Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

The ROK was pretty Political leading up to the war, btw. Liberals always leave that part out.

Liberals leave off the entire Korean war. It's completely gone from public discourse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
O'Doyle Rules Based International Order

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

gradenko_2000 posted:

O'Doyle Rules Based International Order

gonna need biden driving a van shouting that as he drives over a cliff asap

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also it was a frozen conflict for 8 years.

Apparently that made nobody happy, that's why the conflict isn't frozen any more.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Frosted Flake posted:

This one is a bit more recent, so I distinctly remember a, I guess ethnographer isn’t the right word, maybe sociologist, came in to explain that China believes that it is the Middle Kingdom and everyone else are barbarians, and that motivates their foreign policy.

Then went over the Century of Humiliation, Opium Wars and Boxer Rebellion and everything else nonchalantly. Approaching the present day, they then explained that China is unfair by refusing to really participate in free trade and the Rules Based International Order, the reason why being aforementioned belief in Chinese Supremacy.

Idk, you would feel crazy if you said China was reasonable to act the way they do. I’m not even going to touch on the Arab-Moslem component, you can infer.

US straight up ban Chinese company to invest in US ports, and you call China unfair for not allowing foreign companies to own more than 50% of the Chinese domestic companies? They can't even up their "rule based order" straight.

Huawei can't even sell phones in the US. FBI didn't bother to doctor a fake "security backdoor" in the Huawei phones and telecom equipments, just straight up banned.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

The difference is that people in PRC, I assume, didn't see Korea as a rightful part of China.

And things were a lot more uneven in military capabilities.

No, but they did see it as a corridor that allowed the Japanese to launch a massive, brutal, decade long war that left the country devastated. Might have something to do with why they came charging to the DPRK's rescue when the UN came knocking.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

~ Visit lovely Ukraine ~

quote:

Summer is at the door: If you still haven't booked a vacation, travel to Ukraine

A vacation to Ukraine would be an important signal to Ukrainians that they haven't been forgotten.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slava Dani

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Weird sense of humor

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Welcome to Ukraine, a country of rich history, diverse culture, and breathtaking landscapes! Despite the ongoing conflict, Ukraine remains a beautiful and welcoming destination that is well worth a visit.

From the bustling cities of Kyiv and Lviv to the charming towns of Odesa and Chernivtsi, Ukraine has something to offer every traveler. Explore the stunning Carpathian Mountains, soak up the sun on the Black Sea coast, or discover the ancient castles and fortresses that dot the countryside.

Take a stroll through the streets of Lviv, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its charming architecture and vibrant cafe culture. Or visit the iconic St. Sophia Cathedral in Kyiv, a masterpiece of Byzantine architecture that dates back to the 11th century.

Ukraine is also a food lover's paradise, with a rich culinary heritage that blends Eastern European and Central Asian flavors. Sample traditional dishes like borscht, varenyky, and holubtsi, and wash it all down with a glass of locally produced horilka.

Despite the challenges that Ukraine has faced in recent years, its people have remained resilient and determined to share their country's beauty and warmth with visitors. So, why not book your trip to Ukraine today and experience all that this incredible country has to offer?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SplitSoul posted:

~ Visit lovely Ukraine ~

caro reaction:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Putting the tourism into war tourism.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

america's idea of "peace" for 70 years has meant "we're the boss and no one gets out of line." it's what most americans see as "peace" domestically, too. strong cops, no disorder.

They make a desert and call it peace, same as it ever was.

Vultures robbing everything, leaving nothing but chains.

OctaMurk posted:

almost did tho. man bombed soleimani. trump was no angel

On the scale of US Presidents, almost starting a war puts you near the top of the list.

Frosted Flake posted:

They had people so fired up for a climactic battle of good and evil and I have not heard any arguments of why China is an adversary or what they have done wrong in the simplistic, moral terms that were universally deployed around Ukraine.

Uhh really? Cus China "genociding" Uyghurs is like a thing every Jack and Jill "knows" to be true. I've even heard it extended to "China is probably genociding all the other ethnic minorities too".

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 17:42 on May 18, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

They make a desert and call it peace, same as it ever was.

Vultures robbing everything, leaving nothing but chains.

On the scale of US Presidents, almost starting a war puts you near the top of the list.

Uhh really? Cus China "genociding" Uyghurs is like a thing every Jack and Jill "knows" to be true. I've even heard it extended to "China is probably genociding all the other ethnic minorities too".

Oh man wait till Americans hear about what we did to Muslims in the few decades after 9/11.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It is official United States policy that everyone in Afghanistan deserves to starve to death and that Yemen should have died in famine too, but the real bad guy is China. and since obviously they’re worse than us, we can only imagine the horrors China must be doing.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1659222493880627204

Even Sukuhoi UAC is spooling up production on Su-35s and Su-57s

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That is impossible, they must be fakes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was reliably informed they make one aircraft a year!!!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/snekotron/status/1659222493880627204

Even Sukuhoi UAC is spooling up production on Su-35s and Su-57s

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I need to correct this from the last page because the Polish education system taught me that Nazis were bad because they invaded Poland, and killed 4 million Poles in the Holocaust ("and some Jews I guess" is the prevailing Polish opinion), but the Soviets were much worse than the Nazis because they executed around 10,000 army officers at Katyń, and that is a far more evil thing to do than the Holocaust.

I'm happy to hear the Polish education system hasn't been polluted by "woke"!

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Western media outlets realizing why the war was declared in the first place in real time.

"Wait... why didn't they do this before they decoupled their economy from exploitative western hegemony???"

Paranoid Dude has issued a correction as of 18:47 on May 18, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVYlRyuZ84

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Sounds like the Patriots successfully shot down the incoming missile before they even took off. God drat, they are good

Patriot missile made a successful intercept without even leaving its launcher

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is that what they impeached trump with in the end? all i remember it was something to do with ukraine and and les/lev (?) parnas and some officer dude who listened in to calls and something? didn’t like what trump was saying?

gently caress me, just totally switched off at the end of trumps term. at least he didn’t go to war with iran for knocking out a billion dollar drone, but then he did nearly go to war with iran knocking out a genera so…

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

lol

https://twitter.com/UkieDanya/status/1658939285683445773?t=EZfdL16SEDgnfbsmLMNmlg&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

turkey, so yes

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

lol pretending Trump is not related to most subjects and knowledge. he is involved in every major event of the 20th and 21st century

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

SplitSoul posted:

~ Visit lovely Ukraine ~

I asked ChatGPT to helpfully write a promotional blurb for this spectacular holiday destination!

quote:

Immerse yourself in vibrant Ukraine, a land where historical richness meets spirited fervor, handpicked just for the audacious traveler! Taste authentic cuisine amidst lively discussions about the flourishing of a singular political ideology - a poignant testament to unity, as opposition parties graciously make way for a...um...consolidated democracy.

Marvel at our energetic, dynamic leader, wholeheartedly embracing the guiding hands of 'experience' - NATO being a...coincidental mentor in this political renaissance. Cherish the close-knit tapestry of Ukraine's citizenry, now fortuitously bolstered by a flurry of uniformed men, their tattoos bearing symbols of...er...unconventional cultural significance.

As night falls, behold the majestic spectacle of our marvelous light displays, the sky alight with breathtaking... pyrotechnics. A thrilling nocturnal event, oddly synchronized with distant rhythmic rumblings, that make for a...unique nightcap to your exhilarating day.

Delight in the panoramic views of our golden fields, now ornamented with an awe-inspiring array of...artistic installations, curiously reminiscent of freshly minted Western military equipment. But remember, adventure often calls for a vigilant eye - our landscape holds...hidden surprises, encouraging you to mind your step as you wander.

Ukraine - a unique voyage where culture, democracy, and modernity merge in the most...remarkable way. Indulge in the extraordinary, because there's no adventure quite like a Ukrainian adventure!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ovenmaster posted:

I asked ChatGPT to helpfully write a promotional blurb for this spectacular holiday destination!

chatgpt

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ai bullshit should be probe on sight imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Slavvy posted:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Slavvy posted:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Puppy Burner posted:

Ukraine on the blockchain
Ukraine in the brain

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

crazy insane, got no grain

HiroProtagonist posted:

Stalin till i maintain

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fellow Something Awful-goers, let's not dismiss AI-generated posts outright. Here are a few reasons why we should embrace the chaos:

Unpredictable Humor: AI posts bring unexpected laughter with their absurdity.

Unleashing Creativity: AI-generated content pushes the boundaries of human imagination.

Exploring New Frontiers: Engaging with AI posts helps us understand AI's capabilities and limitations.

Amplifying Human Creativity: AI-generated content inspires our own creative endeavors.

The Joy of Absurdity: Let's enjoy the wild and unpredictable nature of AI-generated posts.

So, rather than banning them, let's revel in the unique charm AI brings to our online experiences.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
AI can't make Putin pamp his diaper

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Jel Shaker posted:

is that what they impeached trump with in the end? all i remember it was something to do with ukraine and and les/lev (?) parnas and some officer dude who listened in to calls and something? didn’t like what trump was saying?

gently caress me, just totally switched off at the end of trumps term. at least he didn’t go to war with iran for knocking out a billion dollar drone, but then he did nearly go to war with iran knocking out a genera so…

congress had approved money for ukraine and trump refused to actually send it unless ukraine released hunter biden's dick pics or emails or w/e iirc

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

US straight up ban Chinese company to invest in US ports, and you call China unfair for not allowing foreign companies to own more than 50% of the Chinese domestic companies? They can't even up their "rule based order" straight.

Huawei can't even sell phones in the US. FBI didn't bother to doctor a fake "security backdoor" in the Huawei phones and telecom equipments, just straight up banned.

"rules based order" means that the us makes the rules and everybody else has to follow those or else

and then the shitlibs are making the shocked pikachu face when most everybody who isn't a us vassal is decoupling from said order as fast as they can

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Truga posted:

the difference between 5nm and 3nm chips is about a billion times smaller than the difference between similar suites of software running on them, never mind loving electron web apps

Software "coded" by AI as cheaply as possible is going to be such a resource hog, lmao

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

dk2m posted:

This is what pro-labor activists have been saying for decades - privatizing essential services actually drives up the cost of industrial production because now companies have to pay out of pocket for healthcare, take into account rising housing costs, pay accordingly for education, and so on.

In countries where those things are cheap/free, labor costs are cheaper, but that doesn’t mean that labor resembles a pauper class - on the contrary, more of their money is left over after taxes to be spent on consumer goods, rather than forking it over to the various debt collectors after them for their student loans, mortgages, etc.

In the US, this is so normalized that we’ve even started saying things like “overall savings are increasing” as a way to actually say people are paying down debt, not literally saving money in their bank account. When housing costs becomes artificially inflated due to easy credit policies, you end up having to pay your starting engineer $100k just to even live in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Historically, industrial capitalists have resisted this capture of the system by rentier classes that indebt a population (we used to call this feudalism, but I digress), because it leads to the situation we’re now seeing with TSMC. That no longer exists, as most companies are CFO led and prioritize wealth extraction in the short term over the much longer term reinvestment strategy of industrial capitalists.

Any good reading on the conflict of interest between industrial capitalists and debt rentier capitalists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

congress had approved money for ukraine and trump refused to actually send it unless ukraine released hunter biden's dick pics or emails or w/e iirc

Also Trump called up Z and told him that exactly, hence the 'perfect phone call'.