Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Animal Kingdom looks so loving awesome. It really is more about the theming and the vibe than about the rides. You can have a ton of fun just chilling with a Dole Whip watching the monkeys hangout in their habitat. If possible, check it out at night. It's so cool, especially Avatarland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, it does now also have some of the best rides in WDW.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/mickey_central/status/1658308827807199234?s=46&t=zT_I03vxpg3zsfxl4cf83A

Didn't even really get in the park yet. One of the more impressive family meltdowns.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/mickey_central/status/1658308827807199234?s=46&t=zT_I03vxpg3zsfxl4cf83A

Didn't even really get in the park yet. One of the more impressive family meltdowns.

You Are Not The First To Fight At Disney World This Way. Nor Shall You Be The Last.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Looks like pale yellow shirt/black shorts guy is the one everyone's targeting. Everyone else has matching shirts except for him. Wonder if he's even part of that group or if he's some jackass who started harassing people.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Hazo posted:

Looks like pale yellow shirt/black shorts guy is the one everyone's targeting. Everyone else has matching shirts except for him. Wonder if he's even part of that group or if he's some jackass who started harassing people.

I noticed that, too. He definitely doesn't seem like he's part of their group. I'd be interested to hear the story there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Apparently there were two groups in front of the 100th Anniversary sign. One group wanted to take a picture of it, but the other group was kind of crowding it while doing the same. Someone from the first group asked someone from the second group if they could move and got punched for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Waiting for people to move before you can take your picture is a core part of the Disney experience though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Booked a 4 night on magic from ft Lauderdale for 9/30/24 to hit up lighthouse point (and hopefully an opened Mai Kai before getting on the boat). Surprisingly cheap for a veranda room.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/ScottGustin/status/1659276676889473050?s=20

lmao

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Not a :lol: big enough in the world for this

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's crazy they're just going to pull the plug on it. Wonder what they're going to do with it all.

Star Wars DVC rooms!

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

couldcareless posted:

Booked a 4 night on magic from ft Lauderdale for 9/30/24 to hit up lighthouse point (and hopefully an opened Mai Kai before getting on the boat). Surprisingly cheap for a veranda room.

I'm jealous. I can't wait to check out Lighthouse Point. I was surprised that it wasn't an island of their own this time, just a port that is exclusively theirs on an already developed island. Princess Cruise lines has a private beach/resort area on the opposite side of the point, too, that I've heard is really nice.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

lol, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Now it makes sense why they were discounting so heavily and inviting influencers to board it again.

Can't wait for the eventual Bantha Crossings Villas by DVC.

EDIT/UPDATE: Oh drat, Disney is also canceling the Lake Nona campus. Can't wait to watch governor fuckhead mental-gymnastics his way through explaining why not having another $1 billion investment in the state is actually good. gently caress those jobs, right?

Doronin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 18, 2023

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Almost makes me regret not going last year, but going to Disney at all last year was a mistake considering the hell that the covid I got there put me through even with all the boosters and vaccine shots.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Not surprised at all. The experience looked incredibly underwhelming, to say the least. I’d much rather pay for a deluxe room and park passes for two days than do the starcruiser. And that doesn’t even consider that the cost of starcruiser is way, way more than even that!

Before it was released, I was excited but skeptical it could live up to the hype.

It will be interesting if they just turn it into a new resort or DVC property. It honestly would probably be successful if they set it up that way. Maybe even keep some of the activities and charge extra for them or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

skipdogg posted:

That's crazy they're just going to pull the plug on it. Wonder what they're going to do with it all.

Star Wars DVC rooms!

Yeah and it’s too far to turn into part of GE, since you have to be bussed.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I cannot imagine paying DVC prices for those rooms

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

A friend of mine was saving up to take his young son on the trip, he's the sort of person who would have loved this. He's going to be bummed. Maybe this moves up his timeline.

Maybe they'll just dial it back and open it for a month or two a couple times a year. Obviously it's not busy enough to run year round, but I think there's enough people that would save up and pay if they did it a couple times a year for a few weeks.

alg posted:

You don't want to pay Bungalow or Grand Villa point costs to stay in one of those rooms?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah and it’s too far to turn into part of GE, since you have to be bussed.

True. There's enough distance in between Starcruise and GE that you could actually fit the entirety of the current GE in between. And the DHS parking lot partially separates them.

alg posted:

You wouldn't pay $200+ per point with a 125-point minimum purchase for an 11-month booking window to a windowless interior room? Shameful.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

How about charge people 40 bucks and let them role play Star Wars in there with guns and battles and poo poo

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I have to think scaling back is the future of the facilities and tech; 1 or even half day "cruises" that give you some sort of adventure in some sort of smaller time frame. You can shut down a lot of the guest rooms, since people won't be sleeping there. You can scale back food for the same reason, pushing people to get their food "planetside." Staffing logistics become a little easier (and therefore, cheaper) when you don't need to make sure your face characters remember people over multiple days. As always, it's hard to price, but, like...they're charging $200 a person for a 3 hour tour at Animal Kingdom, and that's apparently popular enough to send lots of groups out every day.

At the current price, I'm obviously not surprised it didn't work out, but I really hope the takeaway isn't to abandon the idea of longer form immersive entertainment. It's such a new and different thing, and reviews were pretty positive about the core experience; I really wanted this to at least do well enough for other companies to try their hand at similar concepts but with maybe a corner or two shaved (and without the Disney tax) to bring the price down to "not stupid" levels.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 18, 2023

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
It made it a whole 1.71 superstar limos!

It’s too bad. It was apparently the highest ranked experience in guest satisfaction at WDW, ever. You just had to actually be able to do it and it blew you away.

Just sounds like it wasn’t sustainable at the prices they needed to charge.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

At the current price, I'm obviously not surprised it didn't work out, but I really hope the takeaway isn't to abandon the idea of longer form immersive entertainment. It's such a new and different thing, and reviews were pretty positive about the core experience; I really wanted this to at least do well enough for other companies to try their hand at similar concepts but with maybe a corner or two shaved (and without the Disney tax) to bring the price down to "not stupid" levels.

The problem is that long form immersive entertainment requires the immersive environments, performers, food, etc. You can't do that without it being expensive as hell. I would much rather that money go to staffing the parks with character actors and shows like Galaxy's Edge was initially advertised as being.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Doronin posted:

EDIT/UPDATE: Oh drat, Disney is also canceling the Lake Nona campus. Can't wait to watch governor fuckhead mental-gymnastics his way through explaining why not having another $1 billion investment in the state is actually good. gently caress those jobs, right?

The comments from local political leaders in this article are just lol https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2023/05/18/disney-canceling-1b-campus-project-for-orlandos-lake-nona-heres-why/

quote:

Governor Ron DeSantis is a job killing moron who cares more about his own political ambitions and culture wars than Florida and our future. According to him, ‘woke makes you go broke’ but this is another example of how it’s actually the complete opposite. DeSantis is not who you want for President — ever.

Rep. Anna Eskamani, D-District 42

quote:

It is unfortunate that Disney will not be moving forward with construction of the Lake Nona campus. However, these are the consequences when there isn’t an inclusive and collaborative work environment between the state of Florida and the business community. We will continue to work closely with our valued partners at Disney.

Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings

quote:

I am disappointed about this decision. At a time when our residents face high living costs and other financial challenges, the Disney project would have brought many high paying jobs to our community.

Orange County Comptroller Phil Diamond

quote:

Florida just lost 2,000 jobs and millions in additional revenue because of Ron DeSantis’ unhinged personal vendetta against Disney. DeSantis has single-handedly and decidedly made Florida an anti-business state, not only with his continued attacks on companies that dare challenge his fascist policies, but also by forcing draconian laws that will decimate the workforce of the backbone industries of our state’s economy. Unfortunately, today’s news isn’t a shock for those of us who have been living through his reign of terror, and Floridians are already paying a high price.

Florida Democratic Party Chair Nikki Fried

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Florida: Governor Ron DeSantis is a moron

Wait wrong thread

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Boxman posted:

I have to think scaling back is the future of the facilities and tech; 1 or even half day "cruises" that give you some sort of adventure in some sort of smaller time frame. You can shut down a lot of the guest rooms, since people won't be sleeping there. You can scale back food for the same reason, pushing people to get their food "planetside." Staffing logistics become a little easier (and therefore, cheaper) when you don't need to make sure your face characters remember people over multiple days. As always, it's hard to price, but, like...they're charging $200 a person for a 3 hour tour at Animal Kingdom, and that's apparently popular enough to send lots of groups out every day.

I've never needed to see financials on something more in my life than on the operations for Starcruiser. It has to be losing an absolute poo poo ton of money for them to kill it this fast. I don't know what you do with that huge building though. It's outside of HS and galaxy's edge and as far as I know, it's not connected in any way, so it's not like you can just have guests get there from galaxy's edge. I don't even think you could repurpose it as a light themed hotel since it only has 100 cabins.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

I'm legit upset about this as I'm in the process of saving because I really wanted to do this experience.

Not getting a chance to do this will definitely go down as one of my biggest regrets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cais posted:

It made it a whole 1.71 superstar limos!

It’s too bad. It was apparently the highest ranked experience in guest satisfaction at WDW, ever. You just had to actually be able to do it and it blew you away.

Just sounds like it wasn’t sustainable at the prices they needed to charge.
Yeah it's pretty drat great as an actual experience. They completely hosed up with the marketing though. At Celebration London they were handing out advertising cards with a QR code to "learn more" and if you scanned it while in the UK you got redirected to the 2020-vintage "coming soon!" site with no information about how to book. There was literally no way to book without finding yourself a VPN or a travel agent and both options required a 30 minute+ international phonecall.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Still isn’t.

In fact you still can’t even book Savi’s or droid depot from outside NA.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Just make it into a regular resort hotel except with ambient spaceship sounds and starfield screens instead of windows so you feel like you're staying on a starcruiser without needing to run around trying to 100% a LARP story. Keep the restaurants and lounges and "shuttle" to Galaxy's Edge. gently caress. That's all I wanted it to be in the first place.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's way too small to be a resort hotel, and the rooms are pretty cramped. Plus as lots of the influencers whined, there's no pool. Large chunks of the building are dedicated to show experience stuff and it'd be hard to control access to that for a hotel the way it's laid out.

Aphrodite posted:

Still isn’t.

In fact you still can’t even book Savi’s or droid depot from outside NA.
You can book one of the two but I can't remember which. Droid Depot, possibly. It's a hassle though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't think the demand is there for Droid Depot to require a reservation. I bet you could stop by the shop same day and get a time slot for later, if not immediately.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Arquinsiel posted:

It's way too small to be a resort hotel, and the rooms are pretty cramped. Plus as lots of the influencers whined, there's no pool. Large chunks of the building are dedicated to show experience stuff and it'd be hard to control access to that for a hotel the way it's laid out.

Make it cheap then :colbert: I don't care, I'd pay Pop Century prices to believe I'm sleeping on a spaceship in between flying down planetside to go to Disney

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

couldcareless posted:

I'm legit upset about this as I'm in the process of saving because I really wanted to do this experience.

Not getting a chance to do this will definitely go down as one of my biggest regrets.

What a blessed life you live

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't think the demand is there for Droid Depot to require a reservation. I bet you could stop by the shop same day and get a time slot for later, if not immediately.

You can, but it takes them anyway.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hazo posted:

Make it cheap then :colbert: I don't care, I'd pay Pop Century prices to believe I'm sleeping on a spaceship in between flying down planetside to go to Disney
If I could stay there for Pop Century prices I'd do it no problem. The vibe of the place is great. Hopefully they'll drop the ambient music on Spotify soon, it'd be a shame for that never to get a release.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah just make it a normal hotel. I'm gonna say most normal people booking a Star Wars hotel and knowing what they're getting will not care about no pool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

Just make it into a regular resort hotel except with ambient spaceship sounds and starfield screens instead of windows so you feel like you're staying on a starcruiser without needing to run around trying to 100% a LARP story. Keep the restaurants and lounges and "shuttle" to Galaxy's Edge. gently caress. That's all I wanted it to be in the first place.

Empty quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Operating it as a normal hotel lets you still occasionally do the whole bit as a limited engagement every once in a while too.

Sell an exclusive pin or ears or something during it and baby you got a stew going.