Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

kalel posted:

so does this mean they're releasing less planeswalker cards in the future? are they intending for battles to be a side-grade because they've exhausted the design space for walkers?

1 I think I heard something along those lines but can't source it.

2 Probably, but I don't think we'll see battles again in the next couple sets. I feel like MOM was a test run to see how people would react to battles, and if they flopped we wouldn't see much of them in the future, but they're definitely not a flop. There's a lot more design than space for battles an you can also put them further down in rarity than planeswalkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seems like they could print a common Planeswalker if they wanted. Starts with 1 loyalty, has abilities in line with a 1 or 2 drop at most. A dog got so excited waiting for food in doggie bowl it sparked and now it can -1 to scry or +1 to gain 2 health.

No ultimate, it's just a dog.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I was going to suggest that they are going to introduce creatures that can gain their spark to become planeswalker but they already did that with flipwalkers and to a lesser extent, creatures that level up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wizards hears this and will soon announce a card type that uses and can flip to all six sides of the card for increased modularity

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Khanstant posted:

Seems like they could print a common Planeswalker if they wanted. Starts with 1 loyalty, has abilities in line with a 1 or 2 drop at most. A dog got so excited waiting for food in doggie bowl it sparked and now it can -1 to scry or +1 to gain 2 health.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

In terms of more battles in the future - multiple sets are always in design at the same time so we probably won't see more battles soon. Similar to how Sagas first appeared in Dominaria in 2018 but didn't reappear until 6 sets later in Theros Beyond Death in 2020

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Wezlar posted:

In terms of more battles in the future - multiple sets are always in design at the same time so we probably won't see more battles soon. Similar to how Sagas first appeared in Dominaria in 2018 but didn't reappear until 6 sets later in Theros Beyond Death in 2020
I feel like we will definitely have some in LOTR, but maybe I am wrong.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Khanstant posted:

they already printed a 1-mana planeswalker

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/1df4f893735a483ba2457a42b119f6c2

Doing one more MAT draft before it goes away, once again only one card seemed even relevant, I did manage to scoop up a raredraft responsibly in the back half of a pack with nothing else lol (theoretically I do have a planeswalker that Deification could work with...)

I never thought I would ever go "ho-hum, Invasion of New Phyrexia again" but i do think it is the mythic rare I've played the most now lol

Edit: oh it actually is (this doesn't count the one I just did since it's MAT)

lmao completely wasting these mythic rare bomb opportunities, 2-3. Probably was needlessly aggressive trying to get and flip Invasion of New Phyrexia but it kept landing in the 3-spot on my curve lol and I cast it every game.

I have enjoyed this format a lot but once a week is probably the right thing for it at this point, I might play it over the Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow when those come back

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao completely wasting these mythic rare bomb opportunities, 2-3. Probably was needlessly aggressive trying to get and flip Invasion of New Phyrexia but it kept landing in the 3-spot on my curve lol and I cast it every game.

I have enjoyed this format a lot but once a week is probably the right thing for it at this point, I might play it over the Midnight Hunt/Crimson Vow when those come back

Copying Imoti with See Double won't get you a cascade.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I took the p1p1 signal of djeru and hazoret and rode it into my third trophy with a disgusting r/w equipment/Valduk/Backup deck with 3x Hangar Scrounger, 2x Mirror-Shield Hoplite and 2x Enduring Bondwarden. Also had the legendary Smith that gives equipped creatures double strike when attacking, and the white legendary that draws a card when you play and equipment, aura, or vehicle.

I also got passed a Kor Halberd, Beamtown Beatstick and the Convoke Greatsword.

It got very ugly for my opponents after t1

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

lol well then I feel like I got value out of getting that countered, that's good to know

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

I watched Sonio See Double on an opponents Memory Deluge, which was pretty funny

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I've had multiple opponents see double on my battles, then attack to flip them and watch as it gets exiled for good. Pretty funny until I did it myself

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

plainswalker75 posted:

her sword arms were just like big gloves or something and not full replacements, so they just kinda fell off :shrug:

lol just immensely bad storytelling

"the cyborg zombie demons invaded my mind to turn me against my allies and corrupted my body into a grotesque weapon of carna....oh wait that sword claw just pops right off. nevermind, all good"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Mat Cauthon posted:

lol just immensely bad storytelling

"the cyborg zombie demons invaded my mind to turn me against my allies and corrupted my body into a grotesque weapon of carna....oh wait that sword claw just pops right off. nevermind, all good"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

First win with my Ichormoon Gauntlet deck with Monastery Mentor and now Deification in the mix... I didn't get to cast it but I was about to so it counts lol

Went back to UW for consistency over slightly more bomby topend and Thoughtseize... I needed to make room for the Mentors in any case. It is a bit pile-y -- the walker selection I think I'm ok with but I wonder if I could finesse the interaction spells

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013
Any advice for how to build this draft deck? I feel like I could switch it to UG for invasion pyrulea, splashing black. But also my build might be most consistent? Lots more fiddly bits w urn and surveyor and racer that I'm not sure whether or not I want. Should I try to splash Bruichlad?

actually I forgot I finally put 17lands on, so people can go through and do better than me outright: https://www.17lands.com/draft/a786099f4d14450f82c094fea67d2928

Ultimatefire fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2023

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:rip:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

lol

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

loving LMAO

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Ultimatefire posted:

Any advice for how to build this draft deck? I feel like I could switch it to UG for invasion pyrulea, splashing black. But also my build might be most consistent? Lots more fiddly bits w urn and surveyor and racer that I'm not sure whether or not I want. Should I try to splash Bruichlad?

actually I forgot I finally put 17lands on, so people can go through and do better than me outright: https://www.17lands.com/draft/a786099f4d14450f82c094fea67d2928

I would punt the Protocol Knight and Flitting Guerrila and 2x Island for the BR Caves, a Mountain, Skittering Surveyor and Brudiclad.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
code:
Deck
3 Feast of the Victorious Dead (MAT) 30
8 Swamp (ONE) 269
9 Plains (ONE) 267
2 Rabble Rousing (SNC) 24
3 Vanquish the Horde (MID) 41
4 Skrelv's Hive (ONE) 34
4 Lunarch Veteran (MID) 27
4 Voice of the Blessed (VOW) 44
4 Sheoldred's Edict (ONE) 108
4 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
2 Mirrex (ONE) 254
3 Rite of Oblivion (MID) 237
3 Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim (DMU) 198
2 The Celestus (MID) 252
2 Mondrak, Glory Dominus (ONE) 23
3 Jadar, Ghoulcaller of Nephalia (MID) 108
Finally a version of this deck that I think is mythic-capable. Am I just late to the party with my stubborn insistence on not netdecking, because I seen a lot of scoops based on turn 2 jadar turn 3 feast.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Caused a rope with this this deck lol... Pithing needle collapsing the opponent feels real good, ngl

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

gotta ask, what was the opening hand you kept

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I would guess it was like, 3 mountains, squee, the thing in the graveyard, and 2 black cards, so not an insanely unreasonable keep.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
correct. I was on the play and figured I'd draw into a swamp in my first three.

I didnt

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Untapped reminding me that the odds of drawing the other color land is usually 25-27% has gotten me off trying to keep those hands lol

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I pretty much always assume I will not draw the other color in a two-color deck. If my 2-4 lands don't have both colors, it's a mull. I would rather have no action than no lands to do anything.

It's probably a lovely heuristic, but the early game is so drat important.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Ultimatefire posted:

Definitely splash Brudiclad, card is pretty nuts. I'd cut Rona for Brudi but keep the spells the same. Maybe Surveyor for Freewheeler?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Drafted a dream UR deck, went 3-3 where all three losses were thanks to 3-land mana screws. Gimmi my gems back Arena :argh:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Drafted a dream UR deck, went 3-3 where all three losses were thanks to 3-land mana screws. Gimmi my gems back Arena :argh:
I would simply use the Convoke mechanic to cast my more expensive cards

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Drafting. P1P1 Atraxa, so I pick up every blighted burgeoning I could find and got 3 in the first pack. Second pack I am getting good UB cards. Third pack I get rewarded with Seedcore Shark and Archpriest of shadows.

Three games in and I have yet to see Atraxa, but Seedcore Shark has been burying opponents with my high count of noncreature spells.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rickiep00h posted:

I pretty much always assume I will not draw the other color in a two-color deck. If my 2-4 lands don't have both colors, it's a mull. I would rather have no action than no lands to do anything.

It's probably a lovely heuristic, but the early game is so drat important.

I'm so bad if I have to mull at all I might as well concede. In arena draft anyway with no free mulligans, in store we get at least 1 free. Standard bo1 not as much of a problem but rarely mull there anyway outside of true disasters.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Toozler posted:

I would punt the Protocol Knight and Flitting Guerrila and 2x Island for the BR Caves, a Mountain, Skittering Surveyor and Brudiclad.

elbkaida posted:

Definitely splash Brudiclad, card is pretty nuts. I'd cut Rona for Brudi but keep the spells the same. Maybe Surveyor for Freewheeler?

Thanks for advice, Brudi is in fact nuts. Only went 4-3, suffered from not having any topend removal, but won with some real blowouts that just curved perfectly :kiss: For how much I missed Amonkhet & Halo Forager in this shell, I consider that a good record!! (probably could have had a chance in last match if I mulliganed, whoopsie)

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I'm so bad if I have to mull at all I might as well concede. In arena draft anyway with no free mulligans, in store we get at least 1 free. Standard bo1 not as much of a problem but rarely mull there anyway outside of true disasters.

I have a personal belief that if someone has to mull twice they've already lost. However, in limited I've had games where I've mulled to 4 and managed a win. Losing in limited is punishing enough so if I'm gonna mull I'll at least go down swinging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Horace Kinch posted:

I have a personal belief that if someone has to mull twice they've already lost. However, in limited I've had games where I've mulled to 4 and managed a win. Losing in limited is punishing enough so if I'm gonna mull I'll at least go down swinging.

I just assume variance can affect me just as much as anyone else, including my opponent, and so if my hand seems to be playable or moving toward my goal, that's good enough, in all honesty. I know there are whole strategy articles written on the math of mulligans, but gently caress math, I'm playing vibes. Believe in the heart of the cards n poo poo.

Unrelatedly, I'm playing in a paper Legacy tourney next month for an Underground Sea and I haven't played Legacy in an even remotely competitive environment since 2009. VIBEZ.