Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Flambeau posted:

Strathmore 400 is good, economical, and available drat near anywhere. I like it better than Fabriano, way better than Canson.

E: Oh strathmore isn't 100% cotton, but if it's just for practice/funsies then why bother

going to have to disagree. strathmore is not great because it has a habit of pooling and being generally inconsistent. I found blending or adding washes or layers awful on strathmore and it would pool above the surface and not wick in the moisture properly.

its worth going for something 100% cotton so you've got a paper that behaves the same consistently so you're not fighting the paper so much. Anything with wood pulp in it just isn't the same IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Very recent painting! Doing a lot of life drawing lately which is making me want to play around with the figure.

jammiesjammer
Feb 14, 2023

Chernabog posted:

Stopped painting for a long time but finally started again.

Holy gently caress this is awesome! How do you make something like this and how long did it take you doing the gear-y things?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

jammiesjammer posted:

Holy gently caress this is awesome! How do you make something like this and how long did it take you doing the gear-y things?

The gears are 3D printed and take 1 to 3.5 hours depending on size. I then attach them onto a board of plywood and the painting takes between a week or two depending on the subject matter and size.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
I bought a cheapo watercolor set to see what it was all about. Lessons were learned. Including how watercolor dries and sets over time.

Edit: I think I'm into painting now.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

IkeTurner posted:

Edit: I think I'm into painting now.

:cheers: same here, crosspostin after finding this thread

SquirrelGrip posted:

I broke my wrist and to keep me sane I was gifted some art stuff. Here’s the last 3 days worth of time filling. Watercolour brush pens are ok, but I prefer the ink and some brushes.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Quick Change

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

drat, that is a compelling portrait. Well done!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks! It's another in a series of clowns.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 13, 2023

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've been painting a series of small portraits of people whom I follow on Youtube. I'd randomly pause one of their videos and paint whatever the result was. Each one is painted with acrylics on chipboard and the painted area measures two inches by two inches. Been having a lot of fun with these!

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
More paints. More feelings.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2023

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I forgot to post the other prints I threw together the last few months

Chip McFuck posted:

I've been painting a series of small portraits of people whom I follow on Youtube. I'd randomly pause one of their videos and paint whatever the result was. Each one is painted with acrylics on chipboard and the painted area measures two inches by two inches. Been having a lot of fun with these!

Rad

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

dupersaurus posted:

I forgot to post the other prints I threw together the last few months

Rad
Can I buy any of these?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Neon Noodle posted:

Can I buy any of these?

Drop me a message on Etsy (or PM if you want to stay away from Etsy) and we can make it happen

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

It’s four days to go until my next market, so that means it times to make some more birds

Great Blue Heron, 12x18 inches

Killdeer, 8x10 inches

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Ooh, I especially love the heron!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I entered a "tomato art" festival, up to 3 pieces are due this weekend and despite completing a dozen or so paintings I'm not sure any are worth submitting. This is the first time I've tried to publicly show my art and its super nerve wracking.

Anyways I've been playing with this idea of Venus de Mato

Birth of a BLT

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Chip McFuck posted:

Also these are awesome

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Year of the rabbit.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Been painting much more these days but im feeling super proud of this one for whatever reason

14x18 oil on canvas.
"Mt St Helens Looms over Cold Water Lake"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks good op 👍

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Looks incredible, I'd be proud of it too. Washington definitely has more than its fair share of great scenery for landscapes.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I bought some wooden orbs to experiment with and painted this burger on one. I call it "The Borb":

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

How does it taste

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chip McFuck posted:

I bought some wooden orbs to experiment with and painted this burger on one. I call it "The Borb":

that must have been such a challenge to paint and not like smudge while holding it.

I really like it. Have you give any thought to how youll display it or future ones?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

How does it taste

Like victory.

silicone thrills posted:

that must have been such a challenge to paint and not like smudge while holding it.

I really like it. Have you give any thought to how youll display it or future ones?

Thanks! Haven't really thought about how to display them, but your question has got me thinking of maybe making a small little cardboard burger box or tinfoil wrapper. I'll experiment with those and see how I like them.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Crystal ball holder

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Made another one. I call it the "Filet O'rb Fish":

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I guess this is a series now. Had fun with this one:

Ever see a sandwich that can take a bite outta you?

Based off of:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol.

do you have plans for the best sandwich of all BLT

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^You mean the Broodwich?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

No plans for any specific burgers/sandwiches, just whatever catches my inspiration.

Sab669 posted:

^You mean the Broodwich?

Its funny you say that, as this is the one I made next:

Based off this for those who don't know:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Incredible.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sab669 posted:

Incredible.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Think I almost done with this one.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

I like it a lot! The texture on the coat is especially nice, was that achieved by layering pen and guache or was that made with a different technique?

Here's a little painting I made on a playing card:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished this one today:

The Baby You Can Chive My Orb Burger

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

A few new things for people to not buy

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

God these are rad. Very cool

Just finished this. 14 x 18 oil on canvas of Dungeness Spit near sequim washington.

Hoping when i varnish it it pops and evens everything out a bit more but I also just might do a linseed or walnut glaze in a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023

dupersaurus posted:

I love this so much.