Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Schwartz almost got in a fight with Jim Harbaugh, somehow managed to get a guy getting tackled and being clearly down at the 25 into a touchdown against his own team, and the Lions consistently played like undisciplined goofs under him.

I can see the surface level comparisons to Campbell, they're both meatheads, but Schwartz was a stupid hothead. Campbell's a teddy bear compared to him and the meathead stuff is a put-on on his part, he's at least partially doing a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think the meathead stuff is very genuine, he’s just a posi-bro type of meathead as opposed to a Richie Incognito type freak.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Blowjob Overtime posted:

"Do you believe in 9/11" is such a funny phrase, it makes me laugh every time that Kizer bit comes up.

Rodgers shoulda signed in Seattle under Pete Carroll

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think the meathead stuff is very genuine, he’s just a posi-bro type of meathead as opposed to a Richie Incognito type freak.

That's true, but there is also stuff like, he straight-up lied about the Penei Sewell play to give the credit for it to Ben Johnson. I think he kinda likes making people think he's a doofus and leans into it on purpose, whether it's to make people underestimate the Lions or just to try and talk up the people around him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Campbell isn’t stupid, so he’s not a meat head, even if he pretends to be one sometimes.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh I think Schwartz and Campbell are appreciably different people, I just think that their careers with the Lions through two seasons are hitting a few similar beats. Which would mean playoffs for Detroit this upcoming season, I don't hate that :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wonder if we'll get a slow-mo shot of the opposing QB frantically licking his hands this time.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The Patriot Way(TM) is arguably toxic

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

R.D. Mangles posted:

The nears will never win another super bowl or have a 4,000 yard passer.

The latter is true but I think the former is more likely than the average team. The league wants the Bears to be good so bad, as soon as we put some good seasons together we’ll be getting all the ref scams and rigged games we can get

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Skepticism towards the Lions is always warranted, and I try to limit my hype levels to "cautious optimism" at the most. It's certainly entirely possible for the wheels to still fall off at this point, and a few key injuries could still derail the entire season.

That being said, there's something about how the team is being built that feels more sustainable than in past years. The 2011 playoff team was built on the back of Stafford2Megatron (with a healthy dose of Jahvid Best before his brain exploded), 2014 came from an insanely talented defense (that lost all its talent the moment the season was over), and 2016 was all about the bullshit comebacks. And in terms of coaches, Schwartz was able to get his team to play but melted down at crucial moments, and Caldwell could get his team to play to their level of talent but not much more beyond that.

But with Campbell and Holmes so far, the team feels like it's being built from the foundation to succeed. There's not really a lot of star players or gimmicks with this team, just a bunch of dudes that are good at football and want to do their best for coaches they like - coaches who in turn who do their best to put their players in positions where they can succeed. The offense last year is the big showcase of this effect: they were one of the best offenses in the league last year, with an average-at-best QB under center and the top skill player being a mid-round pick with no outstanding physical traits.

They still have a lot to prove - they did start the season going 1-6 last year, after all - but it's hard not to be optimistic about the team given the progress they've shown so far.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

2014 came from an insanely talented defense (that lost all its talent the moment the season was over),

Hey guys the offense just got stopped by an extremely unfortunate no-call and the special teams hosed up by shanking a punt, now would be a great time for you to make a play of some kind, ah, well, nevertheless.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1658164569586425857?s=20

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Good riddance

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

All the lovely Chicago teams love talking about "culture".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Can't figure out what's sadder. A team signed him or the part where he started 40 games for the Bears.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Culture only really matters when you're on the way up or you sustain winning. Nobody talks about lovely teams with great culture for very long.

The Raptors were known for their great culture but it evaporated quick when they became unwatchable trash.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Building a championship culture is what all teams say. It’s pretty meaningless whether they actually become good or not

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like you can’t say to the media we are fine with losing actually, we think it’s extremely cool

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Skepticism towards the Lions is always warranted, and I try to limit my hype levels to "cautious optimism" at the most. It's certainly entirely possible for the wheels to still fall off at this point, and a few key injuries could still derail the entire season.

That being said, there's something about how the team is being built that feels more sustainable than in past years. The 2011 playoff team was built on the back of Stafford2Megatron (with a healthy dose of Jahvid Best before his brain exploded), 2014 came from an insanely talented defense (that lost all its talent the moment the season was over), and 2016 was all about the bullshit comebacks. And in terms of coaches, Schwartz was able to get his team to play but melted down at crucial moments, and Caldwell could get his team to play to their level of talent but not much more beyond that.

But with Campbell and Holmes so far, the team feels like it's being built from the foundation to succeed. There's not really a lot of star players or gimmicks with this team, just a bunch of dudes that are good at football and want to do their best for coaches they like - coaches who in turn who do their best to put their players in positions where they can succeed. The offense last year is the big showcase of this effect: they were one of the best offenses in the league last year, with an average-at-best QB under center and the top skill player being a mid-round pick with no outstanding physical traits.

They still have a lot to prove - they did start the season going 1-6 last year, after all - but it's hard not to be optimistic about the team given the progress they've shown so far.

Definitely important to remember that half the salary cap was tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. As much as they deserved their money the suppressed rookie contracts make it much easier to have depth.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Definitely important to remember that half the salary cap was tied up in Stafford, Megatron and Suh. As much as they deserved their money the suppressed rookie contracts make it much easier to have depth.

What's so crazy is that when looking at the numbers, Stafford getting 6y/$72m as a rookie isn't that much different than the 4y/~42m deal that Bryce Young will sign. It's just that the cap is up almost 2x -- $123m to $224.8m -- so it's a much smaller percentage.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The cap being almost double does in fact make it much different

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

I only started watching football in 2011, my understanding is that the Lions had the misfortune of getting their top tier generational talents at basically the worst possible time financially or something?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MJeff posted:

I only started watching football in 2011, my understanding is that the Lions had the misfortune of getting their top tier generational talents at basically the worst possible time financially or something?

Calvin is the only one that was truly generational (though Suh as a prospect was among the best ever at his position) but basically yeah.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Uh, Super Bowl Champion Matthew Stafford is a generational talent by any measure*, sir.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://theathletic.com/4529890/2023/05/18/bears-travis-bell-kennesaw-state/

A good writeup on Travis Bell.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

All the lovely Chicago teams love talking about "culture”

I think the lovely Chicago Blackhawks would prefer if nobody talked about their culture.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

MJeff posted:

Yeah, before the 2011 CBA there was no rookie wage scale, so draft picks could negotiate like free agents. This lead to situations like Jamarcus Russel getting a 6 year, $68 million contract (one of the highest-paid players in the league) and nearly half the Lions' 2012 salary cap being taken up by only four players (Staff, Suh, Megatron, and Kyle Vanden Bosch). The cap situation created by the high-priced rookie contracts wasn't the only reason the Lions' rebuild stalled out in the Schwartz years, but it certainly didn't help.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Yeah the NBA lottery really shattered my optimism even for the Lions. I’m down horrendous over here.

it's been days and I still think about that loving #5 pick every half hour and get pissed off again, god loving dammit

that said my new hot take is that the entire division will be mediocre this year:

- Chicago will improve on the back of a developing Fields/Moore combo and win a few more games
- Detroit will add a win or two but mostly by beating up on a weak conference; they'll win the division but be a first-round exit
- Green Bay will be about the same with a marginally better defense and a moderately worse offense, maybe dropping a couple of games
- Minnesota will have fewer lucky breaks and lose a couple of close games, maybe getting a wild card slot

I don't think any of us wins fewer than 5 games or more than 10 games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Vikings will win 11 games

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The old adage was 1/2 last year's wins +4. (everyone goes towards 8-8). The extra game screws that up, so add a half win and round up I guess

Vikings from 13 to 11
Lions from 9 to 9
Packers from 8 to 9
Bears from 3 to 6.

Seems about right. Vikes and lions probably tie at 10 wins atop the division

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It has now been over 900 days since Matt Patricia was employed by the Lions.

Glory hallelujah.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Gonz posted:

It has now been over 900 days since Matt Patricia was employed by the Lions.

Glory hallelujah.

inshallah

In other Lions news, Frank Ragnow said he hurt his toe again in Week 1 last year, and that it's currently "inoperable" since there's not enough healthy tissue left :gonk:

https://twitter.com/davebirkett/status/1659316970003615744?s=20

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Frank, do a Ronnie Lott and cut the toe off.

Get a robo-toe in it’s place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Remember when he played with a broken throat?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Excited as hell to watch this Detroit team in action. They’re impossible not to like (from outside the division of course)

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Amy Pole Her posted:

Excited as hell to watch this Detroit team in action. They’re impossible not to like (from outside the division of course)

Even as a bears fan, they look fun. It'd be nice to see the rivalries switch up and its chi/det continually vying for the division. I hope you lose against us of course. Detroit, no one hates you except yourselves. Thats how you know its been bad for a while.

E: tbf...greenbay hates you cause you keep pissin on them. But it makes me so happy.

ZombieCrew fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 19, 2023

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
St. Brown bros had Mooney on and they did a bit of Lions/Bears shittalk. It will be fun.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mitch just got an extension

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

I implore you to not place any emotional investment into the Detroit Lions until they prove that they deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

C-Euro posted:

I implore you to not place any emotional investment into the Detroit Lions until they prove that they deserve it.

Too late