Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/the_vello/status/1659213375296139269?t=UC-whjDY4d_FWwDO4QRakw&s=19

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tiny Timbs posted:

Somehow I will never forget how the intro to Hatchet has the dying pilot rip a massive fart before croaking

Fart so hard he had a heart attack?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

McCarthy has flipped and is making with the happy talk too today.

Main development is that it's now in the designated negotiator phase and everyone involved seems to love the negotiator picks. So it's primetime for Fetterman and others to make 14th amendment noises to not only push the deal left, but give an out of Republicans really want some unreasonable poo poo.

I loving hate negotiations, but it really does seem great that Fetterman has recovered significantly.

edit: https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1659243210030436352

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 18, 2023

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

What a way to go!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
For a party that really wants to be working people against elites they really hate Carhartt for some reason.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

McCarthy has flipped and is making with the happy talk too today.

Main development is that it's now in the designated negotiator phase and everyone involved seems to love the negotiator picks. So it's primetime for Fetterman and others to make 14th amendment noises to not only push the deal left, but give an out of Republicans really want some unreasonable poo poo.

I loving hate negotiations, but it really does seem great that Fetterman has recovered significantly.

edit: https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1659243210030436352

I look forward to the day I can vote for this man.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Crab Dad posted:

I look forward to the day I can vote for this man.

And for all of Fetterman's stroke-induced auditory issues and past depression treatment, he's not even close to the sickest Democratic Senator:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1659245303919267840

Ramsay Hunt syndrome (face is busted), encephalitis (brain swelling), and pre-existing memory issues made worse by all of that.

quote:

People close to her joke privately that perhaps when Ms. Feinstein is dead, she will start to consider resigning.

Gonna Strom Thurmond her way out of office, yeesh.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1659181109119184896

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

I hardly think she's gonna have an illegitimate mixed race kid at this point

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

True but you could convince her that she did at this point.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Milo and POTUS posted:

Aside from the racism, segregationism, and Biden-buddyism, Thurmond is just the general political geek's example of a walking corpse in his last Senate years. Dude was absolutely, positively not functioning in the last years.

Which is a strength of the Feinstein-defenders - the Senate has always hid the Senators that simply can't do the job anymore but can still get shuffled around to give a yea/nay.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Prop up, literally.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pictured. Feinstein voting down a federal minimum wage increase to $12.00 /hr. Circa 2027.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Crab Dad posted:

I am scared of this exact scenario. Every. Single. Time.

In other news the Titanic just arrived: https://apnews.com/article/titanic-wreck-3d-digital-scan-382bd3d1b8d18043e703e3bd80f7e118

quote:

Deep-sea researchers have completed the first full-size digital scan of the Titanic, showing the entire wreck in unprecedented detail and clarity, the companies behind a new documentary on the wreck said Thursday.
Geffen says previous images of the Titanic were often limited by low light levels, and only allowed viewers to see one area of the wreck at a time. He said the new photorealistic 3D model captures both the bow and stern section, which had separated upon sinking, in clear detail — including the serial number on the propeller.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

And for all of Fetterman's stroke-induced auditory issues and past depression treatment, he's not even close to the sickest Democratic Senator:

https://twitter.com/anniekarni/status/1659245303919267840

Ramsay Hunt syndrome (face is busted), encephalitis (brain swelling), and pre-existing memory issues made worse by all of that.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1659181109119184896

Straight up committing elder abuse just to put Pelosi's chosen candidate in a better position. The California Democratic political machine is well on its way to becoming as corrupt as Chicago's.

I so resent that the only alternatives to being a Democrat are to be a member of the Christian nationalist neo-fascist party, the compromised tankie party, or the party of dudes who have strong objections to age of consent laws.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Straight up committing elder abuse just to put Pelosi's chosen candidate in a better position. The California Democratic political machine is well on its way to becoming as corrupt as Chicago's.

I so resent that the only alternatives to being a Democrat are to be a member of the Christian nationalist neo-fascist party, the compromised tankie party, or the party of dudes who have strong objections to age of consent laws.

you can always join the dark side and become a Disenfranchised Voter

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

you can always join the dark side and become a Disenfranchised Voter

My dude, I live in Washington DC, and used to live in California and New York. I'm certainly not a Enfranchised Voter now and my vote at the national level has never mattered ever since I registered to vote in 2002.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I don't disagree with anything that's been said wrt to Feinstein remaining in office, but this certainly adds a wrinkle to things. McConnell has also said he won't allow a vote to replace her either.

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/1659208123922653186?s=20

Great system we have here!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s not relevant, imo

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Sucks to be her but she's been a career politician all her life and this is the baggage that comes with that. Better keep that ticker pumping as long as there are federal judges to appoint.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ah yes, we are once again checkmated via the Ginsberg Gambit. Funny how that keeps playing out!

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How does the minority leader get to dictate who's on the committees?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Sucks to be her but she's been a career politician all her life and this is the baggage that comes with that. Better keep that ticker pumping as long as there are federal judges to appoint.

a new artificial heart, the Casemaker

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't disagree with anything that's been said wrt to Feinstein remaining in office, but this certainly adds a wrinkle to things. McConnell has also said he won't allow a vote to replace her either.

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/1659208123922653186?s=20

Isn't it just that Republicans can block a swap but if a seat opens because the Senator is gone, the Democrats can fill it with anyone they want because they are guaranteed x number of seats?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mustang posted:

From what I've read, to change the committees, you have a full Senate vote, which can then be filibustered. That's why Feinstein couldn't be switched out - Republicans wouldn't let her.

Unclear on a quick search what happens when a Senator dies/resigns and how their committee slot is filled. I bet that would need some dumb poo poo like a reorganization measure since they're almost always done by unanimous consent.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

IIRC the vote is up to the members of the Judiciary Committee, with Feinstein gone the vote would be tied, and the VP can't break ties for committee votes. It's spectacularly lovely behavior on behalf of the Republican members of the committee, but frankly what do you expect.

E: or what facialimpediment said, either way it's a lovely situation with no good options that don't involve time travel.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 19, 2023

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

E: or what facialimpediment said, either way it's a lovely situation with no good options that don't involve time travel.

Or looks at RBG’s legacy and steps down well before she went organic and thus allows for a safe replacement outside of an election cycle but there’s that kind of foresight that our entrenched gerontocracy can’t seem to wield without your aforementioned time travel.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC the vote is up to the members of the Judiciary Committee, with Feinstein gone the vote would be tied, and the VP can't break ties for committee votes. It's spectacularly lovely behavior on behalf of the Republican members of the committee, but frankly what do you expect.

Why shouldn’t the republicans do all this poo poo, it clearly works

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Republicans deliver what their voters want.

It’s a shame that they want other people to suffer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mustang posted:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ruff_bluffs/status/1659249762099507201?s=20

Not great!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's sundowning, alright.

War Boi
Nov 1, 2021
We can all look at this and collectively come to the conclusion that she should have retired a while ago.

But that’s also why none of us will ever be a Senator.

Those people are a separate loving breed of human. Statewide elected officials with an immense amount of power at the federal level.

The types of people who become Senators have a drive and a desire for power and status that is positively clinically insane.

We got some weird states, and a total of 100 senators. Folks like Sanders, Feterman, Cheney, they’re outliers. Good ones, at that. But I digress.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

War Boi posted:

We can all look at this and collectively come to the conclusion that she should have retired a while ago.

Those people are a separate loving breed of human. Statewide elected officials with an immense amount of power at the federal level.

The types of people who become Senators have a drive and a desire for power and status that is positively clinically insane.

We got some weird states, and a total of 100 senators. Folks like Sanders, Feterman, Cheney, they’re outliers. Good ones, at that. But I digress.

Cheney wasn't a senator, and I wouldn't put her as a good one, as she was as red as they come except for calling Trump on one particular brand of his bullshit.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is such a disgrace watching them wheel her corpse around weekend at Bernie’s style

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Sure but the content has been amazing

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Not to be insensitive of elder abuse but she always was an rear end in a top hat anyway. Should've retired years ago but as was said before, her only hobby was MORE POWER. MORE MONEY. MORE INFLUENCE.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

Cheney wasn't a senator, and I wouldn't put her as a good one, as she was as red as they come except for calling Trump on one particular brand of his bullshit.

I wouldn't put her as a "good one" but I would put her as an outlier - someone in Congress who put principle above re-election.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Not great how in some states & districts they trend so far in one direction that elections are meaningless and they become lifetime appointments with zero accountability. Fundamentally the problems go far past Feinstein as it’s absurd a region ultra populous & with a colossal economy has half the senatorial delegation of the dakotas.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Do you want the Golden Throne? Because this is how you get the Golden Throne. Soon enough, they'll have to make daily sacrifices of interns to keep her alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

War Boi posted:

Actually Senators are just people, and being wheeled around by employees while you poo poo yourself at work isn't a particularly rare impulse for someone to have. Generally they're just told no , rather than being puppeteer about.