Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I don't think there's any way of doing rules or an age cap without a constitutional amendment, in any case. The Constitution specifies the qualifications for a Senator, which don't include a maximum age. There's essentially only one way of getting rid of a sitting Senate or House member outside of elections, and that's by a two-thirds vote of the respective chamber. And even then it's typically not done except in pretty extreme cases--only 15 Senators have ever been expelled, 14 of them for supporting the Confederacy during the Civil War and the other a treason case on the 1790s.

I bet setting an age limit would only need standard legislation, age isn't a protected suspect class.

That's legislation that will never, ever be passed, let alone proposed, but I don't think an amendment would be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Fox news viewers.

He said other than old people.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

zoux posted:

I presume there's a point at which the material costs of conservative governance will change voters' minds but then again we lost power and water statewide for a whole week in the winter as a direct result of Republican philosophies on market regulation and that didn't seem to move any votes.

Ask yourself this. What do you think is more important to these people? Having reliable utilities? Or hurting trans people and minorities? Search your heart for the answer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Judgy Fucker posted:

I bet setting an age limit would only need standard legislation, age isn't a protected suspect class.

That's legislation that will never, ever be passed, let alone proposed, but I don't think an amendment would be necessary.

Article 1 sets out the requirements to be elected U.S. Senator and the 14th and 17th amendments bind the states on the selection of Senators. You would need a constitutional amendment to change the qualifications. It's the same principle that has banned term limits and other restrictions from federal office without an amendment.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Judgy Fucker posted:

Powell v. McCormack:

quote:

In judging the qualifications of its members under Art. I, § 5, Congress is limited to the standing qualifications expressly prescribed by the Constitution.

U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton:

quote:

The power granted to each House of Congress to judge the "Qualifications of its own Members," Art. I, § 5, cl. 1, does not include the power to alter or add to the qualifications set forth in the Constitution's text. Powell v. McCormack, 395 U. S. 486, 540. After examining Powell's analysis of the Qualifications Clauses' history and text, id., at 518-548, and its articulation of the "basic principles of our democratic system," id., at 548, this Court reaffirms that the constitutional qualifications for congressional service are "fixed," at least in the sense that they may not be supplemented by Congress. Pp. 787-798.

So too, the Constitution prohibits States from imposing congressional qualifications additional to those specifically enumerated in its text. 

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 18, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ron DeSantis already has a video recorded for campaign announcement and the NYT has released a partial transcript of his call with supporters and donors today.

He is going to push the idea that only two people can possibly be President in 2025 - Joe Biden and himself. So, they need to rally around him. He's also going to try and aregue that he has gotten things done and Trump is just flashier and less effective.

quote:

Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida all but declared his presidential candidacy on Thursday afternoon, telling donors and supporters on a call that only three “credible” candidates were in the race and that only he would be able to win both the Republican primary and the general election.

“You have basically three people at this point that are credible in this whole thing,” Mr. DeSantis told donors on the Thursday afternoon call, organized by the super PAC supporting him, Never Back Down. “Biden, Trump and me. And I think of those three, two have a chance to get elected president — Biden and me, based on all the data in the swing states, which is not great for the former president and probably insurmountable because people aren’t going to change their view of him.”

quote:

We’ve got to win this time.” And while he praised Mr. Trump’s policies, he said that Mr. Biden had undone many of them.

“The corporate media wants Trump to be the nominee,” Mr. DeSantis said, adding that journalists, other candidates and “two presidents” had trained their sights on the Florida governor for criticism.

Mr. DeSantis quoted a voter he had talked with at an event in Iowa as saying, “You know, Trump was somebody, we liked his policies but we didn’t like his values. And with you, we like your policies but also know that you share our values.”

And Mr. DeSantis described his efforts to help the party, noting that Mr. Trump and other Republicans had repeatedly attacked him. “There are some that kind of raise money just for themselves,” he said, an unmistakable jab at Mr. Trump, who was criticized during the midterm elections for sitting on a large pile of cash in his political action committee and not doing enough to help others.

He also boasted of his successful visit to Des Moines over the weekend after Mr. Trump canceled his own rally in the area, citing a tornado watch.

Mr. DeSantis talked with pride about the Florida legislative session and the state’s budget, walking through a list of items that he was happy to have accomplished on environmental issues and education. He described a “great body of work” and said he would not “cede any issues to the left.”

“When we say we’re going to do something, we do it, and get it done,” Mr. DeSantis said of his approach in the state, an indirect contrast with Mr. Trump, whom some Republicans have criticized for unfinished work when he was president.

He also talked about the release of his book and his book tour, including that the book had been on the New York Times best-seller list for several weeks. He described himself as selling “hundreds of thousands” of books out of the gate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/us/politics/desantis-2024-presidential-bid.html

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I stand corrected. You learning something new every day!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

According the NYT story even Schumer & Newsom have tried reasoning with Feinstein to step down, but she's rebuffed them, and so Schumer got her to D.C. to vote on the judges, but the story says that even her aides are now admitting she's not up to the job, even with a reduced schedule to accommodate her.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Willa Rogers posted:

According the NYT story even Schumer & Newsom have tried reasoning with Feinstein to step down, but she's rebuffed them, and so Schumer got her to D.C. to vote on the judges, but the story says that even her aides are now admitting she's not up to the job, even with a reduced schedule to accommodate her.

I'm sure Weekend at Bernie's sounds like a lark in theory but the grim reality of wheeling around a poorly -embalmed mummy all day starts to get old pretty quickly

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I mean, the optics of Feinstein's return have been brutal, as have been the mainstream media stories pointing out her inability to perform her job.

But the problem of dealing with someone with the sort of memory loss that Feinstein has shown is the inability to force her to acknowledge that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Marjorie Taylor Greene announces articles of impeachment against Biden.

quote:

"Joe Biden has deliberately compromised our national security by refusing to enforce immigration laws and secure our border, allowed approximately 6 million illegals from over 160 countries to invade our country, deprived border patrol of the necessary resources and policies sufficient to protect our country, and his administration has willfully refused to maintain operational control as required by law," Greene said in a statement.

The first of the three articles of impeachment alleged that Biden's actions have led to an increase in "illegal aliens and illegal narcotics, including deadly fentanyl, entering the United States." It also claimed that his administration has "willfully violated" the law "by releasing illegal aliens into the interior of the United States."

Unsurprising - both in the reason behind it, and who's calling for it. Probably won't go anywhere, I'd bet this is mostly a stunt attempting to trip up Biden during election season.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

There were California pols trying to get her to step down in 2012 and Senate Dems were gently trying to get her to not run for re-election in 2018. It's been a thing for a while, but she doesn't want to go. She seems like she's deteriorated a lot since 2018, so I doubt she is going to be more willing. She's said many times that she thinks being forced out mid-term would stain her record and would be perceived as hurting her legacy. I'd argue this is hurting her legacy more, but she thinks being perceived as being pushed out for being too infirm would be more humiliating.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The CA Dem party had (has?) such a high threshold for non-incumbent endorsements (60 percent of delegates to the state convention, iirc) that de Leon didn't have a prayer of meeting it, even though he had a lot of grassroots support at the time.

(And given his subsequent scandals from serving on the L.A. City Council he prolly wasn't the best option, either.)

The state's Dem party apparatus, as with most state Dem parties, is run by fossils & establishment Dems (but I repeat myself) & younger wannabes who are only too happy to go along to get along.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Unsurprising - both in the reason behind it, and who's calling for it. Probably won't go anywhere, I'd bet this is mostly a stunt attempting to trip up Biden during election season.

If that's the case, aren't they throwing this out there way too early? It's one thing for a pointless and specious impeachment attempt to hit in the late summer or fall of 2024, but throwing it out there 18 months in advance just insures that it will be forgotten by the time anyone heads to the polls next year.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Class3KillStorm posted:

If that's the case, aren't they throwing this out there way too early? It's one thing for a pointless and specious impeachment attempt to hit in the late summer or fall of 2024, but throwing it out there 18 months in advance just insures that it will be forgotten by the time anyone heads to the polls next year.

Or they're throwing one out now, and then another one next year so the GOP can claim that Biden has had members of the House try to impeach him twice, same as Trump!

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Class3KillStorm posted:

They are raising money on it. Gaurentee a fundraising email went out 10 minutes afterwards and said

IT'S TIME TO IMPEACH BIDEN
Donate here

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is there anything stopping MTG from just changing the date on it and submitting it over and over again? See also "We're introducing bills to repeal Obamacare" however many times it was

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Wait, I looked up the CA state Dem party endorsements in 2018 & found this:

quote:

As he sought to wrest the California Democratic Party’s endorsement away from longtime Sen. Dianne Feinstein, her upstart challenger, Kevin de León, made an impassioned argument to state delegates Saturday that the time had come for a new generation of leadership in the Senate.

While he was not able to earn their endorsement outright, he did secure enough votes (54%) to prevent one for Feinstein, who received just 37 percent of the delegates’ votes.

De León got a far warmer welcome than his opponent on the convention floor. But he had to receive 60 percent of the delegate votes to get the Democratic endorsement, a threshold he did not meet.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/25/politics/2018-california-dem-party-convention/index.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zamujasa posted:

Is there anything stopping MTG from just changing the date on it and submitting it over and over again? See also "We're introducing bills to repeal Obamacare" however many times it was

I would guess that you're not allowed to submit the exact same bill more than once, certainly not until the first one completes the process and gets its vote. But either way, McCarthy is not required to give it that vote, so it won't even be too disruptive to anything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rudy Giuliani now has one more lawsuit to deal with- the guy who patted him on the back and spent a night in jail facing a felony assault charge in June 2022 is suing him for defamation.

quote:

The lawsuit alleges that Giuliani dramatized his account of what happened. He said he felt like “somebody shot me,” that the slap had caused him to stumble forward, and that he had pain and “a big lump on the back.”

None of the claims were substantiated by medical documents, according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also alleges that Giuliani conspired with Staten Island police officers, which the former mayor himself confirmed publicly.

“‘Some guy in the DA's office was trying to lower the charges,’” he is quoted in the lawsuit as saying. “‘And the cops said no, this is a 78-year-old guy, this is assault two, no assault three. This guy is going in!’”

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks that making republicans go on the record to impeach Biden might actually not work out the way MTG thinks it will? You are making them basically say if they are for or against the hyper nut wing of the GOP.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

ryde posted:

I'm still astounded that the party that makes a big deal about lapel flag pins can also fling accusations of virtue signaling without collapsing into some sort of cognitive dissonance black hole.

The left’s own performative black hole creates a weirdly stable binary system whose event horizon allows no good-faith action to escape.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's just "our patriotic displays" vs "their cowardly virtue signaling"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

cr0y posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that making republicans go on the record to impeach Biden might actually not work out the way MTG thinks it will? You are making them basically say if they are for or against the hyper nut wing of the GOP.

That ship sailed a long time ago, but there's no percentage for McCarthy in filing an impeachment, all the air goes of out of the House investigations and the Senate will not care, far better to just do the normal thing and hold endless hearings on whatever mini-scandal Murdoch is willing to boost.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
to crash the two topics together i'm wondering why mtg isn't going after feinstein. i know f-stop promised not to run again but it'd be something to pound on where she has a point and could pivot to "now lets do biden"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

InsertPotPun posted:

to crash the two topics together i'm wondering why mtg isn't going after feinstein. i know f-stop promised not to run again but it'd be something to pound on where she has a point and could pivot to "now lets do biden"

As a house member I don't think she has any power to do so

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tarezax posted:

As a house member I don't think she has any power to do so

Correct. You can’t impeach senators and only the senate can expel them

It would also be a strategic error because if Feinstein did disappear today she’d just be replaced with a more healthy and compos mentis Dem. Leaving her in gums up the works just that much more

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

ESPN is backing out of its cable television exclusivity and planning to sell itself directly to consumers via streaming. They also argue that cable TV is dying and that staying exclusively on cable is a non-option in the long run, so they need to prepare an alternative business model.

This is the first major blow against cable TV bundling and going to cause major damage to the cable TV model. Sports and ESPN bundling was often one of the major reasons to keep a cable TV subscription because you couldn't get local games or the various ESPN channels live through other mediums.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1659186443229560832

some what related to this, isnt AM radio antennas for cars also under threat?

ironically heard about this on fm npr radio. oh and of course congress is actually coming to the defense of radio. (which imo is half good)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Ron DeSantis already has a video recorded for campaign announcement and the NYT has released a partial transcript of his call with supporters and donors today.

He is going to push the idea that only two people can possibly be President in 2025 - Joe Biden and himself. So, they need to rally around him. He's also going to try and aregue that he has gotten things done and Trump is just flashier and less effective.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/18/us/politics/desantis-2024-presidential-bid.html

Like everything else about this increasingly reluctant campaign, I can imagine this working in a world where Trump wasn't waiting in the wings to call him a poopy head, but not in the actual reality we're currently dealing with.

Honestly I'm kind of surprised he's still going through with it. Maybe he promised a bunch of people he would.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Or they're throwing one out now, and then another one next year so the GOP can claim that Biden has had members of the House try to impeach him twice, same as Trump!

Except that Trump actually was impeached, just not removed from office. I guess they are hoping that their audience for said propaganda would just be really ignorant?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

cgeq posted:

How do you even enforce that type of judgement. Like, if you can't legally use the existing list, what stops you from paying some third party to put together a list that just ends up happening to be (almost) the same as the restricted list?

It's not that they can't legally use the list. It's that they can't legally provide the list without being paid at least the market rate for compiling that list. If they "[provide] any goods or services without charge or at a charge that is less than the usual and normal charge for such", it would be considered a campaign contribution - and one of considerable size, since the PAC claims it spent a million bucks making that list.

DeSantis can still have that list if he pays them a million bucks. But the point of having the PAC do it was to fund it with dark money not subject to campaign finance laws. If the campaign has to spend their own money on it, there wasn't really any point in involving the PAC in the first place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yureina posted:

Except that Trump actually was impeached, just not removed from office. I guess they are hoping that their audience for said propaganda would just be really ignorant?

...Have you seen what the GOP has been spewing for the last several years?

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Shooting Blanks posted:

...Have you seen what the GOP has been spewing for the last several years?

Of course. I just wish that said audience would be able to recognize that they were being treated like that and react accordingly.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
ESPN backing out of platform exclusivity is effectively the obituary for tv on the whole. Sports bundling was the last pillar of life support for cable TV, and the whole thing is going to collapse outright eventually. It's an open question what happens to broadcast TV.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Kavros posted:

ESPN backing out of platform exclusivity is effectively the obituary for tv on the whole. Sports bundling was the last pillar of life support for cable TV, and the whole thing is going to collapse outright eventually. It's an open question what happens to broadcast TV.

The loss in revenue from cable is going to have to come from somewhere. And since most cable companies are ISPs as well, that really doesnt bode well for what they plan to do with internet subscriptions. Especially since net neutrality is gone. I can totally see Comcast limiting ESPN streaming to some kind of "Sports plus" internet package that will cost extra on top of your base internet bill. Same thing with streaming services like HBO Now or whatever it's called this week. While I think cable is an archaic useless overpriced thing these days I'm not exactly looking forward to the day that it no longer exists.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Charliegrs posted:

The loss in revenue from cable is going to have to come from somewhere. And since most cable companies are ISPs as well, that really doesnt bode well for what they plan to do with internet subscriptions. Especially since net neutrality is gone. I can totally see Comcast limiting ESPN streaming to some kind of "Sports plus" internet package that will cost extra on top of your base internet bill. Same thing with streaming services like HBO Now or whatever it's called this week. While I think cable is an archaic useless overpriced thing these days I'm not exactly looking forward to the day that it no longer exists.

High speed internet should be a utility at this point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Seriously. Good luck bootstrapping without internet in 2023.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Shooting Blanks posted:

That it isn’t shows how bad regulatory capture really is. I could live without a phone vastly easier than I could live without internet.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cat botherer posted:

That it isn’t shows how bad regulatory capture really is. I could live without a phone vastly easier than I could live without internet.

For many people their phone is the internet, which I think only strengthens the argument that it should be a public utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Judgy Fucker posted:

Just make them do the draw a clock test once a year after a certain age.