Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Clark Nova posted:

if the mini bus needs its own lane, why can’t it be a tram? I assume china doesn’t have that thing where building streetcar tracks gets quoted at $800 million per mile for no discernible reason
A mini bus like that wouldn’t need it’s own lane. The kind of situation I’m thinking about would be moving very few people compared to trams or even buses, but would have good coverage. Keeping environmental and economic costs low would be pretty key, and roads are already there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

if you put the buses on some kind of rudimentary track system you'd drastically reduce the AI requirements needed to pilot them since their paths would be physically restricted

just a thought

I don't think going in a straight line is the hard part. but having rails makes it easier to keep the cars off. Usually.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

no-one has ever been killed by a seafront train and they've been running for decades. you just have the thing go slow enough and paint a line on the ground so people know to look in case the train is coming.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

genericnick posted:

I don't think going in a straight line is the hard part. but having rails makes it easier to keep the cars off. Usually.
The tram system in Seattle would beg to disagree. Even the light rail gets blocked all the time by morons on its at-grade portion. Buses can go around, but trams get stuck. This was a very serious problem for me when I used to commute by the link a lot.

Horace posted:

no-one has ever been killed by a seafront train and they've been running for decades. you just have the thing go slow enough and paint a line on the ground so people know to look in case the train is coming.
Sure, it's safe too, but what advantage would a small tram have over a minibus? It's already generally acknowledged that most new on-street tram systems are just for the benefit of developers. Just shove that money into buses and real metro systems with big-boy underground or elevated trains.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 19:37 on May 18, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cat botherer posted:

? It's already generally acknowledged that most new on-street tram systems are just for the benefit of developers. Just shove that money into buses and real metro systems with big-boy underground or elevated trains.

Who acknowledges that? Maybe in the US where it costs a billion per meter, but rails+overhead cables is a pretty strong combo for efficient transport.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

genericnick posted:

Who acknowledges that? Maybe in the US where it costs a billion per meter, but rails+overhead cables is a pretty strong combo for efficient transport.

I figure electric trams pulling from overhead wires is a way better solution than cramming tons of lithium into every single bus

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

cat botherer posted:

The tram system in Seattle would beg to disagree. Even the light rail gets blocked all the time by morons on its at-grade portion. Buses can go around, but trams get stuck. This was a very serious problem for me when I used to commute by the link a lot.

Sure, it's safe too, but what advantage would a small tram have over a minibus? It's already generally acknowledged that most new on-street tram systems are just for the benefit of developers. Just shove that money into buses and real metro systems with big-boy underground or elevated trains.

The seafront train is a minibus, effectively. They run on tyres, the tracks are just paint on the road.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I figure electric trams pulling from overhead wires is a way better solution than cramming tons of lithium into every single bus

:science: you can split the difference with a supercapacitor bus, though I haven't heard about these in years so in hindsight I guess it was probably just a scheme to make transit unworkable

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

:science: you can split the difference with a supercapacitor bus, though I haven't heard about these in years so in hindsight I guess it was probably just a scheme to make transit unworkable

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

genericnick posted:

Who acknowledges that?
Plenty of people, e.g.:
https://streets.mn/2012/04/23/the-magic-of-streetcars-the-logic-of-buses/
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/13/17570156/us-streetcar-trend-public-transportation

Developers love streetcars because they are more permanent and admittedly look cool. Unlike buses, they can't change routes.

quote:

Maybe in the US where it costs a billion per meter, but rails+overhead cables is a pretty strong combo for efficient transport.

Buses can and commonly are run with overhead cables as well. That's not a specific advantage of streetcars. I really struggle to see the value prop of small streetcars versus buses, given that they carry similar numbers of people and buses are far cheaper. Bigger Euro-style trams can make a lot of sense, but you're pretty much talking about light rail at that point.

This discussion also got kicked off from talking about minibuses. Streetcars make even less sense for that niche of low-capacity, high-coverage transit.

Seattle has had overhead-wire power for buses on many routes for years now (this is often called a trolleybus), and the buses can connect and disconnect easily to go on portions of routes without them. There's nothing special about steel vs. rubber wheels that makes it easier to use overhead wires.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 20:18 on May 18, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
buses ftmfw

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
I'm moving away from the light rail line but the new place is a block from a dedicated busway. epic win

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm moving away from the light rail line but the new place is a block from a dedicated busway. epic win
I used that (or a?) dedicated busway the last time I was in Pittsburgh. Worked really good. It doesn't have the capacity of rail but still knocks the poo poo out of at-grade transit.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

cat botherer posted:

I used that (or a?) dedicated busway the last time I was in Pittsburgh. Worked really good. It doesn't have the capacity of rail but still knocks the poo poo out of at-grade transit.

There are nice busways on the west and on the east of the city, and they were both built on old tram rights of way. lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cat botherer posted:

Plenty of people, e.g.:
https://streets.mn/2012/04/23/the-magic-of-streetcars-the-logic-of-buses/
https://www.vox.com/2018/7/13/17570156/us-streetcar-trend-public-transportation

Bigger Euro-style trams can make a lot of sense, but you're pretty much talking about light rail at that point.

Wait, what. Streetcars aren't just trams? America (derogatory)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Houston light rail is cool and good.

Houston buses suck rear end because the roads are poo poo, so the ride is jarring. Plus the bus sounds like it's rattling apart. The rattling is far louder than the sound of the diesel engine. I have no idea why Houston buses are such poo poo. I don't think I've encountered the rattling apart problem on other cities' buses.

edit: there is a big difference between a street car on rails that shares the road with car traffic and a light rail in separate right of way.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

genericnick posted:

Wait, what. Streetcars aren't just trams? America (derogatory)
AFAIK they're synonyms in the US, but I've only ever heard them called "trams" in Europe. US streetcars are tiny compared to a lot of ones over there, which are closer to the size of light rail - and are a lot more likely to have more dedicated right-of-way or even transition into more total grade separation. Most of our streetcars are just bus-sized and go incredibly slow because they constantly have to mix with a ton of traffic. The ones in Seattle (the last time I checked) don't even have signal preemption.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 20:35 on May 18, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Houston light rail is cool and good.

Houston buses suck rear end because the roads are poo poo, so the ride is jarring. Plus the bus sounds like it's rattling apart. The rattling is far louder than the sound of the diesel engine. I have no idea why Houston buses are such poo poo. I don't think I've encountered the rattling apart problem on other cities' buses.

edit: there is a big difference between a street car on rails that shares the road with car traffic and a light rail in separate right of way.

I actually spent my bus ride yesterday pondering how loud the rattling on buses is. This was on a pretty decent street too. There are just so many metal parts on the inside.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Seattle has both at-grade street cars without signal preemption AND at-grade light rail without signal preemption. it’s amazing how consistent this city is with taking the absolute worst middle ground solution to every problem

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Streetcars are mostly North American and have sexy names like Desire, Destiny and Faith. Trams prefer to stay anonymous and mysteriously European.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

It's a lot blurrier than that. As has been said, light rail can sometimes be at-grade and have to deal with traffic lights and turning cars, and sometimes trams can have their own dedicated ROW over portions.

e.g.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadtbahn

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

reminds me of when the expo line first opened, shuttled thousands of people up and down the 10 corridor, and still had to stop at lights on the way to let a handful of cars pass. they fixed it but it was pretty funny for a while

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mr. Sharps posted:

Seattle has both at-grade street cars without signal preemption AND at-grade light rail without signal preemption. it’s amazing how consistent this city is with taking the absolute worst middle ground solution to every problem

rapid ride buses preempt signals all the time. it's automatic at the intersection near my house and often results in waiting a long time to cross as a pedestrian.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

lol every day

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Mr. Sharps posted:

Or the time back in the 70s when Seattle voters were offered federal matching funds to build a heavy-rail subway system, and turned it down, only to eventually build the loving bus tunnel and claim it’s a subway. And then the light rail shared the tunnel with the buses until recently, and buddy, you better believe that caused a lot of delays.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 21:32 on May 18, 2023

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Mr. Sharps posted:

Seattle has a really cool mass transit tunnel that can accommodate both busses and light rail at the same time, though!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Hubbert posted:

Seattle has a really cool mass transit tunnel that can accommodate both busses and light rail at the same time, though!
That's certainly one way of describing it!

Mercifully, and uncharacteristically pragmatic for Seattle, it now only has trains.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If Seattle had tried to build a proper subway it presumably would have cost $500 trillion and taken a thousand years to build

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

But they would have started in the 70s so they'd have even more cool abandoned tunnels by now

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Now that the UK has enacted stronger penalties for blocking roads in protest, I think they ought to just intentionally crash a lorry to block up traffic. Only grumbles when a car does it, but seething rage if people dare impede you.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cat botherer posted:

It's a lot blurrier than that. As has been said, light rail can sometimes be at-grade and have to deal with traffic lights and turning cars, and sometimes trams can have their own dedicated ROW over portions.

e.g.

Admittedly, American streetcars specially usually are at grade, slow moving, and have limited capacity. I would just label European trams as usually just a better done version of light rail.

Also, the new Crenshaw line in LA also requires riders to enter and exit an entirely different station to get to the EXPO line.

———-

As for the minibuses, I would actually be relatively fine with them using lithium if only the efficiency you are getting out of it is something better than a Tesla. It is going at low speeds, and it doesn’t seem to require that much new infrastructure. It is designed as well to complement an existing integrated system.

Seattle is also just weird in that it is a compact city that would obviously benefit from mass transit but obviously it just isn’t allow to happen.

I think the morale of the story is minibuses seem fine and make sense in China and if any money is spent in the US it probably should be so people can have basic bus service at this point.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Ardennes posted:

I think the morale of the story is minibuses seem fine and make sense in China and if any money is spent in the US it probably should be so people can have basic bus service at this point.
Yeah I'm thinking of the slow automated minibuses as coming in at a more a la-la fantasyland scenario where we're taking real efforts to solve the biosphere collapse, where highly localized automated transit could get rid of almost all of the remaining use cases for personal cars, in concert with really good commuter rail and regular buses and poo poo.

For most people, bikes or just walking would probably be ideal to fill in the gaps of a rail/bus system. However, that's not going to work in some situations, and then there's stuff like outlying rural areas that don't have the demand to justify high capital-investment transit, or even just paying a bus driver. You really need 24/7 high-availability transit if you want to banish cars to the land of wind and dust. Self-driving minibuses and that kind of thing could really work there.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

silicone thrills posted:

Gonna be honest, im super shocked people dont get run down at the airport more often. People are more pissed in airport pickup/drop off traffic than i've ever seen anywhere

https://twitter.com/astoneabcnews/status/1658948376954826752?s=20

Airports are heavily policed and there are witnesses and cameras everywhere. You can bully and hurt people all you want in the streets but airports are still serious business because of the terrorism angle. When there's a lot of traffic, there's also people in uniforms directing traffic and telling people to keep it moving.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some comedian on Just For Laughs once accurately described Montreal's 'subway' system, which has tires but is otherwise joined to an electrified third rail and has elevated platforms and multiple doors and all the other stuff of a subway: "That's not a subway. That's a bus in a cave."

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Mister Speaker posted:

Some comedian on Just For Laughs once accurately described Montreal's 'subway' system, which has tires but is otherwise joined to an electrified third rail and has elevated platforms and multiple doors and all the other stuff of a subway: "That's not a subway. That's a bus in a cave."

born on a mountain commute in a cave...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

cat botherer posted:

Yeah I'm thinking of the slow automated minibuses as coming in at a more a la-la fantasyland scenario where we're taking real efforts to solve the biosphere collapse, where highly localized automated transit could get rid of almost all of the remaining use cases for personal cars, in concert with really good commuter rail and regular buses and poo poo.

For most people, bikes or just walking would probably be ideal to fill in the gaps of a rail/bus system. However, that's not going to work in some situations, and then there's stuff like outlying rural areas that don't have the demand to justify high capital-investment transit, or even just paying a bus driver. You really need 24/7 high-availability transit if you want to banish cars to the land of wind and dust. Self-driving minibuses and that kind of thing could really work there.

I think your analysis of these buses is really spot on and is a good answer to that last mile problem that I haven't really seen before.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

seeing these posts daily now on r/australia lol

quote:

I remember hearing stories from the Australian/American army exercises held in NT in the 90s. The Yanks had just started using the HMMVV (Hummer) as their main army vehicle. They were flying Hercules cargo planes over from their US bases full of tyres because the Hummers were so wide they couldn't drive in the wheel ruts on our outback roads, so the sidewalls of their tyres were being shredded by spinifex, rocks, etc.

So there's the lesson people - if you don't want America to install "Freedom" in your country, have narrow roads.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is good to know that Mexico City has a "cave bus system" that moves 4.5 million people a day.

Weka posted:

I think your analysis of these buses is really spot on and is a good answer to that last mile problem that I haven't really seen before.

It is one of the ways I think autonomous vehicles actually do make some sense, especially if you can have frequent local service. The higher on the food chain and the more mix traffic you have, I think the worse it is going to get.

I think people went a little too far of thinking buses are necessarily inferior to rail when honestly, they can easily complement each other. It is just that ripping out its streetcar systems for infrequent bus service was clearly a mistake (San Francisco/Philadelphia actually were able to figure it out). In the case of China, you already have, for the most part, high quality heavy rail service, so it is less of an issue.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 05:27 on May 19, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

cat botherer posted:

e.g.

Wtf, S-bahn is clearly supposed to be a right proper train. Which reminds me that the Copenhagen S-bahn is going driverless in 2029. Pretty cool, especially if they decide to just run the rush hour schedule 24/7.

Also we had some cool protests last week where lorry drivers blocked the highway exits or, because they weren't allowed to, just drove obnoxiously slow to block traffic. It was quite half hearted because of the illegality, but showed very well how fragile car dependent infrastructure is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BonHair posted:

Wtf, S-bahn is clearly supposed to be a right proper train. Which reminds me that the Copenhagen S-bahn is going driverless in 2029. Pretty cool, especially if they decide to just run the rush hour schedule 24/7.

Also we had some cool protests last week where lorry drivers blocked the highway exits or, because they weren't allowed to, just drove obnoxiously slow to block traffic. It was quite half hearted because of the illegality, but showed very well how fragile car dependent infrastructure is.

S-bahns are actually a different mode (there is a schell between the stadt and bahn), and yeah are heavy rail, while stadtbahns are more tram like. But yeah S-bahn/RER systems are pretty useful and it is a shame that the US resists electrification and EMUs. Just think if you took a city like LA which has diesel commuter trains and just made an electrified s-bahn system out of it, it would completely change regional transportation in the city.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 06:45 on May 19, 2023