Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

euphronius posted:

he called Obama “clean and articulate”

tbf id be hard pressed to come up with any other positive attributes, he is just an empty suit that gives good speeches :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

strong ethereal bisexual repellant

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah a $5 footlong was a loving deal in college. Now they want like $15 for the same sandwich. Get the gently caress out of here!

It's not the same sandwich, it's a vastly worse imitation of the same sandwich.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

States are actively throwing millions off Medicaid right now as I type this and no one’s even making a peep out of it, it’s just baseline accepted misery. These negotiations are about getting some extra misery dumped on to the pile.

what are you going to do when your tenant cant make rent

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

This article from our friends at the Economist feels like doomsday economics. Lightly edited:

What the world’s hottest MBA courses reveal about 21st-century business

STANFORD UNIVERSITY’S Graduate School of Business (GSB) exhorts its students to dream big. When one of its alumni in the class of 2006, Rishi Sunak, became Britain’s prime minister last year, the dean welcomed the news as if it had always been inevitable. “Rishi’s experience at Stanford raised his aspirations,” he proclaimed in a school-wide email. The GSB prides itself on offering the world’s most selective mba programme. Its class of 420 students is less than half the size of that of its arch-rival, Harvard Business School—and represents just 6% of applicants, compared with 10% or so for HBS. Although not all of them can be heads of government, many will follow alumni such as Asia’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani, or Detroit’s mightiest woman, Mary Barra of General Motors, into corporate stardom.

This makes the GSB the perfect place to glimpse the future of management. And there may be no better lens through which to examine it than the MBA programme’s most oversubscribed courses. Where the GSB’s highly driven bosses-to-be choose to spend their precious time speaks volumes about what they think will matter to their careers. And, given the clout they will eventually wield, those revealed preferences are going to define how the world’s most successful companies will be run.

The first leg of the triad is a module called “Paths to Power”. ..One way to maintain power, students are taught, is to avoid grooming successors. MBAs are quick to draw parallels with contemporary events. After a recent lecture a student observed that Donald Trump naively “created his own competition” when he endorsed Ron DeSantis for governor of Florida in 2018. How to guard against scheming rivals? One way is to hold “multiple overlapping roles” within an organisation, as an assigned reading recommends: it is harder to be defenestrated if multiple teams report to you.

Touchy Feely” directs them to turn their gaze to their own public image. The course, perhaps the GSB’s most famous, has been running for half a century. The course culminates in an activity that is known to induce tears in some. Students are asked to sort themselves into a line according to the degree of “influence” each person possesses. Those convinced of their own brilliance may try to insert themselves at the front of the pack. They risk getting rebuffed. Disagreements often erupt as others jostle for position near the front. It is humbling, even traumatic, to be consigned to the back of the line.

Jesus Christ what the gently caress Stanford?

This is all the opposite of what good evidence based leadership instruction is.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Leadership is about power and getting rich. I'd say this is all very evidence-based if you want to do that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the old boring vice president you put on the ticket to reassure people you're not a radical communist to the most progressive president of our lifetimes pipeline

wasn't he forced on Obama by AIPAC in exchange for not tearing him down as an anti-semite

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The HBO series "Succession" is actually a documentary on how this country is run.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yale and Princeton get all the attention as the nation's ghoul factories, but most of the blood-gargling tech poo poo comes straight outta Palo Alto

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Have you ever worked in any proximity with those types of loving people?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The HBO series "Succession" is actually a documentary on how this country is run.

I don't want to watch that show because I'll want to shoot at the TV.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

It's extremely well written and directed TV, but the characters are indeed loathsome as gently caress

Kibbles n Shits has issued a correction as of 19:31 on May 18, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

always am :c00l:

its going ot happen because dems are salivating at cutting social services.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

omg Biden isn’t even getting the removal
of the debt limit ??

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

euphronius posted:

of the debt limit ??

why would do they do that

dems could have removed it several times before but they don't want to. they want it to exist to cut social services

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

You were trained to be a mid level court functionary

They are being trained to inherit feudal titles

cat botherer posted:

Leadership is about power and getting rich. I'd say this is all very evidence-based if you want to do that.

It should be pretty obvious from the coursework where they sort themselves by status that this isn't about getting anything, it's about hoarding and guarding what's already theirs

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

euphronius posted:

of the debt limit ??

The whole point is that Democrats won't change anything. They can't, because that's their entire excuse for caving on this poo poo. The reason every conservative supreme court win is such a disaster is that the Democrats won't take any steps whatsoever to resolve these issues legislatively, and they won't do it for fiscal issues, either.

If they get rid of the debt limit, Republicans will no longer have leverage and Democrats will no longer have an excuse to "compromise."

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

very, very funny outcome possible from a debt ceiling deal:

full article

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

alarumklok posted:

strong ethereal bisexual repellant

Spraying myself with Obama before walking into the Coheed and Cambria concert

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

20 Blunts posted:

Have you ever worked in any proximity with those types of loving people?

I would contrast what Stanford is teaching with other programs. it’s not (and I know this from personal experience) what one would see in the service academies for leadership instruction. I also do not believe it’s inline even with other high level MBA programs, like Harvard. it’s certainly not what I saw in my management graduate studies (but tbf my master was a MS not an MBA.)

I think it’s this:

Nothus posted:

most of the blood-gargling tech poo poo comes straight outta Palo Alto

This is successful (lucky) tech ghouls being invited in to teach leadership as “experts”.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

what about cornpop

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Being a collaborative, humane, humble leader of other human beings is effective if you want to pull a group together and accomplish things as a unit

Being a sociopathic narcissistic hoarder is effective if you want to hold onto and accumulate capital and entrench yourself in that position

Should be pretty obvious which is prevalent in the c-suite

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

poor kids have as many opportunities as white kids

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Should be pretty obvious which is prevalent in the c-suite

it depends on the particular c-suite. it’s kindof amazing how much worse tech is.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

skooma512 posted:

I thought I would feel the same but it's quite good. Quality TV stuff imo. Can totally get it if you can't get into it though but I went in knowing from the get go that no one in the show is likable, no one.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Paradoxish posted:

The whole point is that Democrats won't change anything. They can't, because that's their entire excuse for caving on this poo poo. The reason every conservative supreme court win is such a disaster is that the Democrats won't take any steps whatsoever to resolve these issues legislatively, and they won't do it for fiscal issues, either.

If they get rid of the debt limit, Republicans will no longer have leverage and Democrats will no longer have an excuse to "compromise."

it's almost like all the political theater is just kayfabe bullshit when the Fascist Party and the Other Fascist Party want the same things on most substantial issues, but still perform symbolic opposition

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

full article

a liquidity crisis sounds like a great idea while banks are failing or threatening to

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

a liquidity crisis sounds like a great idea while banks are failing or threatening to

Sounds like you shouldn't have invested so hard into extremely illiquid assets like houses. Whoops!!!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

webcams for christ posted:

"Would have the same effect as a quarter point rate hike"

YAWN

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Bar Ran Dun posted:

stanford is the worst university in america and its not even close lol

its sole purpose is to produce a steady stream of little eichmanns

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

euphronius posted:

of the debt limit ??

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Stanford University is modeled in the game Watch Dogs 2…. end of post.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

it depends on the particular c-suite. it’s kindof amazing how much worse tech is.

Every new industry is filled with the worst form of robber baron executive and tycoon because you need to be a particular kind of cut-throat to cement your power when it is new and unsettled, those who follow follow are happy to coast on the dividends from what their predecessors stole. Same poo poo as when the railroads were first getting built out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

It's not the same sandwich, it's a vastly worse imitation of the same sandwich.

Yeah, that too.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Remember when Obama agreed to Boehner's budget cuts in exchange for six months of extended unemployment?

I do.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks posted:

https://twitter.com/Ant_Partnership/status/1659080930777088001

Large ice-free regions in the Antarctic, at the winter solstice, while receiving no sunlight. It's fine. Number will see this and not care because most economic activity is indoors... near the coast.

Looking at the other side of the planet, this trend will also improve the economic feasibility of overseas shipping through the Arctic Ocean!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hubbert posted:

Looking at the other side of the planet, this trend will also improve the economic feasibility of overseas shipping invading Russia through the Arctic Ocean!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Tbh I've been saying hollywood should stop making any new tv shows or movies for 5 or 10 years and I'm just glad to know they're listening to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lobster is good