Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I play a harp now instead. Far more pleasant of an instrument. Cumbersome as all hell and broken strings are more likely to result in the loss of an eye. Everyone ought to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i played saxophone in middle and high school, as well as guitar. cant do either of those things anymore though.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I played trumpet at school. Every kid had their own personal mouthpiece but then you had to wrestle each other to get the coolest looking doot before each band practice.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

That DICK! posted:

me, returning school trombone at end of sophomore year

Teacher: why is this all dented and burned

Me: we shot fireworks out of it

Teacher: why

Me: to honor Chris Benoit

Teacher: what

Me: it was before all the other stuff came out abt it

lmfao

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

My fondest high school band memory will always be the look on my band director's face when he asked me if I was going to try out for Ohio State's marching band and I said "Psh, no way".

The shift from this near-paternal pride to sadness was delicious.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Psycho Landlord posted:

I played tuba and did attempt to fire objects out of it

We were unsuccessful in our attempts but we did bust up one of the tubas really bad and pinned the blame on the kids in shop class next door, which resulted in a year long feud between the band director and the coach that ran that class that was pretty funny
Two rejected subplots from an early-00's teen comedy.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I play violin. Its not very interesting but I like to talk about it cos it's important to me

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Zero_Grade posted:

Two rejected subplots from an early-00's teen comedy.

American Pie Presents Sax and Violins

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I play violin. Its not very interesting but I like to talk about it cos it's important to me

I love violin, I always wanted to learn it but my folks thought it would be too much effort and money so they found me the scariest teacher they could for a trial lesson to turn me off of it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Speaking as a parent, wtf

Edit : admittedly my parenting style is largely summed up by nodding sagely to things Ned Flanders’ parents say in that one episode

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I assume you are also preparing them for the upcoming skeleton war? Unless your username is ironic, of course.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

skeleton warrior posted:

Edit : admittedly my parenting style is largely summed up by nodding sagely to things Ned Flanders’ parents say in that one episode

My parents were informed by Dr Spock and their parents, who were the reason I was scared of old people as a child.

Which made their finding an octogenarian former schoolmarm as a violin instructor incredibly effective.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

skeleton warrior posted:

How does it feel to be a beatnik in 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Grassy Knowles posted:

I love violin, I always wanted to learn it but my folks thought it would be too much effort and money so they found me the scariest teacher they could for a trial lesson to turn me off of it.

Please have another go, I was 25 when I got into it for real

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Grassy Knowles posted:

That's hosed up.

My parents wanted me to learn an instrument, and guided me towards cello on the theory that I walked to school and it's less unpleasant sounding than violin when you suck.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

violins is never the answer...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Please have another go, I was 25 when I got into it for real

I intend to! I went on a few dates with an instructor a few years ago that turned into a close friendship, but first there was the whole pandemic and now we’ve both had too much other poo poo to deal with to spend our time doing anything more than walking and whinging. It would be real nice to be able to play a violin instead of loading a VST.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Marcade posted:

I assume you are also preparing them for the upcoming skeleton war? Unless your username is ironic, of course.

My son is not yet enough of a skeleton to learn my ways. Wait- did you think my username was “skeleton warrior” as in one who fights skeletons? Cripes, I never thought of it in that way. That’s disappointingly ambiguous.

Anyways,

Glad to hear it! I’m finally getting back into playing the piano and it’s been hugely rewarding. It helps a bunch that I can buy my own choice of music to learn rather than “19th Century Folk Songs No One Cares About But Are Public Domain” and “Songs In A Hand-Me-Down Fingering Exercise Book That Is So 1950s That It Doesn’t Understand What’s Funny About Being A Fingering Exercise Book”

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

skeleton warrior posted:

“Songs In A Hand-Me-Down Fingering Exercise Book That Is So 1950s That It Doesn’t Understand What’s Funny About Being A Fingering Exercise Book”

I have no doubt someone involved in publishing the book knew

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Music publishing in general is a huge loving swizz. Please go to https://imslp.org/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Music publishing in general is a huge loving swizz. Please go to https://imslp.org/

Hellllll yes thank you how have I not seen this

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

How does it feel to be a beatnik in 2023

when my oldest kid was pre-school age I tried to get them to call me 'daddy-o' or 'hepcat' for years but it never took

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Piano ftw.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Just lack of manual dexterity? Tone deaf and couldn't hear you were playing the wrong notes? I'm trying to imagine failing to play recorder on the level of an elementary schooler and I just can't.

a lot of cheapo school flutaphones are terrible quality and will have rough edges on the fingerholes(esp. on the underside "in" the tube) thatll disrupt clean airlow and make it easier to accidentally do that 'voice crack' thing

or the holes won't be perfectly round or horizontally level from sloppy manufacturing or heat warping if they're plastic or stuff like that

kids fingerpads are tiny aswell which means its harder to properly finger notes without leaking air or pressing too hard, and that added difficulty makes any little manufacturing flaws much more of an issue, some kids just physically have a lot of trouble maintaining a proper seal while others dont at all either from fingershape or having a better made one

soprano flutophones are pretty terrible instruments for children and the only reason they get used for public school is they're dirt cheap, don't require lungpower or complicated technique and can be played in a chorus

but try to find someone making one sound good, anywhere

if u want a nice cheap instrument for a kid to have fun with, get em a kalimba - they're cheap af, sturdy(as far as instruments go) sound beautiful, aren't overly loud, no mallets or w/e to lose, and designed to be readily playable by one person with no prior education besides how to pluck the keys, mega easy to learn songs on, can't go wrong w/ yorba 'limba

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

drat straight, man

::painstakingly plinks out "Something" in no discernable tempo::

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

a lot of cheapo school flutaphones are terrible quality and will have rough edges on the fingerholes(esp. on the underside "in" the tube) thatll disrupt clean airlow and make it easier to accidentally do that 'voice crack' thing

or the holes won't be perfectly round or horizontally level from sloppy manufacturing or heat warping if they're plastic or stuff like that

kids fingerpads are tiny aswell which means its harder to properly finger notes without leaking air or pressing too hard, and that added difficulty makes any little manufacturing flaws much more of an issue, some kids just physically have a lot of trouble maintaining a proper seal while others dont at all either from fingershape or having a better made one

soprano flutophones are pretty terrible instruments for children and the only reason they get used for public school is they're dirt cheap, don't require lungpower or complicated technique and can be played in a chorus

but try to find someone making one sound good, anywhere

if u want a nice cheap instrument for a kid to have fun with, get em a kalimba - they're cheap af, sturdy(as far as instruments go) sound beautiful, aren't overly loud, no mallets or w/e to lose, and designed to be readily playable by one person with no prior education besides how to pluck the keys, mega easy to learn songs on, can't go wrong w/ yorba 'limba

They even make electric kalimbas that you can plug into an amp nowadays!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

They even make electric kalimbas that you can plug into an amp nowadays!

Building one of these is a small project goal of mine over the summer.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

bass rules. love to play bass

always wanted to get a double bass so i could fulfill my dream of playing blues in dive bars but that poo poo is mad expensive

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Joey McChrist posted:

always wanted to get a double bass so i could fulfill my dream of playing blues in dive bars but that poo poo is mad expensive

get a 303
eta crossover with violinist chat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1NihqlDZo

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

you can tell who a real trombonist is by asking them if they ever put a bassoon reed in their mouthpiece

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Joey McChrist posted:

Having a double bass is like having an extra roommate.

Also, look for refurbished instruments or stuff you can get fixed up. Gollihur does a great rockabilly package (the Ed) which is really well done for the cost. Worst case, go full psychobilly and buy a near-useless instrument and paint it crazily.

Upright slap is stupidly fun.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

alwys liked clarinets. underrated instrument.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

viola is the noblest of instruments

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Joey McChrist posted:

I saw a centuries-old five string double bass in a museum in Florence, it ruled

stand-up basses ftw

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Nvm

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 19, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

rear end

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I can play the shoehorn and that's about it.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lobster shirt posted:

alwys liked clarinets. underrated instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpbFaRdLZws&t=36s

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

speaking of the violin, did anyone else ever forget to resin their bow at the worst possible moment? it was at a school concert (luckily an orchestra), everyone's parents were there, i moved the bow across the string and no sound came out at all. i had to sit there miming for 1.5 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can play the shoehorn and that's about it.

The kind with teeth?