous decades with steel supports being added, so now they've put in a hefty header to just hold it up.

This sort of thing isn't that uncommon in the UK, probably elsewhere in europe too. The brits chopped down all their ancient huge oaks by the middle ages, so huge pieces of wood were super valuable and re-used for centuries.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The way it delaminates makes me think it was glue laminated in probably the 20th century at the soonest.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm. It didn't strike me as a laminated beam at first but if it is, the orientation is wrong, laminations should go vertically not horizontally.

I think we may just be seeing regular splits along the beam, the wood looks pretty rotten to me, but it is confusing. Those are round headed wire nails, not really old ones, it's got ancient plaster stuck to it, it's quite weird.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Even if that was old wood, why would they have over a dozen boards stacked high like that? And up in the ceiling like that? Seems kinda odd without wider context.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Yeah just speculating. It's a weird one.

E: I mean everything can look 12th century with enough moisture intrusion

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 18, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Orvin posted:

Even if that was old wood, why would they have over a dozen boards stacked high like that? And up in the ceiling like that? Seems kinda odd without wider context.

I mean I think it's one huge beam, not a bunch of stacked boards, and it's just coming apart in a visually deceptive way.

Here's an example:

The lower beam is separating along parallel lines a bit (I'm referring to the horizontal ones, there's also vertical lines but ignore those), and they're somewhat regular.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Leperflesh posted:

The brits chopped down all their ancient huge oaks by the middle ages, so huge pieces of wood were super valuable and re-used for centuries.

Age of sail capital ships used so much wood. HMS Victory's hull used 60 acres worth of oak forest.

John Quincy Adams as president set aside a big swath of old growth oak forest in Florida as federally protected. By some definitions it could be called the first government protected nature preserve, but it was less conservation and more strategic reserve. Gotta have a good source of warship building materials in case we get in a shooting war with those old world scoundrels.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://imgur.com/user/AlphaStructural

quote:

Ever seen a load-bearing beam melt under pressure?

Now you have.

Photo came from someone that does structural assessments in California, I think Los Angeles specifically.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

FISHMANPET posted:

I love a picture like this, because I can't really figure out myself what's gone wrong without some more context, but it's so very clear that something has gone terribly wrong.

I’ll guess termites.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm. It didn't strike me as a laminated beam at first but if it is, the orientation is wrong, laminations should go vertically not horizontally.

Gluelam beams are typically stacked boards that look almost exactly like that. Excessive water damage could have led to it delamination and wood rotting and falling apart.

Gluelam

You may have been thinking of microlams or lvls which are laminated vertically.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup! OK well maybe it's one of those then, I felt confident at first but less-so now.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

FISHMANPET posted:

Looks like water to me...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://imgur.com/user/AlphaStructural

Photo came from someone that does structural assessments in California, I think Los Angeles specifically.

All i am seeing is a cat who pretends to eat a phone charger cord to get her owner out of bed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tunicate posted:

All i am seeing is a cat who pretends to eat a phone charger cord to get her owner out of bed.

Probably have to have an account to see other people's accounts and it just gives you a random pic instead, I guess.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm not signed in and I can see it. I would like to see the cat though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cool Dad posted:

I'm not signed in and I can see it. I would like to see the cat though.

Same to both

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, “pretends”…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Post the cat.