Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, ocean isn't great. Though I've found that with Tome of Winds I actually don't mind it in terms of allowing swift strategic movement.

Come to think of it, it'd be awesome to have a unit enchantment spell that gave float to all naval units. One of my favorite things to do in older AoW games was cast fly on my ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

one time a free city did something and it captured like 6 ocean tiles and spawned a bunch of sea creatures like krakens and turtles all at the same time, been wondering what that was.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

Babe Magnet posted:

one time a free city did something and it captured like 6 ocean tiles and spawned a bunch of sea creatures like krakens and turtles all at the same time, been wondering what that was.

Sounds like the 6th tier Nature affinity empire upgrade, Wild Expansion, that gives you a unit every time a province is annexed by your cities or vassals, based on the terrain annexed. It's so good.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's a good rear end ability. I love comboing that with barbarians and outpost/work camp spam.

It happened all at once, though, like all 6 tiles at the same time. I suppose it could be NPC cheating and I wasn't supposed to see theme expand that hard instantly or something lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jabarto posted:

I hate free cities for the same reason I hated them in Civ; there are way, way too many of them clogging every map, they mostly exist to drag you into pointless squabbles, and they're integrated into the game mechanics enough that turning them off causes more problems than it solves. Can't wait for the genre to grow out of it.

I like the interaction mechanics, mostly my issue is just that the game is already quite crowded and I don't like working around them.

Would be happier if they were further away from the players.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

We need a map editor and non-randomized maps where you can pre-define the city states and everything. People could probably design some real fun maps to play on, and it will probably be pretty drat fun to just do in and of itself.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I'd be so curious to see how industrious vs mystic plays out, because the anti-resistance defense and sheer amount of combat magic that mystics can output feels like it would demolish industrious units

buuuut arbalests and zephyrs both benefit hugely from seeking arrows and amplified arrows, so they'd definitely be able to do some impressive alpha-striking since afaik you can't raise battlemage range the way you can raise ranged/skirmisher range

and anvil guards being mobile walls is pretty neat, even with just arbs behind them, let alone zephyrs

Industrious armies tend to lose autocomplete battles against high magic armies of all stripes. Magic bypasses a lot of their tankyness and if they take steel armor they’re specifically weak to lightning.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah that's a good rear end ability. I love comboing that with barbarians and outpost/work camp spam.

It happened all at once, though, like all 6 tiles at the same time. I suppose it could be NPC cheating and I wasn't supposed to see theme expand that hard instantly or something lol
Probably spent a truck load of renown to expand immediately?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Story realm 4 is just an ouroboros of elf on elf violence and here I am playing runic orcs softly whispering “me not that kind of orc” as I bludgeon yet another elf stack into paste. When will I be free

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Story realm 4 is just an ouroboros of elf on elf violence and here I am playing runic orcs softly whispering “me not that kind of orc” as I bludgeon yet another elf stack into paste. When will I be free

also too long for thread title

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

victrix posted:

also too long for thread title

"Age of Wonders 4 - just an ouroboros of elf on elf violence"

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
How do you deselect an ability so you can move a unit instead in combat? Escape doesn't work and I end up having to select a different unit and go back to be able to move again.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I just pick their basic attack

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

I just pick their basic attack

Oh. I should have tried that.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Underground of 4 needs a ton of signs that say “No spider elves here.”

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Hryme posted:

How do you deselect an ability so you can move a unit instead in combat? Escape doesn't work and I end up having to select a different unit and go back to be able to move again.

you should be able to left click any blank space and have it deselect the ability

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Hmm true. No idea why I never tried that. I must have some muscle memory from other games or just not being able to experiment.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Only because I have to wait for the expansion(s) before I can make gun orcs :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hryme posted:

Hmm true. No idea why I never tried that. I must have some muscle memory from other games or just not being able to experiment.
Something about the age of wonders series just completely messws me up about remembering which is click and which is cancel.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Jabarto posted:

I hate free cities for the same reason I hated them in Civ; there are way, way too many of them clogging every map, they mostly exist to drag you into pointless squabbles, and they're integrated into the game mechanics enough that turning them off causes more problems than it solves. Can't wait for the genre to grow out of it.

I think it's a lot of paradox's influence on strategy games in general- you gotta have those OPMs to gently caress around with. It's marginally less annoying than when almost every game started implementing interpersonal dynamics after Crusader Kings 2 came out, even when they didn't fit. I think it's what killed At the Gates.

Also, i've found that if you're going to go with damage enchantments on normal units, t1 archers are the way to go- zephyr archers are nice and all, but you get your motor running more smoothly, and they get to the final xp level more quickly than tier 3 archers, which is a free +1 range. High culture has the best t1 archer for this, and if you're optimizing you'll go maximum evil so you can use non-hero stacks and just have everyone always awakened.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Original AoW had lots of non-player/non-faction cities around every map more or less though. Depending on what your race relations was (which would change depending on some actions though you'd also have it preset depending on race) you'd either see a crossed swords or two heads talking icon when hovering over them. If the former you'd fight when you moved onto them, if the latter you could pay to have them join you.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

CommissarMega posted:

Only because I have to wait for the expansion(s) before I can make gun orcs :colbert:

What, you too much of a rich bitch to not value a crossbow? HARRUMPH GOOD SIBLING. HARUMPH I SAY.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
I enjoy the free cities existing a lot. Any problem with them is ultimately more due to the general lack of map space for cities (compounded by AI forward settling) than anything else.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah free cities have been a series staple, it's weird to bring up Paradox in this, especially since the series' real progenitor, Master of Magic, also had free cities (that were always hostile)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah free cities have been a series staple, it's weird to bring up Paradox in this, especially since the series' real progenitor, Master of Magic, also had free cities (that were always hostile)

That's probably fair. I know Paradox is where Civ got its city-states, but here it's a bit different.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Phew! Took me like 108 turns but I finally turned things around on Grexolis. Take that Asster!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Phew! Took me like 108 turns but I finally turned things around on Grexolis. Take that Asster!

That percentile's gone up in the past week. I think it was about 0.4% when I got it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Now that I've beaten the story campaign, I'll be consulting the wiki on what any of that meant.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

exquisite tea posted:

Now that I've beaten the story campaign, I'll be consulting the wiki on what any of that meant.

It will only get you so far. Most of it is new.

The opening of the world vault is the lore pretext for countless new Realms springing into existence. Such as the ones you, the player, make.

Sundren believes that an old enemy of the Archons sealed away in the world vault will be an ally of necessity against the Shadow. Who that is exactly we don’t know yet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

It will only get you so far. Most of it is new.

The opening of the world vault is the lore pretext for countless new Realms springing into existence. Such as the ones you, the player, make.

Sundren believes that an old enemy of the Archons sealed away in the world vault will be an ally of necessity against the Shadow. Who that is exactly we don’t know yet.

This is a game about dimension hopping wizards and the people fighting them, where species form is entirely cosmetic, and where one of the magic trees is all about spying and mental subjugation and an entire submechanic about stealing souls to turn into other units and is literally called shadow magic.

If the vault denizen vs sneaky shadow isn't undead vs shadow demons I swear to god
Gerblyn I will end your run with your current avatar because I'll buy you a cycling gif of crying bugs and skeletons instead.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Any mention of Merlin yet in the plot?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

my dad posted:

Nope (I don't think, though some of the tome quotes are by them IIRC), he'll probably show up, I don't know the lore well enough to say who would be in the vault, but I expect it to be a specific character rather than like a broader group/race like shadow demons. I don't know if Merlin fits in with that though, but it will probably be some previously established character who's in there. Hell given how AoW3 can end with the dreadnought guy and the commonwealth, and that it seems like the second DLC is going to continue the story, it could be one of those guys.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

This is a game about dimension hopping wizards and the people fighting them, where species form is entirely cosmetic, and where one of the magic trees is all about spying and mental subjugation and an entire submechanic about stealing souls to turn into other units and is literally called shadow magic.

If the vault denizen vs sneaky shadow isn't undead vs shadow demons I swear to god
Gerblyn I will end your run with your current avatar because I'll buy you a cycling gif of crying bugs and skeletons instead.

I'm glad we keep threatening Gerblyn's avatar. You get no special treatment here just because your a dev!

my dad posted:

Plot; no. Lore; I think I've seen one.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Panzeh posted:

I think it's a lot of paradox's influence on strategy games in general- you gotta have those OPMs to gently caress around with. It's marginally less annoying than when almost every game started implementing interpersonal dynamics after Crusader Kings 2 came out, even when they didn't fit. I think it's what killed At the Gates.

Also, i've found that if you're going to go with damage enchantments on normal units, t1 archers are the way to go- zephyr archers are nice and all, but you get your motor running more smoothly, and they get to the final xp level more quickly than tier 3 archers, which is a free +1 range. High culture has the best t1 archer for this, and if you're optimizing you'll go maximum evil so you can use non-hero stacks and just have everyone always awakened.

How does being evil help?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randarkman posted:

Nope (I don't think, though some of the tome quotes are by them IIRC), he'll probably show up, I don't know the lore well enough to say who would be in the vault, but I expect it to be a specific character rather than like a broader group/race like shadow demons. I don't know if Merlin fits in with that though, but it will probably be some previously established character who's in there. Hell given how AoW3 can end with the dreadnought guy and the commonwealth, and that it seems like the second DLC is going to continue the story, it could be one of those guys.
I'm assuming vault boy is Inioch and the shadow demons are the growing shadow.

E: though the archons having the all-devourer in a box and letting him out to fight the shadowborn would be pretty funny

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 19, 2023

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

LLSix posted:

How does being evil help?

High culture has a thing called Alignment Agenda, where they get rewards for being fully good, fully evil, or neutral. Being full evil means all of your units start combat awakened.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'm assuming vault boy is Inioch and the shadow demons are the growing shadow.

mmm... maybe though I would personally not be surprised if it wasn't him, given we already had fake Inioch in mission 4. Though how much that counts for is probably highly debatable, maybe it doesn't count for anything. He does fit with being an old enemy of the archons though.

e: And I guess thematically it also makes sense for one of his descendants to again bring him back and cause him to wreak havoc.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 19, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ceramic Shot posted:

Sounds like the 6th tier Nature affinity empire upgrade, Wild Expansion, that gives you a unit every time a province is annexed by your cities or vassals, based on the terrain annexed. It's so good.

that ability is also broken/bugged, because every time you transfer a province between cities, or replace the province (say, mine with farm or whatever), it gives you *another* unit

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Truga posted:

transfer a province between cities

You can do this? Mind pointing out how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bobtheconqueror posted:

High culture has a thing called Alignment Agenda, where they get rewards for being fully good, fully evil, or neutral. Being full evil means all of your units start combat awakened.

Yup. Once awakened, they're the archer with the best available range on a basic attack, especially once you tack on the full XP benefit as well as the enchantment buff.

If you're not planning to use enchantments, though, the arbalest is at a basic level superior to the other archers.