Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia stans have all the evidence they need that Patriot is 100% destroyed and in tiny bits and pieces.

https://twitter.com/_Surovikin_/status/1659309252492574720?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HvAuIi02AE&t=74s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I gotta wonder if they're getting US assistance on these to make sure they land with the terminally online western audience

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1659228602104270849?s=20

because they're good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

pmchem posted:

because they're good

To me that's evidence that they are not getting assistance. Any ad designed by one of those contractors is garbage. Ask yourself, do any of the great posters post by committee?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ukrainians have always been legendary poo poo posters.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The way this war is being fought, even somewhat by the Russians, is related to the WWII terror bombing in that it demonstrated the need for precision weapons.

Not to excuse LeMay or McNamara or Bomber Harris in anyway but with the tools they had, three hour long trains of bombers with a 500 meter CEP, there wasn’t a lot of options. Either don’t hit those targets, hit those targets by flying low altitude daylight raids and have your forces crippled by the defenders or fly high altitude and be indiscriminate.

Precision weapons (and stealth aircraft) give the target planners the capability to hit critical targets in populated areas and minimize casualties. At least in theory as we’ve seen that imprecise precision weapons still manage to cause a lot of collateral damage.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Vladimir the Vincible has a certain ring to it that will look well in the history books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
1) publish an article saying "the people" are calling him Vladimir the Vincible.
2) Add it to the wiki page as a known sobriquet.
3) fight the war with the wiki editors
4) once mainstream news picks up on it cite them using it as more evidence

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

Russia stans have all the evidence they need that Patriot is 100% destroyed and in tiny bits and pieces.

https://twitter.com/_Surovikin_/status/1659309252492574720?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HvAuIi02AE&t=74s

Those launcher boxes are disposable, so those cover plates are evidence of nothing other than a missile being fired.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Those launcher boxes are disposable, so those cover plates are evidence of nothing other than a missile being fired.

That is my point, yeah. They’re gloating over the quasi-sabot components and the expended canister cover dunnage being on the ground after launches.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

That is my point, yeah. They’re gloating over the quasi-sabot components and the expended canister cover dunnage being on the ground after launches.

Glorious Russian system not so wasteful. It burn up everything, including operator!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Ukrainians have always been legendary poo poo posters.

their shitposting was so powerful 400 years ago that a painting of it made two hundred years later remains popular today

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

shame on an IGA posted:

their shitposting was so powerful 400 years ago that a painting of it made two hundred years later remains popular today

Yesssssssssss I knew what this was gonna be

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Knew what it was, clicked anyway. :ukraine:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

shame on an IGA posted:

LMAO find the pic of the UA dudes recreation please I'm begging

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wasabi the J posted:

I need to see that picture.

Meanwhile, have the Peter Capaldi's reading of it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

The guy reading the Sultan's part has some pro reactions to Capaldi.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

saved and lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Enjoy it for what it is, just keep in mind that's Azov Battalion when it was at it's most problematic.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Isn't most of the "Azov are nazis" stuff basically just targeted russian agitprop because Azov humiliated Russia at Mariupol?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Fivemarks posted:

Isn't most of the "Azov are nazis" stuff basically just targeted russian agitprop because Azov humiliated Russia at Mariupol?

Pretty hard to quantify "most" in that, especially since they're still running around with actual nazi symbols and stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fivemarks posted:

Pre-Mariupol Azov had a whole lot of Nazis in it. Then they were mostly killed.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Pre-Mariupol Azov had a whole lot of Nazis in it. Then they were mostly killed.

My impression was that removing a lot of the Nazi parts happened well before 2022, when they got properly integrated into Ukraine's armed forces between 2014-2022 rather than being an independent paramilitary squad. But I also feel like we're not going to get any clear information on it for a while as long as there are a lot of people who have an interest in pushing either "Azov was never that bad, you can support Ukraine without worrying about it" or "Azov was always 100% nazis, which is a proof that all Ukrainians are 100% nazis, thus you should never support Ukraine." when the truth on that point is likely somewhere in the middle and, most importantly, should not stop anyone supporting Ukraine.

Wikipedia posted:

In 2017, according to Foreign Affairs magazine, "After the union [with the National Guard], the government's first act was to root out two groups within Azov, foreign fighters and neo-Nazis, by vetting group members with background checks, observations during training, and a law requiring all fighters to accept Ukrainian citizenship. Fighters who did not pass this screening were offered the chance to join civilian volunteer corps to help the war effort; these corps assisted police, cleared snow (a crucial task in Ukraine), and even worked on a public radio."

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Neonazis clearing snow I consider harmless, but them "helping" the police or doing radio broadcasts seems problematic

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Near as I can tell, Azov started out run by right-wing neo-Nazis, but after 2014, these people largely left or were pushed out as Azov was 'nationalized' into the armed forces. There's probably still a number of Azov soldiers with neo-Nazi beliefs (the patches keep turning up) but then again, there's neo-Nazis scattered all over the armed forces in region so I don't know if Azov has more than you'd randomly see in equivalent Ukranian or Russian units.

Personally, I would say the most generally concerning issue is the ongoing respect Ukrainians have for Bandera (and OUN) as a nationalist icon, where they gloss over or just ignore the collaboration with Nazi Germany. But if the Poles can overlook it, I guess it's not a huge issue nowadays? I'm not from EE - skeletons in closets all over.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Fivemarks posted:

In 2014, at the war's start, Ukraine had recruiting, equipment, and financial crises. Azov Battalion was an out and proud name for the gang of neo-nazis signing up to fight. They had no qualms with their hitler-tattoos or talks of white supremacy. They weren't trying to hide it or anything like that. Now, what did make them remarkable compared to lots of other European nazis is that they were willing to fight, and die, and get financed to do so, instead of just beating immigrants on the streets. That was pretty outstanding during that time when Ukrainian Armed Forces struggled to get quality troops. Azov's reputation also enabled them to recruit foreigners who brought more skill to the game. It was an out-and-proud neo-nazi paramilitary militia, but it was a pretty decent one (Fighting ability) as far as they go.

It was forcibly integrated with the Ukrainian National Guard in late 2014.

Eventually the whole nazi-thing became a crutch, and lots of American and EU help became conditioned on removing Azov-connections or preventing them from getting help. To accomplish this, the National Guard used it's power, as it was its unit now, to remove controversial officers and the loudest nazis out of it to clean the image.

When some units were running during the War in Donbass, Azov was literally publishing their PT-uniforms for training:

It's not any kind of defence of Nazism or neonazism to acknowledge that the idea of getting rid of the Azov Battalion was not a very militarily sound one during that early part. Anyway, it gets hazier in my knowledge from there on out, but during this new larger part of the war, Azov units are all around, and in no way part of some neonazi club with a sinister world agenda. Are there nazis in there? drat right there's some mixed in. Is the history of the unit squeaky clean? Nope. But today it is a pretty bog standard higher tier fighting unit and people don't sign up to because they are nazis, they sign up because it's a way to make sure they get great gear, good training, and veterans to lead them. There's multiple Azov-border guard units, Azov infiltration, Azov military intelligence units, et cetera. "Azov" is becoming a term like "Jäger" to designate a certain heritage or type of training.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 19, 2023

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If I remember correctly, in the beginning Ukraine only had about 5000 reliable fighters total in 2014. In those desperate times, they couldn't afford to turn down any help, no matter who it was. Times have changed since then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Russia also killed most of them, which, in the long run, won't help with the neo-Nazi thing at all!

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Rust Martialis posted:

Personally, I would say the most generally concerning issue is the ongoing respect Ukrainians have for Bandera (and OUN) as a nationalist icon, where they gloss over or just ignore the collaboration with Nazi Germany. But if the Poles can overlook it, I guess it's not a huge issue nowadays? I'm not from EE - skeletons in closets all over.

A lot of that is really a matter of what you choose to emphasise.

Just about all the American founding fathers were racist, owned slaves, genocided indigenous populations etc, but that's not the reason they have statues and streets named after them.

Ukrainians don't have Bandera statues because he hated Jews and worked with the Nazis, other attributes are emphasised. I don't think it's a great idea to have those monuments and I'm not a fan of Bandera, but it's not completely different from Georgia and Russia having a bunch of Stalin monuments all over, or the US naming every street they can after some racist old slave owner.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The neo-Nazi who founded Azov is still running around taking credit for their stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andriy_Biletsky

Every so often someone turns up for an interview with an ~~unfortunate~~ visible tattoo or patch, but it's nowhere near as endemic as Russian propaganda likes to portray. There's still a lot of de-nazification left to do, though.

It's also worth noting that the Russian definition of Nazi is not the commonly held definition, but for Russians means "anti-Russian", which is why their media can scream about "Ukro-nazis" constantly while harboring forces like Wagner and Rusich with no irony.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 19, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Ukraine's getting the F-16 timeline for delivery unclear but not for this counteroffensive

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/us-allies-plan-provide-ukrainian-pilots-f-16-fighter-jets-official-say-rcna85270

quote:

HIROSHIMA, Japan — America and its allies plan to provide F-16s to Ukraine — although the fighter jets may not necessarily come directly from the United States — as part of a long-term effort to strengthen the country's security, a senior Biden administration official said Friday.

The timing for when Ukraine will receive the fighter jets — and which countries will provide them — remains unclear, but the official said the planes would not be used for Ukraine's upcoming counteroffensive against Russia. In the coming months, the U.S. and its allies “will decide when to actually provide jets, how many we will provide, and who will provide them,” the official said. The news comes as President Joe Biden on Friday informed leaders of leading industrialized nations that the U.S. will support efforts to train Ukrainian pilots on F-16s.

“Discussions about improving the Ukrainian air force reflect our long-term commitment to Ukraine’s self-defense," the senior administration official said.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has repeatedly called on the U.S. to provide F-16s, but Biden had so far refused the requests. In February, Biden said in an interview with ABC News that U.S. military advice showed that Ukraine did not need F-16s at the time.

“I’m ruling it out for now,” he had said about sending F-16s to Ukraine.

Officials from France and Poland had previously expressed openness to providing Ukraine with the advanced fighter jets. But any transfer of the American-made planes requires permission from the U.S. government.

News of the decision to provide Ukraine with F-16s comes as Biden attends a Group of Seven summit in Japan.

The U.S. and its allies' joint effort to train Ukrainian pilots on the jets could start in the coming weeks, the official said. The training “will take place outside Ukraine at sites in Europe and will require months to complete," the official continued.

Colin Kahl, the Pentagon's top policy official, previously told Congress that training Ukrainian pilots on F-16s could take “about 18 months.” Other U.S. defense officials have said the training could be shortened to only six to nine months based on pilots' previous training and knowledge of fighter aircraft.

In his appearance before the House Armed Services Committee, Kahl said that it could cost up to $11 billion to revitalize Ukraine's military with F-16 jets. G-7 leaders have not announced who would pay to provide Ukraine with the planes.

In March, NBC News reported that two Ukrainian pilots were in the U.S. undergoing an assessment to determine how long it could take to train them to fly attack aircraft, including F-16s. Washington had also approved bringing up to 10 more Ukrainian pilots to the U.S. for further assessment.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

pmchem posted:

I gotta wonder if they're getting US assistance on these to make sure they land with the terminally online western audience

because they're good

This is a loving banger

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

pmchem posted:

because they're good

ukraine engaged (and received a bunch of work pro bono from iirc) several of the best pr shops in Europe pretty much the moment hostilities started. So yeah if it looks super professional it's because it is. idk if the US is behind it or would even need to be.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
America is not the birthplace, nor the authority, on shitposting. Ukrainians are perfectly capable of doing it in-house.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

About loving time.

Except that it isn't even loving time yet. Goddamnit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pmchem posted:

because they're good

Elmo this I'd what a real poster looks like

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pmchem posted:

because they're good

Ukranians are good by themselves. If they've not demonstrated this to you by now then I don't know what more they have to do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6Dvt1UNx8

This is such a specific callout to a specific section of the American populace who saw 90s chevrolet commercials. Their level of insight is pretty wild.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1659666109820293120?t=J22TbaFInIzAVrnOG4vGLQ&s=19

I'm not seriously considering this. Killing Shoigu would be interrupting your enemy while he's making a mistake and vacate his job for someone who might be more competent.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj6Dvt1UNx8

This is such a specific callout to a specific section of the American populace who saw 90s chevrolet commercials. Their level of insight is pretty wild.

I mean I suppose literally almost everyone who watched TV during the 90s counts as "a specific section of the American populace", but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There is no one more competent. Just himars him, and then next command post do the same thing.